Trial Run for Dogs in Resort Rooms

Do you think dogs should be allowed in guests' rooms?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, they allow dogs at the Loews resorts (Universal). How does it work there? I haven't stayed at Universal for a very long time, but I don't recall having issues with it. (Of course, I'm a vet. I do hear ya on the cleaning and the yap potential. AND the lawsuit potential - Disney is gonna get sued but good the first time there is an "incident.")

That said, there is a big, big difference between allowing dogs in certain areas at some of the resorts and foisting this post-purchase on DVC members.

edited to say - Looks like at the applicable Universal hotels, people aren't allowed to leave their dogs in the room while they're gone... rooms are deep cleaned, and dogs are allowed only in "pet friendly" rooms. Not a lot of actual detail on the Loews pages.

http://blog.touringplans.com/2014/08/15/review-loews-loves-pets-universal-orlando-resort/

and more recently: https://www.undercovertourist.com/blog/pets-at-universal-orlando-hotels/ (they specify the part about not leaving the dog in the room)

Last edited:
I'm more curious than anything, I wonder; why did they make this move?

As for being concerned... I'll wait and see. Disney knows all the possible repercussions (flea management, etc...) and apparently thinks they can handle it. The only thing that would bother me is barking.

because they can get an extra $50-$75/night and they probably got the idea after they managed after they allowed pets in the hotels during Hurricane Irma

Right now, I know a lot of us have questions, but here are some random thoughts I had:

1. I hope that this is a trial, but if not, that they limit the pet friendly resorts and do not expand to all resorts.
  2. If it is like the campground, they will have specific rooms/buildings/areas for dogs.
  3. A loop of cabins at FW would not be too bad for dogs, but in a typical hotel room, just no.
  4. I wonder if this is for the "support" dogs that are not really ADA support dogs.
  5. I do not think I would want my dogs in a hotel room with me for anything.
And that is my 3 minute though on this topic until actual information is released on how this will work.

The article I read mentioned something about the items that would be received at check in and one of them was a "dog walking map" so maybe they are restricted to certain areas?

I saw that too, but it will likely be like the smoking areas. That's only allowed in certain areas and yet I see people smoking outside of them all the time and staff seems to do nothing.

I'm all for it, I know go ahead and flame me. We have a little yorkie and she goes everywhere we go so we always stay in dog friendly hotels. I have never, not once been woken up in the middle of the night with a dog barking. I've been woken up with kids screaming, I've been woken up with couples fighting, I've been woken up with drunks in the hallway but never a dog barking. I have never seen dog poop on the grounds either, most dog owners are pretty good about scooping. Our dog is potty pad trained, which means she doesn't have to go outside to go to the bathroom, as a matter of fact she won't poop outside because she doesn't like anyone seeing her do it. As a matter of fact I'm going to my son's best friend's wedding next weekend in Jacksonville, my honey has to be out of town working that weekend so the dog has to come with me. She can't be boarded because she is very people dependent and won't eat if one of her people aren't around. Let's face it, most people who have pets and work outside the home leave those pets alone for at least 8 hours a day if not more so it's not really that different for the pet. I was at the Dolphin in Sept. and there was a couple there who were from the hurricane. Had two small dogs with them. The only way I knew those dogs were there was I saw her take them out one morning, I never heard a sound.

What do you think? :)

Terrible decision. I'm not a dog lover but I don't hate them either. What I cannot tolerate is irresponsible pet owners--I especially do not want to spend thousands of dollars on a vacation to be inconvenienced by them. Does Disney really think that owners will be responsible and not leave dogs in the room for more than 7 hours? Do they really believe that pet owners will leave the park to attend to their barking dog within 30 minutes? Do they trust owners to bathe, medicate, and maintain their pets so as not to bring fleas, ticks, or whatever else to the resorts?

I'm staying at the Beach Club in less than two months and, until today, was regretting booking BC rather than YC (YC's renovated rooms look great); today, I am super relieved that I booked the BC instead.

One question--why on earth would Disney allow pets in their most recently renovated rooms on property? I get that the lack of carpets will make it easier to clean up after "accidents" but I imagine that those new floors are going to get scratched up mighty quickly by unattended (or ill-attended) doggos. I sure hope that the new furniture is chew-resistant, too.

In all seriousness, I get why Disney is testing this. There are LOTS of hotels/resorts/vacation destinations that advertise themselves as pet friendly. It’s the latest trend at hotels up and down the price/quality spectrum. They are catering to a certain market that wants to bring Fido on vacation, no matter what.

But it just doesn’t seem like WDW is the right place for that kind of thing, in my humble opinion. So many kids, so many people, guests tend to leave their room for long periods of time. This isn’t like some beach resort where Fido can go run/play on the beach. There’s literally NOWHERE for a pet to go other than the room or maybe a walk around resort grounds.

I do get the Cabins - that one makes sense to me - but outside of there I’m not buying it.

Oh My, Folks! Relax!!!!!

Since everyone already has jumped to conclusions, pre-judged, etc.....

I CALLED the number provided in OFFICIAL announcement and a CM read the OFFICIAL transcript of the release. So easy to do.

-Designated Rooms ONLY in designated section of specific resorts ONLY
-Designated walking paths ONLY
-MUST be LEASHED at all times
-NO Public spaces
-NO roaming around resorts
-NO Restaurants
-NO Bars
-NO Pools
-Owners MUST present vaccination documentation
-Resorts were chosen based on their size and layout.

My guess, dear DISsers, is you probably could enjoy your Disney vacation within the bubble everyone has grown to love and will never see the furry creatures in their own little corner of the World.

Have a Magical Day!:dog:pixiedust:

Will there be a dog fee like there is an extra adult fee? In case they ruin something or for the extra deep cleanings people will request.

According to the article linked in the OP, yes. It's $50 per night for AoA, POR and Ft. Wilderness Cabins. It's $75 per night for YC.

Will there be a dog fee like there is an extra adult fee? In case they ruin something or for the extra deep cleanings people will request.
$50

I'm all for it, I know go ahead and flame me. We have a little yorkie and she goes everywhere we go so we always stay in dog friendly hotels. I have never, not once been woken up in the middle of the night with a dog barking. I've been woken up with kids screaming, I've been woken up with couples fighting, I've been woken up with drunks in the hallway but never a dog barking. I have never seen dog poop on the grounds either, most dog owners are pretty good about scooping. Our dog is potty pad trained, which means she doesn't have to go outside to go to the bathroom, as a matter of fact she won't poop outside because she doesn't like anyone seeing her do it. As a matter of fact I'm going to my son's best friend's wedding next weekend in Jacksonville, my honey has to be out of town working that weekend so the dog has to come with me. She can't be boarded because she is very people dependent and won't eat if one of her people aren't around. Let's face it, most people who have pets and work outside the home leave those pets alone for at least 8 hours a day if not more so it's not really that different for the pet. I was at the Dolphin in Sept. and there was a couple there who were from the hurricane. Had two small dogs with them. The only way I knew those dogs were there was I saw her take them out one morning, I never heard a sound.
You are a responsible pet owner and very much in the minority.

My problem is with the dogs who go to the bathroom in the room, on the floor or on the carpet, and not on their "pads" that they receive at check in. And just try and get the next dog to not smell where the previous Fido went to the bathroom....and then they will lift their leg in the same spot, too. Urine smell is not something that is easily removed from fabrics/carpets and wood/laminate floors.

People are gross enough :crazy2:, but to add dogs to the mix...no thank you.

What number can we call to reach Disney and voice our concern? Do they charge for allergy deep cleaning?

as of right now, there's no charge for the allergy cleaning. The number provided in the announcement is just the main number. I'm on hold right now...9 minutes so far.

I do not mind, however I do think there should be certain pet friendly rooms only that have the accommodations necessary. I don't think that all rooms are suited to keeping a pet in them, but if they made a dedicated block, I have no problem with it.

I agree! And they have said it would be pet friendly designated rooms.

I just posted the same on a Facebook page and got flamed for it. I just said it would be the one thing that would make me sell.
I just posted the same on a Facebook page and got flamed for it. I just said it would be the one thing that would make me sell.
Sorry you were flamed, I have been a DVC member for 20 years. they certainly did not put on their thinking caps in figuring this out. Where will the dogs go poop? On the sidewalks. lawns, near the pool areas where your children run barefoot? Members, call Member Services and say "Not at my home resort!. I will be calling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter