Travels With Teens: Take Two “I Can Organize This Trip in My Sleep!”BC Dee in DC Roti & Fini p. 40

Thank you Disney before Sally and luvpoohandcompany for your kind words! I can honestly say I love my job and my students. Twenty two years and counting!

Dee, thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions. The world needs more people like you who volunteer. I know the elementary schools have great PTO programs with many parents volunteering their time, but by high school, it's very difficult to get parents interested. I'm not sure why. Sadly, several years ago we had to entice parents to come to Meet the Teacher Night with free ice cream sundaes. Just sad....

It sounds like your administration has this trip down to a science. You have me motivated into looking more into this type of class trip and presenting it to our school board and superintendent. I'm not sure I'll get very far, but it's worth a try. What an incredible opportunity for the kids!

One more question for now. I'm assuming you're in suburban Boston and is this common in your area? Do other nearby communities do this or something similar?

Last edited:
Thank you Disney before Sally and luvpoohandcompany for your kind words! I can honestly say I love my job and my students. Twenty two years and counting!

Dee, thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions. The world needs more people like you who volunteer. I know the elementary schools have great PTO programs with many parents volunteering their time, but by high school, it's very difficult to get parents interested. I'm not sure why. Sadly, several years ago we had to entice parents to come to Meet the Teacher Night with free ice cream sundaes. Just sad....

It sounds like your administration has this trip down to a science. You have me motivated into looking more into this type of class trip and presenting it to our school board superintendent. I'm not sure I'll get very far, but it's worth a try. What an incredible opportunity for the kids!

One more question for now. I'm assuming you're in suburban Boston and is this common in your area? Do other nearby communities do this or something similar?

I am north of Boston. We are not really an affluent community, I would describe us as middle class.

This trip is pretty unique to our city. Most of the area schools go to NYC or DC, by bus. But honestly, those trips are about the same price as our trip to Florida.

Up until 2001, our school's 8th grade class trip was to Washington, DC. After 9/11, that year's class went for a day trip to Six Flags, about 2 hours away. Then the teachers looked into what would be involved in a Disney trip, and found that it was do-able. This year was the 13th Disney trip. I think if more schools knew what this trip offers and how much it costs, they would seriously consider it.

:thumbsup2

It's taken me a day and a half, but I've finished reading your previous report with Nate's class. I love your writing style and how you give so many great details. I may have to go back and read all your trip reports!

I'm impressed that your principal and teachers are devoted to this class trip, even with kids getting injured and sick. Even though all the kids are about 14, did you have anyone get homesick?

Were the special needs students included on this trip? I work with students with mild learning disabilities, who would have no problem on a trip like this, but were the more moderately disabled kids invited?

It's taken me a day and a half, but I've finished reading your previous report with Nate's class. I love your writing style and how you give so many great details. I may have to go back and read all your trip reports!

I'm impressed that your principal and teachers are devoted to this class trip, even with kids getting injured and sick. Even though all the kids are about 14, did you have anyone get homesick?

Were the special needs students included on this trip? I work with students with mild learning disabilities, who would have no problem on a trip like this, but were the more moderately disabled kids invited?

Sorry for taking so long to reply to your message. My next comment will cover that...

Thank you so much for reading the previous report and for your kind comments. It was one of my favorite reports to write because of all of the drama involved.

The teachers and principal really put in a lot of effort every year to make sure the trip goes smoothly. I haven't personally encountered any homesick kids during the two trips I was involved with. Part of it may be that there are so many parents involved that it is possible that some of the kids who might tend to get homesick could have a parent there. We are also encouraged to have the kids call home every day using our phones to touch base with family.

As far as I know, special needs kids are able to participate in the trip, but it is probably required that those students' family member(s) attend too. Two years ago, my friend and her husband accompanied her son, who has Down Syndrome and is diabetic, on the class trip. They received financial support to help them participate in the trip.

Excuses, Excuses!

Well, once again, it has taken me forever to get back to this report.

As those of you on the Beach Club FAQ thread, or Facebook know, we returned from our trip to Yellowstone, which was fantastic, and a day later I ended up in the local hospital. I was feeling lousy the last couple of days of the trip, which I attributed to the altitude. I live at sea level and we were between 6,600 and 9,000 feet in the park. When my shortness of breath did not disappear after the trip and I couldn't walk and talk at the same time, I went to the ER and was surprised to be admitted. Thankfully, all of the cardiac tests came back with good results. Final diagnosis was infection, likely pneumonia. Let me tell you, the prescription to "take it easy" is a difficult one for me to swallow.

But I didn't enjoy my night in the hospital, so I don't want to repeat that. Plus we leave in one week for Florida (4 days with family at Universal then they fly home and I join my friends at the Beach Club for a couple of days. I need to be well for that. I think my gals plan on doing a lot of drinking. Alcohol is medicinal, right?

:drinking1

Last edited:
Under the Sea and Under the Bus
(Will I get the lurch on lunch?)

After my inaugural ride on Dumbo, it was time to make a splash Under the Sea for the first time.

As I walking over, I received this text from my friend L. who was chaperoning the boys:

11:13 am We are now in Tomorrowland… is there a dining option here? Not sure we’re going to get the boys back across the park.

Flashbacks to the class trip when my plan to eat at Columbia Harbor House was Eclipsed (get it) by Cosmic Rays.
Was my best friend throwing me under the bus?

I know it pained her to send that text because she totally knew the history, and how much I wanted to eat at CHH.

11:17 am Never mind… we are headed back in that area after Stitch.

PHEW!!!

Continuing on… As I made my way through New Fantastyland, I discovered a problem. The battery on my camera was dying (the spare was back in the room) and the charge on my phone was low. I had a portable charger for my phone, but I don’t think I had a wire connection with me. Yikes!

DSCF6845.JPG

I tried to limit the pictures I was taking at The Little Mermaid queue and ride, but once again, I failed!

DSCF6848.JPG

DSCF6849.JPG

Channeling MEK:

DSCF6850.JPG

DSCF6851.JPG

DSCF6853.JPG

OK, is this picture really necessary?

DSCF6855.JPG

DSCF6856.JPG

DSCF6860.JPG

DSCF6865.JPG

Continued From Previous Post

DSCF6884.JPG

DSCF6886.JPG

DSCF6889.JPG

I popped into the Beauty & the Beast plaza, but this is as close as I got to Gaston’s tavern.

DSCF6894.JPG

It was getting close to noon and I knew my group was either at Mickey’s Philharmagic or would be going soon to finish their class. I waited by the exit to see if my group came out. I saw some of the other kids from my school, but not ours. At 12:06, S. told me she was just entering Philharmagic. I got into line and told her to let me know when they were seated. Maybe I would be in the same group/theatre and I could do this with them. But I was still in line when she texted me that they were seated.

I bailed, went back to wait at the exit, and then wondered if I had been there, would the CMs have let me in the backway to join my group. Probably not, but you never know.

Anyway, when they let out of Philharmagic, the class wrapped up and it was time to head off to lunch.

With all the hype about eating at Columbia Harbor House, these are the only 3 photos I can post because the other pictures have the kids in them.

The menu and my meal, the Anchor's Away tuna sandwich

DSCF6903.JPG

DSCF6904.JPG

DSCF6905.JPG

I think Ben got the Lighthouse hummus sandwich. My friend S. got the lobster roll, which I have heard is nasty, but it didn't look too bad and she enjoyed it. I think another chaperone got the salmon, but other than that, it was a sea of chicken nuggets.

There were 17 of us and through smart planning and some help from a CM, we were able to get a group of tables next to each other in the upstairs dining room. We actually were always able to manage to get tables together at mealtime which is good.

Everyone enjoyed sitting in the air-conditioning after the busy, hot morning.

When everyone had finished, we were ready to conquer the 3 mountains. And more!

Next up: 3 Mountains! And more!

Last edited:
I love CHH, I got the seafood Mac and cheese which was a bad choice on an August afternoon but it was yummy. I've had the lobster roll too which was good, but I'm sure they are better up in the NE :) Love all the pics Unda the sea, happy your battery survived!!

Nice update! I too hope your battery survived so we can see more pictures! I love CHH. I always have a meal there once on every trip. I've had the lighthouse sandwich, the hummus sandwich (which is probably one of my favorite "veggie" items at WDW), the fish n chips, and chicken fingers. Think I had a salad once there too (which I enjoyed as well). I've not gotten the lobster roll yet but yeah I definitely won't go to Florida for one and I wouldn't really have high expectations of it anyways. Glad you didn't end up at Cosmic Rays!

11:13 am We are now in Tomorrowland… is there a dining option here? Not sure we’re going to get the boys back across the park.
Uh oh...

I know it pained her to send that text because she totally knew the history, and how much I wanted to eat at CHH.

11:17 am Never mind… we are headed back in that area after Stitch.
That's a relief! I'm glad you didn't have your day ruined by their lunch choice!

Continuing on… As I made my way through New Fantastyland, I discovered a problem. The battery on my camera was dying (the spare was back in the room) and the charge on my phone was low. I had a portable charger for my phone, but I don’t think I had a wire connection with me. Yikes!
Way to plan ahead! :rolleyes1 :rotfl2:

There were 17 of us and through smart planning and some help from a CM, we were able to get a group of tables next to each other in the upstairs dining room. We actually were always able to manage to get tables together at mealtime which is good.
That's pretty impressive that you were consistently able to find enough seats for a group that size to sit together at all your meals. And I'm glad you finally got to go to CHH... even though I'm guessing the rest of the group probably would have been happier at Cosmic Rays based on your sea of chicken nuggets comment. :lmao:

I have actually never been to CHH. My family isn't huge on seafood. I do enjoy the Under the sea with the little mermaid and glad your battery lasted for all of the pictures.

Thank you again, Dee for answering my questions. Your kids are lucky to attend such an awesome school that arranges a class trip such as this.

I'm glad your plans weren't crushed this year! I love that Lighthouse Sandwich at CHH. Didn't the chips used to be given to you in a bag? I always liked that because I could save them for a later snack.

Dying batteries are stressful. You were able to get a lot of great photos at Little Mermaid.

Columbia Harbor House is one of the few counter service restaurants that we try to eat at every trip. I had the salmon for dinner back in February and it was delicious. It just needed to be served with rice rather than couscous to be perfect.

I'm glad you were able to eat there this time. :)

:confused3
I love CHH, I got the seafood Mac and cheese which was a bad choice on an August afternoon but it was yummy. I've had the lobster roll too which was good, but I'm sure they are better up in the NE :) Love all the pics Unda the sea, happy your battery survived!!

The seafood mac and cheese looks so good in the pictures I have seen. Were you able to get it for lunch or is only on the dinner menu? We may or may not have another opportunity to return to CHH during this trip.

I really like The Little Mermaid movie, but my boys never got into it. That was the first time I had been on the ride- I loved how my favorite songs were brought to life.

Nice update! I too hope your battery survived so we can see more pictures! I love CHH. I always have a meal there once on every trip. I've had the lighthouse sandwich, the hummus sandwich (which is probably one of my favorite "veggie" items at WDW), the fish n chips, and chicken fingers. Think I had a salad once there too (which I enjoyed as well). I've not gotten the lobster roll yet but yeah I definitely won't go to Florida for one and I wouldn't really have high expectations of it anyways. Glad you didn't end up at Cosmic Rays!

Thanks! One of the advantages of travelling with a large group is that someone else is (almost always) bound to have what you need.

I love all of the food at CHH, but I especially love the atmosphere upstairs. Usually not crowded and air-conditioned. And I love the nautical New England theming.

:sail:

Not again! It can't be happening again!

That's a relief! I'm glad you didn't have your day ruined by their lunch choice!

And it didn't...

Way to plan ahead! :rolleyes1 :rotfl2:

That wasn't my biggest planning failure that day. I am still haunted by the incident in my upcoming chapter "The golf ball made it Florida but it didn't make it to California"

That's pretty impressive that you were consistently able to find enough seats for a group that size to sit together at all your meals. And I'm glad you finally got to go to CHH... even though I'm guessing the rest of the group probably would have been happier at Cosmic Rays based on your sea of chicken nuggets comment. :lmao:

We really had a great system worked out. One or two of us would place our order with another member of our group and we would take the bags and backpacks and save the tables we needed. Sometimes the CMs would help. Sometimes other guests would offer to give up tables or let us know if they were leaving. I can't figure out why they wouldn't want to be surrounded by a group of 12 teen boys.

:confused3

I stand by my support of CHH. Although there are more meal selections at Cosmic Rays, the atmosphere and space at lunchtime at CHH is much better for a large group.

We may or may not have an opportunity to check out the offerings at Cosmic Rays later in this trip.

::yes::

I have actually never been to CHH. My family isn't huge on seafood. I do enjoy the Under the sea with the little mermaid and glad your battery lasted for all of the pictures.

I think I enjoy the atmosphere at CHH almost as much as the food. You are right- the selections for non-seafood lovers is limited, so I can definitely understand why you have avoided it.

I felt good enjoying some attractions that I know I won't be experiencing with my family!

:cool1:

Thank you again, Dee for answering my questions. Your kids are lucky to attend such an awesome school that arranges a class trip such as this.

I'm glad your plans weren't crushed this year! I love that Lighthouse Sandwich at CHH. Didn't the chips used to be given to you in a bag? I always liked that because I could save them for a later snack.

Dying batteries are stressful. You were able to get a lot of great photos at Little Mermaid.

It is going to be tough for me to be leaving this school behind after being so involved for the past 7 years. The school actually awarded me with a plaque recognizing my volunteer contributions throughout the years.

:grouphug:

Yes, some sort of kettle-cooked chips. I had to go back to my 2010 trip to find a picture of the bag. "Miss Vickies/Vickeys"

Let me get one more picture. Just one more picture!

:goodvibes

Columbia Harbor House is one of the few counter service restaurants that we try to eat at every trip. I had the salmon for dinner back in February and it was delicious. It just needed to be served with rice rather than couscous to be perfect.

I'm glad you were able to eat there this time. :)

I think Sunshine Season remains my favorite CS place, then Columbia Harbor House, followed by Tangierine Café. I enjoy the food at those places as much as some of the sit down restaurants. The salmon looked really good. If Ben hadn't been with his friends, chances are we would have made some sort of deal where we split our entrees.

::yes::

It is going to be tough for me to be leaving this school behind after being so involved for the past 7 years. The school actually awarded me with a plaque recognizing my volunteer contributions throughout the years.
That was of them to recognize how much work you did for them.

Will Ben continue with Theater in his new school?

That was of them to recognize how much work you did for them.

Will Ben continue with Theater in his new school?

I was very touched! :goodvibes:

Sadly, I think Ben is done with drama. :( He didn't audition for his last middle school play (Fiddler on the Roof), although he did work backstage at the show. He doesn't seem interested in continuing with our community theatre group either. The director of the middle school drama dept, who thinks a lot of Ben, will also be directing this years high school performance, so depending on what it is, I'll see if he is interested, but I won't push him.

I told him he has to do some extra curricular activity(ies) in high school but so far the only thing that is interesting him in so far is debate club.

:chat:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter