Travels in Orlando Part 1

Sue F UK

Florida keeps me poor...but happy
The Travellers: Me (Sue) - Planner, mine of information and enforcer of time schedules
Jorge - DH & big kid
Rebecca - DD aged 6 and world class chatterbox
The Rookies: Eileen - My Mum. Disabled ECV driver and biggest kid of them all.
John - My Dad - Disney sceptic.
Pat - Jorge’s Mum - not into Disney but wants to get a tan.

Day 1 - 17/02/02
The Journey

Leave for Manchester Airport T2 by taxi minibus and check in with no problems. US Airways are very helpful regarding ECV check-in etc. which is great as we were a bit worried having never taken it abroad before. It is an adult electric scooter and weighs over 12 stone. Mum cannot walk very well and also broke her arm in a fall last week so it is a very necessary piece of cargo. The charge for hiring one in Orlando is £200. Transport by the airline is FREE!! (That is probably the last time you will see the word ‘Free’ in these trip reports ) Breakfast in the airport is the usual rip off but then it is tradition after all.

We are overall very impressed with US Airways. Brand new A330 plane with larger seats than most and the new ‘Passport’ seat back video system. Individual control for each seat with movies, music and TV which you can stop/start, ffwd and rewind on demand. Transfer at Philadelphia through the increased security measures and then onto the Orlando flight - we are getting seriously excited now and crane our necks out of the window to see the WDW and Universal lights. I know they’re there but I can never find them...

On arrival I rush off to collect the car while the others deal with the infuriating 2 tier baggage system at Orlando International. I head on the little train for terminal B & they follow on later and head to terminal A. Both terminals are identical and neither realises that they are in the wrong place. After much searching we eventually meet up 3/4 hour later and finally head out to Kissimmee to collect our key. At Last , We’re Off!!!

The villa at Sunset Lakes is fantastic. I have been well and truly converted from Hotels. It has 5 bedrooms, two living rooms, two dining rooms (No, I don’t know why either! ) Our bedroom has it’s own balcony overlooking the lake and the en-suite bathroom is bigger than our spare bedroom at home. It has a walk in closet and a tub big enough for 2. There are two other bathrooms and a downstairs toilet, laundry room, garage and, of course, a lovely pool and lanai (that‘s patio in English) Good job the pool is heated though as the weather is a tad chilly. Quick trip to the supermarket for breakfast supplies and off to bed.

Day 2 - 18/02/02
Seaworld on Presidents Day

Wake up bright and early on the dot of 6.30am (why does everyone do this - do they programme you secretly at customs?) I lie there for a minute trying to figure out what is wriggling in the bed and pull back the covers to find a small child snuggled in with us - so much for us all having our own rooms this time. Breakfast of toast, muffins and ‘Buzz Lightyear’ cereal for Rebecca which turns out to be green and purple - Yukkk Set off for Seaworld in our lovely van only to return 10 mins later when I remember I forgot the TV. Why the TV? Because the Flextickets are on top of it!! Boom Boom! ! Oh well, I never said I was perfect, and at least I remembered before we got to the gate.

Arrive at Seaworld and head straight to Shamu Stadium for the show. Arrive 1/2 hour early and it is already busy. Park Mum in the disabled seats and sit bravely in the ‘Splash Zone’ (all be it row 14) Mum got quite teary when the trainers interacted with the Shamu Family and loved it when everyone got splashed by the Whales, especially the two ‘victims‘ who didn‘t bother to feign surprise and held their hands up as they got drenched. We stayed bone dry - the water only reached row 10.

After the show we followed the mass outside and came across the Clydesdales right outside. It created a massive bottleneck as everyone stopped for photos of the horses and the dalmation on top of the cart. 1/2 hour play in Shamu’s Happy Harbour for Rebecca and then over to the Hospitality Center for Dad and Jorge to get their free beer - and for me to get the largest slice of Chocolate Fudge cake I have ever seen! I am ashamed to admit that I left half, even with Rebecca helping me out. Jorge stumped up $6 for Becky to jump on a giant trampoline while Mum cried (again) over the Penguins. Over then to the Dolphins Show at Key West which was good but not great . After which it was too busy to move so we called it a day and headed for some retail therapy at Walmart. What a place - so large it even has it’s own McDonalds. We need more time in here so are coming back tomorrow.

Home to villa for an hour in our lovely pool, shower and over to Outback for dinner. Delicious meal of Blooming Onion, Steaks, Herb Chicken for me and Lobster for Pat. All cooked and presented perfectly. Dad had Mahi-Mahi which he said was just like Tuna. No dessert as we were too full and Becky fell asleep in her dinner so we had to make a hasty exit.

Sounds fantastic Sue. Who did you book the villa through? I'm off to read the next part. Carolyn

Sue,

Those controllable tvs sound great. It's a pain having to wait for all the cycles.

You obviously stayed at the same 'model' home that we did at Sunset Lakes. Aren't they fabulous? We had the bedroom with the balcony and the bathroom that you could get lost in if you didn't take a compass with you! Did yours have the second similar master downstairs? Whereabouts was it - maybe it was the same one!

Oooh, the Anheuser Busch Hospitality Center - one of my favourite places at Sea World. ;) We went to Fantasmic soon after it opened and got sitting next to some locals who advised us to take your own pretzels to Sea World so you can drink more free beer, LOL!

Great start Sue - thank you for writing the reports.

Good news about the Free transportation of Mum's Chair - that really surprised me :)

Looking forward to reading more - unlike Dave, I have to do some work but will be back later! LOL ;)

Thanks for the wonderful report - luv reading them!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter