• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Traveling with a Cast

InstImpres

DIS Veteran
Originally posted by txadmin
I really hate to think about renting a scooter. We would really be a spectacle then!!

I can relate but my best advise is do it anyhow! I went 2+ years ago and was sick (not a cast). The doctor advised to get a wheel chair and declined. I thought at 30 I can do this. Well, I barely made it from the hotel room to the bus and half way down mainstreet when I realized this was not happening. The scooter didn't thrill me but it made my trip really enjoyable. If you resolve to do it now, you can rent one independently and have it waiting at the hotel for you. Sometimes the parks are out of them (and the parks are much more expensive)

Good luck
Sandy

Txadmin, I'm going to put a copy of this post on our community board to see if you can get more advice from the friendly people over there.

Due to an unexpected delay in the healing of a bunionectomy, (I have been off of my foot for almost 6 months) I find myself going to WDW and on a 4 day cruise on the Wonder with my 23 year old travel agent son who himself is disabled. He gets around beautifully in his electric chair which will go with him to Florida.

My question is have any of you had any experience being at WDW in an aircast? I know I will be hot but other than that, will I be able to make it? I'm almost 60 but very active. I really hate to think about renting a scooter. We would really be a spectacle then!! Any comments or advise would be appreciated. Thanks.
Judy

:bounce: :Pinkbounc Excited by a little fearful.

Make sure you have cleared this with your Dr. Ask him what medicine to use in case your leg would happen to break out (chaff). Wear confortable socks that are high engough to cover leg where splint well be. Make sure to take off the air splint to air your leg. If sock becomes wet change it. I think you will have a wonderful time.

A few years ago, a friend had bunionectomy surgery and thought she would have no problem walking around at a comvention. She was pretty miserable by the end of the day. I'd suggest you look seriously about renting a scooter. You would be able to keep up with our son and have an enjoyable trip. if his power wheelchair is anywhere near as fast as my DD's, you would really have to push (or have him go at snail's pace) to keep up with him.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter