Traveling from NE ohio - places to stay?

doindisneyagain

Earning My Ears
My DH, and 2 DD (2 and 4) are driving to disney from northeast ohio. We leave Feb 1 2003. Does anyone know of any good hotels (with indoor pool) located around the Columbia SC area? That is where we've estimated we'll stop for the day. We'll be taking I-77, so something off that interstate would be ideal. Thanks for any help.

Anyone else taken that same drive? Any tips?

Brenda
:earsboy: :earsgirl: :earsgirl: :earsgirl:

We live in Central Ohio & take the same route to WDW that you're speaking of. We try to stay around Brunswick Georgia the first day. It's less than an hour from the Florida border. It makes for a very long first travel day, but then you only have about 4 hours or so to get to WDW on your next day, which is nice because you basically have the entire afternoon & evening to enjoy at WDW. Last June we stayed at a Quality Inn that wasn't bad just for an evening and they had a breakfast buffet. Just a thought that maybe you'd like to consider.

Sorry I don't have any info on the Columbia hotels. On our trip back to Ohio last June we stopped north of Columbia just south of the North Carolina border at a Holiday Inn, but it was late, and I don't remember a lot about where it was. It was just off the freeway and not too bad at all.

Like bweagle, we stayed near Brunswick on our Feb 02 trip. It was a long drive from Lorain, but it was nice to have such a short drive the next morning. We arrived before noon at ASSp and our room was ready! We did eat a sit-down dinner near Columbia to rest my eyes for some night-time driving. Be sure to make ressies. We stayed at Motel 6 (all we needed was a bed), when we walked in the desk agent said I hope you have a ressie (we did), for we are full, and it was only a Thursday night.

We've always stayed at Columbia on the way down from Akron area. It's about halfway and while we don't get to WDW as early, we don't have an extended driving day with the kids. There are tons of motel/hotels there and we've never made a reservation...usually stay at Knight's Inn or Day's Inn, turn in early and head out early. Happy & safe traveling!

We, too, are from Ohio and we traveled to Savannah for the night. It was a long haul, but it made the trip to WDW shorter.
It only took about 4 hours to get there...from Savannah!

I helped my DH drive through some of the traffic, but I can't stand bumper to bumper and that is what we hit in GA.

Be careful...have a safe trip!
Lisajl

We usually drive to Jacksonville for the night, but before we started doing that, we kept testing the limits. We stayed in a nice fairfield Inn in Columbia.
This time, we are staying in Charlotte because we are traveling with our 3-1/2 month old daughter and have to start testing limits again. I can't wait.

Thank everyone for your info!

I think we are just going to play it by ear too. Just keep driving until we decide the kids have had enough and we're ready to get some sleep. Thanks for the info about reservations. I didn't want to reserve a room because then we wouldn't have the flexibility to stop sooner or later.

For those of you that took the I-77 route - did you hit a lot of mountains? Hope that's not a stupid question. I've never driven down south, we are pulling a pop-up with our minivan and are hoping to take the easier route. Any one pulled a camper that route?

Brenda

Thank everyone for your info!

I think we are just going to play it by ear too. Just keep driving until we decide the kids have had enough and we're ready to get some sleep. Thanks for the info about reservations. I didn't want to reserve a room because then we wouldn't have the flexibility to stop sooner or later.

For those of you that took the I-77 route - did you hit a lot of mountains? Hope that's not a stupid question. I've never driven down south, we are pulling a pop-up with our minivan and are hoping to take the easier route. Any one pulled a camper that route?

Brenda

The I-77 route seemed pretty mountainous (sp?) from about Charlsetown, WV to a little bit past the NC border. The highway was built so that the grades do not seem that steep. To compare the grades are steeper driving to Wash DC from OH, on PA turnpike thru Breezewood, if you've driven that way before. DW and I will be watching the weather when we go in 2 weeks because if it is snowy we are thinking of taking the I-75 route instead. We've never driven that way but from the map it looks like there is less mountains and the ones that you come across are farther south so the chance of snow might be less.

Just back from Xmas in Canada. Took 1-77 route up and 1-75 route back.
1-77 is much more mountainous (they have these cool emergency cut-offs for big trucks in case of brake failure) It is a much prettier drive and doesn't seem as boring as 1-75.
I prefer the 1-77 route except that it is a much harder drive when weather is unpredictable. We encountered light fog in the mountains, with drizzle and DH found it fairly stressful due to trucks on the road. The curves through W.Va mountains weren't marked well (it was dark). Also, there are larger driving gaps between places to stop for bathrooms, gas, etc.
1-75 is much better in bad weather, places to stop at almost every intercharge.
I would check weather.com before leaving and if any chance of snow/bad weather I would take 1-75. Otherwise, enjoy the great scenery on 77!

Well DH and I went over the map this weekend and we've decided not to take the chance on I-77. I think we are going to take I-75. We figure it will take longer that way, but at least we won't be taking chances of hitting bad weather in the mountains. How much longer did it take going I-75? We figure it will add a couple hours to the drive.

Thanks

Just came back from WDW. We always drive I77. It's a fairly easy trip, just long. This is out fourth driving trip and the first time we hit bad weather on the WV turnpike.

I remember seeing hotels offering indoor pools along the Columbia stretch.

Either way was about the same for us to Atlanta. However, it would depend on how far you are from 1-75.
ATL traffic also may slow you down a bit depending on the time you come through. Be sure to use the HOV lanes when coming through ATL (express lane especially for two or more people) as the traffic moves along much faster in those lanes. FYI - it's about 7 hours drive to WDW from ATL.
Happy driving!

We're from SE Ohio, and we always take I-77 to WDW and I-75 to PC Beach. We've never had any problems with weather, but we don't travel in Feb, either. We used to book a room for the way down and stop when we got tired on the way home. But now, since we have two kids ( DD8, DS2), we drive straight through! I know that sounds weird, but since we usually leave after school/work, the kids fall asleep after we stop to eat and it's peaceful and quiet all night long! I should mention we have 3 drivers that take shifts.

We have taken 77 before and I admit I'm worried about taking it in early March due to the mountains and the weather. I've never considered taking I-75. If it's a lot longer, I don't think I'd want to do it unless I had to. We're traveling with a 2 and 4 year old and it's already too long of a drive. We were planning to stop in Charlotte, SC and stay overnight there with friends. We were going to leave home about 6am and hopefully get to Charlotte around 3pm or so. I refuse to drive through those mountains at night.

We are from the Toledo area and have driven 77 and 75. The time is basically the same. However, we generally go 75. I have found that the highway is kept clear, the hotels 'seem' to be closer to the highway and I think the driving is easier, straight roads, etc. Route 77 is beautiful but it required more concentration on what was happening and I saw several accidents on the last trip. What really got me was a pile up we heard about on the radio at a point we had just passed. We must have missed the accident by no more that 3 minutes. That was scarey.

We are leaving on Feb. 1 too.

Have fun

homeschooler - thanks for the info. Glad to know it doesn't take much more time to take I-75. I guess we'll see you on the road! Only 18 days left! I can't wait!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter