Travel Insurance Last Minute Due to Death or Possible Death

Hello all,

I was wondering if I could get some insight on whether or not to add travel insurance just in case my husband’s grandmother passes away. Our trip is the end of June, so we still have a little under a month, but she has been weak and in decline.

How would this work and how much time would we have to add it? If she were to pass soon, we may not be impacted with our trip and we wouldn’t need the insurance. Also, not sure how strict insurance companies are, but what if we get a call that they think she will pass and fly home in the middle of the trip, but she doesn’t end up passing? Would we still be covered then?

Thank you for any help

Honestly, every insurance company is different. I'd recommend reading the fine print of the policy (policies) you are considering. Most companies also have phone numbers or other contact info on their websites so you can reach out to them directly with questions about specific scenarios.

that is true, you would need to shop policies to find one that would cover such an occurrence, especially since you already know it could be an issue. If you are considering buying coverage from Disney (I assume they offer it) then read the contract and policy carefully first.

You'll need to be very careful when searching - not only to make sure that it covers what you need it to cover, BUT that you're actually eligible to purchase it. Many policies need to be purchased within a certain time (like 10-14 days) of making the initial payment. So something this close I'd expect that it would be VERY expensive.

I'd also check the fine print to make sure that this would be covered. I honestly don't know how they handle a case like this where there's a known illness. I know for them to cover anything storm-related (specifically hurricane) it has to be purchased before a storm gets a name. I'd just hate for you to buy some and then find out that because her health is already declining at the time of policy purchase it wouldn't be covered. Like I said, I don't know - but I'd make sure I read all the fine print.

All the policies we looked at in May 2021 did require purchasing within a couple weeks of booking the trip. We did end up cancelling our January 2022 trip after getting the insurance and found that refunding covered only losses for items we could not get refunds from elsewhere. You can buy trip insurance that covers cancellation for a couple different reasons but we bought insurance that allowed us to cancel without giving a reason but it was more expensive.

So our DVC condo rental was refunded with some fees subtracted through the insurance. Our airline allowed us a total refund (thanks to Covid). I managed to cancel all our ADRs without penalty and our tickets are non-expiring so we still have them available.

Was it worth the several hundred dollars? Yes, it gave us peace of mind and we lost almost nothing except for the insurance itself.

I would check into what trip expenses would be refunded without insurance i.e. Disney hotels, airplane tickets etc. and then decide on buying insurance if even applicable.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter