Trash & Towel....Is there a better way?

anniet

DIS Veteran
Pre-DVC we used to stay in cottages at the Tropical Palms Funsuites Resort. Like DVC, these cottages did NOT have housekeeping unless requested BUT you could turn your towels in for clean ones at the front office at any time.

On our first visit home to VWL, housekeeping came so late on T&T day we had already taken the trash out ourselves, so basically we just changed towels with them. I have also seen posts of people cancelling T&T day altogether.

So would it be better if you took out your own trash and DVC had someplace where you could exchange your towels instead of having housekeeping come in on certain days just for trash and towels? Would this also help reduce those members that take pool towels too?

Do you think this would make any difference in costs to DVC and ultimately maintenance fees?

The effect on costs would most likely be insignificant. There would probably be more costs to having a person available to exchange costs and it would be very inconvenient.

On days when housekeeping is scheduled to service our unit we call just prior to leaving the room. We tell them that we're leaving and plan to return by a specific time and ask that service be completed by then if possible.

We have yet to return to find our unit not serviced.

Originally posted by Lew
On days when housekeeping is scheduled to service our unit we call just prior to leaving the room. We tell them that we're leaving and plan to return by a specific time and ask that service be completed by then if possible.

We have yet to return to find our unit not serviced.

Maybe I should try that. I guess I was just a little bothered because they came at 3:45 and I had just showered to get ready for the 6:00 Cirque du Soleil performance. Plus there were 2 people who came in just for T&T which I thought was a little excessive, but maybe one was in training?!

:confused:

Just take towels off the Housekeeping carts.

Or call down to the housekeeping desk; I usually exchange every two days, never had a charge.

Or bring fresh ones from the pool.

Andrew

It's hard to imagine why, unless you were cleaning up spilled food, anyone would need to have their towels changed more than once every four days. All you're doing is wiping water off of your body or hands after just having washed with soap!

If we need clean towels, we just throw them in the washer when we leave in the morning and put them in the dryer when we come back. I don't usually need to do that with bathroom towels, but we often wash the kitchen towel and some wash cloths when we throw in a load of clothes. We usually was something every other day, so throwing a towel or two in with is not a problem.

I was interested in this thread because I thought it might pertain to my question - (it doesn't) but anyway...

I totally see the sense of T&T being on the 4th day, if your stay is 7 or more nights. If you're only staying 5 nights, it seems that T&T should be on the 3rd day.

Is it possible to request an adjustment like this, or does it goof up Mousekeeping's schedule too much and they'd charge us? We can wash our towels, no biggie; I just wondered if this was ever requested? Thanks!

Moonbooks:
The issue I think revolves around the ability for the towels to dry before reusing them. if you are staying in a one bedroom, then of course, throwing them in the dryer works fine.

If you are staying in a studio, and you have a family of 4, there is absolutely nowhere to hang the towels to dry. Well, I guess you could drape them over the furniture, or maybe hang them out in the balcony. Leaving them in the bathtub, on the clothes line does not dry them out.

Andrew

Originally posted by natt
I totally see the sense of T&T being on the 4th day, if your stay is 7 or more nights. If you're only staying 5 nights, it seems that T&T should be on the 3rd day.

Is it possible to request an adjustment like this, or does it goof up Mousekeeping's schedule too much and they'd charge us? We can wash our towels, no biggie; I just wondered if this was ever requested? Thanks!

We've requested a change in housekeeping days and have never had a problem. Just call housekeeping after you have your room number and they'll take care of it for you. I guess I should say we do this at OKW; I assume it would work at all the other resorts also.

I totally see the sense of T&T being on the 4th day, if your stay is 7 or more nights.

If your stay is 8 nights or more, you actually get a full cleaning on the 4th day and T&T on the 8th day with the cycle repeating until you check-out.

I think they set service at every 4th day as the standard. If you want to make an adjustment, Housekeeping will usually arrange to do that.

If the issue is getting your towels dry, they sell a great little portable clothes line at my local hardware store. It suction cups to the tile walls in the bathroom!
You couldn't hang fabric outside to dry in Orlando--because of the humidity it would never dry.

The studio we had at VWL had a line that pulls out of the wall and hooks to the other wall. It runs the length of the tub and we use it to dry towels and bathing suits.

But back to my original question:

Do you like T&T day the way it is? Or would it be more convenient for you to be able to go to one central location and exchange towels at your convenience as you feel necessary?

(I think this would be more often for some, less often for some and not at all for those who wash their own)

Originally posted by anniet

Do you like T&T day the way it is? Or would it be more convenient for you to be able to go to one central location and exchange towels at your convenience as you feel necessary?

(I think this would be more often for some, less often for some and not at all for those who wash their own)

This would defeat the purpose of the "pay as you play" plan. By allowing exchanges anytime there would be more towel washing expenses which would be spread among all members by increased dues. DVC has addressed this by allowing you to get 4 sets of new towels for $6.00. That way only members who want additional services pay for them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter