Transfers and Palo/Remy going up...

Our first Palo dinner in 2012 was $15, and at the time it was considered the tip. Then it went up to something ($25?) and wasn’t considered a tip so you had to add that in. Then it was $30. A local fancy place we go to on very special occasions raised brunch price from $55 to $72 last year so maybe that’s the trend.

That is a huge increase for Remy. I had been on the fence about going on my upcoming cruise since we got engaged there last year. But the price was just too much to justify and we went with Palo. I don't think I'll ever end up going there again now. For a little more we can eat at Victoria and Albert's which I enjoyed a lot more.

It is too much when you actually factor in the actual cost. By eating at Remy's you are throwing away a "free" MDR meal that is part of the cruise fare. not sure what this value would be if one could even split those costs. Most I have seen is cost per night for a cruise. I would think that you would be close to V&As.

I was thinking of doing Palo brunch on our next cruise.. this made me change my mind. Not worth it as I like the free options and honeslty If I wanted a great brunch I could find a better one on land.

It is too much when you actually factor in the actual cost. By eating at Remy's you are throwing away a "free" MDR meal that is part of the cruise fare. not sure what this value would be if one could even split those costs. Most I have seen is cost per night for a cruise. I would think that you would be close to V&As.

I was thinking of doing Palo brunch on our next cruise.. this made me change my mind. Not worth it as I like the free options and honeslty If I wanted a great brunch I could find a better one on land.
That's true since it isn't just the base price it's in addition to what has already been paid. I'm glad I got to try Remy once, but for that cost I can't see us going back. V&A is an amazing restaurant if you can try it once it is well worth the cost.

As we already do now , we will be using our free Palo credit only. It seems like the cruise industry is moving towards specialty restaurants at an additional cost rather than focus on the dining that is included with the cruise. I fear that one day all dining will be an extra cost which will probably end our cruising vacations.

We are seeing this a bit now on other lines. The MDRs on RCCL are comparable to DCL food quality wise, but not sure what we have gotten ourselves into with the new Celebrity ship. We were going to try a specialty restaurant there, but decided to pass because most prices fell in between the new Remy and Palo prices.

When we get back aboard DCL, we will use our free Palo for brunch, if still offered, but don't feel it is worth the extra 40 pp to us.

A bit about us though, is we only dine out once a quarter at home, and now sail inside rooms or may splurge on a forward facing oceanview if at a good deal. In the past we splurged on concierge and verandas, but found for us the ship time was more important than the in room time, so we book cheaper rooms and spend less onboard to maximize the number of cruises we take. Long winded answer to say we are basically cheap;)

I am hoping though that most lines keep the food in the mdrs at the level that they are now. If the quality goes down, to push people to the specialty restaurants that will probably be the end for us too.

We are seeing this a bit now on other lines. The MDRs on RCCL are comparable to DCL food quality wise, but not sure what we have gotten ourselves into with the new Celebrity ship. We were going to try a specialty restaurant there, but decided to pass because most prices fell in between the new Remy and Palo prices.

I am hoping though that most lines keep the food in the mdrs at the level that they are now. If the quality goes down, to push people to the specialty restaurants that will probably be the end for us too.

We've sailed with Celebrity three times, and they're the upscale sister to RCCL. Celebrity has a really nice(!) brunch once per cruise, which has a better variety than Palo brunch, all passengers are included, and there's no extra cost.

Please keep in mind room for luggage, If each person has a large suitcase, it's not gonna happen.

Yikes, how much do people pack? Our family of 5 packs two large suitcases and two duffel bags total for a one week vacation. One large suitcase per person could last us a month!

that is why palo's is going up. the free platinum meal is being subsidized by everyone else.

that is why palo's is going up. the free platinum meal is being subsidized by everyone else.
I think also with more and more platinum cruisers every year, the supply of Palo's tables is going down.

With supply decreased, they can increase prices and still sell out.

My Dh thinks the price went up because of demand. It will continue to go up until demand reduces, then it will stay at that’s price until demand goes up again. Pricing is all about what the market will bear.

Yikes, how much do people pack? Our family of 5 packs two large suitcases and two duffel bags total for a one week vacation. One large suitcase per person could last us a month!
Ooh you have yet to meet our family! Lol! We have 6 large and 4 carryons for our family of 4. But our trips are 2-3 weeks ( we do laundry). We shop at the outlets and stock up. We are international and most if us arrive with empties and leave with full. For our med cruise( no shopping planned) we get by with 2 large and carryons for a 10 day trip. Not really shopping planned.There are many threads asking what to do with luggage or where to store during a cruise

We were on a 15-day DCL Hawaiian cruise and shared a dinner table with a couple who had brought just one carry-on bag each. Not my idea of a good time, but they seemed to manage just fine.

We were on a 15-day DCL Hawaiian cruise and shared a dinner table with a couple who had brought just one carry-on bag each. Not my idea of a good time, but they seemed to manage just fine.

In college, I did the stereotypical backpacking through Europe with a train pass and youth hostels for 6 weeks and it really makes a difference in your packing style for the rest of your life. We even did our honeymoon with just a carry-on each.

Packing for my kid is a whole other ballgame, however.

Ooh you have yet to meet our family! Lol! We have 6 large and 4 carryons for our family of 4. But our trips are 2-3 weeks ( we do laundry). We shop at the outlets and stock up. We are international and most if us arrive with empties and leave with full. For our med cruise( no shopping planned) we get by with 2 large and carryons for a 10 day trip. Not really shopping planned.There are many threads asking what to do with luggage or where to store during a cruise

That makes sense! I hadn’t thought about international trips. International fares include suitcases too, whereas in the US most airlines charge for each checked bag, which is part of why we try to pack light as well.

Yes, but so is the bus price. The bus is $39 each way, so $234 one way for a family of 6.

Sorry..misread that. :) Not sure HOW I misread it but I did. I would definitely go for the Minnie Van...especially if there are car seats needed. And they are really cool too!

I wish DCL would allow us to take the value of the complimentary Platinum Palo meal and apply it to a meal at Remy.

Last edited:
I agree! I wish that also, although the cost would still be stupid! It’s only food after all.

I wish DCL would allow us to take the value of the complimentary Platinum Palo meal and apply it to a meal at Remy.

This would be a great idea! Considering Remy often had space and Palo sells out, it would really free them up to make more money on Palo (and make it easier for first time cruisers to get a spot at Palo)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!