Transferring Points ?

PoohBuddy

Mouseketeer
How does transferring points between members work? And are there any restrictions or costs associated with this? Thanks.

There are no costs associated with transferring points. Restrictions would be:

1. You can only transfer in or out of an account once per use year. If you receive a transfer, you can not transfer points until your next use year
2. You can not borrow transferred points, but you can bank transferred points
3. You can not take points from one use year, if you are in the next use year. Example, you have a February use year, so you are in your 2017 use year. You can not have someone with a December use year transfer points to you because they are still in their 2016 use year

Hope that helps!

And, technically, transferring for funds is not something that is supposed to happen, so when you call to do it, it might help not to mention that. I have transferred a few times and it is pretty easy. All I did was get the member number and name of the person who was getting the points, called and did it with the CM over the phone. Once done, I contacted the other member and then they called to verify the points were there.

If you get points into your account and they are the same UY and home resort to what you own, you will actually see them in your account, which means you can use them online to book. If they are not, then they can only be used for reservations that are made through MS by phone.

Another thing to add, is that when you make a booking you can't combine the points. Ie. if one night costs 23points you can't use 10 of your regular points and 13 of the transferred points. You can only do "whole" nights, this might leave you with leftover points - unless you buy the OTU points.

Another thing to add, is that when you make a booking you can't combine the points. Ie. if one night costs 23points you can't use 10 of your regular points and 13 of the transferred points. You can only do "whole" nights, this might leave you with leftover points - unless you buy the OTU points.

You can if it is the same resort and use year. I was just able to do this. Not sure if that’s the case for different use years or different resorts.

You can if it is the same resort and use year. I was just able to do this. Not sure if that’s the case for different use years or different resorts.

True with same resort and same UY you don’t have any of those restrictions. With the same UY and resort the points are also bookable online and not only by phone.

I was able to back in '08, use transferred BWV points, my OKW points, to book one night at BCV at 7 months.

I was able to back in '08, use transferred BWV points, my OKW points, to book one night at BCV at 7 months.

Can’t speak of the rules in ‘08 but now you aren’t able to do so.

Maybe you already had a BWV contract and received a transfer with the same UY. If so then you can use the points as you normally would.

I think perhaps the confusion is 7 vs.11 month booking. Transferred points retain their home resort and use year, so combining “non like” points would be limited to a 7 month booking. But I see nothing in the rules that would preclude combining say SSR June 2017 points with BWV Aug 2017 points for a Feb 2018 booking made today.

I think perhaps the confusion is 7 vs.11 month booking. Transferred points retain their home resort and use year, so combining “non like” points would be limited to a 7 month booking. But I see nothing in the rules that would preclude combining say SSR June 2017 points with BWV Aug 2017 points for a Feb 2018 booking made today.

If a reservation requires ie. 100 points for ie 5nights then you can’t take 90 points from your BWV aug UY and 10 points from your SSR June UY. Unless the 90 points equals ie. 4 nights and the 10 points would equal the 1 night. If each night required ie. 20 points then you would be out of luck on the last night because you only had 10 points from the BwV aug contract and 10 points on your SSR June contract.

A single night can’t be booked using points from different UY’s

If a reservation requires ie. 100 points for ie 5nights then you can’t take 90 points from your BWV aug UY and 10 points from your SSR June UY. Unless the 90 points equals ie. 4 nights and the 10 points would equal the 1 night. If each night required ie. 20 points then you would be out of luck on the last night because you only had 10 points from the BwV aug contract and 10 points on your SSR June contract.

A single night can’t be booked using points from different UY’s
Yes you can. You can’t do it online, but you can if you call. The folks on the phone can combine transferred points with your own to make a reservation. That’s the entire reason that owners with multiple use years transfer points between their memberships.

Yes you can. You can’t do it online, but you can if you call. The folks on the phone can combine transferred points with your own to make a reservation. That’s the entire reason that owners with multiple use years transfer points between their memberships.

Oh, I stand corrected then. I have always been under the impression that it wasn’t an option to combine the points like that.

Thanks for correcting me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter