transatlantic cruise advise

You can find very reasonable one-way transatlantic flights if you use a discount airline like Iceland air, Norwegian air, Condor air, Westjet. We have never paid more than $400 for a one-way flight. Make sure you are checking flight with Hopper or google flights they will give you more options, and check smaller airports like Gatwick vs Heathrow.

I had a quick look and Philadelphia to London in September you can get a one-way flight with Iceland Air for $316/person :)

Just be sure to check for all the added fees like seat selection, baggage, and in some cases carry-on. Those can really add up.

Also their size restrictions on baggage as that can differ greatly from US carriers. My friend who cruised to Greece with me did some time before and after in Europe using some discounted carriers and ended up with some extra fees for “oversized” bags which are fine on pretty much any US carrier.

Just be sure to check for all the added fees like seat selection, baggage, and in some cases carry-on. Those can really add up.

Also their size restrictions on baggage as that can differ greatly from US carriers. My friend who cruised to Greece with me did some time before and after in Europe using some discounted carriers and ended up with some extra fees for “oversized” bags which are fine on pretty much any US carrier.
It has not been my experience that they charge any more than the big North American carriers.

Norwegian Air has a flight JFK to Gatwick in September for their low fare+ it includes a 10kg carry on a 20kg checked bag and seat selection for $270. Iceland Air's economy light includes a carry on up to 22lbs, a 50lb checked bag, and an up to 7 night stopover for $378. You do need to check with each airline and know what is an allowable size.

It has not been my experience that they charge any more than the big North American carriers.

Norwegian Air has a flight JFK to Gatwick in September for their low fare+ it includes a 10kg carry on a 20kg checked bag and seat selection for $270. Iceland Air's economy light includes a carry on up to 22lbs, a 50lb checked bag, and an up to 7 night stopover for $378. You do need to check with each airline and know what is an allowable size.

Which is what I was saying. Check if there are extra fees because sometimes those do exist and when added on come closer to legacy carriers.

Most of them also include stops, which I prefer to avoid if at all possible - especially when traveling internationally. I have zero interest in Iceland, so their whole "stay and continue for no extra flight cost" has zero appeal to me.

Nearly all of the major airlines now charge for things like baggage, so on any airline it's important to figure out what the extra fees will be. But from the searching I've been doing for transatlantic one way flights, prices on Norwegian and Icelandair are usually ridiculously lower than the main carriers. BCN to LAX for $330, non-stop, for example. Saw BCN to SFO for $190! Crazy. Even if I pay for a bag and a meal, I'm ahead.

I would actually consider a stop in Iceland, as it looks like an amazingly beautiful place.

I haven't done the Eastbound, but I have done 2 Westbound TAs. My kids didn't have to miss school because they have 3 weeks off in September. There were definitely less kids, but on our cruises it was more younger kids because they either were too young for school, or missing school wasn't such a big deal. The adult pool areas are more crowded on the longer cruises than the kids/family pools, in my experience. These are my favorite cruises EVER!! Different entertainment, soooo relaxing, just fantastic. We didn't even get off in some of the ports, even with 7 or 8 sea days. And I thought I would read books, but there was so much going on I had to force myself to read one.

Also, if your partner is going to be pregnant, make sure she is within the time they will allow her to cruise - too close the pregnancy, they won't let her go.

Know that they do change the schedule around. You won't be able to know if there will be a Miami to Barcelona cruise in 2020 until they release the schedule for the summer of 2020. Since the Magic is in Miami May 11th 2020, it is likely it will depart from Miami, but it might not go to Barcelona, don't start planning too much until the itinerary is released.

Yeah that’s true. Our one year wedding anniversary is going to be 13 may 2020 so it would be good if it was

I've done two WBTA cruises and so far they where my absolute favorite cruises. From talking with friends who have done the EBTA cruise one complaint they made was the constant time changes but that's about it. As far as activities well it's all up to you how much you want to do or not do during sea days (sea days are my actual favorite days). They always have something planned/scheduled during sea days from special character meets to tours. Having done numerous Disney cruises I usually find myself reading, watching a movie in the theatre or enjoying a rainforest pass during my sea days. You will see numerous Disney shows as well as other wonderful entertainment and possibly some special guests. If I could suggest anything I would say pack half as much and bring twice as much money to spend as planned.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter