• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tracking Cruising Restart: News and Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/...-and-florida-lawsuit-get-cruise-ships-sailing

I hope I'm allowed to put this here! I never know what is banned. Looks like now we wait on the judge. Article says no movement in mediation. If the injunction is granted then can't cruise lines go back to whatever normal they would like pretty much as soon as they're ready? I know this is the unlikely outcome.
Not quite that simple. It would most likely get appealed and the injunction would be reinstated almost immediately.

Even if that did not happen, Alaska would be banned from cruising because then they would need to port at a foreign destination and Canada is closed to cruise ships. No way to get to Alaska and back without stopping in Canada.

This is another example of political grandstanding simply harming the common good and not being common sense. This is not at all meant to be a R vs D thing, but FL is actively working against private enterprise (which you would assume DeSantis would be for) and hurting the travel industry that FL relies on. While cruising may not be of significant benefit to FL comparatively to in state theme parks and such, who goes to FL on those 3 or 4 day cruises and doesn't spend time elsewhere in the state? I don't get the end game.

I have to agree with you. I original was somewhat supportive of the lawsuit, because it did seem like the CDC was being overly burdensome and very slow in issuing the guidance. But we are in a very different place now. It seems the cruise lines are capable of complying with the guidance and the CDC has shown a willingness to pull it back as things improve. The lawsuit may have helped in that regard. But, at this stage, I don't see the benefit. I also don't approve of Florida interfering with a private business's decision to requiring vaccinations. Particularly in this context, where they could make a huge difference in preventing ship-wide breakouts. Florida is no longer helping the situation and should have reached some sort of agreement with the CDC to save face, but let the lawsuit end (or even stay the lawsuit to see how things progress this summer).

Carnival's Christine Duffy was interviewed by Good Morning America this morning after the Mardi Gras reached its home point, and she made it clear that they intend to return to cruising with fully vaccinated passengers (which is a bit of a departure from her earlier statements). Having said that, they say they're working with the CDC on a plan that would allow children to cruise:

https://www.goodmorningamerica.com/...ent-talks-restarting-cruise-industry-78081592

Carnival's Christine Duffy was interviewed by Good Morning America this morning after the Mardi Gras reached its home point, and she made it clear that they intend to return to cruising with fully vaccinated passengers (which is a bit of a departure from her earlier statements). Having said that, they say they're working with the CDC on a plan that would allow children to cruise:

https://www.goodmorningamerica.com/...ent-talks-restarting-cruise-industry-78081592

It seems like "blame the CDC" and as soon as the CDC removes the restrictions we are removing the vaccination requirement. Thats what I gathered from her talking points.

It seems like "blame the CDC" and as soon as the CDC removes the restrictions we are removing the vaccination requirement. Thats what I gathered from her talking points.
Yeah, that's kind of how I heard it too. Theoretically they have a choice, but if they don't go the 95% vaccinated route then they have to give everyone on-board a sub-par experience--capacity restrictions on venues, masks everywhere, mandatory social distancing, and likely capacity restrictions on the boat itself--which, at this point, is probably a lot more expensive and risky than temporarily excluding those who are unvaccinated and giving everyone else a "normal" cruise, then blaming it on the CDC.

Well, but isn't it the CDC who is requiring all of these things? I would expect many cruise lines will remove a lot of requirements as soon as they are allowed. Disney will be last of course. I definitely don't expect the vaccine requirement to last forever.

One thing that would be really helpful was if the CDC lowered that percentage if it was 100% vaccinated for all who were eligible. That would make it easier to allow kids until the vaccine goes below 12 while trying to manage to that 95 number. That could be a logistics nightmare if there is also a flexible cancellation policy.

I don't see how any of these restrictions would work in reality on a fully booked cruise ship. They don't intend to sail half full, do they? Take DCL's shows; the venues are packed with no empty seats regularly, and that's doing two shows already. Any distancing and you have to exclude half the passengers. Masking? You are constantly snacking or sipping on a drink, whether you're at the shows, in the theater, at the restaurants, on deck, etc. etc. - would all those venues be closed for beverage service, popcorn...?? The kids clubs.... don't get me started when they put all the kids on one side of the club/lab to have the other side empty... it was always PACKED. There were meals in the kids club. This is all indoors. It all adds up to more than a sub par experience. It's impractical, imo, and not worth it... and on top of that, like you mentioned, the risk is still high - not safe enough for those who have no immunity. And this in turn jeopardizes the entire cruise and itinerary for the vaccinated and unvaccinated alike.

Yeah, that's kind of how I heard it too. Theoretically they have a choice, but if they don't go the 95% vaccinated route then they have to give everyone on-board a sub-par experience--capacity restrictions on venues, masks everywhere, mandatory social distancing, and likely capacity restrictions on the boat itself--which, at this point, is probably a lot more expensive and risky than temporarily excluding those who are unvaccinated and giving everyone else a "normal" cruise, then blaming it on the CDC.

I don't see how any of these restrictions would work in reality on a fully booked cruise ship. ...
We have a bit of a preview of what it could look like based on the UK Staycation sailings that start July 15th on the Magic:

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/why-cruise-disney/experience-updates/on-the-ship/
Reserved seating for only one show on a 3-night sailing, one 2.5 hour kids club session per kid per day, staggered dining times, virtual queues, etc. And that's even with reduced capacity sailings. (And vaccinated adults for that matter.) There's clearly an audience for that, but if I had a choice between those restrictions and a 95% vaccinated Celebrity or RCCL sailing with almost no restrictions, it would be an easy choice.

There's clearly an audience for that, but if I had a choice between those restrictions and a 95% vaccinated Celebrity or RCCL sailing with almost no restrictions, it would be an easy choice.
I agree completely. No way am I paying DCL prices for that kind of experience, particularly since our September cruise is in concierge. We have been wanting to try Celebrity (will sail Eclipse next summer to Alaska). We might end up on a Celebrity ship sooner than expected. We have B2B on the Fantasy over Christmas, so hopefully things will be more normal by then.

One thing that would be really helpful was if the CDC lowered that percentage if it was 100% vaccinated for all who were eligible. That would make it easier to allow kids until the vaccine goes below 12 while trying to manage to that 95 number. That could be a logistics nightmare if there is also a flexible cancellation policy.
I agree with this 100%, and it’s why I think so many lines are still in the test cruise route. That way they don’t need to worry about dropping below that 95% threshold with an approved conditional certificate. Perhaps the behind the scenes talks she’s alluding to would be to allow for 100% 12+ (or close to it), while testing for 2-11? Kind of like what RCI is doing from the Bahamas for a few months.

Whatever happens, I’m glad to see movement in a positive direction towards ships sailing with passengers again.

Oh wow, thanks for the link. Some helpful measures there, like the virtual queues... but otherwise.... I completely agree with you.

I'm choosing the fully vaccinated cruise.

We have a bit of a preview of what it could look like based on the UK Staycation sailings that start July 15th on the Magic:

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/why-cruise-disney/experience-updates/on-the-ship/
Reserved seating for only one show on a 3-night sailing, one 2.5 hour kids club session per kid per day, staggered dining times, virtual queues, etc. And that's even with reduced capacity sailings. (And vaccinated adults for that matter.) There's clearly an audience for that, but if I had a choice between those restrictions and a 95% vaccinated Celebrity or RCCL sailing with almost no restrictions, it would be an easy choice.

I agree with others here. If I have to choose between a non-vax cruise with a ton of needed restrictions vs. a vaxxed sailing and little to no restrictions? I can tell you with 100% certainty where my money is going. I have my vaccine card ready to go.

Sorry, it’s a no brainer for me.

HAHA! No Thanks!

Reserved seating for only one show on a 3-night sailing, one 2.5 hour kids club session per kid per day, staggered dining times, virtual queues, etc. And that's even with reduced capacity sailings. (And vaccinated adults for that matter.)

Bttr.gif

I would love to see DCL sail the Fantasy with fully vaccinated passengers (to start) and leave the shorter Dream sailings for a mix of vaccinated and unvaccinated. Carnival taking this position shows that is can be done on a more family-focused cruiseline.

Richard Fain released a few more details about Royal Caribbean's vaccination plan today in a video to travel agents. The most interesting quote from the video is as follows:

"Those who are unvaccinated will need to undergo additional testing and other restrictions. That necessarily adds to their costs adds limitation to their cruise for those people who choose to be unvaccinated. There would be no additional cost for children who are not eligible for the vaccine. Our plan, therefore, continues to be that virtually everyone who is eligible for the vaccine will have one. On some of our ships with fewer children, including Celebrity, and Silverseas, and some Royal Caribbean ships, we will ensure that the percent vaccinated will exceed 95%. On other ships we expect that almost everyone over 12 will be vaccinated.”

So it sounds like those who are eligible for the vaccine but decline to provide proof of vaccination will incur additional costs for testing, and additional restrictions that are significant enough that he doesn't expect many people to go that route. It's an interesting end-run around the Florida law (that kind of allows everyone to declare victory), but I'm still worried about the social distancing and mask requirements that are imposed on sailings that don't have >95% of guests who are vaccinated.

Last edited:
Whoa... I am soooooo glad I did not switch to Royal. Not that I see Disney being any less strict than Royal. I should probably start looking for something other than a cruise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter