TR | Happy Campers (December 2017)

Alabama is a beautiful state. Hubby enjoys the smooth highways. Have to appreciate the pride the people have for their state too.

Well I slept great! Everyone did! Got up, stretched, felt refreshed, brushed my teeth, started the coffee. Thought to myself how wonderful that everyone was still soundly sleeping. Yes! Some alone time with my thoughts or should I say social media. Sat down on the sofa with my phone and waited for the coffee to drip. First thing I see...3:38 am WHAT?!?! Darn it! Back to bed I go. A little bit later, I'm up again...5:48 am. Good enough for me! Coffee back on and everyone is still sleeping soundly. I needed to make a secret stop to the Walmart without the kids anyway, so now is my chance. I need a Christmas bag and note paper for our elf.

TIME OUT

Wait, what? Pause the report. Yes, this report includes a shady little creepy Elf on the Shelf. If you have an issue with them, now is the time to click that little X box in the left corner of the screen. I understand and it's ok, but you see, I have kids and they love their elf. I must continue with the elf!!! Save yourself!

Ok ok, so I got the "not from home" Christmas bag and paper, as the kids would surely make the connection. Kids have been asking about of our elf since October. Worried that he wouldn't know where to find us. I plan on having our elf meet us at the Fort. I think they will be pleased ;)

When I returned everyone was still sleeping. I started breakfast and by the time it was done, everyone was up and ready to start the day. Eat up, kids! Let's get to Florida today!

We made a quick stop at Camping World just south of Birmingham. Needed some outdoor comfy chairs and a water pressure regulator thingy a bob. Got it!

Back on the road and listening to some Alabama of course. Dothan bound.

Last edited:
Make sure you gas up in Alabama, Melissa. I like that Flying J in Dothan on the ring highway at the intersection before you turn due south to run down to Florida (it's all Hwy 231 of course). It will be on the left as you make that turn. They have RV gas lanes. Gas is several cents cheaper in Alabama than in Florida.

Were you at the Wal-Mart in Hoover on Hwy 150 or the one within view of the interstate down in Pelham? I used to live about 5 miles from the Hoover one (it's where I did my regular grocery shopping) until I moved this past spring. It's not a bad run at all from there to WDW. That WM frequently gets overnight RV'ers.

Following along. Thanks for the updates!

Bama Ed

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip, Bama. Hubby says thank you! Yes, we stopped in Dothan and fueled up. The diesel was 30 cents higher once we entered Florida. We stayed at the Walmart by Pelham. Possibly, maybe, I really don't know. You did crossed my mind and was thinking you were in the Hoover area. I remember this cause we stayed in Hoover last year and you mentioned that you were just down the road ;)

Once we got to Dothan, the kids were getting restless. I told hubby we needed to find a park and get out and stretch our legs and wouldn't you know it, as soon as I said that there was a park sign! How perfect! We followed the park sign and found a nice honey hole. Hubby took the kids to play and I fixed up a lunch and freshened up the camper.

We made it down to Lake City last night. Wanted to get right outside Disney, but was feeling heavy eyed and if I was, hubby had to be shot. We stopped at a you know it....Walmart! I prepared a quick dinner and snuggled the kids down for bed. Hubby installed the new smoke & carbon monoxide detector and also mounted the new flat screen down.

4:30 am...time to get on the road and hope for an early check in. Hubby transferred the sleeping kids to the truck after peeing them (thanks Kris) and were now on the road.

Time to magic band up!

IMG_1800.JPG

Last edited:
You should be there by now! Have fun setting up the camper instead of tents and have a GREAT time.

j

What a day, what a day.

We checked in about 9:00. We always go in the lobby to check in. I just like it! It's exiting to me! Walking up those porch stairs, stepping on that Howdy door map and then crossing through that threshold. You know your just starting out on your vacation and this is the first part and you have all the time in the world! So lets do this nice and slow and right and walk in. Soak it all up! Soak everything up! The curtains, the lighting, the checker board, the penny press. I love it all it and I want it to last! Collect the park maps, hoard them! Get duplicates cause you know those gremlins of yours are going to get their grubby hands on them at some point and then you won't have that nice clean crease to your map. It will be tainted by gremlin, so get two!

Welcome Home!

IMG_2741.jpg

We wanted 1900 and asked if any where available. He said 1936 was going to be available sometime today, but he couldn't tell me I could have it. He did show me where it was at on the map, but again reminded me that 1936 was ours, but not. So we unhitched the camper in the lot and unloaded the cart. Lets loop! So we looped and waited for our text and 10 mins later, we get a text saying our site was ready. It IS PERFECT. We all have our certain requirements as to what makes a perfect spot perfect. Some like to be next to the boats to hear the whistle, others like to be close to the pool, the list goes on. Me? I want some peace and quite. The 1900 is exactly that. Low key, away from the main stream, off the main path, in the back, next to the woods. The site itself is not very wide, but it has ample space between my neighbors and lots of trees. The back opens up to the woods and I love it! I'll get pics up tomorrow.

We took our sweet time setting up the outside today and hubby hung the outside lights. Charlotte is not feeling great, so my afternoon was a slow go getting things done in the camper. I finally had to kick hubby and the kids out, so I could finish up inside. Daniel took the kids over to meet Mike
(@Corgidad) and I worked inside. Kris (@garneska) left the fire pit with him to pass to us. We will pass back to Mike and back to Kris. How fun is that?! So while the hubby and kids were out some really cool things happened.

(1) An armadillo came right up to our site. Like so close I could touch it, any closer it would have gotten on to my nice new rug and well then I would have had to burn it. While the little critter is interesting, I don't want it touching my rug.

(2) A Christmas gang in golf carts came by the site blasting Christmas music and carts decorated to the nine. I herd the music and then it kept getting louder (like the icecream truck when you were a kid). Then it was loud and then louder and I ran outside to see just what the heck. And then they came! Oh it was so exhilarating! I was so exited my inner self was jumping up and down with joy as they went by. My adult self has four kids and knows what happens when one jumps, so I don't jump!

Hubby and the kids came back after visiting with Mike and I told them all about it. Kids were not happy with me. Tomorrow we will be here in the evening and won't miss the Christmas gang!

Starving was an understatement this evening. I just cleaned up this here camper and ain't no one getting it messy tonight. We're going out for dinner! We went up to the food truck and OH MAN was it good. Like I inhaled it good! The very best cheeseburger I have ever had and I'm married to a cattle farmer, so I know a few things about good meat. THIS WAS YUMMMMmMMMMMMMmmmmY.Would tomorrow morning be to soon to go back? Hmmm...

Here's a pic. It was darn good. I'm going to bed. Peace!

IMG_1829.jpg

Last edited:

Today is a fort day! Charlotte is still a little under the weather, so I'm staying around the site with her while hubby takes the kids to the pool. I just put her down for a nap, so after I do this update, I'm going to start baking some treats for when they return.

We met our neighbor this morning. They checked in yesterday too. They have two kids in similar age to ours and their baby is also 16 months. They have a Grace just like us and their son is also named after the father. Oh yeah, they homeschool too. They also were heading up to the pool this afternoon and likely swimming with my kids right now. No hotel will give you this kind of interaction with your neighbor. I just love it here!

As promised, pictures of our home for the next 14 more sleeps!

It's perfect! I wish it was a little wider, but it fits every other aspect on our perfect site wish list. What it lacks in width, sure does get made up for in privacy. No complaints here. None.

IMG_1948.jpg

IMG_1949.jpg

IMG_1944.jpg

IMG_1952.jpg

I didn't get any blow-ups. Thought about it, but didn't. I did get one strand of Mickey lights that runs along the awning and then white lights all around our site.

I hope the Christmas golf cart gang drive by again tonight. I wanna be a part of that gang some day.

The chairs and firpit are next to the door for a reason. Tonight after a cook out, after looping, and after the kids go to bed, we plan to watch the fire and enjoy an adult beverage. This way if Charlotte wakes, I will hear her right away.

Tomorrow, we go to Magic Kingdom with lunch at the Beast Castle. Next, we go over to Animal Kingdom. Fast Passes for FOP, EE, and Safari.

Last edited:
What fun! This makes me want to change out our pup for a camper too, I have no problem camping at Walmart or Cracker Barrel on a trip! I told my husband about you guys, (we homeschool too) I am awfully amazed at your 14 day Disney trip!!!

Funny how camping in the Walmart parking lot came in so handy. I was able to go get more supplies for the trip while everyone was still sleeping one morning. My Charlotte developed a both stuffy and runny nose right at the start of the trip. She was having a rough time going down and taking her milk due to that. Luckily, we were right there (again) and hubby was able to just walk over and get some meds and and a nose sucker.

What fun! This makes me want to change out our pup for a camper too, I have no problem camping at Walmart or Cracker Barrel on a trip! I told my husband about you guys, (we homeschool too) I am awfully amazed at your 14 day Disney trip!!!

Everyone is still sleeping from our big park day yesterday, so I'm sitting outside in my over priced, but very comfy chairs, sipping my coffee and listening to all sounds Fort related.

I got up at 5 am yesterday and showered IN MY CAMPER and cooked a big breakfast IN MY CAMPER. Boy or boy, it's like night and day difference. I'm really loving this here camper!!!

So like always, we are rope drop people. The sun was just coming up over Bay Lake and all was still. Black birds pearched on every post and squaked at each other. We planned to catch the resort boat and then walk, but just then at 7:15 am out came the big boat. What? What is this? The big boat never comes for us in January that early. We jumped on the big boat and was thankful for saving a mile on our feet.

IMG_2742.jpg

We hit rope drop on a Tuesday, which was to be low crowds and also a party day. I didn't think it would be as busy as it was. Here we are elbow to elbow to start the rat race. I gotta mention folks, hubby is now seriously skilled in menovering the old double BOB stroller through large crowds. Relax, I'm a professional, he says. Me? He kind of scares me with it and I think he is a stroller bully. Did my husband turn into one of those people? I think he did. I had to yell at him a few times. If he is a stroller bully next time in the parks, I'm taking his stroller pushing privileges away.

We did alright with the lines. I made our FP for AK so we were free riding here. Hubby and kids did Mine Train and grabbed a rider switch. It's like a paper fast pass good for anytime at any hour. Love these! Then we did Peter Pan for Charlotte cause we knew she would love it and she did! Then over to the mountains and did both there. Again, collecting anytime rider switch fast passes for those. After that, we inhaled Mickey pretzels and churros. What do you want to do now wife? I wanna do Pirates. Unanimous vote! Let's roll. Again, road rage hubby. What the heck is with him this trip and that stroller? Lord. We did Pirates and then back to over and did Little Mermaid and then it was time for lunch. We did some damage at Beast Castle. Everyone had a big meal and we ordered 6 "grey stuff" cupcakes for 4 cupcake eating people. Do the math!

IMG_2740.jpg

We were in there for like an hour and when we all finally rolled ourselves out of there the sun was in full blade and it was like 10 degrees warmer. Oh it burns, it burns. Think vampire like. AND WHERE DID ALL THESE PEOPLE COME FROM? My goodness! Did every other park close down or something? Too many, I can't do it. I can't! Boat! Go to the boat. Do not stop for anything other than that boat. Bee line it. Go! Mission boat! Just let hubby push the stroller and pretend your not with them.

Ahhhhh! The boat back! Thank you, Jesus! Grace said her favorite ride is the boat ride back and forth to MK. Bless that child! She really didn't get switched at birth after all. Joke! She's now my favorite. Joke! So we rolled ourselves from the boat to the golf cart and back to the camper to regroup for a few. Hubby cranked on the the AC and Charlotte and I had a little nap. When I got up, hubby was looking over the AK map and Grace and Daniel were being gremlin like, but less. I asked who here thought this camper (besides the house and vehicles) was the single best purchase we ever made. Unanimous! Oh, the nap in a temperature controlled environment was heavenly.

Let's go to AK people. We have fast passes for FOP and EE and night Safari. Wow! FOP, words can not describe that attraction. I had goose bumps all over my body that first 20 seconds. It takes your breath away! Seriously! It's nothing like I have ever experienced before. I actually needed a couple minutes after the attraction to process it all in. Hubby did it first with the kids and then I got to do it with the kids. The person handed out the paper rider switched must not have been paying attention, cause he gave me three. So now we have two extra anytime any day for FOP. Nice! The night time safari is ok, day is better. You can't really see the animals. Maybe a silloute or two here and there. You can see the alligators and loins. Some lights are up, but very few. If I was an elephant, I would be taking those darn light out with my trunk. I don't think the animals care for them. Not cool Disney. Not cool.

We were back before 9 and went down to the food truck. On the way back to our site, we met our new neighbor. He is a fun lovin, whiskey drinker who swears a lot. He mentioned he has about 20 tubs of blow ups that he is going to display today. Any guess what I'm going to be doing? Well I'm going to be sitting right here at my site watching fun lovin, whiskey drinker who swears a lot, put up his Christmas display. I can't think of a better thing to do, can you? Free entertainment folks.

All that said, parks were the parks. Maybe I'm getting sour on them. I didn't make any fast passes this trip with exception to a couple for FOP cause really we just try to go with the flow and not live by a one hour window. I don't wanna go back to the parks for the rest of this week. We got Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday left here on week one and I wanna do all things "not parks". So we are going to hang around the Fort today. Likely, tomorrow too. For the rest of week one, we plan to Fort it up! We need to do some sit down Trails End. We need to do the camp fire, watch the fireworks, catch a movie or two, light parade. Kids want to do some pool side activities. We still haven't seen all the Christmas around here. In addition, we need to see all the resorts! Oh, Disney Springs too! I would like to do Epcot late one afternoon. I never feel trapped at Epcot and that will be a good time. Maybe Friday evening or Saturday for Epcot. That will give three park days to use in week two.

Well I have to go now, I have nothing scheduled that I need to get going on. I sure hope I have a few readers out there.

Last edited:
Sorry Melissa Nobody here but us Chickens. Too bad Hubby redeemed himself on stroller duty I was all set to suggest that task be reassigned to Miss Charlotte it's high time she started pulling her weight on this trip not just dropping off for nap whenever it suites her. Good Luck with Fun loving, Whiskey Drinking Lots of Swearing Neighbor Just remind the kids that what they hear from others is not always what they need to repeat

Everyone is still sleeping from our big park day yesterday, so I'm sitting outside in my over priced, but very comfy chairs, sipping my coffee and listening to all sounds Fort related.

I got up at 5 am yesterday and showered IN MY CAMPER and cooked a big breakfast IN MY CAMPER. Boy or boy, it's like night and day difference. I'm really loving this here camper!!!

So like always, we are rope drop people. The sun was just coming up over Bay Lake and all was still. Black birds pearched on every post and squaked at each other. We planned to catch the resort boat and then walk, but just then at 7:15 am out came the big boat. What? What is this? The big boat never comes for us in January that early. We jumped on the big boat and was thankful for saving a mile on our feet. We hit rope drop on a Tuesday, which was to be low crowds and also a party day. I didn't think it would be as busy as it was. Here we are elbow to elbow to start the rat race. I gotta mention folks, hubby is now seriously skilled in menovering the old double BOB stroller through large crowds. Relax, I'm a professional, he says. Me? He kind of scares me with it and I think he is a stroller bully. Did my husband turn into one of those people? I think he did. I had to yell at him a few times. If he is a stroller bully next time in the parks, I'm taking his stroller pushing privileges away.

We did alright with the lines. I made our FP for AK so we were free riding here. Hubby and kids did Mine Train and grabbed a rider switch. It's like a paper fast pass good for anytime at any hour. Love these! Then we did Peter Pan for Charlotte cause we knew she would love it and she did! Then over to the mountains and did both there. Again, collecting anytime rider switch fast passes for those. After that, we inhaled Mickey pretzels and churros. What do you want to do now wife? I wanna do Pirates. Unanimous vote! Let's roll. Again, road rage hubby. What the heck is with him this trip and that stroller? Lord. We did Pirates and then back to over and did Little Mermaid and then it was time for lunch. We did some damage at Beast Castle. Everyone had a big meal and we ordered 6 "grey stuff" cupcakes for 4 cupcake eating people. Do the math! We were in there for like an hour and when we all finally rolled ourselves out of there the sun was in full blade and it was like 10 degrees warmer. Oh it burns, it burns. Think vampire like. AND WHERE DID ALL THESE PEOPLE COME FROM? My goodness! Did every other park close down or something? Too many, I can't do it. I can't! Boat! Go to the boat. Do not stop for anything other than that boat. Bee line it. Go! Mission boat! Just let hubby push the stroller and pretend your not with them.

Ahhhhh! The boat back! Thank you, Jesus! Grace said her favorite ride is the boat ride back and forth to MK. Bless that child! She really didn't get switched at birth after all. Joke! She's now my favorite. Joke! So we rolled ourselves from the boat to the golf cart and back to the camper to regroup for a few. Hubby cranked on the the AC and Charlotte and I had a little nap. When I got up, hubby was looking over the AK map and Grace and Daniel were being gremlin like, but less. I asked who here thought this camper (besides the house and vehicles) was the single best purchase we ever made. Unanimous! Oh, the nap in a temperature controlled environment was heavenly.

Let's go to AK people. We have fast passes for FOP and EE and night Safari. Wow! FOP, words can not describe that attraction. I had goose bumps all over my body that first 20 seconds. It takes your breath away! Seriously! It's nothing like I have ever experienced before. I actually needed a couple minutes after the attraction to process it all in. Hubby did it first with the kids and then I got to do it with the kids. The person handed out the paper rider switched must not have been paying attention, cause he gave me three. So now we have two extra anytime any day for FOP. Nice! The night time safari is ok, day is better. You can't really see the animals. Maybe a silloute or two here and there. You can see the alligators and loins. Some lights are up, but very few. If I was an elephant, I would be taking those darn light out with my trunk. I don't think the animals care for them. Not cool Disney. Not cool.

We were back before 9 and went down to the food truck. On the way back to our site, we met our new neighbor. He is a fun lovin whiskey drinker who swears a lot. He mentioned he has about 20 tubs of blow ups that he is going to display today. Any guess what I'm going to be doing? Well I'm going to be sitting right here at my site watching fun lovin whiskey drinker swear a lot and put up his Christmas display. I can't think of a better thing to do, can you? Free entertainment folks.

All that said, parks were the parks. Maybe I'm getting sour on them. I didn't make any fast passes this trip with exception to a couple for FOP cause really we just try to go with the flow and not live by a one hour window. I don't wanna go back to the parks for the rest of this week. We got Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday left here on week one and I wanna do all things "not parks". So we are going to hang around the Fort today. Likely, tomorrow too. For the rest of week one, we plan to Fort it up! We need to do some sit down Trails End. We need to do the camp fire, watch the fireworks, catch a movie or two, light parade. Kids want to do some pool side activities. We still haven't seen all the Christmas around here. In addition, we need to see all the resorts! Oh, Disney Springs too! I would like to do Epcot late one afternoon. I never feel trapped at Epcot and that will be a good time. Maybe Friday evening or Saturday for Epcot. That will give three park days to use in week two.

Well I have to go now, I have nothing scheduled that I need to get going on. I sure hope I have a few readers out there.

Melissa, your trip is making me envious. I know you will have a fab time, especially if hubs doesn’t land in jail for his stroller maneuvering, Love following your trip report. Keep it coming. BTW, winter has come very fast to the Midwest. High only 22 for the next few days, and holy wind. Enjoy the warmth.

Last edited:
eek. I can't do crowds either. I was hoping that if we did a Disney Christmas, it would be the week after Thanksgiving so hopefully no crowds, but it looks like there would still be tons.

This is making me want a camper more and more though :)

So like always, we are rope drop people. The sun was just coming up over Bay Lake and all was still. Black birds pearched on every post and squaked at each other. We planned to catch the resort boat and then walk, but just then at 7:15 am out came the big boat. What? What is this? The big boat never comes for us in January that early. We jumped on the big boat and was thankful for saving a mile on our feet. We hit rope drop on a Tuesday, which was to be low crowds and also a party day. I didn't think it would be as busy as it was. Here we are elbow to elbow to start the rat race. I gotta mention folks, hubby is now seriously skilled in menovering the old double BOB stroller through large crowds. Relax, I'm a professional, he says. Me? He kind of scares me with it and I think he is a stroller bully. Did my husband turn into one of those people? I think he did. I had to yell at him a few times. If he is a stroller bully next time in the parks, I'm taking his stroller pushing privileges away.

We did alright with the lines. I made our FP for AK so we were free riding here. Hubby and kids did Mine Train and grabbed a rider switch. It's like a paper fast pass good for anytime at any hour. Love these! Then we did Peter Pan for Charlotte cause we knew she would love it and she did! Then over to the mountains and did both there. Again, collecting anytime rider switch fast passes for those. After that, we inhaled Mickey pretzels and churros. What do you want to do now wife? I wanna do Pirates. Unanimous vote! Let's roll. Again, road rage hubby. What the heck is with him this trip and that stroller? Lord. We did Pirates and then back to over and did Little Mermaid and then it was time for lunch. We did some damage at Beast Castle. Everyone had a big meal and we ordered 6 "grey stuff" cupcakes for 4 cupcake eating people. Do the math! We were in there for like an hour and when we all finally rolled ourselves out of there the sun was in full blade and it was like 10 degrees warmer. Oh it burns, it burns. Think vampire like. AND WHERE DID ALL THESE PEOPLE COME FROM? My goodness! Did every other park close down or something? Too many, I can't do it. I can't! Boat! Go to the boat. Do not stop for anything other than that boat. Bee line it. Go! Mission boat! Just let hubby push the stroller and pretend your not with them.

We were back before 9 and went down to the food truck. On the way back to our site, we met our new neighbor. He is a fun lovin, whiskey drinker who swears a lot. He mentioned he has about 20 tubs of blow ups that he is going to display today. Any guess what I'm going to be doing? Well I'm going to be sitting right here at my site watching fun lovin, whiskey drinker who swears a lot, put up his Christmas display. I can't think of a better thing to do, can you? Free entertainment folks.

Glad the camper is working out for the family. I would avoid Epcot on both a Friday and Sat, too many locals, beer, etc.... personally I would do a Thursday evening. Sounds like a great trip and a great time is being had.

Great TR! I love the excitement and passion. And welcome to being an "Rver" and no longer a "camper". There are times I miss the simplicity of camping. Just me and what I carried in, but DW would never go back and I kind of like having her on the trips.

You may have to work on hubby and the stroller etiquette. Nobody likes one of "those" people.

j

PaHunter, took your advise and we did Epcot yesterday. Thanks!

Jim, hubby pushed that stroller around the parks like a perfect gentleman that he is. He says, sorry and will do better from now on.

My Charlotte has been very fussy the past couple days. This morning she seems a lot better. Crossing fingers she is on the up and up now. In all my prior trip reports, I do the majority of my report once back home. This trip, I thought I could keep it up in real time, but that has not proven true the past two days. Taking care of the kids, (you know keeping them fed, alive, and happy) plus trying to enjoy the trip myself, is resulting in all my time.

I appreciate so so very much reading everyone's reports and photos while at home and I want to provide a worth while quality report with this one here too (like I hope my past ones have been). For the sake of a good read with photos, please excuse me for now and know that I will take my daily notes and provide a good report once back home.

Again, we are in 1936 and here till the 18th.

Temps for Orlando are headed into the high 30s for Saturday and Sunday nights in Orlando, MM, according to Accuweather. BRRRRRrrrrrr!

There's a small hill over near the hitch-unhitch area in case you brought your skis from home in that roomy camper of yours.

giphy.gif

I bet you'll REALLY miss your old tent on those two nights. :woohoo: Bama Ed

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter