Touring UK from USA in Oct? Good idea or no? Thank you.

Mai Ku Tiki

DIS Veteran
Hello friends! Both our countries deaing with challenges (weather & otherwise) & I'm sorry for your heat/drought impacting so many there.

But it's been 5 yrs since I've been able to return & UK is my fave international destination.

This time, I hope to spend a month. I use only public transport & hope to stay in London with day trips out & then a few days each in Lincoln & York.

Are historic sites/museums full functioning now or would a wait til early spring be wiser?

Prices are MUCH higher for transportation & holiday flat rentals as expected, so if anyone can recommend an agency or other options, it's greatly appreciated. A studio is fine but I prefer a small kitchen to eat in often.

Thanks so much in advance. :flower3:

Come to Edinburgh… great place to visit and easily to get around using public transport.
:-) Yes. It IS a great place.
But Covid forced me to delay my "bucket-list fulfilment plan" & there are absolute MUST-DOs this time around.

:thanks:

In London, I wouldn’t worry about museums, attractions, etc. being closed - everything’s open pretty much all year round. Outside of major cities may be a different case, but you’ll be surprised how much is open - probably just check their website to make sure first.

October is a good time to visit - the weather is predictably unpredictable as per the UK’s norm, but as long as you prepare for rain, heat, cold and sun, you’ll be fine! (and all of them in a single day too)

I would also point out that the last two weeks of October there are school holidays (half the country has one week off, the other half has the other) so be prepared that some places, especially those that target a family audience, may be a little bit busier than earlier in the month.

In London, I wouldn’t worry about museums, attractions, etc. being closed - everything’s open pretty much all year round. Outside of major cities may be a different case, but you’ll be surprised how much is open - probably just check their website to make sure first.

October is a good time to visit - the weather is predictably unpredictable as per the UK’s norm, but as long as you prepare for rain, heat, cold and sun, you’ll be fine! (and all of them in a single day too)

I would also point out that the last two weeks of October there are school holidays (half the country has one week off, the other half has the other) so be prepared that some places, especially those that target a family audience, may be a little bit busier than earlier in the month.
Ah! I forgot about the Autumn term breaks! That's good to know. Maybe I'll do London 1st 2 wks then Lincoln/York last 2 to avoid crowds. Weather, I'm prepared for EXCEPT if there's a heat wave. I was afraid there were still Covid closures...Sad some indie bookshops & record stores didn't survive.

Well, back to the drawing board with your excellent info.
Many thanks.

October tends to be quite chilly, so I would decide what you want to do and try and determine whether many of the things are weather dependent. I’d say your best chance of good weather is in the later summer months (June, July and August), and obviously it’s much easier to spend time outdoors during the summer. October is definitely still OK, but just be prepared to bring coats and potentially hats and gloves too!

Are you planning on staying in London for nearly a full month? There are lots of other towns and cities nearby that are worth a stay and likely to be less expensive in terms of accommodation if you decided to split your trip up a bit more.

I’d also say if you fly out in October and your trip happens to extend into November, that’s an added bonus as many Christmas decorations will be up and this is really special in London!

With the exchange rate at the moment - have a look at the pricing for some of the more upscale hotels in London aswell - particularly in the first couple of weeks of October before school holidays you may be able to get some really really fancy ones for a great deal!!

October tends to be quite chilly, so I would decide what you want to do and try and determine whether many of the things are weather dependent. I’d say your best chance of good weather is in the later summer months (June, July and August), and obviously it’s much easier to spend time outdoors during the summer. October is definitely still OK, but just be prepared to bring coats and potentially hats and gloves too!

Are you planning on staying in London for nearly a full month? There are lots of other towns and cities nearby that are worth a stay and likely to be less expensive in terms of accommodation if you decided to split your trip up a bit more.

I’d also say if you fly out in October and your trip happens to extend into November, that’s an added bonus as many Christmas decorations will be up and this is really special in London!
Thanks very much. Yes, am prepared for the weather & prefer London with less crowds & no need for AC.
Looking to use our London rented holiday flat as a home base with day trips out...Pending strikes, of course. But we've been several times & have learned to be flexible. Xmas decorations will be an added PLUS!

Can't wait! :thanks:

With the exchange rate at the moment - have a look at the pricing for some of the more upscale hotels in London aswell - particularly in the first couple of weeks of October before school holidays you may be able to get some really really fancy ones for a great deal!!

YES! It is such a welcome change ... our prior trips pre-Covid we endured 1.4/1.55/1.7/1.9 to the dollar. OUCH! But always worth it. We have a deep appreciation for the history preserved so well in the UK.
I'd feel much happier about the exchange rate if current economic conditions weren't looking so dire for the people living in UK.

Actually have always rented a holiday flat. Saves bundles cooking & eating at home. This time, many fewer choices but luckily one of our faves came thru.

Thank you!:wave2:

YES! It is such a welcome change ... our prior trips pre-Covid we endured 1.4/1.55/1.7/1.9 to the dollar. OUCH! But always worth it. We have a deep appreciation for the history preserved so well in the UK.
I'd feel much happier about the exchange rate if current economic conditions weren't looking so dire for the people living in UK.

Actually have always rented a holiday flat. Saves bundles cooking & eating at home. This time, many fewer choices but luckily one of our faves came thru.

Thank you!:wave2:
Don’t worry about us in the U.K. Reports in the US regarding our economic position are over blown.

Don’t worry about us in the U.K. Reports in the US regarding our economic position are over blown.
Well, I watch UK news daily...With the pound virtually = dollar (it crashed yesterday) & the energy issues, the economy is being impacted, as are many many families.
Good to hear things are good for others, though! Cheers! 🍻

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter