Topical lidocaine for ear piercing?

Maybe shes just not ready and you need to let her do it when she gets older. Everything you've stated leads me to say. Your daughter is not ready. You are ready but shes not. Its ok for her not to look like all the other little girls or not fit in the mold. My niece didn't get her ears pierces till she was 11 because she was afraid to have them done when she was little. Her father took her to get her ears pierced and bought her a pair of screw back diamond studs for her new piercings. It was a treasured memory not something horrible she recalls upon. Mind you my sibling and I had our pierced in the hospital when we were babies. No memory nothing special about it. I say make it special don't rush her into something shes not ready for.

I recently used lidocaine before having some skin tags removed and it worked great - after I let it sit for an hour. I bought it on Amazon and got the highest percentage they sold... I think it was 4%.

I took my 11 year old for her 2nd holes in June, (1st done @ 3 months old). I was expecting all holy H$ll to break loose, but she laughed when they did the first hole, and continued to laugh as they did the second one.:laughing:

Like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get!!! Good luck!

I have to admit, if she can't handle the pain of getting her ears pierced, she should not be considering it right now.

As others have said, it doesn't really hurt that bad. But it is certainly not a requirement, and if the pain is a factor, just don't do it.

If she cannot handle the pain, she doesn't need to get them pierced, period. She won't bw able to handle cleaning them and caring for them, especially if one gets infected, which almost always happens at some point in the game. THIS is why kids need to understand and be able to deal with the fact that they will be painful. If she cannot cope without drugs, she doesn't need to do it.

Maybe shes just not ready and you need to let her do it when she gets older. Everything you've stated leads me to say. Your daughter is not ready. You are ready but shes not. Its ok for her not to look like all the other little girls or not fit in the mold. My niece didn't get her ears pierces till she was 11 because she was afraid to have them done when she was little. Her father took her to get her ears pierced and bought her a pair of screw back diamond studs for her new piercings. It was a treasured memory not something horrible she recalls upon. Mind you my sibling and I had our pierced in the hospital when we were babies. No memory nothing special about it. I say make it special don't rush her into something shes not ready for.

We never once brought it up. I could care less if she gets her ears pierced ever.

The thing is, it's the shot part that scares her. She got pneumonia and almost died, and since her stay in the hospital she is terrified of needles and shots. Perfectly normal considering what she went through, and she has been seeing someone to help her with her fears and anxiety. After her hospitalization, she started having nightmares, trouble sleeping, and so on. For a long time she was hysterical even just going to see her primary care doc because she was afraid she was getting shots. Taking care of them isn't going to be a problem for her, but getting a shot in her ear lobes is scaring her.

And really, I don't feel like it's a right of passage and you have to have the pain because everyone else does. If I can keep her from feeling pain, I will.

I have to admit, if she can't handle the pain of getting her ears pierced, she should not be considering it right now.

As others have said, it doesn't really hurt that bad. But it is certainly not a requirement, and if the pain is a factor, just don't do it.

I don't think the actual pain is the issue, it's the fear. Being told that her ears can be numbed will ease the fear, even if it has little effect on the pain (which is likely to be very slight anyway).

We never once brought it up. I could care less if she gets her ears pierced ever.

The thing is, it's the shot part that scares her. She got pneumonia and almost died, and since her stay in the hospital she is terrified of needles and shots. Perfectly normal considering what she went through, and she has been seeing someone to help her with her fears and anxiety. After her hospitalization, she started having nightmares, trouble sleeping, and so on. For a long time she was hysterical even just going to see her primary care doc because she was afraid she was getting shots. Taking care of them isn't going to be a problem for her, but getting a shot in her ear lobes is scaring her.

And really, I don't feel like it's a right of passage and you have to have the pain because everyone else does. If I can keep her from feeling pain, I will.

Ok, so with that info forget the pain factor. You would rather trigger a post transfixed flashback than tell her no? If she is THAT freaked out about the needle aspect, I don't know why you are even considering it. Part of being a parent is knowing that sometimes your kid has to experience pain and there is nothing you can do about it. But more often, being a parent means being the adult to spare them unnecessary pain.
Be the adult and get her some magnetic clipons.

Ok, so with that info forget the pain factor. You would rather trigger a post transfixed flashback than tell her no? If she is THAT freaked out about the needle aspect, I don't know why you are even considering it. Part of being a parent is knowing that sometimes your kid has to experience pain and there is nothing you can do about it. But more often, being a parent means being the adult to spare them unnecessary pain.
Be the adult and get her some magnetic clipons.

That's unreasonably harsh. She's been seeing a psychologist to help her with these issues, and now she feels she wants to do it. If she is choosing to swallow her needle phobia and get her ears pierced, I want it to be as good of an experience as possible. I don't see anything wrong with that.

You know, if I was a bad parent, I would have run her out the same day to some joint in the mall and made her go through with it. But as it is, I am looking for reasonable (IMO) options to help her through it, we are making her wait a few months to make sure she really wants to have it done, we have been honest with her about how it will feel, the care that they will take and so on. I don't see how I'm the bad guy here, lol. My soon to be 9 year old sees that all her friends have pierced ears and she wants them, too. Such is pre-teen life. Personally, I don't even own a single pair of earrings, so I could care less.

That's unreasonably harsh. She's been seeing a psychologist to help her with these issues, and now she feels she wants to do it. If she is choosing to swallow her needle phobia and get her ears pierced, I want it to be as good of an experience as possible. I don't see anything wrong with that.

You know, if I was a bad parent, I would have run her out the same day to some joint in the mall and made her go through with it. But as it is, I am looking for reasonable (IMO) options to help her through it, we are making her wait a few months to make sure she really wants to have it done, we have been honest with her about how it will feel, the care that they will take and so on. I don't see how I'm the bad guy here, lol. My soon to be 9 year old sees that all her friends have pierced ears and she wants them, too. Such is pre-teen life. Personally, I don't even own a single pair of earrings, so I could care less.
I don't think it is unreasonably harsh, and I don't think anyone is calling you a bad parent. I think we all lose perspective where our own kids are concerned sometimes and need reminding. I think it is a little excessive to use a topical for an ear piercing. It is not like it is a necessary procedure. I wouldn't even be considering it if your DD is at all uncomfortable. She doesn't NEED her ears pierced. She WANTS them pierced, and if she wants it badly enough, she will sit for it without the help of drugs. I agree with what many others here are saying. If she is scared to get them pierced, she doesn't need a crutch to get her through. She needs to wait until she is ready. Providing her with a crutch to get through this via a drug is not doing anything to solve the overall problem, and in fact could likrly be counterproductive.
I have been where your DD is. I had a case of hepA as a 3 year old that was misdiagnosed for 3 weeks. I went into liver failure and almost died. I had daily blood draws for 6 weeks to run liver enzyme panels. I was so frightened of needles that my mother had to drive me to the doctor at 18 to get a mesaels shot to go to college. I physically couldn't do it. I didn't get my ears pierced until I could deal with the idea and sit still for it.

Personally, I fall into the "make her wait" corner on this one!

I have a 16 year old who has had anxiety issues. I'd suggest taking your daughter for a counselor who deals with this issue rather than trying to create a patchwork of coping techniques.

I'd deal with her anxiety issues first.

We never used it on our daughter and she was fine. Half the battle is getting over the fear of it hurting.

...why feel pain if you don't have to?

Because pain tells you something. Pain tells you "this is a big deal" or "the body is working HARD" or "there is something very bad happening here" and the like.

Piercing body parts (I have 3 holes in one ear, 1 hole in the other, and I've had my navel pierced twice) is one of those "there is something bad happening here" moments. I had a LOT of pain with my tattoo that I had done at 21 (around the same time that I had my 3 ear-piercing done), and even though I *want* to have another (actually I just want a coverup), I haven't, because there is lots and lots of pain involved.

But as it is, I am looking for reasonable (IMO) options to help her through it....

And you're being given them.

The aftercare will almost certainly hurt FAR more than the momentary pain of the piercing. It's going to be especially bad if you numb her beforehand, because she'll go from no pain at all to ow ow ow ow. Whereas if she has a little ear pain during the piercing, the possible pain afterwards won't be out of the blue. I think you're doing her a huge disservice by wanting to numb her for when a sharp object enters her flesh; it IS a rite of passage and it IS a big deal, and I feel being able to deal with that concept is part of knowing that you're mature enough.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter