Top 7 Spring Break SSR Trip "Moments of Huh?!?!"

Is it really too much to ask that you keep your "Lord of the Flies" parenting style on hold till ya get back home?

:rotfl: You should put that in your signature. :)

So how big are the coffee cups? How many ounces do they hold?

Parades...I have a kid...I would never ever think that he should get to go in front of anyone. I've never sent him to stand in front of others who got there before me. I also don't allow him to be put on shoulders (one time my brother and I were elsewhere and we met DH and DS at the parade at Disneyland, and DH had him on his shoulders, I was aghast b/c there were people behind DH who now couldn't see because of the huge profile they were making). I have been known to hold DS on my hip, which means he's about the same height as I am, and that's as far as I'll go. I figure, if we have tall people in front of us, we should move. I'm only 5'3", so I'm used to not being able to see, even if "normal" height people are standing in front of me...

I hereby nominate this as Thread Of The Year.

"I've seen this episode at least 30 times and that must mean you've seen it 100... lets go!"

My kids do *exactly* the same thing. In the past, we've not put much of a limit on TV during vacation, but we do at home. After our most recent trip of having our children be total TVaholics, we've decided that some limits will be in order going forward.

Parades...I have a kid...I would never ever think that he should get to go in front of anyone.
I guess I didn't read that in the OP's post. It seems to be customary that the guests "on the rope" for a parade generally sit so the "second row" also has a good view. Younger kids might not, but adults usually do. At least, they mostly have when I've been paying attention. I believe that's all the OP was asking.

A reminder that the DVC Boards do not allow smoking discussions. I am not going to edit or delete the existing posts in this thread, but please do not make further comments on the subject.

Item #2 I sooooo agree with. It shocks me everytime we watch a parade and adults that get to the curb side early and don't let children in front of them to see the parade. I usually park our stroller across the curb before the parade that way once the parade starts I can usually fit about six kids in front so they can see (not my children either).
We were at Mk this christmas, got to main st. 1/2 hour before the parade. There was an older couple beside on the curb (sitting). Another family came wit young children, and stood behind them (since their kids were tall enough to see over the adults). Once the parade started the adults stood up blocking the view of the youngesters. I asked them if they could sit down or let the kids in front of the where they could sit, and this couple rudely barked at me saying I should have been there earlier. I replied my kids are beside you on the curb, I just trying to make this magicial for all the other kids.
They refused,,so we did our best to squeese them in front of us. Some people I tell you have no manners.

Soooo mean. We always look around us to make sure the kids can see :sad2:

The cups are miniscule, aren't they??? I commented about them as well on my Kidani review earlier today. Someone mentioned packing those disposable cups with the lid (so you can take it with you on the bus) and I thought that was a good alternative.

I agree about the TV. Why don't they broadcast the Disney Family Movies channel? I love Phineas and Ferb, but I had enough of it last week. How about some programming for the grownups? The kids are brought there by the adults in their lives, aren't they? I don't see any school age children traveling there by themselves.

I guess I didn't read that in the OP's post. It seems to be customary that the guests "on the rope" for a parade generally sit so the "second row" also has a good view. Younger kids might not, but adults usually do. At least, they mostly have when I've been paying attention. I believe that's all the OP was asking.

Oh, it was more of a response to the conversation that happened later. :)

I also usually assume that people sitting will stand at some point, guess it just comes from being short and having bad luck! :upsidedow

Excellent post OP. Nice mixture of serious and funny. You have my compliments (which do not come very often).

HBC

Hilarious and oh so true.... all of it, especially the hot tub, pool and bbq....and the parade crashers. Sending you good vibes.

Don't you wish, just sometimes, that you were somewhat telepathic and you could send your mental messages of irritation and disbelief to these people's brains through the airwaves, but they wouldn't know who was sending it?

or that you had a Go-Go-Gadget extend-a-arm to reach out and slap them from great distances??

No, I haven't been drinking tonight....

Excellent post OP. Nice mixture of serious and funny. You have my compliments (which do not come very often).

HBC

Thanks for the compliment! Had fun posting it as well - we did indeed have a great trip. Just some of those odd little moments which add color and dimension to any trip!

@ #5 when I see that family, I strategically let others go ahead of us in line so we are not in the same boat, safari truck, etc ;)

Ya know - this is a great idea. I will say that in this case, we thought we'd left them behind us in the line when all of a sudden, while we're right at the front of the line behind 5 people, these folks come pushing past us to join that group in front of us.

So actually, there's strike three on bad behaviors in a single ride (climbing on the cannon - strike one, pushing past us in line without saying excuse me or we're with that group - sorry!, etc, and then standing up on ride and splashing water back on the boat - this after one of the adults in the group was throwing water at the kids from a water bottle).

So indeed we should have milled around and let these yahoos have their own boat!

A reminder that the DVC Boards do not allow smoking discussions. . . . . . . . .

Where is that listed? I looked in the Board Guidelines and a few other places. I found other topics or actions listed that were not allowed or would cause a thread or user to be removed, but nothing on _moking.

Don't mind following the rules, just want a clear vision of them.

Where is that listed? I looked in the Board Guidelines and a few other places. I found other topics or actions listed that were not allowed or would cause a thread or user to be removed, but nothing on _moking.

Same here:confused3

6. Seriously. The Suite Life is ALWAYS on TV? You're Disney! You have DECADES of shows and movies to choose from and you chose THIS to air in the rooms non-stop??? I'd rather see the infomercials from that dude selling appliances. (Seriously, I miss that infomercial)

4. Hannah Montana every other hour on TV in the room? See #6.

It's the same reason the resorts in vegas don't put anything good on. They don't want you hanging out watching TV in the room. They want you out in the parks and stores spending more $$. :rolleyes1

Same here:confused3

Smoking threads and discussions have not been allowed on the DVC boards since all WDW resorts went non-smoking, as it is a Disney-wide policy, not a DVC specific policy. Prior to that, the topic was confined to a single thread, like we do with occupancy discussions.

About parades...anyone who has been to Disney more than once knows the deal...if you want prime parade seating, you pay the price of parking yourself there early and just cope with your antsy kids and the monkey butt you'll get from sitting so long on the concrete. If your stroller is taking up half of Orange County, so be it...you earned the right to be there by sacrificing park time for a good parade watching spot. But DO NOT come up with your kids at the last minute and shove them in front of me with their 3 foot diameter balloons and light up shoes and spinning wands etc because one of the reasons I queued up so early when I'd much rather be on Splash Mountain was to have nothing in front of me. I'm probably trying to take pictures. And I will be sitting down so those behind me can see. I love kids. Have two. And when they were parade age, we bit the bullet and sat and waited sometimes an hour on that hard concrete so they could have an unobstructed view, too. I'm not heartless: I have on many occasions taken pity on some poor kids whose parents wanted them to have a front row seat but didn't want to wait for it and invited them to come in front of us or squished over to make room. But it should not be the expectation that every adult should automatically defer to let any kid (or group of kids) park themselves in front of you. In my view of the world, adults aren't rude for not allowing you to thrust your child(ren) in front of them...you are rude for expecting other people who have waited a long, boring time to just let you waltz up at the last minute and give your kids princess seating. Just my opinion...your own mileage may vary.

About the hot tubs...I don't know which is worse...the cavalier conversation of teens whose futures are so bright they have to wear shades or what is often the case (in our recent experiences) where the hot tub becomes a kiddie pool with little kids jumping in and out (just when you are trying to soothe your monkey butt from sitting on the concrete so long waiting for the parade) and, from our personal collection of hot tub horrors...some mother who was floating her eight month-or-so old baby in one of those baby swim rings like an onion ring cooking in a FryDaddy. I made a polite suggestion that maybe the water might be too hot for her baby. The mom said she didn't think it was too hot since her baby was not crying. At AKL and VWL I think one of the hot tubs at each place is supposed to be adults-only after a certain hour, but both are usually loaded with young kids (still at the jumping in and splashing around age). We will almost always leave rather than make a scene or appoint ourselves police. It's just a shame, though, because it would be really nice to just sit in a relatively quiet hot tub without screeching and splashing and constant jumping in and out.

My teenage daughter is headed to WDW this Saturday with a couple busloads of her fellow band members to march in a parade in MK on Wednesday. No fear of them, though...they are staying off property! The rest of the family is flying down and will be at VWL. Hope the ducks are still swimming in the pool. One of my favorite WL features. That's enough crabbing for one post...like complaining of truffles.

Smoking threads and discussions have not been allowed on the DVC boards since all WDW resorts went non-smoking, as it is a Disney-wide policy, not a DVC specific policy. Prior to that, the topic was confined to a single thread, like we do with occupancy discussions.

That's cool, I have no problem with that, but the comment was made as if someone had overlooked a stated policy, not something that we were just suppose to know.

WDW doesn't allow alot of things. I assume we should not discuss those either . . .

I totally agree about the hot tubs!! Frankly, I'd like them to not allow anyone under 12 in the hot tubs. Maybe by that age they are at least too big to jump in without being hurt. Frankly, I do NOT want to be in a hot tub with a diaper age child anyway. I don't care if they do have a swim diaper on. It just isn't something I think any adult should be exposed to, and it certainly is not healthy for a baby to be floating around in the hot water!

While we are on the topic of bugaboos at WDW, on our recent trip (we were there for the better part of two weeks and came home yesterday), we decided that there are certain things that have become like weapons in the parks. One is the giant strollers that people push into the backs of your heals or run over your toes with. The second would be the mamoth back packs that stick out a full 2 feet from the wearer. I saw several people get taken out by those with a quick turn, and I learned to brace when I had one in front of me. I'm not sure why some folks feel they need to take their entire wardrobe and a full meal for 12 to the parks each day!:confused3

or that you had a Go-Go-Gadget extend-a-arm to reach out and slap them from great distances??
On another board, we were talking about the value of the paid "front of the line" perks, such as Universal's Express, or Sea World's QuickQueue. I would gladly pay a non-trivial sum of money for a device that would let me deliver a mild electric shock to the five most "worthy" guests in a day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter