Top 7 Spring Break SSR Trip "Moments of Huh?!?!"

djmeen

Mouseketeer
So here's the disclaimer - we've had a GREAT week here and tomorrow we head home!

No real complaints at all - a bit of rain the first couple of days but we had the ponchos and a plan so it didn't slow us down at all (plus kept the crowd low :)

But with every trip the wife and I have a few moments which we find incredulous (nothing to ruin the day much less the trip) and these are the top 7....

7. The coffee cups here are too small...for toddlers, much less me. I've had bigger shots of tequila.

6. Seriously. The Suite Life is ALWAYS on TV? You're Disney! You have DECADES of shows and movies to choose from and you chose THIS to air in the rooms non-stop??? I'd rather see the infomercials from that dude selling appliances. (Seriously, I miss that infomercial)

5. Okay people. I get it. You're excited to be here and so are your kids, so maybe you just don't notice the other 40,000 of us here with you at the park. But we are here too. So how about you practice a bit of courtesy to us and the park itself? For example, how about not letting your 12 year old kid climb up on the cannons in the Pirates of the Caribbean line (and taking their pic and laughing while they do it), much less letting the same kid stand up in the boat while the ride is in motion, reach over the side and proceed to splash water over all of us in the back of the boat? Is it really too much to ask that you keep your "Lord of the Flies" parenting style on hold till ya get back home? Just askin...

4. Hannah Montana every other hour on TV in the room? See #6.

3. Cap'n Jack's. Yeah, I'm talking to you. Let me get this straight. You're a "marina styled" restaurant in Downtown Disney overlooking the water and you have a grand total of 3 flippin lunch entrees which are actually seafood??? Huh?? You are OFF THE LIST for future trips.

2. Adults at parade time with no kids - good for you that you got to the parade early. Seriously, my wife and I take a trip without kids once a year too and we like parades. But that said, how about if you're right at the front you sit down so the little kids can watch the parade? You're 6'3" - the kids are 2'3" - with the right math and geometry applied you can probably figure out the problem here.

1. Young adults - I get it. It's Spring Break. Ya'll are cool and are at SSR with your buds/family/band - whatever. I don't mind that. Good for you that you decide to grill out by the pool here at the Paddocks. Doesn't even bother me that all 15 of ya'll crammed up in the hot tub. But come on - smoking cigarettes IN THE POOL? Maybe you didn't notice all of those little humans in the pool. They're called kids. You were one once - remember? After you hatched? So look, I know you're all cool and moody and 19 and smoking is something or another to help you deal with the rough day you had facebooking and texting. But don't smoke in the pool by my kids. Seriously.

Ok - so a week here and that is the worst of it all which just goest to show it was a great week! Plus now I feel better for my mini-rant. Thanks for indulging me.

- Chris

#7 - I completely agree. One of the first things I do in the first day is buy a big ole new coffee mug at the gift shop. One of those that holds 2-3 cups of coffee :thumbsup2

#3 - They really need to do something about the restaurant...it's been falling down in quality for years. It has such a prime location, a serious overall is long due. Maybe they could let Joe's Crab Shack buy it out...yummmmmm!

#1 - was this the main pool? Yuck in any respect.

I agree for the most part, But I will take exception to #2. My DW and I will be standing up to enjoy the Parade. Your children however are welcome to stand in front on me if you will allow it.

Item #2 I sooooo agree with. It shocks me everytime we watch a parade and adults that get to the curb side early and don't let children in front of them to see the parade. I usually park our stroller across the curb before the parade that way once the parade starts I can usually fit about six kids in front so they can see (not my children either).
We were at Mk this christmas, got to main st. 1/2 hour before the parade. There was an older couple beside on the curb (sitting). Another family came wit young children, and stood behind them (since their kids were tall enough to see over the adults). Once the parade started the adults stood up blocking the view of the youngesters. I asked them if they could sit down or let the kids in front of the where they could sit, and this couple rudely barked at me saying I should have been there earlier. I replied my kids are beside you on the curb, I just trying to make this magicial for all the other kids.
They refused,,so we did our best to squeese them in front of us. Some people I tell you have no manners.

sorry, have to disagre about the parade as well - Ive tried the 'let kids get in front of me" for a curb spot I waited an a hour for so I could try for some great pictures - what happens - the kids have the glow and the dark toys and their toys are in all my pictures!

the problem I have w. this is that I believe USUALLY the situation is like this:

1. adults find a front row spot early for a parade well in advance.

2. LATER, much closer to the parade start time, people w. kids come up trying to get a spot, see that all the front row spots are taken, and then begin trying to put their kids in front of strangers and don't care how the kids behave.

to the OP, I'm not saying you did this, just that I've seen it happen too many times to count.

Well, for the record we come often enough that it's not an issue for us and the kids to see the parades.

So no, we don't push them in front of other folks. And we get to the parade early enough so it's not an issue (plus we sit down).

Just a difference of opinion - and a perfect case where you can be right (you get there early and you deserve that spot) but maybe it's not right.

But that's why I say if you get behind a stander, you can always move on down the road and then post it on your top 7 later on the Dis boards. :)

How did I know that one might spark a bit of passion?

. . . . . . . .

3. Cap'n Jack's. Yeah, I'm talking to you. Let me get this straight. You're a "marina styled" restaurant in Downtown Disney overlooking the water and you have a grand total of 3 flippin lunch entrees which are actually seafood??? Huh?? You are OFF THE LIST for future trips.

1. Young adults - I get it. It's Spring Break. Ya'll are cool and are at SSR with your buds/family/band - whatever. I don't mind that. . . . . . . . . . .

Can't disagree with any of djmeen's post, but just have to comment:

3. Why was Cap'n Jacks ever on your list? It sucked big time back when DW & I visited in 1990.

1. young adults on spring break:

I sat in the Hot Tub at the Congress Park quiet pool with 6 or 8 young adults three years ago during spring break (our last spring break at WDW!). They were all drinking beer in the tub and talking about their upcoming graduations. They had the world by the tail. I was the only silver back in the tub.

I slid in the tub just to intimidate the crowd. It was fun. DW did not participate, and went back to the room. So I sat and listened to the talk of their upcoming success and how they would not fail now that they had their college degrees, and found it incredibly satisfying to remember that there was a time in life when I did not fear the reality of maintaining "the empire" (Family, home, insurances, job, community, etc).

I remember thinking 'They don't have a clue'. But since then the more I have contemplated on it, maybe it is I that has lost the inocence of what it all means . . . . . . . . . . naahhhhh.

When the tub was beginning to empty, one of the young bulls finally spoke to me. "There arn't many young people at this resort, are there?"

I answered with pride and a smile, "Not usually"

I would have probably lost it and said something.....I cannot stand smoke, and when I am in a place that is smoke free, I speak up..Im the person that walks up to the folks walking and smoking and point out smoking areas....

This is hilarious but so true.:lmao: As for waiting to see a parade or wishes in MK. My son and I make sure to get there early. Me being 5'2" I need to be closer to the front. I just sit on the ground with enough space for he and I. But there are some rude people who just try to bogard when the festivities are about to begin:mad: and trust me I make sure they hear it.:laughing:

too often, everywhere, people think they are the only ones in the world.
I would have had no problem telling the cool kid at the pool to kill the cigarette. I agree with the parade position, we'll get there early to get a front spot and I'll sit down. I'm the guy that is 6'4" and would be blocking the little kid. As a tall person, I do take exception if I am several back in the crowd and someone behind can't see over me, just cause I'm tall doesn't mean I have to be at the very back of the bus.

sorry, have to disagre about the parade as well - Ive tried the 'let kids get in front of me" for a curb spot I waited an a hour for so I could try for some great pictures - what happens - the kids have the glow and the dark toys and their toys are in all my pictures!

the problem I have w. this is that I believe USUALLY the situation is like this:

1. adults find a front row spot early for a parade well in advance.

2. LATER, much closer to the parade start time, people w. kids come up trying to get a spot, see that all the front row spots are taken, and then begin trying to put their kids in front of strangers and don't care how the kids behave.

to the OP, I'm not saying you did this, just that I've seen it happen too many times to count.

That is a fact! Parents get upset when I took the time to stake out a place early and put up with all the baloney :headache:my kids dish out while waiting for the parade then they come by and want in on our spot.That is very nerny and will be told so.:goodvibes

Great post - I like your humor:thumbsup2

I can't imagine standing for a parade if I have front row (which we usually do since we get there about 60 minutes or so before a parade). I like to sit and enjoy.

Now if I could only get those people who turn my original spot from 2 adults with 2 children sitting on our laps or in front to literally barely enough room for 1.5 adults as they squish us then we might be ok.

@ #5 when I see that family, I strategically let others go ahead of us in line so we are not in the same boat, safari truck, etc ;)

Oh, teens acting too cool for everybody really burns me! I have some teens that try this and it makes me grow horns out of my head! I'll warn them that satanic mommy is coming out and they usually straighten up!:rotfl2:

Chris, thank you so much for the (much needed) laugh this morning. :rotfl2: Glad that your trip (even with its moments) was good. :goodvibes

So here's the disclaimer - we've had a GREAT week here and tomorrow we head home!

No real complaints at all - a bit of rain the first couple of days but we had the ponchos and a plan so it didn't slow us down at all (plus kept the crowd low :)

But with every trip the wife and I have a few moments which we find incredulous (nothing to ruin the day much less the trip) and these are the top 7....

6. Seriously. The Suite Life is ALWAYS on TV? You're Disney! You have DECADES of shows and movies to choose from and you chose THIS to air in the rooms non-stop??? I'd rather see the infomercials from that dude selling appliances. (Seriously, I miss that infomercial)

4. Hannah Montana every other hour on TV in the room? See #6.

Ok - so a week here and that is the worst of it all which just goest to show it was a great week! Plus now I feel better for my mini-rant. Thanks for indulging me.

- Chris

:rotfl::rotfl2::lmao::thumbsup2

I am with you and believe me.... more than once we heard my brother tell my niece -- "We paid a lot of money on airfare and tickets to come with your Auntie and Uncle to WDW. You can watch Zach when we get home!" or the famous, "I've seen this episode at least 30 times and that must mean you've seen it 100... lets go!"

:happytv::rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter