Top 3 attractions in MK at Rope Drop??

Goldilocks07

A rockin' mom and her sweet princess
We are attempting RD at MK tomorrow. Besides all the roller coasters (I have an uninterested 6 year old), what top 3 attractions would you try and beat the lines??
*I have FPs for Pooh, HM, and JC. I'm hoping to cover a ride or two in between those.
Thanks!

absolutely Peter Pan. Beautiful ride, but it's better to do it at RP instead of using a Fp on it.
Also Splash mountain is one of those ride that it's better to do in the first morning (hoping in a good weather)

Oh right! Peter Pan the new run to splash.
Ugh. The weather this week looks frightening.

well, Little mermaid usually is not one of those rides where you can find a huge queue (depending on the periods of course).
Maybe, if you want to stay in Fantasyland, then it's better the goofy coaster if you plan to do it :) that usually has a quite disturbing queue.

With a 6 year old I'd go first to Pirates then Splash Mountain. You should be able to do both at RD with fairly minimal waits and those would be my first rides. All this sort of depends on when/where you have your first FP.

Whichever three rides you choose, I would make sure they were in close proximity to each other. Rushing to Peter Pan, then turning around and heading to Splash Mountain, only to go back to Fantasyland is a big waste of time. You'll lose more walking back and forth from attraction to attraction than you'll save in waiting in line.

Quite honestly, If Peter Pan was my rope drop priority, I would follow it up with Small World and Haunted Mansion while I'm in that area. It makes no sense to walk 15 minutes to Splash Mountain and then wait 30 minutes for Small World later in the day if you could walk right on Small World at 9:05. Since you have a HM fastpass, I would probably suggest the Little Mermaid ride as the third one.

Peter Pan, Pirates of the Caribbean, Splash Mountain, and yes you should go ahead and ride the little Mermaid ride in the morning even though the waits do not get real long like some.You could still maybe get right on and out. Peter Pan would be my first pick because lines get long real quick there.

Whichever three rides you choose, I would make sure they were in close proximity to each other. Rushing to Peter Pan, then turning around and heading to Splash Mountain, only to go back to Fantasyland is a big waste of time. You'll lose more walking back and forth from attraction to attraction than you'll save in waiting in line.

Quite honestly, If Peter Pan was my rope drop priority, I would follow it up with Small World and Haunted Mansion while I'm in that area. It makes no sense to walk 15 minutes to Splash Mountain and then wait 30 minutes for Small World later in the day if you could walk right on Small World at 9:05. Since you have a HM fastpass, I would probably suggest the Little Mermaid ride as the third one.
I also agree with this, knock all the rides out in one land first before heading to another. I would go to Peter Pan first, then Small World, Little Mermaid and any other rides in Fantasyland followed by Haunted Mansion because it is not far from there.

Completely disagree about Small World. Would never ride that at RD, or within the first 2-3 hours of park opening. Small World is roughly 15 minutes long and has massive ride capacity, so you spend a lot of time on that ride at a time when the parks aren't that busy and even during the busiest times and time of day it usually isn't that long of a wait. Apologies for the disagreement.

At rope drop we usually head straight to Peter Pan and then head over to Splash Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain. You could of course ride Pooh, Small World and Little Mermaid but I would skip Philharmagic until later. It's a wonderful show but usually easy to see at almost any time. There is also Enchanted Tales with Belle and princess meet and greets to consider.

Completely disagree about Small World. Would never ride that at RD, or within the first 2-3 hours of park opening. Small World is roughly 15 minutes long and has massive ride capacity, so you spend a lot of time on that ride at a time when the parks aren't that busy and even during the busiest times and time of day it usually isn't that long of a wait. Apologies for the disagreement.

This is the same reason I would do Splash before Pirates. Splash Mountain's line can get long pretty quick in the day, where as Pirate's has a large ride capacity. It takes a long time for that ride to build a long line. Definitely Peter Pan first though.

I can promise you that walking directly from Peter Pan to Splash Mountain wastes more time than you save in the long run. Truth be told the correct approach is to always fast pass Peter Pan, 7DMT and either Space Mountain or Jungle Cruise. Depending on which of the latter two you fast pass, you rope drop the other side of the park. It is fairly easy to complete everything Tomorrowland or Adventureland/Fronteirland by 11:00 with a 9:00 rope drop (assuming walk-on things like COP, Tiki Room, etc. are saved for after the crowds build) . But, as is the case with the OP, if you have a young child that will not be riding any of the coasters, if you start in Fantasyland, you should stay in Fantasyland. I'm always amazed by the amount of time people waste crisscrossing the park.

Last edited:
I always rope drop PP, use a FP+ on 7DMT and then go to FL->AL using a FP+ on Jungle Cruise. Then It's off to lunch or FP+ Space Mountain and start grabbing extra FP+ for things like HM or Buzz.

I can promise you that walking directly from Peter Pan to Splash Mountain wastes more time than you save in the long run. Truth be told the correct approach is to always fast pass Peter Pan, 7DMT and either Space Mountain or Jungle Cruise. Depending on which of the latter two you fast pass, you rope drop the other side of the park. It is fairly easy to complete everything Tomorrowland or Adventureland/Fronteirland by 11:00 with a 9:00 rope drop (assuming walk-on things like COP, Tiki Room, etc. are saved for after the crowds build) . But, as is the case with the OP, if you have a young child that will not be riding any of the coasters, if you start in Fantasyland, you should stay in Fantasyland. I'm always amazed by the amount of time people waste crisscrossing the park.
I have a different approach. I RD Space Mt, followed by Peter Pan, Pooh and the rest of Fantasyland (including a FP+ for 7DMT). Then I head to Haunted Mansion, Pirates and Jungle Cruise. I plan FP+s for Splash and Big Thunder for lunch time ish. Then I try to get a 4th FP for Buzz later in the day. If the Pirates line is too long when I try mid morning, I try for an additional FP for it before I get one for Buzz.

With a six year old, I would probably start at PP, hit Enchanted Tales with Bell, then Ariel's Undersea Adventure, then maybe head toward Tomorrowland to do the speedway and buzz.

Thank you for all these.
DD just had a moment of crazy and said no to Belle but YES to space mountain!!! I'm like, okkkk....
So maybe we go straight to PP then Space Mountain? After that we will go on w our day of FPs. And get new ones throughout the day.

I hope I get on splash. Bc the next time we come it will be under a refurb. So I hear.

My advice is to avoid Fantasyland at rope drop because everyone goes there. Hit the headliners at other parts of the park, then have FPs ready for the Fantasyland attractions later in the day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter