Toothsome Question - Need Milkshakes!

KeyLargoCards

Earning My Ears
Heading down to UO in a few days. We have a club level room @ Portofino, so not worrying about making any dining reservations, figuring we'll likely take advantage of everything possible at the lounge, and snack around the parks a bit.

That said, the milkshakes @ Toothsome look mighty intriguing to my 2 sons (13 & 15), and curious if you can just walk up and order them, of if you have to have a restaurant reservation?

Toothsome has a takeout counter on the ground floor where you can order milkshakes & sundaes without a dining reservation. I don't know if they still have a seating area so you may have to find somewhere else to sit & enjoy your milkshakes. The line can be long especially at park closing but you get to keep the milkshake mug. When you enter the building, head toward the left or let the hostess know you're looking for the takeout counter. The right hand side has lots of great merch including macarons, brownies, caramel apples etc. YUM! Enjoy!

Toothsome has a takeout counter on the ground floor where you can order milkshakes & sundaes without a dining reservation. I don't know if they still have a seating area so you may have to find somewhere else to sit & enjoy your milkshakes. The line can be long especially at park closing but you get to keep the milkshake mug. When you enter the building, head toward the left or let the hostess know you're looking for the takeout counter. The right hand side has lots of great merch including macarons, brownies, caramel apples etc. YUM! Enjoy!

That's great! Thank you for the detail!

DD loved the mug. It is the sort of plastic that will eventually slump from even the top level of the dishwasher. DD discovered that Ball (canning jar) screw-on lids work perfectly with the mug.

There were places to sit and eat in the takeout area when we were there in June. We got our shakes to go and walked back through citywalk to the hotel with them. The result was a melted mess of not very good ice cream, so I'd highly recommend eating AT the restaurant or nearby.

We had the same thing happen to us as we tried walking back to RPR with our milkshake. On top of that, the paper straw didn't survive until the end of the milkshake either. We learned our lesson on that and bought some reusable stainless steel straws for our next trip.

The patio on the left was also available for "counter service" seating when we were there last month (the alternate side patio was seating for the restaurant though)

The patio on the left was also available for "counter service" seating when we were there last month (the alternate side patio was seating for the restaurant though)
During our July trip, all the tables in the left side section had the reserved signs up. They were shooing away people who tried to sit down, indicating u had to order food too

:rolleyes1I get they are trying to increase revenue & tips but so Tacky imo, as those shakes certainly tend to add up For a family

there was still the very limited seating inside

During our July trip, all the tables in the left side section had the reserved signs up. They were shooing away people who tried to sit down, indicating u had to order food too

:rolleyes1I get they are trying to increase revenue & tips but so Tacky imo, as those shakes certainly tend to add up For a family

there was still the very limited seating inside
So, people had milkshakes and weren't being allowed to sit there?

Honestly I was surprised they had the area open since it was both shady and covered (making the visit a lot better for us!)

Fair warning, if you are going for the milkshake itself, just go to cowfish or a local joint like twistee treat. Overall, the quality of the shake is poor to average.

Fair warning, if you are going for the milkshake itself, just go to cowfish or a local joint like twistee treat. Overall, the quality of the shake is poor to average.
I’ve had better but, all part of the experience. Lately, I’ve been content to grab an extra spoon & take a few swipes of the Mister’s to get my fix

We are so excited for this, and should I assume the booking window is 180 days ? Was just able to get my reservation for Dec 23 -
Was supposed to go 8/29, but cancelled that trip.

Just an idea as well… we were there last week with a reservation for lunch. I kept dreaming of those milkshakes prior but surprisingly ordered a sundae instead. The waitress said the sundaes are almost the size of a dinner plate and she wasn’t kidding! They were bigger than the milkshakes and were actually slightly cheaper. Our family of four split one but couldn’t finish it all after our meals. It was sooooo good! Called ‘May Contain Nuts’: peanut butter ice cream, slice of chocolate peanut butter pie, peanut brittle, pb cups, pb sauce, Reese’s pieces etc.

Last edited:
I suggest trying to grab a rezzie if you can. Toothsome is pretty easy to get a rez same-day. You may need to do some refreshing but we were able to do this a few times without issues.

Just an idea as well… we were there last week with a reservation for lunch. I kept dreaming of those milkshakes prior but surprisingly ordered a sundae instead. The waitress said the sundaes are almost the size of a dinner plate and she wasn’t kidding! They were bigger than the milkshakes and were actually slightly cheaper. Family of four split one but couldn’t finish it all after our meals. It was sooooo good! Called ‘May Contain Nuts’: peanut butter ice cream, slice of chocolate peanut butter pie, peanut brittle, pb cups, pb sauce etc. Not sure why it’s posted sideways but here’s a pic:

The first time we went we got a sundae to share. Our thought was that it was basically a milkshake, but already spread out onto the plate for sharing. Second time we got dessert first.

We are so excited for this, and should I assume the booking window is 180 days ? Was just able to get my reservation for Dec 23 -
Was supposed to go 8/29, but cancelled that trip.

Universal doesn't do dining windows like Disney. Pre-lockdown, no one could make a reservation more than maybe a month in advance, and many places in City Walk didn't take them at all.

Then post-lockdown they started to take reservations because of the decreased capacity and almost everywhere took them.

At first, you could get reservations almost everywhere the day of. But, as more people started to realize that you could make reservations, and you might be left without anyplace to eat, more people started to make reservations. Which means more need for reservations, which means...

Eventually I predict people will start to make a great many reservations and horde them like they used to do at Disney. There isn't a penalty for no-shows.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter