Took my son to buy a bathing suit. Question for men on the board....

As far as I know, men's unlined swim trunks (board shorts) have been sold for decades now. I think they're mostly marketed for teens and young men.

DH doesn't like them. He insists on lined trunks. Not necessarily netting or mesh. There are those with a more fabric type liner.

Thanks to this thread I had to rummage through my husband's clothes to see what kind of swimwear he has, all three pairs are lined with netting, apparently he is either OK with the risk or oblivious to it. He only wears them when we are at more of a resort style pool, at the gym pool and at home, unless we have company over, he wears a jammer.

IMHO, netting is needed to keep the boys in place -- a few years back we were at a water park and a guy came down one of those fast pipeline slides and down at the end where the person stops in front of everyone, the minimal suit was on one side and his junk openly flopping in the waves on the other side. So don't be that guy, keep the boys in the net.

As far as I know, men's unlined swim trunks (board shorts) have been sold for decades now. I think they're mostly marketed for teens and young men.

DH doesn't like them. He insists on lined trunks. Not necessarily netting or mesh. There are those with a more fabric type liner.
:idea: That would TOTALLY explain why my DH has never seen them before!

I didn’t know netting was an issue either. The netting on ds’s suit has really tiny holes. I don’t think he would feel comfortable freeballing with no netting.

I'm not a man, but I had this same conversation with my son a few years ago. According to him, the netting gets sand in it and chafes and he prefers no net. I figure as long as the swim trunks are pretty long there's really no chance of being immodest.

Like someone else said, my husband will not be happy if he has to buy new trunks. He doesn't wear "fast-drying athletic fabric undies." So he would be out of luck, or at least have to buy more than just trunks.

A few years back a style/trend began where young fellas would wear boxers under the swim trunks and let the swim trunks sag so that the boxers were sticking out, kinda like they do/did with pants. My DS-21(now) cut his liner out way back when this started. Now I think he's back to the lined trunks.

I'm not a man, but I had this same conversation with my son a few years ago. According to him, the netting gets sand in it and chafes and he prefers no net.

My DS hates the netting as well. (And up until now, I kind of thought it was strange that wore underwear with swim shorts - but I guess it sounds like a lot of the young guys do.)

The majority of the time I'm at the pool or beach I'm either in jammers or a square leg swim suit to minimize drag so they are tight fitting and wouldn't have a liner. The few pairs of trunks I have are also liner-less and I don't wear anything underneath. I find wearing underwear under swim trunks odd personally. I'm not too worried about anyone seeing anything. I buy trunks that are tighter in the thigh and legs (Patagonia Wavefarer) and if someone does manage to see up them, well, that's on them.

I can't do the netting. It chafes me in an area that makes it very unpleasant, so I wear underwear with my swim trunks.

I have had to cut out netting when my son was younger. It bothered him. Lol

IMHO, netting is needed to keep the boys in place -- a few years back we were at a water park and a guy came down one of those fast pipeline slides and down at the end where the person stops in front of everyone, the minimal suit was on one side and his junk openly flopping in the waves on the other side. So don't be that guy, keep the boys in the net.

Ok... dying of laughter :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter