Too Old for College Program?

I'm 24 and married, but my husband and I both applied to do it together. I've already done it, but it was before I got married. Is it possible for your husband to apply too?

Unfortunately, that's not an option for us because he's not a student and has a professional full time job he can't leave. He supports my wanting to do this and is encouraging me to apply anyway, so that's why I'm looking for advice and hoping someone else has been in this situation!

There's a presentation tonight at my school, so hopefully I can get some feedback there as well.

I just wanted to chime in and say...."I am in awe of you "older" folks going for the CP and PI." I would love to do that myself! Maybe one day... My DS is about to graduate from HS and I have been pushing the CP idea since he was about 10. :lmao: I really hope he will follow through and give it a try, I think the experience would be amazing! We have raised our kids the right way...you know to be Disney crazy! :thumbsup2

Best wishes to you heaven2dc...I cannot wait to hear what happens. And best wishes to all of you that are applying.:goodvibes

TTFN
Darlene

Unfortunately, that's not an option for us because he's not a student and has a professional full time job he can't leave. He supports my wanting to do this and is encouraging me to apply anyway, so that's why I'm looking for advice and hoping someone else has been in this situation!

There's a presentation tonight at my school, so hopefully I can get some feedback there as well.

Thats a good idea, the presentations are good! Good luck!

I am "older" and will be doing the CP. I will 40 :eek: on March 24th. I will be arriving on June 11th for the 2012 Fall Advantage program. My family and I live in the Ocala, FL area. I was planning to drive each day, but my husband and I talked and decided I will get an apartment through Disney. I am so nervous and excited all at the same time.

My son is graduating high school in June and leaving for college in August. It is all just so strange and backwards, but so wonderful!! :rotfl:

Michelle

I just wanted to chime in and say...."I am in awe of you "older" folks going for the CP and PI." I would love to do that myself! Maybe one day... My DS is about to graduate from HS and I have been pushing the CP idea since he was about 10. :lmao: I really hope he will follow through and give it a try, I think the experience would be amazing! We have raised our kids the right way...you know to be Disney crazy! :thumbsup2

Best wishes to you heaven2dc...I cannot wait to hear what happens. And best wishes to all of you that are applying.:goodvibes

TTFN
Darlene

Thanks, Darlene! I hope your son decides to try to get into CP - it would be an awesome experience for him! And for you too - you should try either the CP or PI! I encourage anyone at any age :goodvibes I hope to hear soon as the waiting is stressful and exciting at the same time! I will keep everyone posted as soon as I hear good news ;)

Debbie

Just wanted to chime in here...I applied for both the CP and the PI back in 2008 for the 2009 Spring season. At the time, I was 44 and in grad school (for the sole purpose of QUALIFYING for the CP/PI ;) ) That was not a good season for management interns as they trimmed them back to pretty much nothing, so the CP was my "backup plan". It worked. I did the CP in the Spring, transitioned to a PI for the Fall season and was statused the day after my PI ended. In fact, today is my (not-counting-student-programs) 2nd anniversary with the Company.!

Graygables you did EXACTLY what I am hoping to do with my Disney CP!!! I just decided (and by just I mean yesterday) that I'll be applying for the Fall 2013 CP, specifically so that I can do a PI in Conservation education! I need the internship for school, and so Im REALLY hoping i get it, and readign your experience encouraged me alot! Thanks so much for sharing! Are there any other tips or anything you can offer for those of us looking to transition from CP to PI (and hopefully eventually a job)??

Thanks soooo much!!

(btw...I should mention the CP I will be applying for will be my very first CP)

I applied for CP to go this fall and was accepted but had some complications and had to turn it down. I'm hoping to get in for Spring 2014 now and I would be 35 going in and turn 36 while I'm there. My friends all laugh at me and tell me I'd end up being the "den mother" but I don't mind :). The younger crowd can help me remember how to have fun and the older crowd can remind me not to have too much!! When I interviewed I asked questions about the "non-traditional" students applying. It's great to see that there are quite a few. Age, after all, is just a number!

To put it plainly, CP you get minimum wage of $7.31/hr (edit: FL minimum wage goes up to 7.67 next year) to work in the parks (almost every position is on stage, entertainment is strictly banned from earning overtime) and you might do some effective networking. PI is very competitive but you get paid a lot more to do jobs that require you to be pursuing or have just completed a degree (the one I'll be starting in January pays $18.65/hr and I'll be working at the Team Disney building doing programming in the Management Science and Integration department) and you'll have a LOT more connections to have a good chance to get a permanent job there.

You're going to want a Professional Internship. Check disneyinterns.com, I forget if the next round are posted in January or February

I just want to update some of this, because not all of it is current anymore. Not every role in a CP is minimum wage anymore, they really vary. And entertainment is totally allowed to get overtime, and I know a few people who were often scheduled for double time. And since some of the PI's require a CP, it might help to have one under your belt.

Ok this isn't quite the same topic but I'm wondering how many people there are between 21-25? I've done two programs and most of the people I worked with were 18-21. I want to do another one but I'll be 23 and I'm just wondering. Of course I know my roommates will be at least 21 but it seemed like I only met some people over 21. maybe because I wasn't that old myself but I dunno haha.

One of my best friends during my program was 25 and turned 26 while we were there. We never looked at him as an old fogey! We ranged from 18-26 with him in our group, and you really could never tell just from looking at us. 23 is nothing!

To the OP, we had a 60+ guy who lived in Chatham with us. Honestly, that guy was a little creepy, he obviously only did the program because of the younger girls. :crazy2: But I do know of a few women who ranged from 40-60 that worked with my friends, and they loved it! Most of them lived in their own housing, and not CP, and my friends loved working with them. They were mature and easy to work with, basically perfect coworkers!

S go for it!

You have to be enrolled in college when you apply, so how about enrolling in your local community college for a class, then making your application? Also, there are some PI programs that you have to have completed a CP to qualify for, but not all of them.

Good luck, and give the community college thing a try!

KC:hippie:

I did the college program back in 2000 and LOVED it. I have since graduated with my BS and have worked as a manager at American Girl Place and now moved into a corporate job working with overseas vendors. I have always dreamed of going back and doing CP again- just the laid back feel, meeting so many new people and also making connections with the disney company as i want to work for them in the future again. So my question is...would i really only have to sign up for ONE community college class that might only last couple of months, or would it have to be a full course load for a full semester??

I did the college program back in 2000 and LOVED it. I have since graduated with my BS and have worked as a manager at American Girl Place and now moved into a corporate job working with overseas vendors. I have always dreamed of going back and doing CP again- just the laid back feel, meeting so many new people and also making connections with the disney company as i want to work for them in the future again. So my question is...would i really only have to sign up for ONE community college class that might only last couple of months, or would it have to be a full course load for a full semester??

My DS was enrolled in only one class at a community college and that was even online! He had been enrolled in another college several semesters earlier, but he was just in the one class when he applied and was accepted to the DCP. This was fall, 2011 so somewhat recently but I suppose it could have changed since then. Good luck!!!:thumbsup2

My DS was enrolled in only one class at a community college and that was even online! He had been enrolled in another college several semesters earlier, but he was just in the one class when he applied and was accepted to the DCP. This was fall, 2011 so somewhat recently but I suppose it could have changed since then. Good luck!!!:thumbsup2

you just have to be taking a class at a qualifying college (ive yet to come across a college that didnt qualify.) i had a friend who took a class just long enough to get into the wdwcp and then dropped it so that he could do the program.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter