Too Old for College Program?

My oldest son was in the Spring 2010 program. I never dreamed I'd be in college myself! My husband & I lost our family business in 2011... so now we need to re-invent ourselves!

I started taking classes this past Fall. It was my son's encouragement that led me apply for the Disney college program! Guess what... I'm packing my bags! Yep, I'll be in WDW for Spring 2012! Looking forward to working & learning as much as possible while I'm there!

I would be interested in getting to know other "non traditional" CPs out there! It'll be great spending the rest of the winter in WDW! :yay:
Let me hear from ya!
Lynette
Arriving: Jan 23

Good for you.

In my program I saw some very old CP's, so if they can do it, why cant you! Do it, or you'll forever regret it

I am definitely not giving up hope!

graygables - I think that's awesome that you went back to college and got into the College Program! I applied to another internship last Friday (and also another job) and today the Dashboard shows "in progress" for them both so hopefully soon I'll receive an email or something.

As a bit of new news - my DS29 called me tonight saying he was flying me down to California (he lives in Culver City) - I leave next Tuesday and fly back Saturday. He thought it would give me a chance to visit the area and he had hoped I'd have the opportunity to interview for Disney while I'm there. His girlfriend works for Sony Pictures and she is giving them my resume tomorrow so maybe I'll get to interview for an Admin Assistant position they have advertised (she also applied for 3 internships there for me) so even though my dream is to work for Disney, I'll take any job down there to get started. Who knows - maybe I'll get in for the Fall internship at Disney!! I'm applying as soon as applications open up. :surfweb: (When do Summer and/or Fall internships open up?)

I applied for the College Program last night, passed my web interview tonight and have my phone interview on Monday night @ 7:45 p.m. :banana:

As I have said on my first post, I am much much older than all of you but I decided to pursue my dream of going back to college, earned my Associate's degree and am now working towards my Bachelor's degree in Business Management. I feel sort of silly for doing this but I believe that no matter how old you are, it is never too late to pursue your dreams. I've been a widow for 17 years and raised 5 kids so now is my chance to shine :goodvibes

P.S. I applied for the Disneyland College Program. has anyone done this and stayed in their housing? If so do you think they would put me in a studio since I'm much older than everyone else if I get selected?

Ok this isn't quite the same topic but I'm wondering how many people there are between 21-25? I've done two programs and most of the people I worked with were 18-21. I want to do another one but I'll be 23 and I'm just wondering. Of course I know my roommates will be at least 21 but it seemed like I only met some people over 21. maybe because I wasn't that old myself but I dunno haha.

Wow, you guys going back to school post 50 have me in awe!!!! Good luck to you all!!! :cool1::cool1::cool1:

Ok this isn't quite the same topic but I'm wondering how many people there are between 21-25? I've done two programs and most of the people I worked with were 18-21. I want to do another one but I'll be 23 and I'm just wondering. Of course I know my roommates will be at least 21 but it seemed like I only met some people over 21. maybe because I wasn't that old myself but I dunno haha.

I don't plan on applying for the CP until next fall, and I'll be 25 then. I already feel like an elder at my college, so I think I'll be used to the age difference by then :lmao:

OP-- good luck with the rest of the interview process! I admire that you are following your dream and wish you all the best. :goodvibes

Just out of curiosity-- can a 22-year old recent college graduate apply to either the Disney college program or a professional internship? I was under the impression that one could not apply for a professional internship unless one had already completed the college program, but maybe I am wrong. :confused3 I also thought that one could not participate in the college program if not currently enrolled in school, so figured that I did not stand a chance with either.

I graduated from a top-20 university with an undergraduate business degree this past May. It has always been my dream to have a corporate job with Disney, but I am now finding that it is difficult to qualify for any corporate position (particularly in the theme parks division) without being a college program alum. Am I missing something? Or is it just too late for me?

I don't plan on applying for the CP until next fall, and I'll be 25 then. I already feel like an elder at my college, so I think I'll be used to the age difference by then :lmao:

I'm doing my second CP and i'm 27. I did my first at 25. You'll feel a bit older, but you'll soon see that there are a lot of older CPs.

OP-- good luck with the rest of the interview process! I admire that you are following your dream and wish you all the best. :goodvibes

Just out of curiosity-- can a 22-year old recent college graduate apply to either the Disney college program or a professional internship? I was under the impression that one could not apply for a professional internship unless one had already completed the college program, but maybe I am wrong. :confused3 I also thought that one could not participate in the college program if not currently enrolled in school, so figured that I did not stand a chance with either.

I graduated from a top-20 university with an undergraduate business degree this past May. It has always been my dream to have a corporate job with Disney, but I am now finding that it is difficult to qualify for any corporate position (particularly in the theme parks division) without being a college program alum. Am I missing something? Or is it just too late for me?

You have to be enrolled in college when you apply, so how about enrolling in your local community college for a class, then making your application? Also, there are some PI programs that you have to have completed a CP to qualify for, but not all of them.

Good luck, and give the community college thing a try!

KC:hippie:

I have read a good amount of your posts, and you really have great enthusiasm. There really is no such thing as being 'too old' and think you would be well suited since you have experiences and tons of wisdom!

One of my Favourite Walt Disney quotes, "...Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."

Best of luck and keep us updated!

Have a Magical Day! :smickey:

I have read a good amount of your posts, and you really have great enthusiasm. There really is no such thing as being 'too old' and think you would be well suited since you have experiences and tons of wisdom!

One of my Favourite Walt Disney quotes, "...Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."

Best of luck and keep us updated!

Have a Magical Day! :smickey:

Thank you SO much! You brought a smile to my otherwise not-so-good day at work (I'm in training for a new job and was so confused all day lol) I think my desire to get into this College Program is because it was also my late husband's wish for me to work for Disney (he died of a heart attack in a hotel room in Kissimmee in 1994 before he got to visit WDW - I was left alone 3000 miles from home with 5 kids ages 1-16 and decided at that time that I would be an inspiration to my kids). It seems my kids have always kept me young and I get along with "kids" of all ages :)

As everyone else has said, you are not too old.

My girlfriend had a lady in her late 50s in their room

You have to be enrolled in college when you apply, so how about enrolling in your local community college for a class, then making your application? Also, there are some PI programs that you have to have completed a CP to qualify for, but not all of them.

Good luck, and give the community college thing a try!

KC:hippie:

Thank you so much for the info! I appreciate it. :)

I also graduated from college last May (2011) but want to do the Disney College Program. I was looking into taking an online class at my local community college so that I would be eligible as a Part Time Student. Does the online class that I want to take have to count towards getting college credit or can I take a continuing education course which doesn't count towards a credit and still be considered a part time student?

I was 29 when I did both my programs (turned 30 my last day!) and though I was older than my roommates, they did put me with people who had either finished their degrees or were close - in the range of 23 years old. I didn't feel like the old lame one, and I don't think they saw me that way either!

Also, heard tell of a boat captain who had done several CPs, was in his 60s, and actually did live in CP housing! So it's possible...if not comfortable! I think it's great for non-traditionals - I appreciated it so much as my reward to myself for making it through my masters, and I took a whole different skill set to it. Much better than if I'd done it when I originally wanted to as an undergrad.

I was 29 when I did both my programs (turned 30 my last day!) and though I was older than my roommates, they did put me with people who had either finished their degrees or were close - in the range of 23 years old. I didn't feel like the old lame one, and I don't think they saw me that way either!

Also, heard tell of a boat captain who had done several CPs, was in his 60s, and actually did live in CP housing! So it's possible...if not comfortable! I think it's great for non-traditionals - I appreciated it so much as my reward to myself for making it through my masters, and I took a whole different skill set to it. Much better than if I'd done it when I originally wanted to as an undergrad.

Congrats on completing your masters! and doing the college program :thumbsup2 I have received such encouraging comments and if I am accepted, and decide to live in the housing, I will make the most of it and will be anxious to make new friends of any age! It's been 2 weeks since my interview and am patiently awaiting my acceptance letter. :surfweb:

Were any of you married when you did your program? I am 25 and a married grad student, but I really want to do the program. My husband is very supportive, but I am worried about the separation and the distance.

Were any of you married when you did your program? I am 25 and a married grad student, but I really want to do the program. My husband is very supportive, but I am worried about the separation and the distance.

I'm 24 and married, but my husband and I both applied to do it together. I've already done it, but it was before I got married. Is it possible for your husband to apply too?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter