Too Old for College Program?

heaven2dc

DIS Veteran
I applied for three different internships through the College Program and just hope Disney doesn't think I'm too old! I just earned my Associate's Degree and am working towards my Bachelor's degree in Business Management and am currently unemployed since moving back to the West Coast.

I won't give my age ;) but I'm over 50 - before everyone laughs at me, am I too old to be considered? I love love love Disney and it would be my dream to work for them. I thought this would be my chance to get a foot in the door and learn a lot. I have applied at various Admin Assistant/Secretarial jobs in the past couple of weeks but no responses so thought why not try the College Program. :hippie:

I applied for three different internships through the College Program and just hope Disney doesn't think I'm too old! I just earned my Associate's Degree and am working towards my Bachelor's degree in Business Management and am currently unemployed since moving back to the West Coast.

I won't give my age ;) but I'm over 50 - before everyone laughs at me, am I too old to be considered? I love love love Disney and it would be my dream to work for them. I thought this would be my chance to get a foot in the door and learn a lot. I have applied at various Admin Assistant/Secretarial jobs in the past couple of weeks but no responses so thought why not try the College Program. :hippie:

No, you are not too old, it is a good way to get your foot in the door. If you want to stay there you can go part time, then full time after your program. If you want to do something else, then you can still have Disney on your resume. That will look good to employers.

There's no age cap but if you end up in CP housing you're sure to weird out a few people :p

No age limit? Hmmm, you've got the gears turning in my brain! I don't know if I could afford the pay cut, though.

How long is the shortest CP or internship available?

The College Program is the length of a traditional semester at school. So Jan-May, or Aug-Jan. There are also Advantage programs, which encompass the summer as well. Those are Feb-Aug, or May-Jan.

Internships vary in length. If you choose to go the Professional Internship route (which works through the same CP office), most are semester lengths as well. Jan-Jun and Jun-Dec.

Several departments offer independent internships as well, which can be as short as 6 weeks to a year. These do not follow the traditional PI/CP application periods and can pop up at any time on the careers site.

Good luck!

Like Berlioz said, the CP is 4+ months long, but if you can't get approved to not live in CP Apartments they're going to take at least $80 out of your weekly paycheck for sometimes as little as 30 hours.

If you're enrolled in college look into PI's as well, they pay is much better and there's no forced living arrangements. Depending on what internship you get, pay can be ~2.5 times that of the CP.

Thanks everyone! I wouldn't live in the CP apartments or housing or at least don't think I would (wouldn't want to weird anyone out!). When I was living in Virginia, I was making $18/hour. I moved to Oregon a couple of months ago to be near my elderly aunt and live in my cousin's house for free until I got on my feet. The jobs here pay around $11-12/hour but rent here is much cheaper than Virginia.

The reason I applied to the College Program was to get my foot in the door at Disney and learn as much about the business side of Disney as I could. I have no clue what the pay is in California as that's where I applied for the CP. What is the difference between PI and CP? I am in my junior year of college working towards my Bachelor's degree. Should I apply to PI instead or am I not eligible? Thanks!

CP is College Program, PI is Professional Internship. If you're looking to understand the business of it, PI would probably be a better choice, I think it may be a bit more competitive however. College program is just a full time job working as a cast member at the resort at entry level positions like attractions, outdoor food and beverage, lifeguarding, etc. There are classes available that teach about Disney, but the professional internship is more oriented toward the business aspects....they have offerings like finance, for example, where you'd probably be in an office setting. Someone who knows a bit more about PI can comment, but that's the gist of it.

To put it plainly, CP you get minimum wage of $7.31/hr (edit: FL minimum wage goes up to 7.67 next year) to work in the parks (almost every position is on stage, entertainment is strictly banned from earning overtime) and you might do some effective networking. PI is very competitive but you get paid a lot more to do jobs that require you to be pursuing or have just completed a degree (the one I'll be starting in January pays $18.65/hr and I'll be working at the Team Disney building doing programming in the Management Science and Integration department) and you'll have a LOT more connections to have a good chance to get a permanent job there.

You're going to want a Professional Internship. Check disneyinterns.com, I forget if the next round are posted in January or February

Looks like PI is more what I am looking for - thanks for your input! I applied to three undergraduate internship positions this morning. When I looked at my Dashboard earlier this morning, it listed the positions I have applied for. How long does it take before someone contacts you for a phone interview? Will I receive an email first? I know I have a million questions but didn't know what the process is and how long it takes.

Orangekid13 - congrats on starting in January! You must be very excited :cheer2:

I applied for the Undergraduate Intern, ABC Entertainment Group, Development, Spring 2012 and under status it says "in progress'. Is this a good thing? I certainly hope so!

The dashboard process can be quite nerve wracking. Try not to obsess about it. They will contact you via email to set up an interview if they think you are qualified. I interviewed 4 times (one phone and 3 IRL) before I was NLIC for the 4 internships I picked. BUT two weeks ago I got an email from another area asking if I was still interested in a PI (OF COURSE!) and finally got accepted. I'm thrilled to say the least. BTW I''m "older" as well; not over 50 but not too far from it ;)

The dashboard process can be quite nerve wracking. Try not to obsess about it. They will contact you via email to set up an interview if they think you are qualified. I interviewed 4 times (one phone and 3 IRL) before I was NLIC for the 4 internships I picked. BUT two weeks ago I got an email from another area asking if I was still interested in a PI (OF COURSE!) and finally got accepted. I'm thrilled to say the least. BTW I''m "older" as well; not over 50 but not too far from it ;)

Congratulations on your internship! I'm so excited for you - at least you give me hope! I have 5 internships now that show "in progress" but no emails yet (I started applying December 4th). Plus I have one job that I applied to that shows in progress as well. I will be patient.....:surfweb:

There was a man who was in his late 60s/early 70s in my CP. Don't worry. Disney is for everyone :)

Thanks! That tells me that Disney does at least consider us older folks ;)

There was a man who was in his late 60s/early 70s in my CP. Don't worry. Disney is for everyone :)

i worked with a guy in EPCOT last fall who was a CP in his late 60's Working with him was great, he had a whole different set of experiences to bring to the table than the rest of the CP's but i do have to say it would be very odd to have to room with him.

My oldest son was in the Spring 2010 program. I never dreamed I'd be in college myself! My husband & I lost our family business in 2011... so now we need to re-invent ourselves!

I started taking classes this past Fall. It was my son's encouragement that led me apply for the Disney college program! Guess what... I'm packing my bags! Yep, I'll be in WDW for Spring 2012! Looking forward to working & learning as much as possible while I'm there!

I would be interested in getting to know other "non traditional" CPs out there! It'll be great spending the rest of the winter in WDW! :yay:
Let me hear from ya!
Lynette
Arriving: Jan 23

My oldest son was in the Spring 2010 program. I never dreamed I'd be in college myself! My husband & I lost our family business in 2011... so now we need to re-invent ourselves!

I started taking classes this past Fall. It was my son's encouragement that led me apply for the Disney college program! Guess what... I'm packing my bags! Yep, I'll be in WDW for Spring 2012! Looking forward to working & learning as much as possible while I'm there!

I would be interested in getting to know other "non traditional" CPs out there! It'll be great spending the rest of the winter in WDW! :yay:
Let me hear from ya!
Lynette
Arriving: Jan 23

I am so excited for you and jealous! I still haven't heard anything on my undergraduate internship applications (I have 5 now that show "in progress" but no emails offering an interview). I think my internship applications are different in that they are for California instead of Florida.

Would you mind if I pm'd you to ask a few questions? I understand if you don't as I imagine you will be extremely busy getting ready to leave for Florida. Good luck and enjoy your experience!! and congrats on going back to college - it is SO worth it!!

Just wanted to chime in here...I applied for both the CP and the PI back in 2008 for the 2009 Spring season. At the time, I was 44 and in grad school (for the sole purpose of QUALIFYING for the CP/PI ;) ) That was not a good season for management interns as they trimmed them back to pretty much nothing, so the CP was my "backup plan". It worked. I did the CP in the Spring, transitioned to a PI for the Fall season and was statused the day after my PI ended. In fact, today is my (not-counting-student-programs) 2nd anniversary with the Company.

By all means, apply for the PI, but if your heart is set on it and you can make ends meet, do the CP as a backup and use the time to network, network, network!

So you can be any age to do CP as long as your in college?

Yep!!! I have two boys with college degrees.... :teacher: Now I'm sittin in a classroom:rotfl: well ..... not this sememster.....

I'm goin to Disney World!

Can't wait to get down to that HUGE classroom in WDW !! :goodvibes

Have you thought about doing it? :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter