Toddler Ear Pain on Airplane

OhStuffandFluff

DIS Veteran
Does anyone have any experience or suggestions on how to help a 2 yr old with ear pain during flights? This will be our 2 yr old's first time on a plane. I am concerned she may struggle with flying after the experience we had visiting the wind cave in the Black Hills this summer. She cried and cried the whole time we were in the cave, but as soon as we ascended out of the cave, she was fine. We later determined that the pressure from the cave was hurting her ears. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!! Thank you!

A little young for gum, but lollipop suckers would probably work well. Chewing and swallowing and yawning help offset the pressure, so anything that causes her mouth to open, close, suck and/or chew would be helpful. I've also done M&Ms for the kids who couldn't handle lollipops...it will be most important at takeoff and then 30 minutes to landing (when you start the drop - don't wait for them to tell you to put the seat belt on - you'll have been dropping 15-20 minutes already)...

Our DS was 2 when we just went. We did bottles for takeoff and landing. Also we all wore earplanes. They make a children's version. We all wore them so that DS felt like it was just a thing you do on planes.

Our DS was 2 when we just went. We did bottles for takeoff and landing. Also we all wore earplanes. They make a children's version. We all wore them so that DS felt like it was just a thing you do on planes.

That's awesome the bottle worked for you, but I'm not necessarily sure I would encourage giving a bottle to a kid who probably hasn't had one in a year or more. My son is 16 months and if I took him on an airplane, I would take one of his straw cups. Those encourage frequent swallowing. There are lots of different kinds and if OP doesn't already have one, they only cost a few bucks.

I plan on bringing her favorite straw cups to help so she can suck on that. I've also read about the Earplanes ear plugs. Did your DS complain about having them put in his ears?

As a failsafe if all preventative measures doesn't work, ask your pediatrician to give you a scrip for Auralgan analgesic ear drops or the generic form of them. Be prepared for a refusal, because the drops can mask such conditions as ear infections and/or burst eardrums, but they are invaluable in a pressure-pain situation. What I did was essentially sign in blood that I would not give more than one contiguous dose to my child, so that if there was an underlying problem causing the pain, it would become apparent after the initial dose wore off.

One of the few other things that normally helps once pain starts is the steam cup trick. If you need to resort to this, you must ask for these before the FAs strap in for landing. What you do is ask the FA for two coffee cups stuffed with paper napkins, with a bit of boiling water poured into them; they are familiar with these kinds of requests. What you will do with the cups is hold them firmly over the child's ears like earmuffs, because the steam contained in the cups will help to equalize the pressure in the child's ears. IT IS ESSENTIAL THAT BEFORE PUTTING THE CUPS OVER THE CHILD'S EARS, YOU NEED TO HOLD THE CUPS UPSIDE-DOWN FOR A FEW MOMENTS TO MAKE SURE THAT NO EXCESS HOT WATER WILL DRIP OUT TO SCALD THE CHILD.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any experience or suggestions on how to help a 2 yr old with ear pain during flights? This will be our 2 yr old's first time on a plane. I am concerned she may struggle with flying after the experience we had visiting the wind cave in the Black Hills this summer. She cried and cried the whole time we were in the cave, but as soon as we ascended out of the cave, she was fine. We later determined that the pressure from the cave was hurting her ears. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!! Thank you!
Many years ago when we flew with our then 2 & 4 year olds, we had success with using ear planes and also having them suck on tootsie pops. We still use tootsie pops - even I do - when we travel by plane and I've found chewing on starburst candies or something similar helps a lot too.

Earplanes work great! I usually have to have the pharmacist order them. Also drinking or chewing something during takeoff/landing helps.

Give them a lollipop (or gum, if you think they can chew it without swallowing it). Or have them drink from a sippy cup. The sucking and swallowing will help alleviate the pressure.

I plan on bringing her favorite straw cups to help so she can suck on that. I've also read about the Earplanes ear plugs. Did your DS complain about having them put in his ears?

He wasn't pleased. That's why we all got them. We tried to make it like a thing you just do when you fly. It made it a little better. We were able to pick up the children's sized ones in the airport, too.

As a failsafe if all preventative measures doesn't work, ask your pediatrician to give you a scrip for Auralgan analgesic ear drops or the generic form of them. Be prepared for a refusal, because the drops can mask such conditions as ear infections and/or burst eardrums, but they are invaluable in a pressure-pain situation. What I did was essentially sign in blood that I would not give more than one contiguous dose to my child, so that if there was an underlying problem causing the pain, it would become apparent after the initial dose wore off.

One of the few other things that normally helps once pain starts is the steam cup trick. If you need to resort to this, you must ask for these before the FAs strap in for landing. What you do is ask the FA for two coffee cups stuffed with paper napkins, with a bit of boiling water poured into them; they are familiar with these kinds of requests. What you will do with the cups is hold them firmly over the child's ears like earmuffs, because the steam contained in the cups will help to equalize the pressure in the child's ears. IT IS ESSENTIAL THAT BEFORE PUTTING THE CUPS OVER THE CHILD'S EARS, YOU NEED TO HOLD THE CUPS UPSIDE-DOWN FOR A FEW MOMENTS TO MAKE SURE THAT NO EXCESS HOT WATER WILL DRIP OUT TO SCALD THE CHILD.

I have a FA friend who told me this and I totally thought she was just making that up! Crazy! (Although I don't remember her saying that the water needed to be steaming. I thought she just said wet paper napkins in the cup)

My kids wear the ear planes also. I order the child size online. The airport usually has them, but they are more money. Plus my youngest asks for them as soon as we start packing their plane bags. She likes to make sure we have them!

Yep like others have said. Anything to suck on, swallow, or chew during take-off and landing. When our twins were 2.5 years old they were capable of gum without swallowing it in the end, so thats what we'd use but if your little isn't ready for gum yet, try a favorite snack (gummies, lollies, or raisins) anything where she'd continuously use it for awhile and it would cause saliva to force a swallow. [hope that makes sense]

thanks for these tips. I never heard of ear planes for kids. I am taking my niece to WDW and am going to definitely have these on hand.

Give them a decongestant medicine before take-off. It was recommended by my pediatrician long ago. I also take it and haven't had problems with my ears since. It helps alot!

I have horrendous ear pain on most flights and used to use the Ear Planes, but stopped when realizing they really weren't helping. My son used them once and he didn't feel they helped either. You can give them a try but I'm not sure a 2 year old would leave them alone. We usually give them something to sip and or chew on for take off and landing. For myself I also use a nasal spray decongestant and take advil. If her ears are bad I might consider a dose of tylenol just before the flight.

Give them a decongestant medicine before take-off. It was recommended by my pediatrician long ago. I also take it and haven't had problems with my ears since. It helps alot!

Current recommendations for decongestants and cold meds aren't until at least age 4 (due to multiple fatalities). I think we were told more like 6 or 7 (my ped stills says no for our 5 year olds). OP if you want to go this way make sure you clear it with your pediatrician.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter