Today's Thrift Shop Finds

disneysteve

DIS meet junkie
DW, DD and I went to Goodwill and a large local thrift shop today. Here's what we got:

DD: 2 pairs of shorts, 2 pairs of jeans, 1 casual dress shirt, 1 hat (Roots Team USA)

DW: 1 pair of jeans, 1 blouse, 1 skirt

Me: 3 pairs of shorts

General: One glass Hanukkah candy dish

Most clothing items were name brand/designer labels.

Grand total: $41.90 for 13 items. Why do we ever go to the mall? ;)

Why do we ever go to the mall?

disneysteve I'll be interested to see if you can keep your DD away from the mall in a few years. For years, I bought DD12 the cheapy shoes & clothes, knowing that one day she would want the more expensive items. She still doesn't get a ton spent on clothes, but once she got into Jr. High, the wants increased dramatically. Luckily, she still enjoys & receives hand-me-downs.

Maybe you'll be lucky & never run into the issue. My SIL was never into clothes and still shops at thrift shops.

I love the thrift shops too!! It's a great place to find shoes for our family. I love to look through the books especially for the kids, you can't beat 39 cents!! Our thrift stores often have 50% off sales and discount punch cards for an additional discount. For us, garage sale season is approaching...yippee!! Thanks for posting.

I went to the Salvation Army Thrift Store a few weeks ago, and bought more than I donated. I found two old school desk, kind of beat up (not antique) for $7 a piece. They are great for homework.

TNKBELL said:
For us, garage sale season is approaching...yippee!!
Same here. Actually, we stopped at one yard sale this morning also but didn't get anything there.
TallyLassie said:
I went to the Salvation Army Thrift Store a few weeks ago, and bought more than I donated.
We did bring a bag full of clothes to donate to Goodwill today, also.

I went to the Goodwill outlet center today to look for inventory for ebay. I did fantastic, all for $8.50 I got:

Lilly Pulitzer purse (got decide if I want it for me)
Vera Bradley duffle bag
St John dress (sells VERY well on ebay)
Pooh & friends shirt for me!!!
Smocked Vive La Fete bishop dress
Laundry pants
Ralph Lauren hawaiian shirt
Nothing Matches drawstring pants (might keep for me)
Quacker Factory short sleeved sweater
Storybook Knits tank sweater
a few other things that I can't remember.....

I only made it through half the store and the manager came over to say they were closing the store for a half hour (didn't say why) so I paid for the stuff I had but couldn't come back or wait because I had alot of other things to do.

Our Goodwill stinks. Their prices are really high for everything. Someone could spend a buck more and get something brand new from Walmart. We do have one thrift store in town that I find a lot of toys/books at. DS loves the FP castle/playset stuff and I'm always finding those there for .99 to 1.99.

TallyLassie said:
I went to the Salvation Army Thrift Store a few weeks ago, and bought more than I donated. I found two old school desk, kind of beat up (not antique) for $7 a piece. They are great for homework.

I bought DD13 an old school desk when she was 5. I found it at a yard sale for a few bucks. One of the legs had broken and was shorter than the others. I took the desk home and my dad sawed off the other 3 legs to match the length! I paid $1 for a can of pink spray paint. She passed it on to the twins a few weeks ago because I found her a bigger one at Goodwill for $10. I paid $1 for a can of spray paint and now it is red and matches her room! The twins aren't big enough for the old one yet so I put it down in the basement.

This thread has aggravated my thrift store itch. I didn't go this morning because I was able to fight the urge. One of the twins has been standing on a toy looking out the window so she is telling me she wants to go! :car:

imsayin said:
disneysteve I'll be interested to see if you can keep your DD away from the mall in a few years.
Time will tell. Actually, when she was younger, DW would buy stuff for her at the thrift shop and just bring it home. Then we went through a phase where she didn't want stuff that DW picked out but also didn't want to comb through the racks at the thrift shops herself. In the past year, she's gotten to the point where she really appreciates the advantages of going to the thrift shop - great selection, great prices, jeans already broken in, etc. Now she actually asks to go there. Hopefully, that will last. I think the label recognition is important. She loves going to Limited Too but knows it is generally too expensive and we rarely buy anthing there unless its on clearance. But today she got a nice pair of Limited Too shorts for $1.50. And a pair of Jordache jeans for $3.99. And a Roots Team USA Olympic beret hat for $2.00. She understands that she never would have gotten any of those things for regular price.

Somehow I have a feeling that she will be taking her friends to the thrift shops in a few years. One can only hope :)

Ok, it is 3:15 here, I just got the ich to go shopping at the thrift store from this thread! :cool1:

I wonder if I have time to go before I have to be at my inflaws at 6:30!

I just got back about an hour ago! I bought:
Old Navy pants
Old Navy capris(w/tags)
Venezia pants(w/tags)
Gap khakis
Gap blue pants
Talbots khakis
two pair Crossroads pants
Liz Claiborne dress(w/tags)

All for me and only $23! :cool1:

I love thrift shopping! A lot of my clothes, and some of hubby's, come from thrift shops and rummage sales. It's sometimes hard to find our sizes, though. My mom's church has a huge yard sale on Friday that I can't wait to go to! I grew up with second hand everything (I'm the youngest of 8 kids) and I hate to pay full price for anything! I convinced DH several years ago that "thrifty is sexy." :) I'm also big on clearance sales. Most of my work clothes were bought off season for a bargain price. This year is the first time ever that I bought a "brand name" coat new-I got a beautiful LL Bean ski parka on clearance for $40-Originally $100. Who cares if it's last season's coat?? I'm always glad to hear of thrift shop finds! I'm keeping my eyes open for Disney paraphenalia for our upcoming trip...

Well, I guess there's hope for us. My DD (high school senior) loves going thrift store shopping! She never fails to come home with some great finds, and her friends are all jealous of what she gets for a little bit of nothing. They're always asking her to take them thrift store shopping, but I'm not sure they'd really go. It's a status symbol around here of paying retail, and I have no desire to even attempt to keep up with that. As my DH always says..."Never have more money than you have sense!". Amen!

I hope my thrift store shopping ways have rubbed off enough on my DD so that when she's on her own she'll be able to keep doing the same thing and dressing well, all for a fraction of the price. I hope I've raised her to appreciate the value of a dollar!

fiveforall said:
I just got back about an hour ago! I bought:
Old Navy capris(w/tags)
Venezia pants(w/tags)
Liz Claiborne dress(w/tags)
I forgot to mention that the Roots hat and the dress shirt DD got had the tags. The shirt was marked $29.99! The hat had the price removed but I'm sure those sold for at least $15. So just those 2 items new would have been more than we spent for everything we got.

My almost 15yo and 11yo love going to the mall only to eat and maybe get something at Claire's. We find a lot of Gap, Old Navy, Rue, Forever 21, and stuff like that at our thrift stores, but then again you need to know where to look. They help me look for items to resell, too.

They know they will get more for their money if they go to thrift stores. :)

anewvance said:
I went to the Goodwill outlet center today to look for inventory for ebay. I did fantastic, all for $8.50 I got:

Lilly Pulitzer purse (got decide if I want it for me)
Vera Bradley duffle bag
St John dress (sells VERY well on ebay)
Pooh & friends shirt for me!!!
Smocked Vive La Fete bishop dress
Laundry pants
Ralph Lauren hawaiian shirt
Nothing Matches drawstring pants (might keep for me)
Quacker Factory short sleeved sweater
Storybook Knits tank sweater
a few other things that I can't remember.....

I only made it through half the store and the manager came over to say they were closing the store for a half hour (didn't say why) so I paid for the stuff I had but couldn't come back or wait because I had alot of other things to do.

I'm curious, Melissa...is this how you build up your inventory? For me I am branching off into selling for others locally.

No wonder you're doing well ebaying! :wizard:

I got a few pairs of jeans for DD3 for 4. each, a few Claire's lipglosses (to throw in the Easter baskets) for 1. each, a Nemo flannel sheet set for 5., Pooh bath towel 5., two travel kits (with travel size toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner, hairspray, toothbrush, eyemask, all in a plastic zippered case) for 2. each, and 4 large packs of Equal gum for .25 each. All of this was new.
I then went to the $1 store, and found Lipton diet iced tea (like Crystal light), a few packages of Pillsbury muffin mix, 3 pk of aluminum muffin tins, and 40 ft of foil. I love my local flea market, but its unfortunately in a not so good part of town.

Yup, this is part of how I build up inventory. Other ways are my kids used clothes, stuff I actually buy at Gymboree and such. And other ways is buying my kids clothes off of ebay and then using them until they grow out and reselling. Lots of ways to build up inventory. This is definately the best day i'd had at the Goodwill outlet in a long time.

grlpwrd, your user name is so familiar... do I know you from somewhere else?

grlpwrd said:
I'm curious, Melissa...is this how you build up your inventory? For me I am branching off into selling for others locally.

No wonder you're doing well ebaying! :wizard:

I came home empty handed from GW. My best finds last week were a Fisher Price Little Mommy Doll for $1 (I washed her outfit and she was like new), a Leap Frog Phonics Bus ($1), a Fisher Price Little People school bus (50 cents), and 4 Nintendo 64 game cartridges ($2 each).

My DS17 has been shopping thrift stores himself since he got his driver's license. There is one near school, it is very "in" to shop there. He likes 60's music, so it follows that he would like vintage clothing (not Abercrombie, GAP, Old Navy, I am talking true vintage stuff.)

I only wish DD15 would catch this bug. The girls at the HS she has gone the past two years spend way too much on their wardrobes. She is switching schools next year (her choice), and I am glad. It has not been a healthy influence IMHO. The emphasis on wearing certain labels is a little ridiculous.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter