Today's Thrift Shop Finds

Julia M said:
I'm envious........our Goodwills don't seem to carry nicer labels (and they should, we are in a very affluent area) or maybe I just have poor luck in the clothes area.

I also think the prices are high.....like $7.99 for a pair of jeans. I bought dd a pair of Arizona brand jeans from Penny's......2 for $21.99 (B1G1F)

I do get paperback books all the time.

Me too, prices in the stores in our area seem a little high... even the paper backs, I wanted to read Angela's Ashes and it was $5.00, I got it for less on line (for a hardback copy) :confused3

Could anyone reccomend stores in the Miami area?

crisi said:
I wouldn't shop charitible thrift stores, like Goodwill. They are set up as charities, and I don't need charity. I'd rather leave their inventory for people who do need it. A friend of mine works for such a place, they only make enough to cover their costs - and he rants endlessly about the people who make good money coming in to pick over the inventory so there is nothing left for the actual poor people they intend to serve. Especially since the advent of eBay, the store isn't really accomplishing its mission. This isn't judging anyone here, there are certainly no rules against it, it just isn't something I would do.

I do shop, on occation, consignment. And I got a $230 jacket at Nordstrom Rack this weekend for $14.

This really nagged at me so I'm back to comment on it again. I went to the Goodwill webiste and found nothing about the "inventory" being exclusively for "people who need it." Goodwill's mission is not to provide the underpriviliged with "possessions". Thier mission is to provide jobs for people who other employers are not likely to hire. "The revenues fund job training and other services to prepare people for job success." I'm doing a good thing when I go there to buy their inventory, and besides, I need what I am buying. Buying things there is not accepting charity - it is giving to their charity.

http://www.goodwill.org/page/guest/about/whatwedo
Goodwill Industries is all about people working.
We are one of the world’s largest nonprofit providers of education, training, and career services for people with disadvantages, such as welfare dependency, homelessness, and lack of education or work experience, as well as those with physical, mental and emotional disabilities. Last year, local Goodwills collectively provided employment and training services to more than 720,000 individuals.
We believe that work has the power to transform lives by building self-confidence, independence, creativity, trust and friendships. Everyone deserves a chance to have these.

I went friday to three different stores and picked up quite a few summer shorts/skorts/skirts for DD8 who wears a womans size 10--My finds

Tommy shorts-1.99
Old Navy skirt-1.50-BNWT
Old Navy shorts-1.99-BNWT

3 pairs of jean shorts-Zana Dee-YADA-??----1.99 each

4 tank tops different colors-womans size medium-1.50 each-BNWT

Lite Brite flat screen-3.49-BN
Leap frog globe-4.99

WDW sweatshirt-XXL-4.00-extra thick one-Like BN(if it was worn I couldn't tell)

Plus everything I got was marked down an additional 20% because it was military day!!!

I spent $41 total for the day and and brought 7 stuffed full bags into the house!!

crisi said:
I wouldn't shop charitible thrift stores, like Goodwill. They are set up as charities, and I don't need charity. I'd rather leave their inventory for people who do need it. A friend of mine works for such a place, they only make enough to cover their costs - and he rants endlessly about the people who make good money coming in to pick over the inventory so there is nothing left for the actual poor people they intend to serve. Especially since the advent of eBay, the store isn't really accomplishing its mission. This isn't judging anyone here, there are certainly no rules against it, it just isn't something I would do.

I do shop, on occation, consignment. And I got a $230 jacket at Nordstrom Rack this weekend for $14.

I don't see why anyone would have a problem shopping at Goodwill. Our local Goodwill uses the profits from their stores for programs for poor people, the mentally challenged, etc. They are thrilled that people from all economic backgrounds shop there. The more money folks spend at their stores, the more money they have for their programs. I assumed all Goodwills had social programs. Maybe I'm wrong.

After I posted my finds I read the post above mine and would like to add this=

Goodwill isn't just for disadvantaged people to buy what they need it is for everyone to shop at----Goodwill then takes the money it raises from the sales and uses that to help out disadvantaged people in a variety of ways---I know the stores here in my town work w/different city agencies to help people out if they need something----Say a family gets burned out of their house,the Red Cross will then contact the second hand stores and find out what they have available to donate to the family---Like when I was in one store the other day the manager was on the phone w/someone and was telling them that she had a kitchen set they could have and that they were welcome to come to the store to pick out clothes in their size--

So I feel that even though I don't have a buttload of money to donate to help these people out---My going shopping for things my family needs is aiding them in their time of need!

crisi said:
I wouldn't shop charitible thrift stores, like Goodwill. They are set up as charities, and I don't need charity. I'd rather leave their inventory for people who do need it.
Sorry crisi, but I disagree (as did several others before me). The purpose of Goodwill is to provide jobs and training programs for people who wouldn't otherwise be employable. I have several mentally handicapped patients who work for Goodwill. The money raised from the shops is what funds their programs and pays the salaries of those workers. If everyone stopped shopping there, Goodwill wouldn't be able to help anyone.

The stores are not there as charities. They sell stuff to the general public to fund their charitable activities. I feel by shopping there, not only do I get bargains, but I help support a great cause.

Steve, I came back to post & you already said it! :)

And, GW sells their own items both on ebay & other auction sites, so I don't feel I'm taking anything from them. Locally they pick what they want to auction & then put out the rest for sale. I spend my money to purchase those items & can do with them as I please.

And that's keeping them from accomplishing their mission in what way? I'm spending more money there than I did 10 years ago, lots more and that in turn supports their programs.

okay, I admit I maybe the craziest thrift shopper of this week!!
18yr. old and I drove 221 miles to go to thrift stores ( and visit big brother) We went looking for a prom dress. Just can not justify the price that they ask here in town. We had a blast. We got lost at least 20 times. Laughed and shopped 12 thrift shops. Spent 190.00 total. I know I will forget some but prom dress, Dr. Martin shoes, croc like red shoes, purse, silverware for daughters new apartment, cabbage candle and holder(she just had to have it for 1.80) 6 scrub tops and 7 bottoms for her and 3 scrub tops and 3 bottoms for son, 3 capris for me, 2 shorts , 4 tops, hair straightener, 4 capris for daughter , 10 tops, lunch bag, cool beaded bowl 12' across, 3 skirts, 4 shorts and sports tops, tapes for my classroom, picture frames, cooler mug for freezer, golf pull over, new black levis for Dad, 2 pair shorts, etc.....My best find - a microsuede pullover golf wind shirt, tags on says $52.00 bought for 5.95. Hit the jackpot and most of it had tags or name brand very great condition. She ever called her friend at home and said, You would love this place. Next time we come down we have to go here!!!. We had such a good bonding time and very econmical shopping. Didn't need to say no one time. :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

About 10 years ago, my mom managed a Goodwill for a few years. She encouraged ANYONE to shop there, as Goodwill needed the money to fund their programs.
She told me they had such an abundance of clothes donated that they end up selling some of them to be used as rags (after being on the rack for so long). So don't worry about there not being enough for everyone!!!

I found quite a few things today:

Sesame Street wooden toddler puzzle - $1 (Santa is going to bring that one)
Playskool Inline Skates - $2 (will be 2nd or 3rd birthday gift)
2 Mary Kate & Ashley 2T nightgowns - 99 cents each
Fisher Price musical toy - $1 (we paid $10 for one on eBay months ago)
Baby Headstand doll - $1

disneysteve said:
Sorry crisi, but I disagree (as did several others before me). The purpose of Goodwill is to provide jobs and training programs for people who wouldn't otherwise be employable. I have several mentally handicapped patients who work for Goodwill. The money raised from the shops is what funds their programs and pays the salaries of those workers. If everyone stopped shopping there, Goodwill wouldn't be able to help anyone.

The stores are not there as charities. They sell stuff to the general public to fund their charitable activities. I feel by shopping there, not only do I get bargains, but I help support a great cause.

The one my friend works for IS a charity (it is not Goodwill). They show no profitability to send on to other charitable causes. They don't hire poor people (much of the staff is volunteer) or train poor people. They provide cheap secondhand clothes and furnishings to poor people. When people who are not poor shop there, they are not fulfilling their mission.

Now, we donate to Lupus as well, and there the store supports people with Lupus - the idea there is to sell things and they don't care who they sell it to, but that is not a universal with thrift stores, and I don't track which ones do what. There are several in the Twin Cities that follow the first format.

I know that Goodwill, Salvation Army, and our local Rescue Mission store all sell items to fund other things. I think its great to shop at these places...everyone wins! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter