To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

Yea, G went on this mini-rant when I told her Noxgear didn't sell kids 360s to my knowledge. She was like, "What, they don't think kids run too?" I explained to her that most kids running probably aren't doing it when it's dark and 30F outside. We're the odd ones. "Well just because there are so few of us, doesn't mean they shouldn't still sell the product." We looked into it, but the S size is still meant for 25" chest. I didn't measure her, but I'd be surprised if that were the case. The dog one we have (don't know the size offhand) barely fits her around her chest. It's awkward because it was made for a dog as well. So she's hoping we can make something else work.
DD14 got the Noxgear Tracer 2 for her birthday. At the shortest setting and clipped it measures a bit more than 23”. Did you measure G with her Winter clothes on? Also, it should be relatively easy to sow a temporary loop to make it smaller while she grows into it.629803

The runners’ version of Goldilocks and the three bears:
Maybe one will fit just right 😜

Last edited:
DD14 got the Noxgear Tracer 2 for her birthday. At the shortest setting and clipped it measures a bit more than 23”. Did you measure G with her Winter clothes on? Also, it should be relatively easy to sow a temporary loop to make it smaller while she grows into it.View attachment 629803

The runners’ version of Goldilocks and the three bears:
View attachment 629890
Maybe one will fit just right 😜

Might make a good upcoming birthday present if the sizing works out.

11 Weeks to go - 2022 Princess Challenge Training - Week 3/14

11/29/21 - M - OFF
11/30/21 - T - 8 x 2 min @ 3k effort + LIIFT4-Chest/Tri
12/1/21 - W - 1.3 miles w/ G at 30/30 + 3.4 miles @ Easy
12/2/21 - R - 8 x 0.75 mile @ LT
12/3/21 - F - 6.5 miles @ Easy (Treadmill)
12/4/21 - Sa - 7 miles @ Easy (Treadmill)
12/5/21 - Su - 9 miles @ LR

Total Run Miles - 45.0 miles
Total Run Time - 6:14 hours
Total Run TSS - x TSS

Total Biking Time - 0:00 hours
Total Biking TSS - 0 TSS

Total Strength Time - 0:19 hours
Total Strength TSS - x TSS

Total Training Time - 6:33 hours
Total TSS - x TSS

Tuesday

Now things really start to ramp up. Last week was a light introduction to paced work, and this week is more "real" workouts albeit on the easy side of the spectrum.

Conditions - ☁️ Overcast, Wind 7mph to 17mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 19°F + 7°F; FL - 9°F
End: Temp+Dew = 19°F + 8°F; FL - 9°F

A cold one for sure. I could tell the Saucony E Pros just didn't have the same snap to them. Probably because the carbon fiber plate doesn't bend the same in such cold conditions. It was dark and cold, so that means the majority of this run was blind. Additionally, because of the cold I was finally in pants which restricts my leg movement a little. That's all to say I was expecting to be a little slower on this one than my originally scheduled goal. Aiming for a 6:06 min/mile on 8 reps of 2 min each with equal rest of 2 min.

Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 9.21.37 AM.png

The run felt like it should have. Got that deep burn in my legs and lungs. Felt good. Other than the first rep, everything was about where I expected it to be (in and around 6:06). The average was 6:08 when ignoring the first rep. I looked back at Dopey 2018 training and saw I did a similar workout slightly faster with one key difference. In 2018, I walked most of the RI. In 2021, I was easy running with some slight walking in the last few reps. So I think the performance comparison between 2018 and 2021 is fairly equal. All in all, a good workout. Total was 6.9 miles, 57 min, 8:15 pace, and HR of 135.

Afterwards I did LIIFT4 chest and tri.

Wednesday

Run with G.

Conditions - ☁️ Partly Cloudy, Wind 4mph to 6mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 21°F + 14°F; FL - 16°F
End: Temp+Dew = 21°F + 14°F; FL - 16°F

A cold one for us, but she was comfortable. We did 1.3 miles, 18 min, and 13:34 pace. This is the second run in a row where I almost beat her to the finish line (most of the time I'm too tired fro Tuesday's workout to get down to the 7:30s to beat her). But the last two runs, I've had enough in the tank to challenge her super boost. And rather than finish the run fairly, she cheats. Both times cutting the course short to ensure her victory. I explained to her post-run, that's not how we do things. Win or lose, we do it fairly. And she won't win every time whether it's against me or someone else. So she needs to learn how to accept defeat with dignity which isn't an easy lesson for a young kid. But we'll get there.

Afterwards I did an easy run of 3.4 miles, 32 min, 9:24 pace, and 129 bpm. Nothing to note really.

Thursday

My alarm went off at 4:30am to do the LIIFT4 workout. I did not. I went back to bed. Memory tells me we didn't get to bed all that early Wednesday evening and I don't remember why. I just planned to do it post-run despite that making it a long night.

Conditions - ☁️ Mostly Cloudy, Wind 6mph to 10mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 35°F + 29°F; FL - 30°F
End: Temp+Dew = 33°F + 29°F; FL - 30°F

The workout was 8 x 0.75 miles at LT with 1 min RI. Despite the short intervals (about 5 min), this is a hard workout because the volume is a lot (40 total min of LT pace) and the rest is really short (only 1 min). So I expected a challenge to maintain the 6:38 goal pace.

Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 9.33.59 AM.png

Again, the first rep was a little slow, but everything afterwards was closer to goal pace. This was a challenge to both the legs and lungs but I fought through it. I also maintained a nice easy pace through most of the reps with a single water break after rep 4. I felt like I never really recovered from the last rep before the next one started and the HR data agrees. But if I'm going to finish Top 3, then I've got to train my body as well as my mind to continue to power through. Total workout was 9.8 miles, 75 min, 7:44 pace, and HR of 144.

If I remember correctly, Steph/G wanted to watch Hawkeye after dinner, so I didn't do the LIIFT4 workout and pushed it to Friday.

Friday

Conditions outside were atrocious. Like I feel really lucky I didn't hurt anyone with my car coming out of downtown Madison because the visibility and driving conditions were really rough. I wasn't about to go running in it especially after my own driving experience. So I jumped on the treadmill and did an hour at 6.5 mph. Nice to have that option these days. In years past, I would have been headed outside.

I didn't do the LIIFT4 workout. Don't remember what my excuse was.

Saturday

It looked cold and icy outside, so I opted to stay inside. I did another hour on the treadmill at 7.0 mph. The workout felt fine.

Sunday

Sunday morning was delayed because there was drama in the neighborhood. A neighbor's daughter's car was hit overnight. So the Facebook group for the neighborhood was a buzz with camera angles to try and identify the car. My SIL had the accident occurring on her camera. But our camera had a pretty definitive angle that implicated another neighbor as the culprit. It was definitely a sinking feeling to have that information. We passed it on to the authorities, and it got taken care of. That's all to say, my morning was severely delayed from normal.

Conditions - ☀️ Clear, Wind 18mph to 38mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 37°F + 29°F; FL - 27°F
End: Temp+Dew = 40°F + 30°F; FL - 27°F

I didn't get started until 11am and I had yet to eat anything. So I anticipated the run would be a bit of a drag and it was.

Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 9.44.46 AM.png

Overall though, I got it done. The GAP was fairly consistent other than mile 3. Happy with it overall. Finished 9 miles, 70 min, 7:49 pace, and HR of 144. The HR is higher than I want to see for this type of run. But at the moment I'm still chalking that up to post-marathon recovery and no food.

Next week is a repeat of the 8 x 2 min workout, then a 6 x 1 mi at LT with R reps inter-mixed, and then 11 mile LR. Total mileage is slightly higher than last week (48 mi goal), but still after four weeks from my marathon I'm still about 80% of my last peak mileage from the Madison M training. I'd like to get back to LIIFT4 workouts though and will need to find time for that.

10 Weeks to go - 2022 Princess Challenge Training - Week 4/14

12/13/21 - M - OFF
12/14/21 - T - 8 x 2 min @ 3k effort + LIIFT4-Chest/Tri
12/15/21 - W - 1.4 miles w/ G at 30/30 + 3.3 miles @ Easy
12/16/21 - R - 3x200m + 6x1mile + 3x200m
12/17/21 - F - 1.9 miles w/ G at 30/30 + 2 miles @ Easy + LIIFT4-Back/Biceps
12/18/21 - Sa - 7 miles @ Easy
12/19/21 - Su - 10 miles @ LR

Total Run Miles - 44.6 miles
Total Run Time - 6:33 hours
Total Run TSS - x TSS

Total Biking TSS - 0 TSS

Total Strength Time - 0:42 hours

Total Training Time - 7:15 hours
Total TSS - x TSS

Monday

Not usually a good sign when I've got a Monday update. During the day I reached awkwardly in my pocket for my phone and "popped" something in my right back/hip area. It was sore after that.

Tuesday

A repeat of last week's 8x2 min 3k effort workout. Thankfully warmer, so was hoping the shoes would have a bit more pop to them.

Conditions - ☁️ Mostly Cloudy, Wind 11mph to 21mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 42°F + 38°F; FL - 35°F
End: Temp+Dew = 41°F + 37°F; FL - 35°F

A little windy, but doable. The goal was a 6:06 min/mile.

Screen Shot 2021-12-20 at 9.17.21 AM.png

Got through the first rep and saw 6:12 and was like, yea no that's not quite fast enough. So I increased the effort level slightly, finished the second rep and saw a 6:14. I was like, this is definitely not going the right direction. So I blasted the effort level to the moon on the third rep. Glanced down about halfway through and saw I was in the 5:30s, and was like oops I've way overcorrected. I slowed down through the remainder of the rep and finished at 5:53. I did the fourth rep in 6:06. I drank some water during the 4th rep RI and then prepared myself for the end. I do the final four reps in 6:01, 5:59, 5:58, and 6:02. I'm quite pleased with the effort overall. I was able to run the RI for six of the eight reps and really only struggled between the 7th and 8th rep. The overall pace was 6:03 including the first two reps and 6:00 when not including the first reps. It definitely felt "right" and like my legs are starting to fully recover from the Nov marathon. The total workout was 7.3 miles, 60 min, 8:15 pace and HR of 137.

I like how the pace/HR graph from Garmin really exemplifies what this workout is all about. And how the true gains are made in the end.

Screen Shot 2021-12-20 at 9.23.42 AM.png

As the run progresses more and more time is spent at the higher HR as a proportion of the total interval.

I did LIIFT4-Chest/Tri afterwards.

Wednesday

Conditions - 🌧 Drizzle, Wind 21mph to 38mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 64°F + 63°F; FL - 64°F
End: Temp+Dew = 64°F + 62°F; FL - 64°F

An unusually warm December day here in WI. And the wind was quite heavy. G wasn't thrilled it was raining on us (a drizzle at best), but she got over it. We took it nice and easy and enjoyed our time. She's back on the wanting a watch game. I might get her one for her birthday, but I haven't committed yet. We did 1.4 miles using 30/30 in 13:23 pace.

Afterwards, I did my easy run. About halfway through I felt a twinge in my right back/hip area, but nothing too alarming. But then as soon as it was there, it was gone. At the end of the run, I was rounding the corner to come home and my right leg completely gave up on me. My back/hip were like "nah, we're done". And just stopped working. So I stopped running and walked the remaining tiny bit home. A bit concerning to say the least. In total it was 3.3 miles, 31 min, 9:21 pace, and 135 bpm.

Thursday

I took two Tylenol during the day at 7am and 2:30pm. I don't usually medicate, but it did make the pain go away. I wasn't sure about the hard run that evening, but planned on just seeing what the body was willing to do. The planned workout was 3x200m + 6x1mile + 3x200m.

Conditions - 🌙 Clear, Wind 17mph to 34mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 31°F + 20°F; FL - 20°F
End: Temp+Dew = 30°F + 19°F; FL - 20°F

I wore my grey columbia baselayer and heavy columbia pants (despite being the warmest they're also the most flexible). I feel like I may have overdressed slightly on this one as my legs did get quite warm. I wore the Next% instead of the Saucony Pros. The wind was there, but the direction (west) meant it was probably the ideal direction for how the course design goes.

Screen Shot 2021-12-20 at 9.33.26 AM.png

The 3x200m were much slower than I anticipated. I do feel like I was holding back some to make sure I didn't aggravate my back/hip with something too aggressive. But still. Then after the appetizer was done, it was time for the main course. The goal was a 6:38 min/mile. The first was spot on (6:38), then the second was good (6:35) and the third as well (6:34). I ran through the 90s resting intervals on each. I took a very short water break during the third resting interval and feel like my legs tightened up a bit. Because the 4th, 5th, and 6th intervals were 6:41, 6:44, and 6:44 despite digging deep and pushing hard. So a little bit of a fade, but only 6 seconds from goal pace. Then the R reps wrapped up and were a little quicker than the starting ones (because less concerned about aggravating anything at that point). The right back/hip was at most a minimal issue/barely noticed. Overall the workout went well. The final average was a 6:39 for the reps which is only 1 second from goal. The total workout was 11.6 miles, 91 min, 7:52 pace, and 141 bpm. The Garmin VO2max value increased from 54 to 55 (slightly below peak of Madison M training on the 245 at 56).

Friday

Conditions - ☁️ Mostly Cloudy, Wind 8mph to 16mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 28°F + 20°F; FL - 19°F
End: Temp+Dew = 27°F + 19°F; FL - 19°F

Coldest run for G so far? Possibly. She handled it well. Her "face was a little cold", but it's nothing like the cold days she goes sledding on. I decided to secretly extend our running. She noticed, but her energy levels stayed high. We did 1.9 miles at 30/30 at 14:04 pace. She hit sub-8 pace towards the end of the run during our fast finish.

Afterwards, I did 2 miles of my own at an easy pace. As her runs extend, my time spent solo easy running is going to drop some to keep from putting in too much work.

I did LIIFT4-Back/Biceps afterwards.

Saturday

Conditions - ⛅ Mostly Cloudy, Wind 11mph to 16mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 27°F + 22°F; FL - 16°F
End: Temp+Dew = 28°F + 23°F; FL - 16°F

Played video games until midnight, so late morning start. Took advantage since Steph worked on Sunday morning. Just a nice and easy 7 mile run. I did 7 miles, 63 min, 9:05 pace, and 127 bpm.

Sunday

I was scheduled for an 11 mile LR. Steph had to work so I was up at 6am. Ehhh more like 6:15am. So I was running a little late to get the whole workout in on time.

Conditions - 🌙 Clear, Wind 4mph to 7mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 19°F + 15°F; FL - 13°F
End: Temp+Dew = 20°F + 16°F; FL - 13°F

Shorts, tank, and arm sleeves. I swung a bit too far the other direction on this one. Albeit I wasn't all that uncomfortable, but a touch cold.

Screen Shot 2021-12-20 at 9.47.14 AM.png

Body never really got in the groove on this one. The effort felt fine, but the pace was slower than I expected. So I just stuck with the slower pace. Some bouncing around here and there, but all together within about a 25 second pace window. I'd hope for tighter, but it's alright. In total it was 10.1 miles, 82 min, 8:09 pace and HR of 134. I unfortunately ran out of time in terms of getting the whole run in (missed out on 0.9 miles which isn't a huge deal big picture). Plus, I was less concerned since the Thursday run was 11.6 miles (90 min).

All in all a good week. Still working on the habit of getting all three LIIFT4 workouts in, but it's coming together. Body feels decent, and hoping the back issue was a small hiccup. The workouts difficulty increases this week with the 8x2 min becoming a 4 set (2 + 3 min) and the LT becomes 3x200+2x1.5+3x200+2x1.5. And then a 14 mile LR on Sunday. In total, I'm aiming for 7 hrs and 53 miles. So after six weeks, I'll be closer to my lower end training volume from the last half of the last plan.

9 Weeks to go - 2022 Princess Challenge Training - Week 5/14

12/20/21 - M - OFF
12/21/21 - T - 3 sets (2 min + 3 min @ 3k effort) + LIIFT4-Chest/Tri
12/22/21 - W - 1.1 miles w/ G at 30/30 + 3.9 miles @ Easy
12/23/21 - R - 3x200m + 2x1.5mile + 3x200m + 2x1.5mile
12/24/21 - F - 2 miles w/ G at 30/30 + 5 miles @ Easy (Treadmill) + LIIFT4-Back/Biceps
12/25/21 - Sa - 7 miles @ Easy
12/26/21 - Su - 14 miles @ LR

Total Run Miles - 51.7 miles
Total Run Time - 7:20 hours
Total Run TSS - x TSS

Total Biking TSS - 0 TSS

Total Strength Time - 0:37 hours

Total Training Time - 7:57 hours
Total TSS - x TSS

Tuesday

First move into 3 minutes of 3k effort. I originally had written the run to be four sets of (2 min + 3 min), but right before I left for the run, I decided to move it down to 3 sets instead. I felt like maybe I was biting off more than I could handle at this moment in time.

Conditions - ⛅ Mostly Cloudy, Wind 11mph to 25mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 24°F + 18°F; FL - 14°F
End: Temp+Dew = 28°F + 20°F; FL - 14°F

Screen Shot 2021-12-27 at 6.01.39 PM.png

I went into this with a goal of 6:06 min/mile, but I just seemed to be stuck in neutral gear. I couldn't get down to the desired pace. So instead of really trying to force it, I just went with it. I reminded myself post-run that I'm still only 5 weeks out from my marathon in November. Which means I'm still not likely moved into optimal training load and so my body is just grinding until it can get through to the other side. Just going to be patient. The final average pace was a 6:12 min/mile. So 6 seconds average slower than goal, but big picture that's not a big difference. Overall the run was 7 miles, 58 min, 8:17, and 134 bpm.

Afterwards, I did LIIFT4 chest/tri.

Wednesday

G and I had our normal Wednesday run. I gave her the option this time around for either a slow/long run or a fast/short run. She sat and thought about it for a second or so, and then she started crying. I was like, "what's with the tears". After a lot and back and forth, she was worried that I would be upset if she chose fast/short run. I then explained to her that all runners do all sorts of runs. So she shouldn't worry about it. She also said she was extra tired today, and then I explained to her that that's normal too. We just slow down the run some. No worries.

Conditions - 🌙 Clear, Wind 6mph to 10mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 23°F + 10°F; FL - 16°F
End: Temp+Dew = 23°F + 10°F; FL - 16°F

We ended up doing 1.1 miles at 12:38 min/mile using 30/30. She was nearly hyperventilating at the end because she felt like we were running so fast. I explained to her that the purpose of some runs is to learn to be "comfortable with being uncomfortable". But it's also important to realize that this run wasn't that much faster than ones we've done before. She was psyching herself up and out. She felt much better after our conversations.

Afterwards, I did a simple 3.9 mile run. It was 35 min, 9:01 min/mile, and 128 bpm.

Thursday

During the day I got a few emails from local races that were having discounts. So I signed up G and I for two more 5ks. We're going to do the Brat Fest in May and Hot2Trot in June. I also decided to get G a Garmin for her birthday in February. We had discussed it earlier, but she was clear she wasn't interested in the kids Garmin (Princess, Marvel, or Star Wars) and wanted a "real" watch. So I went with a Garmin 45s (which actually has a smaller wrist size capability than the kids version has). After a bunch of discounts, credits, and such I got the watch for $65. So I'm complaining. I wanted the purple version, but the place I was getting it from only had the black in stock.

Conditions - ⛅ Mostly Cloudy, Wind 10mph to 17mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 32°F + 23°F; FL - 24°F
End: Temp+Dew = 37°F + 27°F; FL - 24°F

For the run, I was aiming for 3x200m + 2x1.5mile + 3x200m + 2x1.5mile with 200m reps around 45s and the 1.5 mile reps around 6:38 min/mile pace.

Screen Shot 2021-12-27 at 6.30.07 PM.png

The R reps were still slower than I wanted. I really just seem to not be able to open up the legs right now. The LT reps were slower than desired, but not that far off. The second set of R reps were better. But I was really dragging on the second set of 1.5 mile LT reps. Did get it done. For the R reps, I got an average of 46s and the LT was 6:45 min/mile. So only 7 seconds off goal pace and in line with Tuesday's 3k run. The run overall was 11.7 miles, 92 min, 7:53 pace, and HR of 139. I believe my Garmin VO2max increased to 56 which was the peak of my Madison M training. So my HRvPace has gotten back to where it was in about 6 weeks which is in line with historical data. I just think my body isn't quite ready for the pace yet. But still time to get more comfortable.

Friday

G wanted to do long and slow today. So we headed out on our 2 mile run, her longest in her life.

Conditions - ☁️ Overcast, Wind 12mph to 23mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 36°F + 34°F; FL - 28°F
End: Temp+Dew = 37°F + 36°F; FL - 28°F

She enjoyed this run quite a bit more. Since we were running mid-morning we saw a lot of other runners out and about. She really enjoyed saying good morning and other holiday greetings. G loved that commrodorige with runners we didn't even know. We ended up doing 2 miles using 30/30 at 13:34 pace.

Since Steph was at work, I did the remaining 5 miles on the treadmill. Nothing special. It was 8:21 pace.

Afterwards, I did LIIFT4 back and biceps.

Saturday

Conditions - ☁️ Overcast, Wind 9mph to 19mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 32°F + 25°F; FL - 25°F
End: Temp+Dew = 33°F + 24°F; FL - 25°F

Seven miles in the morning. Nice and easy. I don't remember anything specific about the run itself. It was 61 min, 8:41 pace, and HR of 130 bpm.

Sunday

Conditions - ☀️ Clear, Wind 6mph to 9mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 26°F + 21°F; FL - 19°F
End: Temp+Dew = 32°F + 26°F; FL - 19°F

First run over 90 min of the plan. Took Maurten 320 before the run, concentrated Tailwind during, and a Maurten gel at near 60 min. The goal was to run LR effort.

Screen Shot 2021-12-27 at 7.10.01 PM.png

The first mile was nice and quick. But things didn't feel quite as quick after that first mile. But once I hit Mile 11 is when things started feeling more normal again. Despite the pick-up in pace, the effort felt pretty much the same. So maybe I'm slowing moving in the right direction. The final was 14 miles, 110 min, 7:53 pace, and HR of 136 bpm.

After five straight weeks of building, it's time to take a small step back. I'm finally closer to Madison M training levels. So now hopefully the last nine weeks of training will be fruitful. I was planning on doing the New Years Eve 10k, but I'm not liking where I'm at fitness wise at the moment. So at this time, I think I'll skip it. I might change my mind, but I'd rather focus on training at the moment.

2022 Princess Challenge Training Plan Update

Original Training Plan

I'm making two changes to the original training plan.

First, I was going to do two "B" races on 12/31 (tomorrow) and 2/13. I'm no longer going to do the 12/31 race because my fitness just isn't where I want it to be yet, although it's getting closer. So that leaves me with one "B" race remaining, which was scheduled for 2/13.

Second, I've decided to move from a three week taper to a two-week taper. Which puts the peak of the plan on 2/13 and prevents me from doing the 2/13 race. But since this shifts the peak weeks to a different weekend all throughout the plan, this opens up the 1/23 10k (five weeks prior to Princess) as available. So now the plan will be to run that 10k instead (given good weather conditions). I really like how I felt during the 2019 Madison HM, which came as a "B" race in the middle of 2020 Disney M training. I went back and looked and saw that I ran a 160 min run two weeks prior to the HM, essentially making it a two-week taper. And that I dropped the running volume to 85% in taper week 1, and 34% in taper week 2 (not including the HM itself). So with a currently proposed 62.8 miles for peak week in this plan, that would be 53.4 miles in taper week 1, and 21.3 miles in taper week 2. I had scheduled 49.1 miles and 23.1 miles respectively. So a few small edits and I'm there. Additionally, the last small hard workout (15 min @ LT to HM Tempo) occurred 3 days prior to the November HM, and I'm placing my last small hard workout (4x400m @ 10k w/ 15 sec rest) three days prior too.

I like these edits to the plan and think they'll serve me well towards my goals for this training plan.

8 Weeks to go - 2022 Princess Challenge Training - Week 6/14

12/27/21 - M - OFF
12/28/21 - T - 6x3min @ 3k effort (Treadmill) + LIIFT4-Chest/Tri
12/29/21 - W - 45 min @ Easy (SOG)
12/30/21 - R - Vigil Miles (6 x 1 mile @ 10k) (Treadmill)
12/31/21 - F - 1.3 miles w/ G at 30/30 + 3.8 miles @ Easy (Treadmill)
1/2/22 - Sa - 7 miles @ Easy (Treadmill)
1/3/22 - Su - 10 miles @ LR (Treadmill)

Total Run Miles - 45.2 miles
Total Run Time - 6:27 hours
Total Run TSS - x TSS

Total Biking TSS - 0 TSS

Total Strength Time - 0:23 hours

Total Training Time - 6:51 hours
Total TSS - x TSS

Tuesday

I think the title for this week should be, thank goodness for the treadmill. The village of Cottage Grove usually does a great job clearing the snow/ice from the roads. But they badly miscalculated this time around. They didn't clear the roads well and then didn't put salt down, and then it got too cold for the salt to be useful. So essentially the whole week was a wash in terms of runnable roads at anything resembling normal pace. So it was lots and lots of treadmill time.

The workout was scheduled to be 6 x 3 min at 3k effort (6:06 min/mile). I was entirely positive I could actually do a 6:06 on the treadmill (9.8 mph).

Screen Shot 2022-01-04 at 8.41.38 AM.png

I ended up doing a 15 min WU at a 6mph (10:00 min/mile) and then reps of 3 min at 9mph four times, 9.5 mph once, and 10 mph once. The paces above are garbage because they're based on my watch's accelerometer (so pretty inaccurate). But I have no reason to believe the treadmill's pace is inaccurate. That last 3 min rep at 10 mph was tough, but doable. That's the one that actually felt like the right pace. From memory, the workout was 7.3 miles, 63 min, and HR was 131. Pace would have been around an average of 8:38. Which based on the HR makes sense.

I did Chest/Tri afterwards.

Wednesday

It was below the cutoff for G (15F windchill) so she sat this one out.

Conditions - ☁️ Overcast, Wind 4mph to 7mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 20°F + 14°F; FL - 14°F
End: Temp+Dew = 19°F + 14°F; FL - 14°F

I ran outside on the snow covered roads and just took it nice and easy. There were slushy uphill spots that made it like I was running in place. The run also bothered my knees, hips and ankles since I was using new areas for stabilizing. It was not overly enjoyable. Ended up at 4.66 miles, 45 min, 9:44 pace, and 123 bpm.

Thursday

From memory, it was actively snowing pretty good. So there wasn't a chance to run fast outside (let alone the previous snow is still hanging around on the roads). Come on Village... I was scheduled for a 2x200m+3x1mile+2x200m+3x1mile, but I didn't want to do 200m R reps on the treadmill. So at first I was going to do 6x1 mile at LT (6:38 min/mile). But then I thought, why not ramp up the difficulty a bit and do the Vigil Miles (McMillan workout) that is 6x1mile at 10k pace (6:27 min/mile) instead. The resting interval moves from 90s per rep to 3.5 min per rep.

I designed the whole workout based on time on my watch, and it worked quite well. I could zone out more knowing the watch was keeping track of the intricacies of the workout.

Screen Shot 2022-01-04 at 8.51.11 AM.png

As McMillan described it, this is a very hard workout. The first three reps were, ok. I could maintain the pace, and I felt good. But man oh man, did reps 4, 5, and 6 require a near full dedication to complete. It was a little concerning because as I was running and getting to the last 90s or so, I was slowly moving backwards on the treadmill getting closer and closer to the edge. I was slowing down, but the treadmill itself was not. It was a really good workout for me. I was nearly fully wiped after it was over. So I ended up doing 6 x 6:27 min at 9.3 mph on the treadmill. The total workout was 11.1 miles in 90 min (8:06 pace) and HR of 134.

I stayed up until 1am watching the Badger football game.

Friday

I had off work, but Steph did not. So G and I went for a morning run.

Conditions - ☁️ Overcast, Wind 6mph to 10mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 26°F + 23°F; FL - 19°F
End: Temp+Dew = 27°F + 23°F; FL - 19°F

Still snow covered roads. Ugh! She was a trooper. We ended up doing 1.3 miles at 30/30 in about 20 min (15:32 pace). She really enjoys running in the light mid-day because she sees other people out and about. She's a chatter for sure.

Afterwards, I came inside and did 3.8 miles of my own on the treadmill at an easy pace. Ended up doing it in 33 min (around 8:40 pace) with HR of 123.

I did not do Back/Biceps and pushed it to the next day. We had a tight schedule to watch the new Hilda movie and then watch some of the College Football Playoffs (bust).

Saturday

Still can't get out there. Treadmill it is. Steph had a virtual race, so I had to be quick about this one. Ended up doing 7 miles in 58:26, so about 8:20 pace, and HR of 125 bpm. I mixed in some inclines from 2-8% grade in there.

Didn't do Back/Biceps because Steph wanted the TV for her virtual race.

Sunday

Treadmill again.

I was aiming for 10 miles. I did it in 78 min. So that's 7:48 min/mile pace. I mixed in some inclines from 2-10% grade in there. The HR was 132 bpm.

My right ankle was a little tender on the inside after this one. Probably has something to do with not running straight on while on the treadmill as my gaze is slightly to the left to the TV's location.

So overall, not a bad recovery week. More treadmill than I'd like, but if they're not going to clear the roads more, then I'm kind of stuck. At this moment, the roads are still covered in snow, but the temps are warming a touch. So maybe I'll get outside. G also starts basketball on Wednesday so our normal running schedule will need to be adjusted. I plan to do a descending 4+3+2 at 3k effort on Tuesday, then a LT run on Thursday, and 13 mile LR this weekend. So not quite a peak week, but a moderate one because I needed to shift the peak after last week's plan adjustment. Hoping to get outside more. I am starting to feel stronger and want to show it with some road miles.

The paces above are garbage because they're based on my watch's accelerometer (so pretty inaccurate). But I have no reason to believe the treadmill's pace is inaccurate.
I've been doing more treadmill running than I prefer as well. I'm sure you're right about the watch accelerometer but I've been trusting that more than the treadmill for my runs. Granted, right now I just have whatever treadmill is in my apartment complex. Yours is likely nicer and in better condition. Regardless, I figure the actual truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

Have you used a foot pod? Some northern runner friends that rely on the treadmill for inclement weather swear by them. Apparently over time, the tread on a treadmill stretches just a little and even though you would think it would know how fast it is going, they aren’t that accurate. Between the 2, any given treadmill could be off by quite a bit.

I've been doing more treadmill running than I prefer as well. I'm sure you're right about the watch accelerometer but I've been trusting that more than the treadmill for my runs. Granted, right now I just have whatever treadmill is in my apartment complex. Yours is likely nicer and in better condition. Regardless, I figure the actual truth is probably somewhere in the middle.
Have you used a foot pod? Some northern runner friends that rely on the treadmill for inclement weather swear by them. Apparently over time, the tread on a treadmill stretches just a little and even though you would think it would know how fast it is going, they aren’t that accurate. Between the 2, any given treadmill could be off by quite a bit.

I’d say for me, the exact treadmill pace doesn’t need to be accurate or precise such that I don’t need a foot pod. Ultimately, the plan is effort based and I can tell if I’m giving an appropriate effort level regardless of my accelerometer or the treadmill speed. Based on last weeks runs and yesterdays 3k run, I was pretty wiped post run as I should be. Some of the reps were very challenging as expected regardless of whether it was the exact pace needed.

Just have to take a minute to say G never ceases to amaze me.

She decided she wanted to try out for a play at a local theater. We asked her what role she'd like to audition for, and she chose one of the main roles. The character is an adult female. We explained to her that we'd let her try, but that ultimately she'd likely end up in a supporting role (because of it being an adult female and all). So last night was her audition, and it went a little something like this.

Them - Alright, who do we have next? Gigi.
Gigi - Yes, that's me.
Them - Alright, how old are you?
Gigi - Seven
Them - Have you been in any plays before?
Gigi - No
Them - Have you ever been to an audition?
Gigi - Yes, I've done several commercials and photo shoots.
Them - How long have you been doing that for?
Gigi - Since I was a baby.
Them - Alright, so what role are you auditioning for tonight?
Gigi - Alice.
Them - Oh... Alice. Really? (looks over to parents to confirm and Steph nods)
Them - Alright, have you ever read a script before?
Gigi - Yes, I've been practicing.
Them - Perfect. Alright, well what part of the script would you like to read for us?
Gigi - Scene 8. But I don't need to read it. I've memorized it.
Them - Oh... Really?
Gigi - Yes.
Them - Well alright then. Let's do it once as a reading, and then a second time memorized.

She then proceeds to absolutely nail both the reading and memorization of about two pages of script.

The director stops the audition, and says, "I really want to thank you for coming in tonight, Gigi. I've been doing this for over 20 years. I have never met someone like you before. It has been an honor to sit through this audition with you." The director did confirm with G that this was a role for an adult female. And Steph interjected that we've discussed this and know that something of a supporting role is more of the expectation. But that G wanted to do this audition. They then left the audition after about 20 minutes, and the next few people waiting to go in were all adult females.

G was in her element. She was just G. We both told her how proud of her we were, and that she just needs to continue to be her. Nothing more, nothing less.

To satisfy a little of my curiosity, I tried to see if one of the secondary measures my watch is collecting could lead to some evidence about the actual pace I'm running on the treadmill. For running, there are three ways you can increase your speed in the moment.

1) Increase cadence
2) Increase stride length
3) Increase cadence and stride length

I've shown in the past, that I tend to be a #3 runner. Whereby I increase my cadence and stride length in an attempt to run faster in the moment. So stride length is probably not going to be useful for this purpose. The Garmin's stride length is calculated by using your cadence and the pace you're running. But on the treadmill, if we're arguing that the accelerometer pace isn't terribly precise/accurate, then it also means the stride length (which uses that value) wouldn't be precise/accurate either. But it stands to reason that the cadence measurement of the watch is independent of the pace the watch outputs. Such that it should be coming up with that value in the same manner whether I'm inside or outside. And since my increase in pace in the moment typically coincides with an increase in cadence, I was wondering whether using cadence or HR data could be indicative of how hard I was running while on the treadmill. The one caveat to using HR, is that I know over the course of a training plan my HRvPace relationship usually improves. So since the trend of outside/inside running also trends in the same direction as the training plan passing over time, it means the HR needs to be evaluated carefully. But what about cadence?

Screen Shot 2022-01-07 at 8.30.11 AM.png

Interestingly, it mostly follows. The faster pace I'm running outside, the higher the cadence value. My 3k pacing being around 192-194 spm. And my LT pacing being around 187-188 spm. So when I see a 6:07 min/mile pace (based on treadmill 9.8 mph) have a 192 spm, that's a good sign that it's close to a legit 6:07 effort based on the outside runs. And when I see my LT/10k efforts at 6:27 pace (9.3mph) end up around 189-190 spm compared to my outside LT of 6:40 around 187-188, it means it's probably close to a legit 6:27 pace. Whereas the watch's accelerometer was telling me mid 5s or mid 7s for some of the 3k pacing, and the LT pacing was all over the place as well. So for me, the cadence data would suggest the treadmill is probably pretty close to accurate. And this lines up with the effort level I'm giving to complete these workouts.

7 Weeks to go - 2022 Princess Challenge Training - Week 7/14

1/4/22 - M - OFF
1/5/22 - T - 2x(4+3+2) @ 3k effort (Treadmill) + LIIFT4-Chest/Tri
1/6/22 - W - 4.7 miles @ Easy (SOG + Windy)
1/7/22 - R - 3 miles @ LT + 3 x 1 miles @ 10k (Treadmill)
1/8/22 - F - 7 miles @ Easy (Jack and Jill)
1/9/22 - Sa - 9 miles @ Easy (Very Windy) + LIIFT4-Back/Biceps
1/10/22 - Su - 13 miles @ LR (Extremely Windy)

Total Run Miles - 53.1 miles
Total Run Time - 7:19 hours
Total Run TSS - x TSS

Total Biking TSS - 0 TSS

Total Strength Time - 1:02 hours

Total Training Time - 8:21 hours
Total TSS - x TSS

Tuesday

If last week's theme was "treadmill", then this week was "Wind". The roads were no where close to being clear enough to run fast on. So treadmill it was. The goal of the workout was 2 sets of 4 min + 3 min + 2 min at 3k effort. I set the treadmill to 9.8 mph (6:08 min/mile pace).

Screen Shot 2022-01-09 at 12.56.29 PM.png

The workout was intense at times, but survivable. Happy with the effort overall. In total it was 8 miles, 66 min, 8:12 pace, and HR of 132 bpm.

Afterwards I did the LIIFT4-Chest/Tri workout.

Wednesday

G started basketball, so I had to figure out timing for the run. I considered running in the morning, but honestly waking up at 4:00am to get it done just didn't sound appetizing. Plus, Steph has been in a groove with her morning workouts and I didn't want to break that up. Her practice/game was at 6-7pm. I usually get home at 4:50pm from work, and then start the run around 5:20pm. I was looking for 45 min, so I wouldn't finish in time on the treadmill or running outside and coming home. So Steph came up with the idea of me running to her basketball practice (at the K school). So as soon as I walked in the door it was a literal sprint to get running clothes on and get out the door.

Conditions - 🌨 Light Snow, Wind 19mph to 34mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 13°F + 10°F; FL - -4°F
End: Temp+Dew = 14°F + 11°F; FL - -4°F

Oh... look at that. 34 mph winds. Yeah... Plus it was sub-zero temps. Oh, and the roads were mostly still covered in snow and ice. I'll admit it wasn't a terribly enjoyable run. But I got it done. I ran some laps around the neighborhood and then headed towards G's practice. In total it was 4.7 miles, 44 min, 9:21 pace, and HR of 134 bpm.

G's practice was a lot of fun to watch. She's never played organized basketball before. So it was fun to watch her learn something new, and honestly look completely lost out there. So fun and cute.

Thursday

Pre-run I was talking with my SIL who is on the Village board. I was complaining to her about the conditions of the roads. I've been running for nearly a decade now and the roads have never been this bad before. And honestly, we haven't even had that bad of a winter this year so far from a snow precipitation standpoint. She informed me that this was an intentional decision. They've decided for environmental reasons to use less salt this year, and thus only the hills are getting salt and most other areas are not getting treated at all. She said they did a test run last year in small area of the Village and received virtually no complaints. But they never considered runners as all reasons why people who use the village roads. And realized that maybe there weren't any complaints from runners last year because they just avoided that small area of the village. But now since the roads aren't very clear everywhere, it's more of an issue for runners. Ultimately I said you know we're probably not supposed to be running on the roads, but you can't trust people to keep their sidewalks clear even though that's the rule. She said they may reconsider their decision on using less salt for environmental reasons, or maybe this will be more evidence they should invest in a public track that is heated and cleaned for a space for runners in the winter. So with this news, I realized I probably need to find some small clear areas of road to get some more outdoor mileage in. But after doing some driving around, there just wasn't a good option to run fast in the dark for this workout. So treadmill it is. The workout planned was 3 miles at LT (6:38 min/mile) + 3 x 1 mile at 10k (decided to do descending pacing at 6:27, 6:23, and 6:15).

Screen Shot 2022-01-09 at 1.14.54 PM.png

The 3 miles at LT (9 mph/6:40) was challenging, but doable. Felt good to run that fast for that long. Took 5 min at an easy pace, and then it was time for a set of 3 individual miles at 10k pacing. I did the first one at 6:27 (9.3 mph), then the second one at 6:23 (9.4 mph). After finishing that one I was really questioning whether I could finish the workout off at a 6:15 mile (9.6 mph). But I wanted to attack the finish of this workout. I decided I'd just hold on for as long as I could. Laser focused and able to complete it. I was sweating so much, and I was getting a good burning feeling in my lungs. Nice workout overall. I believe the workout ended up at 10.6 miles, 84 min, 7:55 min/mile and HR of 136 bpm.

Friday

So now I've learned I better suck it up and run outside if I can find a small stretch of clean road. Out I went. My hill just near my house was 99% clean, so I went up and down the hill. Over and over and over. It was a Jack and Jill easy run.

Conditions - ☁️ Partly Cloudy, Wind 6mph to 11mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 6°F + 1°F; FL - -5°F
End: Temp+Dew = 5°F + 1°F; FL - -5°F

Bonus was a low wind day.

Screen Shot 2022-01-09 at 1.22.54 PM.png

I was either running uphill or downhill. There was barely a moment where I was running on flat ground. The run overall ended up at a higher elevation change per mile than I'm used to. Usually I do something in the mid 30s, but this was at 53ft per mile. I like the GAP evenness though. Really locked in to the effort no matter which direction I was heading in. The run overall was 7 miles, 66 min, 9:24 pace, and HR of 130 bpm. Little disappointed in the HR. I know some of it is the intense hill running on this one, but still that feels a little worse of a HRvPace relationship than a few weeks ago before my extended time on the treadmill. I think all of the data has been disrupted because of the recent weather and I've got to just keep doing what I do and see where the chips lie at the end.

Saturday

Woof to the wind!

Conditions - ⛅ Mostly Cloudy, Wind 19mph to 36mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 16°F + 9°F; FL - -1°F
End: Temp+Dew = 18°F + 12°F; FL - -1°F

36 mph wind! I've got this. Goal was 9 miles. Thankfully since it was light out, I could find some other stretches of road that were clean enough to run on. Still more hills than normal (46 ft/mile), but less than Friday's run. I tried to keep a decent pace, but the wind and cold was hard to fight through. Ultimately I got it done. Ended up at 9 miles, 77 min, 8:36 pace, and HR of 134 bpm.

Afterwards, I did the LIIFT4-Back/Biceps workout.

Sunday

I'll be honest. I wasn't looking forward to this one. It iced last night. So the choice was run early in the morning, and do it on icy roads. Or run slightly later in the morning when the ice dissipated a bit because of the sunlight, but the wind picked up tremendously. All the while it was cold. The treadmill called my name. Something about not being able to choose race day conditions called me outside. But yea, am I really going to race when it is -13 and 39 mph wind? Ultimately I sucked it up and headed out the door.

Conditions - ☀️ Clear, Wind 20mph to 39mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 7°F + -1°F; FL - -13°F
End: Temp+Dew = 6°F + -2°F; FL - -13°F

You could really tell the places where the road had been completely iced over only a few hours before. So waiting was definitely the right decision. But man oh man. That wind + cold was brutal. I just tried to keep the legs moving. I also adjusted my route to running on some town roads. Normally the town does a terrible job with clearing their roads, but it was nicer than the village roads. The downside is the roads are tighter with less of a shoulder. So doable during the daytime, but super risky at night. But it gave me some more clean flat-ish roads to run on to try and bring the total gain per mile back towards my normal. Ended up at 42 ft/mile which is still higher than my normal, but closer.

Screen Shot 2022-01-09 at 1.38.57 PM.png

Ultimately the run was ok. I was cold and fighting the wind most of the time, but I got it done. The GAP was nice and even despite the changing terrain and the extreme wind. I felt like overall I put in a good effort. Ended up at 13 miles, 101 min, 7:45 pace, and HR of 140 bpm. The HRvPace relationship is higher than I'd like it to be, but increases in elevation gain and extreme wind will make things more challenging.

Next week is a peak week. I'm doing a 10x400m 5k workout, a T+I+R workout (if outside), and then upping my LR towards 2 hrs. The weather looks better next week with temps in the 10-34 F area. Thursday looks like I might be able to do an outside LT workout with low wind. Hooray! But of course snow on Friday... We'll see how it plays out. Only 7 weeks to go!

I do applaud your village for prioritizing the hills, and wish that was the case here. The not salting for environmental/cost/lazy reasons is a large part of why I run the same 3 miles around campus all the time- it is the only place snow is plowed/shoveled early and it is regularly salted. It is also the best lit place to run in the darkness of winter.

7 Weeks to go - 2022 Princess Challenge Training - Week 7/14

1/4/22 - M - OFF
1/5/22 - T - 2x(4+3+2) @ 3k effort (Treadmill) + LIIFT4-Chest/Tri
1/6/22 - W - 4.7 miles @ Easy (SOG + Windy)
1/7/22 - R - 3 miles @ LT + 3 x 1 miles @ 10k (Treadmill)
1/8/22 - F - 7 miles @ Easy (Jack and Jill)
1/9/22 - Sa - 9 miles @ Easy (Very Windy) + LIIFT4-Back/Biceps
1/10/22 - Su - 13 miles @ LR (Extremely Windy)

Total Run Miles - 53.1 miles
Total Run Time - 7:19 hours
Total Run TSS - x TSS

Total Biking TSS - 0 TSS

Total Strength Time - 1:02 hours

Total Training Time - 8:21 hours
Total TSS - x TSS

Tuesday

If last week's theme was "treadmill", then this week was "Wind". The roads were no where close to being clear enough to run fast on. So treadmill it was. The goal of the workout was 2 sets of 4 min + 3 min + 2 min at 3k effort. I set the treadmill to 9.8 mph (6:08 min/mile pace).

View attachment 637306

The workout was intense at times, but survivable. Happy with the effort overall. In total it was 8 miles, 66 min, 8:12 pace, and HR of 132 bpm.

Afterwards I did the LIIFT4-Chest/Tri workout.

Wednesday

G started basketball, so I had to figure out timing for the run. I considered running in the morning, but honestly waking up at 4:00am to get it done just didn't sound appetizing. Plus, Steph has been in a groove with her morning workouts and I didn't want to break that up. Her practice/game was at 6-7pm. I usually get home at 4:50pm from work, and then start the run around 5:20pm. I was looking for 45 min, so I wouldn't finish in time on the treadmill or running outside and coming home. So Steph came up with the idea of me running to her basketball practice (at the K school). So as soon as I walked in the door it was a literal sprint to get running clothes on and get out the door.

Conditions - 🌨 Light Snow, Wind 19mph to 34mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 13°F + 10°F; FL - -4°F
End: Temp+Dew = 14°F + 11°F; FL - -4°F

Oh... look at that. 34 mph winds. Yeah... Plus it was sub-zero temps. Oh, and the roads were mostly still covered in snow and ice. I'll admit it wasn't a terribly enjoyable run. But I got it done. I ran some laps around the neighborhood and then headed towards G's practice. In total it was 4.7 miles, 44 min, 9:21 pace, and HR of 134 bpm.

G's practice was a lot of fun to watch. She's never played organized basketball before. So it was fun to watch her learn something new, and honestly look completely lost out there. So fun and cute.

Thursday

Pre-run I was talking with my SIL who is on the Village board. I was complaining to her about the conditions of the roads. I've been running for nearly a decade now and the roads have never been this bad before. And honestly, we haven't even had that bad of a winter this year so far from a snow precipitation standpoint. She informed me that this was an intentional decision. They've decided for environmental reasons to use less salt this year, and thus only the hills are getting salt and most other areas are not getting treated at all. She said they did a test run last year in small area of the Village and received virtually no complaints. But they never considered runners as all reasons why people who use the village roads. And realized that maybe there weren't any complaints from runners last year because they just avoided that small area of the village. But now since the roads aren't very clear everywhere, it's more of an issue for runners. Ultimately I said you know we're probably not supposed to be running on the roads, but you can't trust people to keep their sidewalks clear even though that's the rule. She said they may reconsider their decision on using less salt for environmental reasons, or maybe this will be more evidence they should invest in a public track that is heated and cleaned for a space for runners in the winter. So with this news, I realized I probably need to find some small clear areas of road to get some more outdoor mileage in. But after doing some driving around, there just wasn't a good option to run fast in the dark for this workout. So treadmill it is. The workout planned was 3 miles at LT (6:38 min/mile) + 3 x 1 mile at 10k (decided to do descending pacing at 6:27, 6:23, and 6:15).

View attachment 637319

The 3 miles at LT (9 mph/6:40) was challenging, but doable. Felt good to run that fast for that long. Took 5 min at an easy pace, and then it was time for a set of 3 individual miles at 10k pacing. I did the first one at 6:27 (9.3 mph), then the second one at 6:23 (9.4 mph). After finishing that one I was really questioning whether I could finish the workout off at a 6:15 mile (9.6 mph). But I wanted to attack the finish of this workout. I decided I'd just hold on for as long as I could. Laser focused and able to complete it. I was sweating so much, and I was getting a good burning feeling in my lungs. Nice workout overall. I believe the workout ended up at 10.6 miles, 84 min, 7:55 min/mile and HR of 136 bpm.

Friday

So now I've learned I better suck it up and run outside if I can find a small stretch of clean road. Out I went. My hill just near my house was 99% clean, so I went up and down the hill. Over and over and over. It was a Jack and Jill easy run.

Conditions - ☁ Partly Cloudy, Wind 6mph to 11mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 6°F + 1°F; FL - -5°F
End: Temp+Dew = 5°F + 1°F; FL - -5°F

Bonus was a low wind day.

View attachment 637321

I was either running uphill or downhill. There was barely a moment where I was running on flat ground. The run overall ended up at a higher elevation change per mile than I'm used to. Usually I do something in the mid 30s, but this was at 53ft per mile. I like the GAP evenness though. Really locked in to the effort no matter which direction I was heading in. The run overall was 7 miles, 66 min, 9:24 pace, and HR of 130 bpm. Little disappointed in the HR. I know some of it is the intense hill running on this one, but still that feels a little worse of a HRvPace relationship than a few weeks ago before my extended time on the treadmill. I think all of the data has been disrupted because of the recent weather and I've got to just keep doing what I do and see where the chips lie at the end.

Saturday

Woof to the wind!

Conditions - ⛅ Mostly Cloudy, Wind 19mph to 36mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 16°F + 9°F; FL - -1°F
End: Temp+Dew = 18°F + 12°F; FL - -1°F

36 mph wind! I've got this. Goal was 9 miles. Thankfully since it was light out, I could find some other stretches of road that were clean enough to run on. Still more hills than normal (46 ft/mile), but less than Friday's run. I tried to keep a decent pace, but the wind and cold was hard to fight through. Ultimately I got it done. Ended up at 9 miles, 77 min, 8:36 pace, and HR of 134 bpm.

Afterwards, I did the LIIFT4-Back/Biceps workout.

Sunday

I'll be honest. I wasn't looking forward to this one. It iced last night. So the choice was run early in the morning, and do it on icy roads. Or run slightly later in the morning when the ice dissipated a bit because of the sunlight, but the wind picked up tremendously. All the while it was cold. The treadmill called my name. Something about not being able to choose race day conditions called me outside. But yea, am I really going to race when it is -13 and 39 mph wind? Ultimately I sucked it up and headed out the door.

Conditions - ☀ Clear, Wind 20mph to 39mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 7°F + -1°F; FL - -13°F
End: Temp+Dew = 6°F + -2°F; FL - -13°F

You could really tell the places where the road had been completely iced over only a few hours before. So waiting was definitely the right decision. But man oh man. That wind + cold was brutal. I just tried to keep the legs moving. I also adjusted my route to running on some town roads. Normally the town does a terrible job with clearing their roads, but it was nicer than the village roads. The downside is the roads are tighter with less of a shoulder. So doable during the daytime, but super risky at night. But it gave me some more clean flat-ish roads to run on to try and bring the total gain per mile back towards my normal. Ended up at 42 ft/mile which is still higher than my normal, but closer.

View attachment 637326

Ultimately the run was ok. I was cold and fighting the wind most of the time, but I got it done. The GAP was nice and even despite the changing terrain and the extreme wind. I felt like overall I put in a good effort. Ended up at 13 miles, 101 min, 7:45 pace, and HR of 140 bpm. The HRvPace relationship is higher than I'd like it to be, but increases in elevation gain and extreme wind will make things more challenging.

Next week is a peak week. I'm doing a 10x400m 5k workout, a T+I+R workout (if outside), and then upping my LR towards 2 hrs. The weather looks better next week with temps in the 10-34 F area. Thursday looks like I might be able to do an outside LT workout with low wind. Hooray! But of course snow on Friday... We'll see how it plays out. Only 7 weeks to go!

I can empathize with your search for clear pavement to run on. We don't get nearly the snow or cold as you, but our snow has hung around the past week.

I think we've discussed it before, but I guess you don't care to do microspikes? They could really help expand your range to icier sections. I do wear them when it is mixed clear pavement and packed snow and ice. They take a bit to get used to and be confident that they will work, but it's something. I don't run nearly as fast as you, though, so I can see that the experience could be a lot different.

It boggles my mind that you might think your neighborhood would consider a heated outdoor track that is kept clear of snow. You must be paying a heck of an HOA fee!😀

I think we've discussed it before, but I guess you don't care to do microspikes? They could really help expand your range to icier sections. I do wear them when it is mixed clear pavement and packed snow and ice. They take a bit to get used to and be confident that they will work, but it's something. I don't run nearly as fast as you, though, so I can see that the experience could be a lot different.

It's lower on my options list. At this point, I'd probably opt for the treadmill before I put spikes on. I've been able to get what feels like a good workout on the treadmill. But ask me again in a few weeks if I'm still having issues truly gauging fitness levels and maybe I'll change my mind.

It boggles my mind that you might think your neighborhood would consider a heated outdoor track that is kept clear of snow. You must be paying a heck of an HOA fee!😀

Not HOA fees. It's the entire village (like a town or city). I keep trying to put an earworm in her that keeps getting her to think about a public track. I told her it's all the rage in Europe...

https://www.polytan.com/news-2/press-room-news/extraordinary-running-tracks-for-norwegian-athletes/
NYC has some outdoor public tracks, and there are heated sidewalks in MI. She said the new engineering firm they're working with likes to think outside the box. It likely won't happen, but a guy can dream. I've got a nice plot of land right next to my house that would be perfect for it... :rotfl:

As someone who just did a 10K and a half marathon on a track over the weekend, I’d rather have clear roads than an outdoor track. All those left turns were a nightmare (because, of course, I had to pick the only 2 days in a row they don’t switch directions on the track)

As someone who just did a 10K and a half marathon on a track over the weekend, I’d rather have clear roads than an outdoor track. All those left turns were a nightmare (because, of course, I had to pick the only 2 days in a row they don’t switch directions on the track)

I could see that.

It's lower on my options list. At this point, I'd probably opt for the treadmill before I put spikes on. I've been able to get what feels like a good workout on the treadmill. But ask me again in a few weeks if I'm still having issues truly gauging fitness levels and maybe I'll change my mind.
If you want a low- investment way to try this, I did the "screws in shoes" thing the last time it snowed here and was pleased. I spent $4 at the hardware store vs $30 on yaktrax. I went to the local place. asked for sheet metal screws, and borrowed a drill from my stepdad. Put them in an old pair with a tiny bit of life left. Worked fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter