To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

Thanks!

View attachment 205848

Sure did! Don't I look so mean... LOL! Other than the haircut I don't even recognize that person anymore. Of course this was 14 years ago. I've been down to less than 200 since maybe July 2012. I've been happy to keep the weight off and seem much healthier in the 155-170 range. Hoping the same for you.

I believe I have solved the main problem with my jelly legs or right leg imbalance. Cambered streets. While I believed that I was varying my running on the streets enough it seems clear to me that running nearly 5000 miles on the same 3 mile loop has caused some imbalances in my form. Thus, over the last week or so I've been varying my running when safe to try and compensate and potentially build up my right leg. It now seems that whenever I have the sense of weakness in my right leg if I just adjust where I am on the road it makes a difference. Time will tell if this is a long term solution, but I'm finding it to work at the moment. And biomechanically it makes sense why it would be just my right leg when 80% of my running consisted of being on the left side of the road (against traffic) on a cambered street.
Interesting I wonder if camber is affecting me too? I used to have nearly 50/50 GCT, as I've increased my miles I'm now around 48/52... I'll try to vary the side of the road that I run on more frequently too see if that makes any difference. Thanks for the tip :-)

Interesting about your HR info. I just contacted someone who had similar heart surgery as me. She runs a 3:10 marathon, so wondering if she runs high too, but I doubt it.

Question: what do you typically use as your race predictor for those who ask for training plans? You probably go backwards from a goal time. But was just wondering if you use a mixture of calculators like McMillan, VDOT, Reigel, Cameron... Have you seen the new Runners World calculator? It's based off a recent study about recreational runners (Springer Nature was down when I attempted to read it). Where it comes into play is when you put input planned average training mileage, when it switches to Vickers formula vs Reigel's. What do you think about the idea of diminishing returns past 70-75 miles a week for a non-elite runner training for a marathon? Like to hear what you think about that study. An interesting conclusion is that tempo is more important for 5k and 10k than marathon results and slightly more effective than interval training in general.

Thoughts?

I would like to add that I saw this on a recent post on a running blog. Also, funnily, they also discussed BQ standards around the same time you posed your BQ question.

Interesting about your HR info. I just contacted someone who had similar heart surgery as me. She runs a 3:10 marathon, so wondering if she runs high too, but I doubt it.

Question: what do you typically use as your race predictor for those who ask for training plans? You probably go backwards from a goal time. But was just wondering if you use a mixture of calculators like McMillan, VDOT, Reigel, Cameron... Have you seen the new Runners World calculator? It's based off a recent study about recreational runners (Springer Nature was down when I attempted to read it). Where it comes into play is when you put input planned average training mileage, when it switches to Vickers formula vs Reigel's. What do you think about the idea of diminishing returns past 70-75 miles a week for a non-elite runner training for a marathon? Like to hear what you think about that study. An interesting conclusion is that tempo is more important for 5k and 10k than marathon results and slightly more effective than interval training in general.

Thoughts?

I would like to add that I saw this on a recent post on a running blog. Also, funnily, they also discussed BQ standards around the same time you posed your BQ question.

Just so you know, I'm not ignoring this post. I've been working my way through this paper and found some very interesting things. It will take me some time to give you a full review.

Great information! The graph says it all.

I'm seeing more and more value in the Hanson's method. So instead of fussing about trying to get close to the prescribed paces, I'm really aiming for them this cycle, fast or slow.

One more thought that I had about jelly legs vs. concrete legs: One is primarily manifesting in swing phase (non-weight bearing), and the other -for me- in stance phase (single-limb weight bearing). So in one case, muscle weakness/imbalance affects control of foot placement before and just after weight acceptance, the other muscle weakness/imbalance affects weight acceptance and push off. So unless you were controlling every step as if on uneven ground, the road camber could absolutely cause issues. I believe sometimes it can be up to 30 degrees from horizontal for drainage. Of course, if you have a leg length discrepancy on the right side and you live in the US, you're in luck lol.

Love this thread for the SCIENCE!

Just so you know, I'm not ignoring this post. I've been working my way through this paper and found some very interesting things. It will take me some time to give you a full review.

Haha! I didn't think you were ignoring my post. But when I saw the Runners World calculator being disected with a link to the article, I immediately thought you'd be interested in it. Something for you to chew on during an easy run. ;)

Haha! I didn't think you were ignoring my post. But when I saw the Runners World calculator being disected with a link to the article, I immediately thought you'd be interested in it. Something for you to chew on during an easy run. ;)

Just like one of those Energizer Bunnies. Get me started and I'll just keep going and going and going...

Thanks! Remember to look not only at her raw data HR, but more importantly adjusted for resting heart rate and max heart rate (like Heart Rate Reserve). Adjusting the values for these components will give you the closest comparison.

Question: what do you typically use as your race predictor for those who ask for training plans? You probably go backwards from a goal time. But was just wondering if you use a mixture of calculators like McMillan, VDOT, Reigel, Cameron...

I use Hansons formula that was adjusted from the table provided in the book. On occasions where people give me distances that don't match something I have available in Hansons (like @roxymama 's 15K), then I use McMillan to fill in the gaps. My assumption when using either of these calculators is that you must be "fully trained" before it is reasonable to meet the predicted value. What entails "fully trained" depends on the distance, but for a large majority of people the marathon typically falls under the category of not "fully trained" and thus they don't see the expected time from the traditional calculators.

Have you seen the new Runners World calculator? It's based off a recent study about recreational runners (Springer Nature was down when I attempted to read it).

I have seen it, but haven't look at it extensively until today.

Like to hear what you think about that study.

Ask and you shall receive. I'll say I am willing to quote and give data more freely for this paper because it is open source and available to everyone.

"An empirical study of race times in recreational endurance runners"

Sample size - 2311 people in the original set. 2164 people in the final data set with removals. In total, 1387 5K times, 946 10K times, 1579 HM times, 1022 M times. But the data set used to create the line of best fit used less data (884 5K, 595 10K, 989 HM, and 639 Marathon). This is a significantly sized study for the intent and much larger than most studies on this topic. However, most other smaller studies don't use the same collection method which in this case necessitates the large sample size.

Sample collection - :crazy2: An internet questionnaire open to anyone using slate.com article to find participants. The article speaks to potential issues of representativeness and selection bias. I'm not terribly concerned about the selection bias. The representativeness is more closely representative to the real recreational runner than other scientific studies, but it still isn't a good sample. The male median time in this study was 3:28 for the marathon versus 4:11 for NYC marathon, and 4:16 for Running in the USA. The female median time in this study was 3:54, 4:38 in NYC, and 4:41 in Running in the USA. So while closer than other studies, this data set population is still roughly 45 (!!!) minutes faster than the average in NYC or the average marathon finishing time in the US. Also, keep these times in mind for later.

But I don't believe they discussed what I find to be the most important issue enough: an internet questionnaire is self-reported. Studies with self-reported data tend to be less accurate because they rely on the person filling out the information to give correct information. Some people lie, some people make mistakes, some people misinterpret questions, and others just give their "best answer". All of these potential issues could skew the data set. They use "tempo" runs as an example of why there is no better method of data. They state that the alternative to self-reporting (particularly this questionnaire) is to have a running coach visit participants, watch tempo run, and verify the running log to determine whether the subject did run a tempo during most weeks. They claim that this isn't feasible and reliably wouldn't give any different results than self-report. And since their conclusion matched the data (well duh?!?!), then they must be right on their study methodology. So because the conclusion you came up with based on the data, is in agreement with the data you based the conclusion on, then your methodology is correct. Ummm... OK....

Anyways, they state there isn't a better alternative (or at least the single alternative they give is a running coach who physically visits everyone). I can offer another one. Strava. The website allows many different platforms of collection GPS data into one site. You could conceivably form a Strava group with several thousand participants and record their data from there. It would take more work, but would give a much more accurate data set. This way it is much easier to identify false data, and much easier to collect actual values based on performance of training and in race. In fact Strava has already done this with the 2016 London Marathon, so it can be done (although their study has issues as well).

Questionnaire - Alright, so let's give up on the self-reported data set and just evaluate the questionnaire on it's own. I am viewing the actual questionnaire posted rather than the text description found in the paper. The actual questionnaire was available in the supplementary documents.

Age, Gender, Height, Weight - None of these would likely be answered incorrectly except for maybe a mistake.

Are you an endurance runner or a speed demon?
Endurance Runner 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Speed Demon

So this is a self described description of a person. But the best I can tell from the end result they didn't use this data in any meaningful way.

What type of footwear do you wear? Normal, Minimalist, Vibrams, sandals, or barefoot

They threw out anyone in Vibrams, sandals, or barefoot (small sample size). I have no issue with that.

Recent race information (including a note that not races you were pacing a friend - to imply an actual race)
Time, Distance - Both self explanatory

How difficult was the course?
Very difficult - very hilly, hot or windy
Difficult - hilly, hot, or windy
Average
Fast - cool, calm, and flat
Very fast - downhill or tailwind

This is interesting. They are doing this because they intend on adjusting the data to the middle. If very difficult then give an adjustment to make it average. If very fast, then give an adjustment to make it average. Since this is self-reporting then the difficulty of the course averaged over all participants should be average. There should be equally very fast and equally very difficult. Since the entire data set is available, I verified that this is indeed true. All distances recorded an average value of 2.9-3.1 (which is "average"). Also viewed as a histogram (since averaging descriptive values is not always a clear cut method), also shows that the "average" is the middle as well as flanked on both sides with near equivalent values. This is all to say that their data set appears good from a self-reported standpoint for difficulty of course.

How would you rate your fitness?

They threw out anyone that wasn't well prepared. Fine with me. Not a good idea to build a robust calculator with people not at their respective fitness level.

What was your typical weekly mileage leading up to this race?

An interesting and very loaded question in my mind. What does typical mean? Average, presumably. But for how long prior to the desired race distance? 5 weeks, 6 weeks, 10 weeks? There is no guidance to say everyone answered this question the same. How is the mileage divided up amongst the week? Does that matter? I'd argue yes, but that isn't captured here. So someone who runs 7 days a week totaling 50 miles, is the same as someone who runs one day a week at 50 miles. Obviously these aren't the same, but for this data set they would be.

What was the maximum number of miles you ran in a single week during training?

Much more straight-forward question. What was your max mileage in a single week. The interesting thing is according to them the data (or end result) was nearly the same when viewed through the scope of max mileage and weekly mileage. Which means to say that someone who has a max of 40 is commonly in the same weekly average as other people with a max of 40. So since the max mileage and weekly mileage agree, and the max mileage is straight-forward, then it would lead me to believe (but not conclude) that the weekly mileage is probably accurate enough.

Did you run sprints, intervals, or hill repeats most weeks during training?

Alright, so let's try something answer this question in your mind. Alright got your answer. Ok...

Seems straight-forward. But is it? How much sprints? What constitutes "most weeks"? If I do an 18 week training plan, and 7 weeks are spent on sprint intervals. Is that "most weeks"?

How did the authors define this question in the paper? "Interval training is short and intense periods of max effort followed by equal length or longer recovery periods of less strenuous exercise." So why didn't they write that in the questionnaire? Seems easy enough to understand. Why leave it to interpretation?

But here's a twist. What about run/walk? If you do it, did you initially answer yes to sprints, intervals, or hill training? Because by my definition run/walk is "intervals" and I would state that it agrees with the definition as well with short intense periods followed by equal length or longer recovery (in fact that sounds like run/walk to a T).

So this begs the question, did my interpretation change your answer? If it did, that's a problem. Because it means people can interpret the question differently and may be giving inaccurate responses.

Again I think more guidance would help yield more accurate answers.

Did you do tempo runs most weeks during training? (If you don't know what a tempo run is, you probably didn't run one!) *This parenthetical statement actually appears on the questionnaire.

Alright, so let's try something again answer this question in your mind. Alright got your answer. Ok...

Well then. If I don't know what a tempo run is, then I didn't run one. Seems to be pushing people to the answer "no" if one can't define a tempo. And guess what, I find a "tempo" run to be VERY subjective. Can anyone define "tempo" for me? Well the paper references another paper for "tempo" and even offers their own description in the text of the paper, but didn't give the same guidance on the questionnaire. So what was the paper's definition of "tempo"? It's defined as a "steady pace at or above the anaerobic threshold". Quick who knows what their "anaerobic threshold pace" is? Geez, this is getting tough isn't it. So we went from what is "tempo" which could be 5K tempo, or 10K tempo, or HM tempo, or M tempo, to something called anaerobic threshold pace. So what's anaerobic threshold? Just so happens to be also known as your lactate threshold. So this would be a pace between 10K and HM for most of us.

Alright, so now we know that "tempo" is defined as doing runs between 10K to HM. Did anyone change their answer based on this additional information?

Well wait, the paper also cites another article (a Runner's World article) that further defines a "tempo" run as the following: "This is the effort level just outside your comfort zone—you can hear your breathing, but you're not gasping for air. If you can talk easily, you’re not in the tempo zone, and if you can’t talk at all, you’re above the zone. It should be at an effort somewhere in the middle, so you can talk in broken words. Pace is not an effective means for running a tempo workout, as there are many variables that can affect pace including heat, wind, fatigue, and terrain."

Alright, anyone change their answer again or for the first time?

The big question is why didn't the original questionnaire include these further definitions if the paper is willing to make conclusions based on them if never defined to the participants. Way too much ambiguity for me.

Alright, so that's all the questions they asked for the paper. But I believe they're missing a very large piece of the puzzle. I'm a big believer that training mileage is an antiquated way to look at training. Training is two main pieces: relative training intensity (or pace) and duration (or time). These together create "miles" or distance. So there is a definite missing piece to the data set when the authors are looking for weekly training miles or weekly max mileage. Is someone who runs 50 miles at 9:00 min/mile the same as someone who runs 50 miles at 5:00 min/mile? Are two people who run 50 miles at 9:00 min/mile, but with one person with all 50 at 9:00 min/mile and another person at 8:00 and 10:00 50/50 the same? Remember that the calculator that they formed takes into account weekly mileage, but the questions about tempo and intervals was not included in the calculation. Physiologically it seems their data is missing a large piece.

Conclusions
It is typically believed that training volume is more important for distances such as the marathon than for the 5 and 10 km (km) distance [18– 20]. In contrast, we found that the association between training
mileage and race velocity is similar across race distances.

I agree with this conclusion. Regardless of distance more miles (if done appropriately) will make you a faster runner. Or is it, that faster runners do more miles in training? A little of both. Which is again why it would be important to have the subjects report weekly duration of training (in addition to mileage).

Similarly, interval training is thought to be of most benefit for shorter distances, with tempo runs seen to be of particular value for long races: typical training plans include more frequent interval training, but less emphasis on tempos, for 10 km races than for marathons [21– 23]. We found that tempo runs were more strongly associated with velocity for short distances and that interval training had a similar association with velocity irrespective of distance.

So remember intervals = max effort runs with periods of recovery and tempo = steady paced runs between 10K to HM pace. So sprints are good for short distance and tempo for longer. But their conclusion is that tempo runs were more strongly associated with short distances and that interval training was similar across all distances. But what does the data say?

People with Tempo runs vs those who don't tempo run
Marathon = -3.5%
HM = -3.6%
10K = -6.4%
5K = -4.7%

So yes, 5K and 10K have more improvement, but there is still a significant amount of improvement with tempo runs for M and HM. A -3.5% improvement in a marathon is a 3:59 vs a 3:51. Anyone want an 8 min improvement? Yes, please. So while the 5K and 10K is more, the HM and M is still a healthy improvement. But this begs the question. Are those who perform tempo runs more experienced and done more marathons/training plans in their running career? And thus would those who run tempo runs tend to be faster runners in general or those looking to push themselves to a physiological limit? These numbers just say those who are faster run tempo runs, but doesn't say that because they ran tempo runs they are faster. 57% of subjects reported running tempo runs.

People with Intervals vs those who don't run tempo
Marathon = -2.9%
HM = -3.0%
10K = -1.1%
5K = -2.5%

Pretty even across the board. Still a nice improvement or again faster runners tend to run intervals. 52% of subjects reported running intervals.

Our other major finding was that although standard race prediction tools based on the Riegel formula work well for distances up to a half marathon, they substantially underestimate time for the marathon. Given the importance of pacing for marathon distance, this finding has considerable implications. Our novel marathon prediction model is straightforward and could easily be implemented on any website.

So they claim their calculator is better than the previous version.

There are 310 data points in their model 1 prediction (one other race) and 171 data points in the model 2 prediction. The data is further broken down into percentiles of 5%. So for model 1 that means 15 data points and for model 2 9 data points. Getting a lot smaller, right. So when evaluating the actual data I would conclude that the new model (1 and 2) is better than Riegel for everything in the top 67% of their data set, when evaluating the data as raw data. For model 1 that means everyone faster than a expected marathon of 3:52 should use the new calculator and for model 2 a 3:53. However, if you are slower than a 3:52 or 3:53, then the classic Riegel calculator is still better. If you want to say that avoiding a too fast start is the absolute paramount then the time cutoff is more like 4:11-4:14 (faster use the new calc, and slower use the classic calc). Now remember the NYC and Running in the USA averages? They were roughly 4:11-4:38. So essentially, the average runner should still use the classic calculator because the new calculator isn't as good at predicting average to slower times based on those completed in NYC or Running in the USA. Looks like to me they missed the mark with the original data set, and thus when they created a calculator it badly misjudges the times of those in the bottom 50% of marathon runners (but the classic can do those better, or at least according to the limited data set available in their original values).

An interesting conclusion is that tempo is more important for 5k and 10k than marathon results and slightly more effective than interval training in general.

Again, the conclusion should be that faster 5K/10K runners tend to do "tempo" runs. Whereas, the runners who do "tempo" runs and those who don't don't have significantly different HM/M times. It doesn't mean that the "tempo" runs actually caused the difference. Again because, were these people right in that they even do tempo runs? And two, do more experienced runners and faster runners just more likely to do "tempo" runs because they're pushing their physical limits of improvement? Does the data imply tempo made them faster?

Same thing to consider when evaluating the interval conclusion as well. Did everyone answer appropriately based on their real information vs a misinterpretation of the question? And does the runners have faster times actually mean the intervals actually did it, or was it just a coincidence based on another variable that wasn't elicited based on the questionnaire?

They answer this by saying well the data looks like what we expected based on physiological answers from other papers, thus our data is right. But does that really confirm it, or is it just propagating the same wrong conclusion without confirming anything.

What do you think about the idea of diminishing returns past 70-75 miles a week for a non-elite runner training for a marathon?

This is a tricky one. This paper doesn't make that conclusion so I'm guessing the blog you read did make this point. Again, is it appropriate to evaluate the training plan based on weekly mileage? Or would duration with paces be a better way to decide what is and isn't appropriate. How about 70 miles a week, but all in one day? I believe how you run those 70 miles would determine whether it's appropriate. I would say that running roughly 10-11 hours per week is a nice cutoff for non-elite / elite, but this value is based off no data. It's purely a guess on my part.

But that not withstanding, what is "non-elite"? What is the cutoff? Top 10%? Top 1%? Top 0.1%? Does someone who is non-elite and run less than 70 miles limiting themselves to non-elite status merely because they aren't running 100 miles per week? Does "elite" mean having the ability to run 7 days a week, multiple times a day, and being able to take naps and nutrition throughout the day and nothing about the actual marathon race time?

How about looking at the data set in the paper? Can we learn anything from them?

Screen Shot 2016-11-10 at 9.19.06 PM.png

Blue = Marathon, Red = HM, Green = 10K, Yellow = 5K.

So someone training for a 5K would appear to max around 80 miles with diminishing returns.
For 10K - Around 90 miles
For HM - The curve never bottoms out up to 120 miles
For M - The curve never bottoms out up to 120 miles.

So for the fastest times on the chart (which may or may not be "elite" depending on definition) the marathon does not have diminishing returns up to 120 miles.

Let's say 2:30 would constitute "elite" for a male marathon runner. That's a pretty fast time. Not world class, but nationally competitive. Only 6 males reported a marathon faster than 2:30. Their weekly mileage was 100, 115, 120, 70, 67, and 95. Is the data real? Who knows, again it's self reported. But it would appear that everyone of them is doing some pretty high mileage. What's the average mileage for those between 2:30-3:00? There are 79 subjects. They average a weekly mileage of 62.3 miles (with a min of 25 (!!!) and max of 100).

There are 22 subjects averaging over 75 miles per week. The average marathon time is 2:48. The next 22 subjects with the highest average weekly mileage average 72.2 miles per week and have an average marathon time of 2:54. The next 22 subjects average 62.3 miles and have an average marathon time of 2:51. Lastly, the next 22 highest average weekly mileage runners average 59.9 miles and have an average marathon time of 3:15.

So,

Over 75 miles = 2:48
72.2 miles = 2:54
62.3 miles = 2:51
59.9 miles = 3:15

What does the data mean? That on average people who run 62-75+ miles run roughly the same marathon time between 2:48-2:54. But somewhere around 60-65 miles lies a point at which slower times start to catch up with training mileage. This is a backwards way to do it and based on only 88 data points, but we start to see a trend. You can see it in the blue line as well with the bend becoming more pronounced the closer you get to and lower than 60 miles per week.

So how does one build up their training weekly mileage and still avoid injury? Lots of slow easy running mixed into weeks with some SOS workouts. Like my proposed plans of 3 SOS workouts with 80% easy. This would seem to agree with my mindset that if you want to be the best endurance runner you can be you need to maximize running economy which comes with lots and lots of miles (or as I like to put it lots and lots of time at the right paces).

Great minds think alike I guess. Might have to add this blog to my normal reading material.

Alright, so those are my conclusions. Overall I think it is a good paper. And a definite step in the right direction, however based on the data and shortcomings there are definite improvements to be made. Thoughts?

I'm seeing more and more value in the Hanson's method. So instead of fussing about trying to get close to the prescribed paces, I'm really aiming for them this cycle, fast or slow.

One more thought that I had about jelly legs vs. concrete legs: One is primarily manifesting in swing phase (non-weight bearing), and the other -for me- in stance phase (single-limb weight bearing). So in one case, muscle weakness/imbalance affects control of foot placement before and just after weight acceptance, the other muscle weakness/imbalance affects weight acceptance and push off. So unless you were controlling every step as if on uneven ground, the road camber could absolutely cause issues. I believe sometimes it can be up to 30 degrees from horizontal for drainage. Of course, if you have a leg length discrepancy on the right side and you live in the US, you're in luck lol.

Thanks! Seems like there is something to that Hansons method (or in general train slow method). Thanks for the explanation of the phases of running. Sounds like we agree that the imbalance could be caused by the road conditions. And it has seemingly improved for me by being more conscious of it.

Hooray for Science!

Ah great analysis in just a day! I didn't get to read the paper before posting my question since the site was down for maintenance so had no idea how they obtained their data. Interesting. I did a quick read of your thoughts, but I'll go back to really parse through it when I have some more time. So I gather their tempo = Hansons strength. Agree that Strava or a similar app would be an improvement over reporter bias.

Regarding the marathon time, it was addressed in an accompanying Runners World article (more like acknowledged):
To devise a calculator based on the performances of more typical runners (non world-record-holders), Vickers collected training and race-results data via web survey from 1,022 recreational marathoners. His subjects had an average marathon finish time of 3:28 (men) and 3:54 (women), roughly 50 minutes faster than average national times collected by Running USA, but still far from elite status. And, the Vickers data set included 150 runners with marathon times over 4:30. “That’s a reasonably large number for statistical analysis,” he says, “and much larger than many other studies.”

Yes, the diminishing returns came from the blog, which was referencing a book Lore of Running, basically less aerobic improvement and higher risk of injury at high mileage.

According to the Runners World calculator, I need to run about 67-68 mpw to hit Reigel's predicted time. :scared1: Makes sense based on your analysis!

Anyways, hope this didn't take away from your work/family time. Just thought it would be a fun exercise for you and of course enlightening for me. Can't wait to really go through your comments ....

Also, the blog just did a post about what it means to be sub-elite and referenced a previous roundtable about what it means to be elite...

It's a women's focused running blog, which is right up my alley! They don't go as in depth as your statistical analysis, but as a layperson, I really enjoy it.

So I gather their tempo = Hansons strength

Yes, according to Daniels book what he refers to as "threshold" or we call tempo/anaerobic threshold/lactate threshold is very closely tracked to Half Marathon Strength or essentially take your Half Marathon time and subtract 10 seconds per mile.

Regarding the marathon time, it was addressed in an accompanying Runners World article (more like acknowledged):
To devise a calculator based on the performances of more typical runners (non world-record-holders), Vickers collected training and race-results data via web survey from 1,022 recreational marathoners. His subjects had an average marathon finish time of 3:28 (men) and 3:54 (women), roughly 50 minutes faster than average national times collected by Running USA, but still far from elite status. And, the Vickers data set included 150 runners with marathon times over 4:30. “That’s a reasonably large number for statistical analysis,” he says, “and much larger than many other studies.”

Agreed, and this statement appears in their supplementary document as well (an additional 10 pages of information including the actual calculation used in model 1 and 2 with all constants and variables). Although from their raw data set that was used in the creation of their data line, I count 137 subjects from 4:15 and above. The issue comes from their verification data set they use to verify whether their models outperform the classic.

Screen Shot 2016-11-11 at 7.12.37 AM.png

If I am interpreting this table correctly, they are using the verification data set to see whether their models outperform the classic. And you can see at the 80th percentile is where Rigel starts predicting more accurately (without predicting too fast). But the 80th percentile in the prediction model is roughly 4:11 which means that around the average marathon runner the classic models still creates a closer prediction model than the new ones. I would venture to guess they would agree more data, even though they had some, would help their model on the back end to actually get the recreational marathon runner more represented.

Yes, the diminishing returns came from the blog, which was referencing a book Lore of Running, basically less aerobic improvement and higher risk of injury at high mileage.

According to the Runners World calculator, I need to run about 67-68 mpw to hit Reigel's predicted time. :scared1: Makes sense based on your analysis!

Like I said, Running Economy is almost every endurance runner's biggest weakness. And that comes with more and more running at easy pacing such that it doesn't cause injuries. Although as I found out, there is a limit on the easy running as well and instead of what I did (1.5 hr easy days) instead one should do double days (45 + 45) and run 7 days a week to get to the higher mileage.

Anyways, hope this didn't take away from your work/family time. Just thought it would be a fun exercise for you and of course enlightening for me. Can't wait to really go through your comments ....

Don't worry, I worked on it during lunch at work, thought about it during my run this evening, and then finished it up when everyone else was sleeping.

Also, the blog just did a post about what it means to be sub-elite and referenced a previous roundtable about what it means to be elite...

It's a women's focused running blog, which is right up my alley! They don't go as in depth as your statistical analysis, but as a layperson, I really enjoy it.

I'll have to read that as well.

Interesting article. Here's how I feel about it. If a race has an "elite" corral, then they are effectively saying that this group of people are going to be the ones who can win. Because generally top 3 is based on gun time and an elite corral gets a head start. So I think "elite" should be a race by race label given out AFTER all participants have registered/at time of corral assignment for an already designated # of people OR specific proof of time limit. There are effectively two races going on....Race 1) who will cross the finish first...only participants are those in the first corral to go off. Race 2) chip time...just be faster than your age group no matter where you start.
So that's how humble middle-packer me feels...are you in the lead corral...congrats, for that given race you are top dogs. I realize my opinion is subjective just as all titles are. And I'm overly generous.

I will say that I came from a dance world where there were a ton of different levels of competition. And each level competed against only it's own level and there was a first place for each level. It'd be like every corral having a winner and being thought of as separate races. So that's where my idea above comes from. If you are good enough to get yourself into the "champions level" or "pro level" or "advanced open invitational level" (ugh so many levels) depending on the certain dance contest than you are that level...that is what you are.

Sorry if I went way off topic. :)

PS I made it all the way through your study comments @DopeyBadger and I'm glad you brought up the miles vs time being a very important component. Of course a faster runner can get more miles in weekly. You can get in over 8 miles in an hour when your booking it...I can get 6. So depending on how much time someone is devoting to their training...faster can go farther unless slower puts in more hours. I agree with you it's a variable that should be looked into further. (then again, if I added a few more days to my training I probably would get faster and then added days + faster miles = even more miles.) I dunno where I'm going with this. I'm high on a free office cupcake I should not have eaten. (I blame runner hunger)

Although as I found out, there is a limit on the easy running as well and instead of what I did (1.5 hr easy days) instead one should do double days (45 + 45) and run 7 days a week to get to the higher mileage.

Why are double days better than one long easy run? Sorry if it was mentioned earlier!

Can't believe you knocked that analysis out over a lunch break!

Why are double days better than one long easy run? Sorry if it was mentioned earlier!

Can't believe you knocked that analysis out over a lunch break!

Pftiz mentions it in his book. He specifically states that running easy days as long runs rather than two shorter ones on easy days is not the same. He claims that the longer easy run moves into a new zone the longer you run it and thus it no longer becomes easy (even though it feels easy). The shorter runs elicit the correct recovery of an easy run, whereas the long one doesn't elicit the exact same benefits. Essentially running too long on easy days doesn't allow you to reap the benefits of the hard days like you would if you did two short runs.

Thanks! It's my job to read and evaluate scientific articles quickly. Although I did spend more time on this one to be more thourough.

Pftiz mentions it in his book. He specifically states that running easy days as long runs rather than two shorter ones on easy days is not the same. He claims that the longer easy run moves into a new zone the longer you run it and thus it no longer becomes easy (even though it feels easy). The shorter runs elicit the correct recovery of an easy run, whereas the long one doesn't elicit the exact same benefits. Essentially running too long on easy days doesn't allow you to reap the benefits of the hard days like you would if you did two short runs.

Thanks! It's my job to read and evaluate scientific articles quickly. Although I did spend more time on this one to be more thourough.

I love seeing your thought process! I am trying to become far more skeptical when I read these articles, but you are at another level :-)

So interestingly enough I do have a 10mm difference between my right leg and my left. Do you think that the combination of leg length, road camber, ankle stiffness, and poor glute activation are all causing my concrete legs and hip fatigue? If so, how would I go about fixing these issues without causing other problems? Lastly I tend to wear out the outside edges of my shoes, especially mid foot, is this also part of my ankle stiffness and thus related to everything above?

Also agree I love science!! Running and science seem to go together like beer and pizza, or coffee and donuts!!

I love seeing your thought process! I am trying to become far more skeptical when I read these articles, but you are at another level :-)

It's all about evaluating the data and making your own conclusions. Then reviewing their conclusions and why they wrote them that way.

Look at this table again.

Screen Shot 2016-11-11 at 7.12.37 AM.png

When comparing the models why did they use percentiles?

It's because each of the data sets for model 1, model 2, and Riegel are not exactly equivalent even though they all come from the validation data set (not each model had each value). This was one way to do it. The other was to set 5 or 10 min blocks of time to see the differences within those, but keeping the blocks of time (i.e. 4:05-4:15) the same across all comparisons. However, that could cause an imbalance in each block when comparing. So, thus they used percentile. But that means that model 1's percentile could be 3:00-3:36, and model 2 3:15-3:27, and Riegel 2:45-3:17. Is that more appropriate by having even percentage of numbers? To me it masks the data unintentionally, not allowing to show the reader that the 80th percentile is actually 4:11, not something like 5:00-5:30.

catching up after wine & dine trip and glad to read your leg isn't anything. I run on the same road a lot and do vary the side I'm on to avoid always having the same leg be on the inside. The slants aren't bad but are there so varying the side I run on does help with any unevenness to either leg. Hope you changing it up too helps your jelly leg.

Interesting article. Here's how I feel about it. If a race has an "elite" corral, then they are effectively saying that this group of people are going to be the ones who can win. Because generally top 3 is based on gun time and an elite corral gets a head start. So I think "elite" should be a race by race label given out AFTER all participants have registered/at time of corral assignment for an already designated # of people OR specific proof of time limit. There are effectively two races going on....Race 1) who will cross the finish first...only participants are those in the first corral to go off. Race 2) chip time...just be faster than your age group no matter where you start.
So that's how humble middle-packer me feels...are you in the lead corral...congrats, for that given race you are top dogs. I realize my opinion is subjective just as all titles are. And I'm overly generous.

I will say that I came from a dance world where there were a ton of different levels of competition. And each level competed against only it's own level and there was a first place for each level. It'd be like every corral having a winner and being thought of as separate races. So that's where my idea above comes from. If you are good enough to get yourself into the "champions level" or "pro level" or "advanced open invitational level" (ugh so many levels) depending on the certain dance contest than you are that level...that is what you are.

Sorry if I went way off topic. :)

PS I made it all the way through your study comments @DopeyBadger and I'm glad you brought up the miles vs time being a very important component. Of course a faster runner can get more miles in weekly. You can get in over 8 miles in an hour when your booking it...I can get 6. So depending on how much time someone is devoting to their training...faster can go farther unless slower puts in more hours. I agree with you it's a variable that should be looked into further. (then again, if I added a few more days to my training I probably would get faster and then added days + faster miles = even more miles.) I dunno where I'm going with this. I'm high on a free office cupcake I should not have eaten. (I blame runner hunger)

Interesting thought process on defining "elite" and probably a good standard to use. Wouldn't it be interesting if races had award levels based on POT. That would make it more competitive (or fulfilling) for those in other divisions (other than age group/gender splits).

The miles VS pace/duration argument is a definite one that I feel once people start to change their thought process from miles to pace/duration they become more enlightened about the training process.

For example,

-Two runners run 50 miles per week.

Are they the same?

-Nope. Because the duration matters. Runner A could be done in 5 hours and Runner B in 10 hours.

Which did more work?

-Runner B because they ran for 10 hours. So if Runner A wants to match Runner B's work, then they also need to run for 10 hours.

Runner A and Runner B both run for 10 hours. Which is on the better training plan?

-Depends on the relative fitness training paces.

If Runner A is a 2:30 marathoner and Runner B is a 5:00 marathoner, but they both train for 10 hours, are they the same?

-Maybe. But what if both Runner A and B trained at a 13:00 min/mile average for 10 hours. Well then Runner B would be more appropriate to their relative training fitness level, whereas Runner A would not be eliciting the same benefits.

If Runner A and B are both 50 miles per week, 10 hours, and 3:00 marathoners, are their training plans the same?

-Nope. Now it depends on the easy/hard split and how they accumulate the 50 miles.

If Runner A and B are both 50 miles per week, 10 hours, 3:00 marathoners, and the same easy/hard split, are their training plans the same?

-Not necessarily. How about nutrition? How about post-run recovery? How about the week prior and post? etc. etc. etc.

As you can see, a training plan is never as simple as miles. Although for a large majority of runners, it starts and stops in the conversation with how many miles per week?

catching up after wine & dine trip and glad to read your leg isn't anything. I run on the same road a lot and do vary the side I'm on to avoid always having the same leg be on the inside. The slants aren't bad but are there so varying the side I run on does help with any unevenness to either leg. Hope you changing it up too helps your jelly leg.

Thanks! I am finding I am getting stronger by varying up my side of my road. And since then the feeling has subsided. Although to be fair, I haven't gotten into the intense portion of the training cycle. So we'll see if it continues to be good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter