Tired of SSR being blamed

If what you want is to stay at the BC this year because you are bringing your growing gills nephew and next year you want GF because its going to be a more adulty romantic trip, and the next year you want the Contemporary because it will work great with all the stroller laden MK trips you are taking, and then the Poly - because that was where you had your honeymoon, and then you want SSR because you think you'll be at DTD a lot - you are far better off renting points or using cash through CRO.

This is exactly why we bought DVC. We would not have bought if it limited us to just one resort or if the point value of a different resort higher than others 'paid'. Sometimes we take other people and use low value resorts, sometimes we go alone but for several weeks and use low resorts. Sometimes we miss a year then spend 3 weeks in theme park resorts and sometimes we mix it up. That's what we love about our points, the flexibility. We have split site holidays, extra long holidays, studio, 1bd and 2bd holidays. That's what we understood we could do when we bought and that's exactly what we do. Our 350 points sure do work hard for a living.

Honestly, I don't think DVC is a good fit for those people. I think DVC is a good fit for someone who doesn't mind staying at the same resort every stay, booking at least eight months out - more if you want studios or specialty rooms like BWV standard - and who sees it as a plus if they log in at seven months and can get a different resort for variety sake - if they want to.

If what you want is to stay at the BC this year because you are bringing your growing gills nephew and next year you want GF because its going to be a more adulty romantic trip, and the next year you want the Contemporary because it will work great with all the stroller laden MK trips you are taking, and then the Poly - because that was where you had your honeymoon, and then you want SSR because you think you'll be at DTD a lot - you are far better off renting points or using cash through CRO.

There are exceptions - people who don't mind moving mid stay may be happier. People willing to waitlist and stalk might be happier. But you need to be realistic - DVC is a timeshare, timeshare means you may not get what you want if you try and trade around. And with a points based timeshare, you may not be able to reliably get what you want even at home at eleven months - if you are looking for a VGF studio in early December.

It’s a very good fit for those people- if they have enough points for 1 beds. However it always helps if those people wouldn’t mind in the unlikely event they only have their home resort to stay at, and in 1 beds that would be so unlikely, I personally have never seen it arise.

It’s a very good fit for those people- if they have enough points for 1 beds. However it always helps if those people wouldn’t mind in the unlikely event they only have their home resort to stay at, and in 1 beds that would be so unlikely, I personally have never seen it arise.
Not the people I'm talking about. The people I'm talking about want what they want when they want it. This year a studio, the next a Grand Villa. Then a two bedroom. I.e. they expect flexibility in the system to meet their desires (and ability to manage points) in resort choice and room size. Being limited to one bedrooms is no more pleasant than being limited to one resort.

We considered purchasing SSR because of the cost difference, but it's the one resort that just doesn't "speak" to us and I know we would feel disappointed if that's the only resort we could ever book due to availability.

We also considered OKW for similar reasons. But, despite enjoying the atmosphere at OKW, we absolutely adore Animal Kingdom Villas! So, we took the advice to purchase where we wanted to stay (AKV) and also the advice to purchase more points than we thought we would need. We originally were considering 100 points, but decided on 220 so we'd have enough for 1BR villas and perhaps the ability to book at some of the more point "hungry" resorts from time to time.

We'll be very happy to stay at AKV if we can't get anything else at 7 months. That said, I'm seeing plenty of availability at many resorts for 1BRs (and even some Poly studios) seven months from now. We have a fair amount of flexibility for when we travel. So I anticipate that we'll be able to try out some of the other resorts on occasion by booking a 1BR at less busy times. When it comes to the most popular times (such as Fall) we'll be very happy to stay at our home resort if there's nothing to switch to at the 7 month mark.

We considered purchasing SSR because of the cost difference, but it's the one resort that just doesn't "speak" to us and I know we would feel disappointed if that's the only resort we could ever book due to availability.

We also considered OKW for similar reasons. But, despite enjoying the atmosphere at OKW, we absolutely adore Animal Kingdom Villas! So, we took the advice to purchase where we wanted to stay (AKV) and also the advice to purchase more points than we thought we would need. We originally were considering 100 points, but decided on 220 so we'd have enough for 1BR villas and perhaps the ability to book at some of the more point "hungry" resorts from time to time.

We'll be very happy to stay at AKV if we can't get anything else at 7 months. That said, I'm seeing plenty of availability at many resorts for 1BRs (and even some Poly studios) seven months from now. We have a fair amount of flexibility for when we travel. So I anticipate that we'll be able to try out some of the other resorts on occasion by booking a 1BR at less busy times. When it comes to the most popular times (such as Fall) we'll be very happy to stay at our home resort if there's nothing to switch to at the 7 month mark.

First, congratulations! Your summary is exactly the attitude that one should have when being a DVC member and wanting to trade out. Managing your expectations, considering the room size, being flexible, and understanding that there will be times when staying at your home resort could be the only option.

“Stay at all different places” is exactly how it was pitched to us.

You can “Stay at all different places” but as the Product Understanding Checklist that all direct buyers signed states "Reservations are subject to availability on a first come first served basis." Sometimes "first come" requires owning where you want to stay.

You can “Stay at all different places” but as the Product Understanding Checklist that all direct buyers signed states "Reservations are subject to availability on a first come first served basis." Sometimes "first come" requires owning where you want to stay.
No, no, I'm not the one saying "stay at all different places." That's what the person selling us DVC touted as its main selling point. I fully understand what the DVC contract says because I read it thoroughly, but like all salespeople, the folks selling DVC will point out what appeals most to the buyer. It's kind of silly for someone to suggest that people should feel guilty for using DVC in exactly the way it was represented to work. Outside of creating controversy on these boards, does that even happen?

No, no, I'm not the one saying "stay at all different places." That's what the person selling us DVC touted as its main selling point. I fully understand what the DVC contract says because I read it thoroughly, but like all salespeople, the folks selling DVC will point out what appeals most to the buyer. It's kind of silly for someone to suggest that people should feel guilty for using DVC in exactly the way it was represented to work. Outside of creating controversy on these boards, does that even happen?

My apologies if I misread your post.

You don't have to look any farther than the DVC website, which states on Page 1: "Vacation when, where and how often you want - you're never locked into any Resort, time of year, type of accommodation or length of stay."
Clearly exaggerated - not entirely accurate - but it's what they represent to get people to buy in.

You don't have to look any farther than the DVC website, which states on Page 1: "Vacation when, where and how often you want - you're never locked into any Resort, time of year, type of accommodation or length of stay."
Clearly exaggerated - not entirely accurate - but it's what they represent to get people to buy in.

And jelly beans are fat free. pooh:

Caveat emptor.....Let the buyer beware.

Technically, it’s accurate. You go on the website at the 7 month window, and you can trade out of your home resort. Now, you may not get the exact resort or room size you are hoping for, but you can book something,

I think what people hear is that they will get what they want, when they want, with ease.

Of course, I know what you are saying and that they absolutely count on people making those assumptions! Lol

Technically, it’s accurate. You go on the website at the 7 month window, and you can trade out of your home resort. Now, you may not get the exact resort or room size you are hoping for, but you can book something,

I think what people hear is that they will get what they want, when they want, with ease.

Of course, I know what you are saying and that they absolutely count on people making those assumptions! Lol
People hear that "they will get what they want, when they want, with ease" because Disney is telling them they can "vacation when, where and how often you want" without being locked into any resort or time of year. I get that it's the type of exaggeration you should expect when being sold a timeshare, but you can't really blame people for using DVC the way it was represented to them.
When we purchased in 2008 we were interested in Kidani, but the salesperson pushed us very firmly toward SSR, maybe because they wanted to sell those units first. We were told in no uncertain terms that there was no reason whatsoever to stay at SSR and that all DVC resorts were open to us. It was years before we stopped staying at Kidani or OKW and started staying at SSR. Now it's our favorite resort because we and our now-adult children love its proximity to Disney Springs. So I guess it all worked out fine in the end.

People hear that "they will get what they want, when they want, with ease" because Disney is telling them they can "vacation when, where and how often you want" without being locked into any resort or time of year. I get that it's the type of exaggeration you should expect when being sold a timeshare, but you can't really blame people for using DVC the way it was represented to them.
When we purchased in 2008 we were interested in Kidani, but the salesperson pushed us very firmly toward SSR, maybe because they wanted to sell those units first. We were told in no uncertain terms that there was no reason whatsoever to stay at SSR and that all DVC resorts were open to us. It was years before we stopped staying at Kidani or OKW and started staying at SSR. Now it's our favorite resort because we and our now-adult children love its proximity to Disney Springs. So I guess it all worked out fine in the end.

Yes, Disney sells the flexibility, I wasn’t try to say they don’t put that front and center. I was just saying that there Is a difference between what is said and what is heard,

My experince with the guides wasn’t quite the same. But, I also asked questions and had a good understanding of first come, first serve aspect of points based.

I do agree that things are much different now than 10 years ago and what I could get 3 or 4 months out when I first became a member, is Not the same.

Not the people I'm talking about. The people I'm talking about want what they want when they want it. This year a studio, the next a Grand Villa. Then a two bedroom. I.e. they expect flexibility in the system to meet their desires (and ability to manage points) in resort choice and room size. Being limited to one bedrooms is no more pleasant than being limited to one resort.

Depends- for some people, 1 beds are what they want. I don't want studios or 2 beds, just 1 beds, so it is nothing like as unpleasant as being limited to one resort.

I agree for the deomographic you describe above, yes buy where you want to stay. But buy where you want to stay can be bad advice for 1 bed stayers with abit of flexibility. I you are a person buying to 'sleep around' and many people do buy for that reason, then you really need to be looking at 1 beds. Then the flexibility is very good.

Personally, I feel like the SSR refurb and the DS build out will make SSR a contender coming soon! We just stayed at the treehouses for a couple days and loved them! The refreshed rooms look amazing and the complex is charming and peaceful. People will start staying there just in time for more resorts to come online and know one will be able to tell at the 7 mo window 😆

My first foray in DVC was a rack stay at SSR 1 bedroom and though a little ratty we adored it enough they we now own at 3 resorts. That said, I bought at AUL, VGF, & VGC and frankly, using those points to stay at non “premier” (per the rental companies) resort doesn’t work for my mentality unless we are looking for something 6 mos our. Hit either way, in the future, when we do need something and SSR is the only choice, we’ll happily take it. It’s a great place again!

Owners since 2012 at SSR, first ever trip there is this year. Can’t imagine picking SSR over BCV, BWV, CCV (maybe a few others) but I’ll reserve judgement until we stay. Don’t care who is barking about anything related to where others are staying or own.

Owners since 2012 at SSR, first ever trip there is this year. Can’t imagine picking SSR over BCV, BWV, CCV (maybe a few others) but I’ll reserve judgement until we stay. Don’t care who is barking about anything related to where others are staying or own.

Hope for the first trip you get a refurb as that will greatly impact your enjoyment. I know someone who stays at SSR 10 weeks every year, and he says he wouldn’t want an older style room again after doing the refurb,

I'm going to argue that DVC has already implemented a variable 7 months conversion chart by resort, without anyone noticing.
Let's take three owners, who bought enough points to stay one week in a preferred studio in Magic Season at their own resort: SSR, VGF and RIV.
They all book their own resort at 11 months and try to switch to the others at 7 months:
- the SSR owner would have to pay 72 points more to switch to VGF and 63 to switch to RIV
- the RIV owner would have to pay 9 points more to switch to VGF and would save 63 points switching to SSR
- The VGF owner would save 9 points switching to RIV, 72 switching to SSR
The trading power of a VGF week is 1.1 against RIV and 1.5 against SSR.

Let's put it in another way. DVC had two possibilities:
- publish a point chart for RIS similar to SSR, ask 40% more for each point and create a conversion rate of about +40% for exchange at 7 months vs SSR and -10% against VGF. This would have caused an uproar from many existing owners, make the direct value of some resorts to crumble and who knows what other effects
- apply a higher point chart

They chose the second option.

Last edited:
We bought CCV and stayed in the cabins. That same vacation, we added on an equal sized contract at SSR. We had stayed in the treehouses previously and loved it, and we needed more points. Perfect fit for our Disney-loving extended family. We’re thrilled to stay anywhere on property because we all want to go in thirty different directions on any given day. SSR’s proximity to Disney Springs is great for non-park days and so are their pools.
Disney keeps me too busy to be irritated by random strangers’ opinions about the perceived usefulness of any given resort’s points... or how they were purchased... but that’s another thread. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter