Tips on being courteous at WDW

LoveMyLAP-BAND

Banded 2/18/05
Hey all,

I just got beck from a great 10 day trip to WDW. I miss it already! :sad1:
My son got very sick :sick: (not WDW fault) so he missed quite a bit so we are going back again next year!!!!!!

I wanted to start this thread because of an experience my mom had while on this trip with us. My mom had to rent an ECV/scooter this trip and I can't tell you how many people just cut in front of her. Let me tell you, until you are on one of those things, you many not realize how "jetting" in front of a scooter is not a good idea. First of all, those things do not stop very easily. Second of all, "it" can't just jump out of your way and get around you. They are not easy to move like a person is. So, when you are at WDW (or any other place), please be courteous of people on these scooters.

Before renting this scooter, I never would have thought about it. I don't think most people were trying to be rude. I think they just didn't know. So, if you have any advice on courtesy in the parks, please post here. We can all be enlightened by your specific situation. :teacher:

Don't jump out in front of people with strollers.

Since Disney world is supposed to be non-smoking this shouldn't apply...but watch your ciggarettes around CHILDREN!!!

How about we all watch our attitudes in the parks? An attitude of gratitude goes a long way to make the day more pleasant for everyone. If everyone was more focused on how they could make the day more fun for the others around them, imagine how different the park experience would be.

Marie

My vote goes to watching cigarettes period. Many people don't realize that non-smokers aren't just whining, many of us have health problems, such as asthma, and cigarette smoke can really make us sick. Smokers should be able to enjoy the parks, but they shouldn't be allowed to ruin others' park experience by making them sick.

Watch your language, particulary when children are in earshot.

I know some folks use certain words as part of their daily vocabulary, and in front of their own children, but I think it is awful some of the language that I hear around the parks.

Yesterday while waiting for DD to ride BTMRR there was a young man - 20-something - who was on his cell phone with someone else in his traveling party, whom he was obviously not happy with - the F-bomb was used just about every other word - he was standing right by the entrance to the store near Splash Mtn. I was not ease dropping, but could not help but hear, as well as anyone who walked by him. I contemplated saying something to him, but he was REALLY angry and I did not want to confront someone in that mood! I also didn't want to leave my spot, as that is where I told DD I would be waiting!

My DD has heard the words - not from me- so it's not that I am trying to shelter her from the real world - but I just don't think that type of language is really necessary in WDW - or really anywhere!

how about if everyone picks up after them selfs .... i know everyone one should but the trash some ppl leave behind is unreal.. how about the old saying GIVE A HOOT DON"T POLUTE

regarding scooters and wheelchairs. when I used my wheelchair at Disney the last time I got a cigerette in my face as the man walking in front of me and holding it at his side walking along smoking which is of course not allowed, swung it back and caught my face just under my eye.

I have twice had people who were standing stopped turn around suddenly as I was being pushed by and they ended up in my lap. TWICE!

I also concur about the scooter usage. people will walk right in front of you or stop suddenly. I always try very hard to be careful of people but they seldom are careful of me and if they do get bumped when they stop etc. I get yelled at.

kristinanderic said:
Don't jump out in front of people with strollers.

Since Disney world is supposed to be non-smoking this shouldn't apply...but watch your ciggarettes around CHILDREN!!!

ITA your whole post...the smoking people actually made me growl on our trip...my little one has asthma ...and I did not want to start treatments on him or have to rush him to the hospital.

Last time I was at WDW, and in the crowd after the parade, standing still, waiting my turn to leave the park, and somebody in a wheelchair rolled right over my foot. I said "ouch, that hurt", and the person rolling the wheelchair gave me this "deer in the headlights" look, as if it never occurred to her that rolling a 70lb wheelchair containing a 300lb person over my little, size 6 1/2 foot might hurt. Courtesy goes both ways, and actually, after a parade, everybody leaving the park is as anxious to leave as anybody else. Being in or pushing a wheelchair (or stroller, but wheelchairs are worse) isn't carte blanche to use it at a battering ram to get through a crowd faster. Just glad it wasn't my 8yo son's size 3 foot, or mother bear would have been released from her cage.

Ok, first let me say that you have hit the right subject in my mind. Several things have annoyed me here in just three days. I will try not to rant too long:

1. Here here for the complaints about smoking. If you cannot read the rules about smoking stay home. I pay good money to bring my family into a smoke free environment. We stay away from the designated smoking areas. However, it never fails. We get out of Honey I Shrunk the Audience, and this whole family has to light up. My DW hates it when I cause I scene, so I left it alone.

2. We were at dinner at Cape May last night. The desert line was going the wrong way. The plates were at the end of the line. I and the people behind me moved to make the line go the correct way. Wouldn't you know that a few people came over and grabbed plates and joined the line in the wrong direction. When I suggested they join us in the right direction, I received a rude comment. Since I was with my daughter and there were other children around, I let it go.

3. Do people think they are the only ones in the park? I do not know how many times people have just cut us off or walked into us. I don't mind being bumped, but a sorry would be nice to hear from the offender.

I will leave it at that for now. I tell my kids that the right thing to do is not always the easiest thing to do. Such as changing the line in the right direction. It took longer to wait for the people going the wrong way to clear in order for us to get our desert. However, it was the right thing to do. It may be a simplified example, but it's at the heart of the matter.

All I ask is that people be courteous to others. I realize that they spent just as much money.

Now having said that, the majority of people are great. It's just the few that tweak the experience.

Take care.

delilah said:
Last time I was at WDW, and in the crowd after the parade, standing still, waiting my turn to leave the park, and somebody in a wheelchair rolled right over my foot. I said "ouch, that hurt", and the person rolling the wheelchair gave me this "deer in the headlights" look, as if it never occurred to her that rolling a 70lb wheelchair containing a 300lb person over my little, size 6 1/2 foot might hurt. Courtesy goes both ways, and actually, after a parade, everybody leaving the park is as anxious to leave as anybody else. Being in or pushing a wheelchair (or stroller, but wheelchairs are worse) isn't carte blanche to use it at a battering ram to get through a crowd faster. Just glad it wasn't my 8yo son's size 3 foot, or mother bear would have been released from her cage.

Agreed!! We were at MGM one empty morning and a lady in an ECV almost took out some poor man looking up at the hat. He was just standing there minding his own business and she almost MOWED HIM OVER!!! The man didn't even see her coming but his wife and I just looked at each other in disbelief!

I try to be courteous of those in wheelchairs since due to an injury in summer 05 I've been in one plenty and I know what a pain they are, but people driving the wheelchairs/ecv need to be courteous too.

alright i'm adding one to this. i understand completely that disney is for all ages. however when you have a youngster that doesn't listen to you, please stay away from other humans. i do not appreciate being punched by a 5 year old just to have the parents laugh at the kid, then when i tell the kid that wasn't nice the parents then yell at me for attempting to discipline their child. also if you are standing in line for a ride and your child is actually screaming that they dont' want to go on the ride, there maybe a possiblity that the child doesn't want to go on the ride. I do not enjoy being the lucky person to sit next to you and your screaming child throughout the whole ride, it kind of puts a damper on the ride for me. now i understand that with some of the younger children they get scared and yada yada yada, however when it is an older child lets say 9/10 i'm pretty sure the kid knows when they do or don't want to go on something. I actually tried to help the kid out and say that the ride wasn't bad and he told me to shutup. i felt very special!

When my husband was in a wheelchair (minor problem, now contained), we learned ALOT. First of all, most of the guests never had to deal with wheelchairs. Quite honestly, they just don't see a wheelchair. The "disabled" person is not a "normal" eye level. So most people aren't going to be looking down to see you. That's not an excuse, it's an explanation. My husband grabbed more rear ends because they were going to walk right into him. Most of the people just continued on, only a few apologized. He even almost got a cigarette in the eye. To anyone who got "trampled" by an EVC or wheelchair, it's not as easy to control one of those things as it is to push a stroller. Wheelchairs and EVCs naturally weigh more because the person sitting in one isn't a child.

As far as the smoking, it shocks people to learn that the outdoor areas at Disney World are smoke free except in designated areas. There aren't too many outdoor areas where that's the norm. Outdoor sporting arenas are the only thing that comes to mind right now.

My husband and I have encountered just about every single pet peeve at Disney World. We have learned to shrug it off because these people might be on their first time to Disney World, have no idea tour guides exist, and don't know about the DIS boards. We actually find them quite amusing.

I came back from my last trip and started a similar thread, but mostly in jest. As it turns out, common sense isn't all that "common" when at Disney World. :)

Personally, I've observed about everything mentioned above, and for the most part here is my approach: Ignore it. Laugh it off. Make a mental note and start a thread here mocking "those people." Seriously, it's my vacation, too, and why should "they" ruin it for me?

If you MUST get into the Haunted Mansion ahead of me, so be it...I'll be in Doombuggy 48 instead of 46. If you MUST smoke as soon as you're outside, guess who's looking like the idiot? If you MUST step directly in front of that stroller/wheelchair/ECV, guess who has the sore ankle?

All in all, I've witnessed some good stuff, but I can't let it ruin my trip.

Vent away, though, always feels better! :thumbsup2

While being in WDW makes us many of feel as if we've left the outside world behind us, I think we all (at one time or another) need to be reminded that our manners & brains need to come with us! ;)

I'll have to touch on the smoking thing too. I appreciate it when people go to the designated smoking areas but it makes me sick to see the parents three feet away from their children smoking it up. Mom and Dad could easily take turns and keep the kids out of the smoking area.

Continuously bumping into me after Wishes during the great MK park exodus. OK we're all going to get out eventually and running into me (without an apology I might add) isn't going to get you to the monorail or ferry any sooner. I'm walking just as fast as the person in front of me is and they're doing the same!

Thinking about leaving an exhibit or restaurant? Don't stand in a line with your friends or family, arm to arm, blocking the doorway.

Don't spit your gum onto the ground. I have a lovely wad of spearmint on my shoelaces now that I have to touch each time I tie my shoes. (The loop must have been too long and was dragging on the ground)

Sorry this probably turned into a rant about my observations from last weekend's trip. :P

not bumping a thread 3 mins after the last post :teeth: :rolleyes1

Just returned from a wonderful 12 day trip and all I can say is that "Excuse Me" works really well, especially if one feels it is absolutely necessary to shove themselves by/around one of my three children! And, boy, it can get difficult to instill manners upon the little ones when you find so many adults being so rude...My DD 5 questioned me a # of times why this person or that person pushed by us when we were waiting in a line first?!?! :confused3

And, I will not ever forget the woman with a stroller I encountered (or who crashed into my double stroller) after SpectroMagic...She was actually SPRINTING through the crowds and locked up MY stroller wheels just to get to the Popcorn stand!!! popcorn:: "NEED POPCORN NOW!!!!", I suppose! popcorn:: :confused3

I will not ever forget the woman with a stroller I encountered (or who crashed into my double stroller) after SpectroMagic...She was actually SPRINTING through the crowds and locked up MY stroller wheels just to get to the Popcorn stand!!! "NEED POPCORN NOW!!!!", I suppose!

Probably she need to join PEA = Popcorn Eaters Anonymous!! pirate:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter