Tips for getting on Hagrid?

Thanks for the advice! I did love breezing onto rides today at Universal Studios with our Hardrock express passes. So weird to not be on my phone constantly hunting for the next LL. šŸ¤£
That is clearly one of the things Universal does better. however, I don't think Disney could make that work, no matter what the price was as too many would pay it.

We passed a lot of people by walking quickly. We ended up pretty far back in the line in the ancient land (?) and the ride opening is ā€œdelayedā€ currently. Feel free to post your guesses about how this will go, lol

We finished riding at 9:20, so not bad. Arrived at the park gate at 7:25am. Listed at 180 minutes now.
Loved it! Sad there wasnā€™t a pre-show during the wait. I didnā€™t want spoilers so I hadnā€™t watched it online ahead of time, but still an amazing ride and great theming!

I wanted to post here instead of starting a new thread. We are wanting to do all the HP things and have Express Passes from staying at HRH on Easter weekend. Not ideal for crowds and we only have 2 days so I want to get this right!

If we decide to go to Hagrids during the early hour and get there and get in line only to realize it is down (this has happened to us before at WDW) where should we head next? I will get up as early as I need to be near the front, but I don't know what my plan B should be and when I will know to change course. I am afraid I will put all my eggs in Hagrid's basket and then be behind everyone else that came in after me if it is down. Our other thought is to go to Diagon Alley and have it to "ourselves" if that is a safer bet...but then knowing that we might have to wait for hours to ride Hagrid later doesn't seem like a smart plan.

Thoughts?

I wanted to post here instead of starting a new thread. We are wanting to do all the HP things and have Express Passes from staying at HRH on Easter weekend. Not ideal for crowds and we only have 2 days so I want to get this right!

If we decide to go to Hagrids during the early hour and get there and get in line only to realize it is down (this has happened to us before at WDW) where should we head next? I will get up as early as I need to be near the front, but I don't know what my plan B should be and when I will know to change course. I am afraid I will put all my eggs in Hagrid's basket and then be behind everyone else that came in after me if it is down. Our other thought is to go to Diagon Alley and have it to "ourselves" if that is a safer bet...but then knowing that we might have to wait for hours to ride Hagrid later doesn't seem like a smart plan.

Thoughts?
If your plan A doesnā€™t work out as you mentioned, personally I would zoom over to Velocicoaster and ride it once or twice in a row and then head to Studios where it should still be calm and quiet for the most part. Check hours for Studios first to be sure theyā€™re open at that time. We actually do this frequently. Sometimes we have an impromptu breakfast at Leaky Cauldron before or after riding Gringottā€™s. If you grab breakfast at Leaky Cauldron, I think you need to order by 10:30 as they start switching over for lunch.

If you grab breakfast at Leaky Cauldron, I think you need to order by 10:30 as they start switching over for lunch.
Thank you for this plan! Do I have to have a voucher for breakfast at Leaky Cauldron? My travel planner said they were all full so I didn't know this was an option.

Thank you for this plan! Do I have to have a voucher for breakfast at Leaky Cauldron? My travel planner said they were all full so I didn't know this was an option.
Weā€™ve had breakfast there several times in the past few months and we did not have a voucher. They ask when youā€™re about to order if you have one, I guess for payment purposes maybe but weā€™ve never had one. Most people around us didnā€™t have one either. My guess is maybe they advise people to have one when itā€™s super busy like during a holiday but Iā€™m not sure if thereā€™s any rhyme or reason behind the vouchers. They might be included with certain vacation packages. At any rate, we usually go there on a Saturday morning (busiest day of the week) and have never had a voucher.

Last edited:
It broke down a couple of times during our early hour but we stayed in line. We rode Velocicoaster afterwards when early entry was over and it only took 15 minutes (I think the posted was 20 or 25).

Also, they donā€™t have many rides open during early entry right now. You can search Universalā€™s site for the list that matches your dates to know what will be available.

If folks in your group like the Hippogriff coaster itā€™s good to do when the regular line is short. When the line time goes to 60 minutes you can end up waiting 20-30 minutes in express for that one. Have fun!

With a line as long as Hagrid's, there could definitely be a scenario in which staying in line even if it goes down is less total time than leaving and coming back later. If I started hearing rumors that it was down I'd stick it out until an actual cast member told me that it was likely to be down for hours.

Meanwhile, the good news is that with Express Passes, you don't have to worry much. Our visit on MLK weekend might be lower traffic than your Easter visit, but we never waited more than 15' or so for any ride except Hagrid's and Velo. I'll be the voice of dissent and say, if you must bail on Hagrid's, don't go straight to Velo, since that's what everybody else will be doing. Velocicoaster wait times tend to be much shorter than Hagrid; 60 minutes is a short wait for Hagrid but a long wait for Velo. Also, Velo times actually go down as the day goes on, while Hagrid usually stays steady. I say let everybody else rush to Velo, but use the app's "notify me when the wait is below" feature, set for something like 50', and ride it later.

Instead, since you're nearby, maybe do Forbidden Journey, unless it seems like everyone is rushing that too.

Having Diagon Alley more or less "to yourself" is very nice. That's what we found when we arrived within two hours of park closing time, so you might try that. You could also start your second day there.

FYI - the single rider line was hit and miss last week. It only saved 15 minutes one day when the regular line posted wait was 100 minutes.

Later in the week it actually took longer! I suspect it was due to the very large number of cheerleader and high school groups in the line, they loaded 20 or 30 at a time with no breaks for single riders.

We rope dropped twice last summer (with early entry) and the wait was insane. The first attempt, we bailed after about 45 min with little movement. I think we only rode it once in 5 days. I wish theyā€˜d go back to the virtual line. We were able to ride multiple times with reasonable wait times in back in 2021.

We were there April of last year. I made sure to be in line 45 minutes before EE. If you are too far up the bridge, you got there too late and your wait will be 60 minutes+. We were there for 3 days and rode it 3 times at EE and 2 other times with a longer wait during the day.

Quick question....when you refer to "rope drop", is that rope drop for those that have early entry, or rope drop at the regular opening time? Would it be a waste of time of our early entry hour to head to Haggrid's first, or are there better options to use that hour?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter