• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tips for getting on Hagrid?

DisneyMama811

🇨🇦 Disney Dreamin'
is the only way to get on Hagrid's without a huge wait to rope drop it? is there a certain time of day the crowds decrease? arriving at Universal today after 6 days at Disney and just trying to figure out the ins and outs. we did G+ at Disney but there's no way I'm springing for Express passes (which I don't think Hagrids is on anyway?) for 4 people at Universal 🤮💸💸💸

Watch the app. If the time gets below (or near) an hour, race over.

On our recent trip it never got below 2 hours so we didn't ride. We could have rope dropped early entry, but you kind of need to be near the front of that group and we just chose not to. Rope dropped Leaky Cauldron instead. Lol. Honestly, it was a much better experience. Had the place almost to ourselves. And the empty streets in Diagon Alley were lovely.

That said, we have ridden Hagrids in the past and it is indeed pretty amazing.

End of the night is a decent option, but on our one evening we had left home at 4:30 AM so weren't up to it.

You are correct, it isn't on EP.

I wouldn't recommend rope dropping it unless you're past the bridge and maybe past the Will Call booths at Islands of Adventure (in terms of waiting to enter the park). If you're not yet on the bridge, don't bother. EVERYONE will be running to Hagrids. Also I'm not sure if I'm very unlucky, but every time I've done early entry Hagrid's was down the entire time and when it came back up, it was a 200 minute wait. I would use early entry for doing wand magic/Ollivanders, having breakfast at Three Broomsticks as when the park opens to day guests, that place had a very long line to get in or ride Forbidden Journey and/or Velocicoaster.

I recommend riding around typical dinner time (around 4-6 pm) or wait to hop in 30-ish minutes before the park closes. When I went in May, Hagrid's was a solid 3 hour wait the entire day but dropped to 65 around 4. Truthfully you will be waiting at least 60 minutes no matter when you hop on line, so I would grab a drink from Three Broomsticks (hot butterbeer RULES!) and hop on line then. When it's busy, Universal will close the line for capacity early before park close, so that's why I say to hop on line 30 or so minutes before the park closes.

The ride really is worth the hassle. Hagrid's is awesome! Totally worth a 65 minute wait. The line is always moving since there is no Express, so it wasn't as bad as waiting in line at Disney.

I would go towards the end of the day, and just wait we went posted at 75 minutes and it was long but worth the wait.

We also did non private VIP and that cut the line.

is the only way to get on Hagrid's without a huge wait to rope drop it? is there a certain time of day the crowds decrease? arriving at Universal today after 6 days at Disney and just trying to figure out the ins and outs. we did G+ at Disney but there's no way I'm springing for Express passes (which I don't think Hagrids is on anyway?) for 4 people at Universal 🤮💸💸💸
Weekdays and sometimes Sundays are your best bet for shorter wait times. We usually have better luck late mornings and early afternoons. We rode it last Sunday around 11am or so. Posted wait time was 90 minutes but we timed it and we actually waited 50 minutes.

We've been able to ride it midday and around dinner time. Just keep an eye on the app times. Don't go first thing in the morning, the line is outrageous. We found the actual wait time was always lower than stated. Once we waited 15 minutes and another about 35. I think the longest we waited was 45 minutes.

Thrill Data actually shows a dip after 1pm, near 2 or 3.

This is data I have been watching for months, so I am giving it to you here, DONT TELL ANYONE!

Rope drop is only lower IF its up and running and IF your at the head of the crowd.

Velocicoster may only be 10 minutes at that point also…..

I have set wait timer reminders on the app daily, and I set it for 55 minutes. The vast majority of the time it goes off at 2-3 or LATE at closing.

So , good luck.

To late for the OP, but see https://www.thrill-data.com/waits/a...re/hagridsmagicalcreaturesmotorbikeadventure/. Basically, if you're on the early side of early-park-admission rope dropping, that's a good deal, but otherwise, afternoon is better.

But note, it has a single rider line that moves pretty well. We rope-dropped late, faced a 90-minute wait, and I got separated from my party and joined the line about 15 minutes behind them. I opted for single rider, thinking they would have beaten me and I needed to catch up with them, but in fact I got off at least 20 minutes before they even got on.

Also, it's pretty dang fun, and IMO worth a 90-minute wait. I wouldn't wait the 3 hours that high-traffic days see, but I wouldn't want to skip it.

I had the best luck getting in line 45 minutes before park opening. That generally gave me a 15 minute wait with plenty of time to ride velcicoaster before the park opened. We were staying onsite so after those 2, we had the express pass for everything wlse.

I had the best luck getting in line 45 minutes before park opening. That generally gave me a 15 minute wait with plenty of time to ride velcicoaster before the park opened. We were staying onsite so after those 2, we had the express pass for everything wlse.
Do you mean getting in line to enter the park 45 minutes before early opening or in the ride line 45 minutes before the regular park opening time? It’s my first time and I’m trying to figure things out (feel like a fish out of water because I’m the Genie+/VQ person for all my family at Disney).

Do you mean getting in line to enter the park 45 minutes before early opening or in the ride line 45 minutes before the regular park opening time? It’s my first time and I’m trying to figure things out (feel like a fish out of water because I’m the Genie+/VQ person for all my family at Disney).
45 minutes before early park opening. If you are not there that early, you most likely will be well across teh bridge and have a 60+ minute wait. I'd rather get there early and wait in that line, then have a 15-20 minute wait at Hagrids. That gives me time to walk the short distance to get in line for Velocicoaster before the park opens.
If you are staying at on e of the resorts with "free" express pass, you now have your day made. Outside of these 2 attractions, everything else uses Express Pass, so you can skip the majority of the lines.
Hardcore Disney fan, but using this takes all the stress out and removes most of the planning other than meals.

Thanks for the advice! I did love breezing onto rides today at Universal Studios with our Hardrock express passes. So weird to not be on my phone constantly hunting for the next LL. 🤣

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter