Tips for first time WDW solo trip?

hakunamatata16

It means no worries
Hi everyone! I have been throwing around the idea of doing a solo trip, probably just for 2 or 3 days sometime in Jan/Feb. I'm a younger female and this would be my first trip by myself. I was just wondering if anyone has any tips about solo trips? Travel, hotel stay, transportation, or just things you've learned going to WDW on your own, what you liked/didn't like, and how it's different. Also, pretty much my biggest concern is getting to my resort without the use of Magical Express. What's your opinion on what would be safest and most practical for a solo traveler? Thanks in advance!

Hi everyone! I have been throwing around the idea of doing a solo trip, probably just for 2 or 3 days sometime in Jan/Feb. I'm a younger female and this would be my first trip by myself. I was just wondering if anyone has any tips about solo trips? Travel, hotel stay, transportation, or just things you've learned going to WDW on your own, what you liked/didn't like, and how it's different. Also, pretty much my biggest concern is getting to my resort without the use of Magical Express. What's your opinion on what would be safest and most practical for a solo traveler? Thanks in advance!
You might want to check the Adult & Solo Travelers board.

https://www.disboards.com/forums/disney-for-adults-and-solo-travelers.54/

You might want to check the Adult & Solo Travelers board.

https://www.disboards.com/forums/disney-for-adults-and-solo-travelers.54/
I agree that this board is the best place to ask this question and search for additional information.

I have stayed at all level of resorts on my four (hopefully soon to be five) solo trips. I don’t know what your budget is, but one piece of advice is to not stay at a less expensive resort because it’s just you. If you want to stay at a less expensive resort or a more expensive resort isn’t in your budget, you’ll be fine. However, I wouldn’t let price be the only consideration if it doesn’t have to be.

One issue a lot of solo travelers seem to have is the fear of dining alone. This isn’t something that bothers me. I can tell you that no one really pays attention to you because they are too wrapped up in their own lives. A lot of people recommend dining at the bar at the restaurants that have them. I personally prefer a table, but if you want to socialize while eating, the bar might be your better choice. If you’re uncomfortable just sitting there, pull out your phone and read, catch up on social media, play games, etc. Also, if dining alone makes you uncomfortable, try it a few times at home before your trip to get used to it.

Presumably you aren’t renting a car. Before DME, I used either town car transportation or a Mears shuttle. I actually preferred the shuttle; I had a bad experience with one of the town car companies. Once DME is gone, I’ll probably use the Mears replacement for DME. I know a lot of people like to use Uber or Lyft, but I haven’t done this myself.

I can’t really say anything negative about going to WDW solo. In this day and age, it’s not like you are really away from friends and family since you can call, text, video chat, and so on. The best part is that you can do what you want, when you want. You can make as many or as few plans as you want and change them on the fly. You don’t have to make anyone else happy.

I use Uber or Lyft usually, but make sure you verify your driver. Solo travel is all about having things your way. Also, if you decide to hop, use the boats where you can. More relaxing.

Uber/Lyft are safe...but yes, make sure plates match (criminal minds taught us so much). my next trip I plan to use a private shuttle and include a grocery stop...but Uber/Lyft are definitely cheaper. The beauty of solo travel is you decide...do you want better value? Do you want a little luxury? It’s up to you! I tend to stay at Pop for my solo trips, because I go into park warrior mode...so where I stay doesn’t matter. My next trip, I’m staying at Carribean cause I want to try the skyliner...and am planning to include a spa visit...as noted, dining seems to be the challenge for most...my advice is practice at home...the only, reason it seems weird is probably because you haven’t done it...this board is a great place full of people with great advice if you have more specific questions!

Uber/Lyft are safe...but yes, make sure plates match (criminal minds taught us so much). my next trip I plan to use a private shuttle and include a grocery stop...but Uber/Lyft are definitely cheaper. The beauty of solo travel is you decide...do you want better value? Do you want a little luxury? It’s up to you! I tend to stay at Pop for my solo trips, because I go into park warrior mode...so where I stay doesn’t matter. My next trip, I’m staying at Carribean cause I want to try the skyliner...and am planning to include a spa visit...as noted, dining seems to be the challenge for most...my advice is practice at home...the only, reason it seems weird is probably because you haven’t done it...this board is a great place full of people with great advice if you have more specific questions!

Funny you mention Criminal Minds. After I finish my Associates in Criminal Justice, I will be pursuing a Bachelors in Forensic Psychology. Anyway, both apps now show the driver photo, and I know Lyft does require a driver sticker to be displayed, and Uber may. Checking the tags is always a good idea, as well as make and model of vehicle. It didn't occur to me until now, but Minnie Van service may offer airport service for resort guests, but the op would have to check. I know there was some talk of it at Disney pre-pandemic, but not sure if they ever implemented it.

I'll echo the above comments about using Uber/Lyft and making sure the plate shown on the app matches the plate on the car that arrives.
Tips/tricks? Can't really think of any. Just have a good time and do whatever. Oh, bring a light/medium jacket/hoodie because it gets chilly down here in the mornings and evenings in January/February.
Research dining menus and try some places that seem fun or interesting. Wave to the characters and princesses. Go to Frozen Sing-a-long and yell 'puddle' at the appropriate time during "In Summer". You're by yourself, who cares, noone knows you. :rotfl:

I use Uber or Lyft usually, but make sure you verify your driver. Solo travel is all about having things your way. Also, if you decide to hop, use the boats where you can. More relaxing.

If I'm taking a Lyft alone, I text my fiancé a screenshot of the driver's number plate and photo. Just in case.

OP, may be worth doing the same-- sending a screenshot to your friend or family member-- just to be on the safe side.

I'll just assume a couple of things. First that you are planning to stay onsite. If that is the case, then I'm a little curious about what all the talk about Uber, etc. is about. Disney has all the transportation you will need to do whatever you want at WDW. Why even put yourself at such a limited risk. You will almost always be with crowds of people so your concern level should be minimal.

Second is that you have been to WDW before and know what kind of experience you have had in the past. As a solo, nothing about that needs to change. You just happen to be doing things by yourself. If someone is self conscience about what people are thinking when you are not seen directly connected with someone else, let me assure you that no one cares so you just do what you want and ride what you want.

Hell, I'm a 73 year old and have recently gone solo and ridden Pooh because I hadn't seen it since my grandkids went with me. Here's how I thought about it, The people in front of me think I am with the people behind me. The people behind me think I am with the people in front of me, and they never really can know that I'm not unless I tell them. But, as I said before everyone is in their own bubble and really have a lot more to think about then about your status.

The key here is just do things like you did before except in the sequence that you want to do them in, have your meals wherever you want to do them with no one else saying... I don't like that type of food. It is a wonderful experience and I can think of no safer place then in a Disney Park. Relax and enjoy your ability to do just what you want to do.

I prefer Mears shuttle for back and forth to and from the airport. To me it's the safest choice.

Some solos prefer resort rooms that have an inside lobby. Unfortunately, this means staying at a deluxe which is costly. If that's not in the budget then perhaps choose a resort building that is closest to the separate lobby building. There are maps available to show you those resort building numbers.

If you do table service dining you will be eating for a much longer period of time. Sometimes, I've started up a conversation with another soloist nearby like at the next table. If we hit it off I'll ask to join their table or vice versa. With Covid this could be harder to do now. This is also a good time to catch up on your text messages or play a game on your phone. I've even seen a few people read ebooks. I prefer the quick service meals; because, they are much quicker to do. Then, I can enjoy the rides more. When I go solo I actually prefer eating a good breakfast at the resort and then a dinner there when I'm done with the parks and I skip any meals at the park. You have a few choices; so, you can decide what fits you best. You can mix it up, as well to try all the options.

In ride queues I have started conversations with those ahead of me or behind me. Again, with Covid risks this may not go over as well anymore. It just depends how social you care to be.

As others stated if you get lonely at all then call friends or family.

The worst part for me going solo is that I hate doing any table service alone. If there's a bar you can sit at, that's a great option, but otherwise in my experience you WILL get seated at the worst table and receive the worst service. The biggest reason I only do quick service though is I just feel really lonely when I'm in a restaurant by myself 😢. EVERY other aspect of travelling alone I'm pretty comfortable with. But that is the ONE thing I can't seem to get past.

Some solos prefer resort rooms that have an inside lobby. Unfortunately, this means staying at a deluxe which is costly. If that's not in the budget then perhaps choose a resort building that is closest to the separate lobby building. There are maps available to show you those resort building numbers.
Gran Destino Tower at Coronado Springs (moderate resort) has indoor corridors and the rooms are in the same building as the lobby. I believe Art of Animation (value resort) has indoor corridors, though the rooms aren’t in the same building as the lobby.

If there's a bar you can sit at, that's a great option, but otherwise in my experience you WILL get seated at the worst table and receive the worst service.
I don’t doubt this poster’s experience, but it hasn’t been mine. Maybe I have just been lucky! I haven’t noticed the service has been any worse when I’m solo or that I have gotten bad tables. As a matter of fact, both times I dined solo at Sanaa I was seated at a window table.

I don’t doubt this poster’s experience, but it hasn’t been mine. Maybe I have just been lucky! I haven’t noticed the service has been any worse when I’m solo or that I have gotten bad tables. As a matter of fact, both times I dined solo at Sanaa I was seated at a window table.
Definitely take my experience with a grain of salt, as I almost NEVER dine alone due to how much I dislike it. So I have very few experiences to base this view off of.

The worst part for me going solo is that I hate doing any table service alone. If there's a bar you can sit at, that's a great option, but otherwise in my experience you WILL get seated at the worst table and receive the worst service. The biggest reason I only do quick service though is I just feel really lonely when I'm in a restaurant by myself 😢. EVERY other aspect of travelling alone I'm pretty comfortable with. But that is the ONE thing I can't seem to get past.
I’ve had mixed results. For example, I’ve been seated up front next to the stage at Hoop-Dee-Doo, which was great location, and by the window at The Plaza, looking out at the castle. At Whispering Canyon, the location was fine, but the server gave all her attention, and none to me, to other tables, knowing that they would have a bigger tab and tip than a solo diner. At Skipper Canteen, the location was fine, but it was clear that the server was only going to provide the minimum number of jokes and time on me compared to the larger parties.

The location of the seating is going to depend on where their small, two-seater tables are, if they have them. At Boma, the two seater table is not great, but I’ve also been placed in a booth or at a four-seater on occasion.

I have no issue dining alone at Disney since as has been pointed out, literally no one is looking you. Each table that has more than one person is focused completely on themselves. The part I feel more self-conscious about is on attractions, where you are seated on a ride vehicle by yourself or with another party. Both situations make you stand out as being by yourself.

I have no issue dining alone at Disney since as has been pointed out, literally no one is looking you. Each table that has more than one person is focused completely on themselves. The part I feel more self-conscious about is on attractions, where you are seated on a ride vehicle by yourself or with another party. Both situations make you stand out as being by yourself.
Definitely agree. The problem for me is that I don't mind at all standing out or being obviously alone (I mean, maybe sometimes because I'm human, but generally am very OK with it). It's just at restaurants the whole atmosphere just makes my alone-ness extra visceral for some reason. I can read a book, go on my phone etc., I certainly will do it if I'm hungry enough and table service is my only option... but I wish more than anything for company in those moments and I definitely don't get to enjoy the experience the way I would with others.

Ugh...I’m sorry you have had this experience...I have not...I’ve had great tables and amazing servers...I’ve mentioned this before but I had a fab server at my first solo dining at brown derby where I told the server how much I loved the Cobb salad and grapefruit cake and he brought me recipe cards printed on brown derby bowlers...I think like anywhere...if you are not happy with your table let the Hostess know and prepare to wait a bit...but that is not for everybody either...solution is whatever works for you! Why I love a solo...

Regarding restaurant seating, you can increase your chances of getting a good table by booking to first seating time of the day — for example, Via Napoli at 11:30 am. Then when you check in (do it in person), it’s OK to say something like, “Since it’s just me today, any table with something nice to look at would be appreciated.”

I’ve had great luck using this strategy: front window tables at Via Napoli and Chefs de France (with a prefect view of Serveur Amusant!) and tank-side tables at Coral Reef. Some places, like Cali Grill or Skipper Canteen, like to seat single diners at the long banquette, but you can choose the side with the view you prefer - dining room, window, etc. That said, I’ve never tried Be our Guest or Tutto Italia solo, because some of their two-tops are super exposed in the middle right next to traffic. To me, that is even less desirable than the corner!

My advice is enjoy. I love solo trips, I did one in April and am doing another in Dec. I told my hubby yesterday when I was booking that I think I enjoy the solo trips much more than the trips with family. You can do anything you want. You want to sit on a bench in the hub for a hour and people watch? Go for it. You want to go from park open to park close, have fun. You want to take a two hour nap in the afternoon, enjoy.

I do eat at TS restaurants and have no problem, but I also travel other places solo (hubby hates to travel, I love it, son is grown up with a family of his own). For the most part, I've had good service, sometimes too good. On more than one occasion I've had the chef come out and talk to me just because or had them send out special stuff for me to try for free. I think the servers can tell if you are comfortable or not being by yourself and adjust to that.

I have no problems riding rides by myself, often if I'm with my son we will do single rider so we are used to it. I was there week before last with him and his SO and their 5 month old baby so we did rider swap a few times and I rode solo or on the rides where 3 couldn't fit, I rode solo.

I'm an older (mid 60s) woman and I've always felt safe no matter what level of resort I've stayed at, and I've stayed at them all. I always stay on property because I like the bubble and actually enjoy Disney transportation, for me it's a little period to sit and relax, even if the bus is crowded. I'm never in a hurry to get from point A to point B, since I'm solo I can do what I want. I've stayed at some of the larger moderate resorts and have never felt unsafe going back to my room, no matter how far away in the late evenings or going on early morning walks. The only place I've felt a little uncomfortable was the walk between YC and Dolphin. My trip in April The Dolphin did not have their sidewalk lights on. There is a little patch that is fairly wooded. To avoid that I simply walked around the BW and approached from the front walkway between the Swan and Dolphin. Problem solved.

As far as transport from the airport, I drive down so not much help. If it were me, and money weren't too much of an issue, I'd probably hire a private car service instead of Uber or Lyft. Mears does offer shuttles and will have a contract with Disney so that is also an option.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!