Tipping Question

Bobski5150

Earning My Ears
I have a question about tipping. The Disney site has the suggested guideline for tipping and lists the individuals to be tipped as follows:

Dining room Server
Dining room assistant server
Dining room head server
Stateroom host/hostess
Dining Manager
Room Service

My queston is what does the dining room head server do? On past non-Disney cruises, I've only ever had two people serve us at the table. I'm assuming they equivalent to the server and assistant server.

Thanks.

The Head Server is kind of the supervisor for your Server and Assistant Server. They're supposed to be around to make sure everything is going well for you. I've had Head Servers who are very involved, and I've had Head Servers whom I've never seen. In this latter case, I do not feel compelled to tip them.

The head server is there I supose to supervise the servers. I always tip above and beyond for the staff, but this is one position I don't.

On our DCL cruise two weeks ago, our head server came by every evening in a rush, to tell us what was coming up the next day, and to see how we were doing. He usually got there at the end of dessert when we were trying to leave. The stuff he told us was usually the same as the assistant server had already said.

The only time he actually helped was when he helped the servers cut the lobster out of their shells.

So, on the head server we only tip the recommended amount, which for a 7 day cruise is only $6 or 7 per person.

Originally posted by Señor Ferrari
The Head Server is kind of the supervisor for your Server and Assistant Server. They're supposed to be around to make sure everything is going well for you. I've had Head Servers who are very involved, and I've had Head Servers whom I've never seen. In this latter case, I do not feel compelled to tip them.

I agree completely with Senor Ferrari!

On our first Disney Cruise I never even saw our head waiter, he didn't do a thing for us.

Big change on our second cruise.....headwaiter was at the table every night chatting with us, brought out cakes for various occassions, was concerned because 1 member of our party ordered plain chicken one night and joked with her every night about her choices. In short, he was really great and we tipped him extra AND we made a point to tell him that on our last cruise we never even saw the head waiter and didn't tip. we wanted him to know we appreciated him and his efforts!

We have had many times when we've tipped the head server over and above the suggested amount. If you have a good head server, he or she will assist you will special requests and will also make arrangements for special occasions such as birthdays. Some of the best we've had include P.J., Rita, Kapur, Paul, and John (and I know I've forgetting some too).
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

We have had many times when we've tipped the head server over and above the suggested amount. If you have a good head server, he or she will assist you will special requests and will also make arrangements for special occasions such as birthdays. Some of the best we've had include P.J., Rita, Kapur, Paul, and John (and I know I've forgetting some too).
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

Thank you for explaining this.

It appears we'll have to see how our head server interacts with us to determine how to tip him/her.

I know our server and assistant servers in the past have always taken very good care of us and from what I've read on on this board, it appears we can expect the same and more on a Disney cruise.

Thanks again.:)

I LOVE PJ... he is the best head server in the world! On my first Wonder cruise, I raved about the creme brulee so much he made sure i had it for dessert EVERY night, even when we weren't in Triton's.

Then on my second cruise, he remembered my addiction to the creme brulee and I didn't even have to ask...

sorry, just saw his name mentioned and had to rave about him.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter