Tipping Flight Attendants - S/O Pizza Delivery Tipping Thread

How much would you tip flight attendants?

Votes: 92 96.8%
  • $1 or $2 dollars

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5%

• 10%

• 15%

• 20%

• Not Sure

Votes: 3 3.2%

• Total voters
According to Glassdoor, Frontier Flight Attendants make $19-$37 an hour, with $20 being the (imo low) average. They would have to be working/getting paid for 40 hours a week to earn that claimed $39,700 annually.
I'm guessing that's taking into consideration the routes and markets? Supposedly Frontier isn't going to be collecting any portion of the tips.

I'm ok with tipping Frontier flight attendants a dollar or two if I order drinks that I pay for but I wouldn't tip if I didn't order anything. This to me is similar to the tip jars at Starbucks or Moe's.

And the poll is skewed. How can it be 94% say no, but there are 5% and 10% in the other answers? We do not tip the flight attendants. Nor will I start after seeing this.

Along these lines I've wondered though how do they structure their pay scale nowadays. I mean does Frontier offer bonuses towards those receiving better tips over time, are they lowering their new flight attendant salaries but telling them "you'll supplement with tips", and how does a consumer fit in with their model.
In reading the article it says specifically "tips on sales". Wonder if they are doing this to try and get Flight Attendants to push harder for sales on the flight of things like alcohol so the airline makes more money.
Not sure it is a push for the stuff like soda and pretzels that Southwest gives you at no charge.

In reading the article it says specifically "tips on sales". Wonder if they are doing this to try and get Flight Attendants to push harder for sales on the flight of things like alcohol so the airline makes more money.
Not sure it is a push for the stuff like soda and pretzels that Southwest gives you at no charge.
That would make sense; I guess time would tell how much money they would make out of it. I hope it doesn't spread out further to other airlines-that would be my concern.

And the poll is skewed. How can it be 94% say no, but there are 5% and 10% in the other answers? We do not tip the flight attendants. Nor will I start after seeing this.
Huh? There are two answers people have selected... "0" by 94.8% (and the time I write this) and "not sure" by 5.2%. 94.8 + 5.2 = 100.

You might be surprised, if you actually count the hours they spend (pre and post flight...all uncompensated) vs. what they get paid for.

True, they don’t start getting paid until the plane pushes back from the terminal.

Are they hourly or salaried? And are they unionized? If they are salaried, the work they do pre and post flight is no different than the work I do outside of 40 hours in my office job, as a salaried employee. All part of the job and my pay is the same regardless. If they are hourly and doing work they are not getting paid for, aren't there laws in place for this?

Now, if they're unionized, I'd guess their contract dictates all of this and it would be a moot point.

I remember one time on a flight a purchased a soda - as I was about to hand the flight attendant my money I wondered if I should tip. In those seconds my brain went back and forth about it, but I finally decided that it would probably be an insult - they are on the aircraft mainly to assist us in an emergency if need be, they are not "servers". (Not that there is anything wrong with being a server, I was one for years, but saving lives is certainly a higher purpose.) Selling/handing out beverages is a side component of their job. IMO, of course.

Last edited:
Face it. In the future, everyone is destined to work for Walmart, Walair, or some other Walsubsidiary for no pay or hourly wage. Just tips.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter