Tipping Flight Attendants - S/O Pizza Delivery Tipping Thread

How much would you tip flight attendants?

Votes: 92 96.8%
  • $1 or $2 dollars

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5%

• 10%

• 15%

• 20%

• Not Sure

Votes: 3 3.2%

• Total voters
If this is true, I wonder why their union allows this. As long as FAs are expected to be at the airport and performing job duties, they should be paid.
Probably a tradeoff for something else. The union my husband works for negotiated away their breaks. They get 5 minutes per 5 hour shift. Two breaks (5 minutes) if longer than that. In other words, they can work 8 hours or more and literally have no time to eat. Unions will do some crazy things. My husband thinks it insane that they can ask people to do hard, physical work for 8 hours and only have time to use the bathrooms a couple times (assuming they run...can't walk or you wouldn't have the time to reach the bathroom, use it, and walk back).

I'm sorry but this isn't related to the pizza delivery tipping thread at all nor does the poll make any lick of sense as it makes the assumption that tipping is customary for flight attendants and is more along the lines of :stir:

Pizza delivery has long been a tipped thing. Tipping your flight attendant, especially such that Frontier is wanting to do, is newer.

The thread should probably be "What do you think about Frontier's new tipping thing" NOT "what do you tip your flight attendant"

I'm sorry but this isn't related to the pizza delivery tipping thread at all nor does the poll make any lick of sense as it makes the assumption that tipping is customary for flight attendants and is more along the lines of :stir:

Pizza delivery has long been a tipped thing. Tipping your flight attendant, especially such that Frontier is wanting to do, is newer.

The thread should probably be "What do you think about Frontier's new tipping thing" NOT "what do you tip your flight attendant"

Does it REALLY matter??!!!:confused3:sad2:

For how many years did they fight for the name Flight Attendant, and to not be considered a server/waitress/er because they are safety trained and more ... now they are okay with being considered a server?

My first reaction is if they are not being paid enough that they need tips, and they are now servers .... I think everyone better be prepared to be proactive in an emergency as they won't feel compelled to stay in harms way.

I don't fly a lot, but in all my flights, I have never seen anyone tip a flight attendant.

But if they are signing mostly charge slips you wouldn't know.

For sure a move away from the status they fought for.

Given that nearly everyone has voted $0, we can infer what people think about Frontier's new tipping "thing." Not exactly rocket science.

I voted "not sure," because I never thought of tipping a flight attendant. However, sometimes I take the train to Florida, and it's customary there to tip the attendants-usually when the ride is over they'll stand by the door as you're de-training and you give them the money then. Would that be the way to tip a flight crew? Not sure.

Given that nearly everyone has voted $0, we can infer what people think about Frontier's new tipping "thing." Not exactly rocket science.
You set up the poll as if tipping a flight attendent was a norm to begin with. If you want opinions on the Frontier's decision to ask for tips for flight attendants just ask that question instead.

You set up the poll as if tipping a flight attendent was a norm to begin with. If you want opinions on the Frontier's decision to ask for tips for flight attendants just ask that question instead.

You must be bored as you're arguing just to argue. The thread is for discussion.

Feel free to start your own poll if you want. I'm satisfied with the poll I've created.

I Googled "Flight Attendant Pay" and if this is true, they are way way above the level I would tip someone at.

"The median salary for a flight attendant in May 2016 was $48,500, according to the Department of Labor's Bureau of Labor Statistics. PayScale estimates the average pay for a flight attendant is a bit lower — landing around $39,000 a year. The range in flight attendants' salaries depends on their level of experience.Feb 14, 2018"

You must be bored as you're arguing just to argue. The thread is for discussion.

Feel free to start your own poll if you want. I'm satisfied with the poll I've created.
No I don't want to argue nor am I bored. Your title was a spin off from the pizza deliver tipping thread hence my response. As this thread is for discussion (as the Board is itself) I'm discussing my opinion :D

Actually, (s)he didn't. The poll says "How much WOULD you tip flight attendants?" (emphasis mine). The poll doesn't ask "How much DO you tip FA's?" So no, it's not written like it's a norm. It does appear you just want to nitpick. Not interested in the answers or discussion? Feel free to move on.

I Googled "Flight Attendant Pay" and if this is true, they are way way above the level I would tip someone at.

"The median salary for a flight attendant in May 2016 was $48,500, according to the Department of Labor's Bureau of Labor Statistics. PayScale estimates the average pay for a flight attendant is a bit lower — landing around $39,000 a year. The range in flight attendants' salaries depends on their level of experience.Feb 14, 2018"
Along these lines I've wondered though how do they structure their pay scale nowadays. I mean does Frontier offer bonuses towards those receiving better tips over time, are they lowering their new flight attendant salaries but telling them "you'll supplement with tips", and how does a consumer fit in with their model.

According to Glassdoor, Frontier Flight Attendants make $19-$37 an hour, with $20 being the (imo low) average. They would have to be working/getting paid for 40 hours a week to earn that claimed $39,700 annually.

Actually, (s)he didn't. The poll says "How much WOULD you tip flight attendants?" (emphasis mine). The poll doesn't ask "How much DO you tip FA's?" So no, it's not written like it's a norm. It does appear you just want to nitpick. Not interested in the answers or discussion? Feel free to move on.
Nah not trying to really nitpick just don't personally see the connection between pizza delivery and frontier's tipping program. How much typically denotes you do it in the first place-like "how much to tip valet, etc" Of course majority of folks are going to respond $0 because tipping flight attendants is not a customary norm. Would you tip a flight attendant followed by "yes, no, not sure" I could see that as well. But the poll is def. going to be skewed towards $0 and possibly "not sure" if people might be willing to tip but aren't positive. Of course it's their poll to create just feel if the goal (which admittedly it may not be) was to figure out how people feel about it policy the poll doesn't quite get to that point. Admittedly it's JMO of course :-)

As for not being interested in answers or discussion can't see how you would come to that conclusion. If I said no one should respond? Sure that I could see that. As is I commented my opinion without respects to infringing on others' opinions on the matter :-)

I didn't pose my comment as if it mattered :confused3 I commented what I thought same as others commented on what they thought.

I have no idea what the bolded means.
But I am SURE you will tell me :rotfl2:(with detail)

The OP didn't ask your opinion on the way he presented his poll/thread. He asked how much you would tip flight attendants. You gave a detailed negative critique of his thread instead.

Just wondering why you felt a thread presentation critique was an appropriate response to "What would you tip a flight attendant?" - especially if you feel it doesn't matter.

I have no idea what the bolded means.
But I am SURE you will tell me :rotfl2:(with detail)

The OP didn't ask your opinion on the way he presented his poll/thread. He asked how much you would tip flight attendants. You gave a detailed negative critique of his thread instead.

Just wondering why you felt a thread presentation critique was an appropriate response to "What would you tip a flight attendant?" - especially if you feel it doesn't matter.
You're more than welcome to PM me (though I rather doubt you care enough to do so) if you'd like further discussion on that matter-of course I'd be willing to discuss. Perhaps that's a better solution than to go back and forth about an opinion folks don't think belong in this thread anyways :D

You're more than welcome to PM me (though I rather doubt you care enough to do so) if you'd like further discussion on that matter-of course I'd be willing to discuss. Perhaps that's a better solution than to go back and forth about an opinion folks don't think belong in this thread anyways :D

No thanks - I wouldn't have time to read through all of the reasons you will list as to why you feel you are right/justified.

Carry on....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!