Tinkerbell rumor I heard (possible spoiler info)

Disney is sooooo strict with employee image that I would highly doubt they would let a guy fly with facial hair....unless they were really strapped for a tink that night and maybe they figured probably no one would notice? I dunno, like I said Disney has OCD when it comes to employees' images.

Disney doesn't even allow men to have facial hair except mustaches and it took years and years before they would even approve mustaches (although we all know Walt had one). The Disney "look" is very strict.
One thing that made me laugh though the last time I was at the MK...
The Disney Look does not allow "unnatural" hair color even highlighting has to look very natural, but the last time I was there I had a platinum blonde cashier with black eyebrows....... hmmm I wonder if that was natural?:laughing:

40mph. Really? I doubt that a mere mattress could aid in a soft (injury free) landing after travelling at that speed without a brake. :rotfl2:

It surprises me that the imagineers have not come up with some braking device (or have they?). If you are an aviation expert you probably know what a tailhook is. (The braking device would be just under the wire, not on the ground or roof.) Even with some inattentiveness by the participants there is no excuse for injury not counting a significant malfunction.

As a gymnastics judge, I have to say:

1. Mattresses? Really? I'm hoping/thinking you guys are just being imprecise in describing the matting. Athletic equipment manufacturers could make something a million times more appropriate and safer than using a mattress.

2. Cathy Rigby = silver medalist at 1970 World Championships on balance beam. First American woman ever to win a medal at Worlds. :) Just in case you weren't aware that she was accomplished before Peter Pan. I claim her as one of ours!!!

Being the cousin OF Tink, I can assure you 100 times over that the 'Tinker Bill' is a complete rumor. The matress, pay, etc., is right on, though. :flower3:

I believe most of the info is true... they talked about it during the keys to the kingdom tour... I don't remember the details b/c it was over 2 years ago.

The Keys to the Kingdom also explained about the mattress landing.....funny visual....:rotfl:

Just had to jump in to comment on the weight/height stuff.
The rumored "weight" in this thread is actually not that bad considering that "friends" of Tink's (in meet and greets in the parks, which I assume is probably the same height range?) is 4'11 to 5'2.

As for the actual restriction on weight, those are bound to happen, especially with jobs like this, heck, the girls who dance as the blue bird have to be under 115lbs, and this year, it was cut down to 110lbs, and that's with the height range going up to 5'4''. All that harness/aerial work can create this reasoning.

Just had to jump in to comment on the weight/height stuff.
The rumored "weight" in this thread is actually not that bad considering that "friends" of Tink's (in meet and greets in the parks, which I assume is probably the same height range?) is 4'11 to 5'2.

As for the actual restriction on weight, those are bound to happen, especially with jobs like this, heck, the girls who dance as the blue bird have to be under 115lbs, and this year, it was cut down to 110lbs, and that's with the height range going up to 5'4''. All that harness/aerial work can create this reasoning.

I just got through watching The Walking Dead finale. I thought those were the only zombies I would see tonight. Then I get on the DIS and see this thread. Guess i was wrong.

Snapped this "beauty" last month. :sad2:

f07e8009-5c78-49d4-bd13-faeed7a130e0.jpg

Now that's a scary looking Tink lol...

Either way my daughter loved the "Magic" when she watched her come down that wire in December...we looked for a perfect spot for her as our Travel Agent gave us suggestions :)

As long as they keep the magic alive I don't really think people care if it's a Bill or Bell lol

Maybe some of you don't want to know the details about the flying Tinkerbell. If not, don't read on.

Disclaimer - this is all third-hand knowledge and I can't validate it's authenticity.

My husband's coworker's girlfriend worked at Disney on the college program. He asked her what was the biggest secret that she knew. She said not many know about Tinkerbell who flies from the castle. She (sometimes he) must weigh (I think) less than 100 pounds and be a certain height. They are literally pushed from the window of the castle and reach speeds of about 40 mph. They must go this fast or they could get stuck along the wire. She said there is a mattress against a wall at the end of the wire and that's where Tinkerbell "lands" - or smacks into.

She also said that it is a daring, injury-prone job and they get paid $500 per flight. Many get injuries and most don't stick around long. That's why sometimes it is indeed a man if they can't find a female.

Now I just want to stand near the end of the wire and see where Tinkerbell "lands"!!!:eek:

Yes, this information is correct. I know someone that actually was flying Tinkerbell (also a college program) and it is extremely dangerous. She said the landing against the pads and the helpers at the bottom helping to stop the momentum regularly left some bruising. From what I remember, she said you hit the end at about 30-40 mph. She stopped after a few weeks as it was scary.:scared1:

I'm not too sure about some of the info. I knew one "friend" who had assisted Tink for many, many years. And I am pretty sure she can weigh more then 100 pounds.

I just checked checked and the weight limit is due to the safety standards and the wire. When my friend did it, the limit was 100 pounds. Not sure if that has changed as it was about 5/6 years ago. If it is the same wire, then I would assume it is still 100 lb.

They would definitely get a increased hazard pay, but I've never heard $500.

I can also say that personally I only know of one female who has done it the rest were Bills lol!

Now that's a scary looking Tink lol...

Either way my daughter loved the "Magic" when she watched her come down that wire in December...

Wait, there's a wire?

MAGIC RUINED!

I do remember her getting stuck halfway one time I was there. S/he was pumping her legs like mad to get going again. I forgot about that until I saw this thread.

I do remember her getting stuck halfway one time I was there. S/he was pumping her legs like mad to get going again. I forgot about that until I saw this thread.

I remember reading somewhere, not sure if its true or not, that if Tinkerbell gets stuck (which happens) and a reasonable amount of wiggling doesn't get her on her way again, she's supposed to turn off her lights and just hang out up there until the fireworks are finished and the crowds disperse enough to safely bring in a truck with a boom lift to retrieve her.

When we did the Keys to the Kingdom tour several years ago, we did get to see the mattress at the end that she/he flies into. If you know where to look you can see it. I'll check with DH to see if he remembers exactly where it is. According to our tour guide, there was a weight limit. If I remember correctly it was between 95-105/110 lbs. and that these are contract workers and do not work for Disney itself. Also where they land at the end there are supposedly 2 guys (burly, I would assume) holding mattresses along the side as well as the mattresses at the end of the landing area. Sometimes these guys are forced off the landing area and they fall about another 3 feet or so onto more mattresses.

They should make it interesting and put red spots on the mattress and the guide can say it looks like tink came in a little fast last night.

They should make it interesting and put red spots on the mattress and the guide can say it looks like tink came in a little fast last night.

Lol that's funny buts its a bit too cruel for the kids...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter