Timeshare limitations in California

RWSmith

Earning My Ears
I recently read a comment that California has strict timeshare laws that have limited DVC at Disneyland. I’ve owned VGC for 10 years and have never heard of any such thing.

I believe it's the City of Anaheim that caps the number of rooms a timeshare can offer.

There is a cap in the Disneyland Resort Area Zoning Plan, which is managed by Anaheim. Disney is limited to 150 total units within the primary hotel district. Under Anaheim's definition - which is the only one that matters - VGC represents 71, as Anaheim define it by max available units.

To build out the additional 79 allowed in current code requires a Conditional Use Permit and a lot of okays from Anaheim. To build past 150 requires they do it not within that zoning district, which obviously creates an issue of value for Disney. There is an area where they could do a big new development, but it would be well separated from both the current resort area and from Downtown Disney, so tehir interest level in that path is extremely low.

Since *gasp* there is more to Southern California than Disneyland, why not build a DVC near a beach, or even in cooperation with another park, like Knott's (Cedar Fair) or Sea World and offer free bus transport to Disneyland/CA Adventure. Knott's has much to offer, but is a different experience than Disney. It's really too bad DIsney didn't buy Marineland of the Pacific in Palos Verdes a long time ago, and keep it open...unlike Sea World who bought it and closed it to boost attendance at it's San Diego park. That property today would've been a beautiful site for a DVC Resort, and they could've had bus service to Disneyland 2 or 3 times per day, even though it would've been a long ride. Or even bussing from the Queen Mary to/from Disneyland. But...hindsight is 20/20.

Last edited:
Since *gasp* there is more to Southern California than Disneyland, why not build a DVC near a beach, or even in cooperation with another park, like Knott's (Cedar Fair) or Sea World and offer free bus transport to Disneyland/CA Adventure. Knott's has much to offer, but is a different experience than Disney. It's really too bad DIsney didn't buy Marineland of the Pacific in Palos Verdes a long time ago, and keep it open...unlike Sea World who bought it and closed it to boost attendance at it's San Diego park. That property today would've been a beautiful site for a DVC Resort, and they could've had bus service to Disneyland 2 or 3 times per day, even though it would've been a long ride. Or even bussing from the Queen Mary to/from Disneyland. But...hindsight is 20/20.

Seems like some place like say, Newport Beach might have been good addition. It's a shame they didn't think of that.
:tiptoe:

Yep, I don't know what reasoning they used to drop Newport Beach. It didn't stop Marriott from buying the property and building a timeshare. Maybe Californians just don't want busses to the parks? It seems strange, given the limitations in Anaheim that DVC doesn't explore nearby areas close enough to bus guests back and forth, or build a peoplemover/monorail over traffic. I'm guessing a peoplemover would be cheaper than a monorail? But then they'd have to find a way to control guest behavior while en route. That would be easier with a bus. Even if they charged a separate fare for the monorail or peoplemover. And I'm not talking an open peoplemover, I'm thinking an enclosed version, more like this:

SAKuRgDvgGHBzE9VtkLArJGDk7d9__1dlRGxy8_UR5XSnj6DVbGSk46IiaqSwHC23AklKjLjYJwSXkhjiteyCKkSLFDSKPQQxzsjrm2HFQKy5XieFsZcOvew5F0Voycm_cS3V63eyLKxUdTNU_e_naEt0pFvGBq_24SW22COgaCX3TxjUtnoEWQBxu-0yMynhHJtyV88y7EyixeBHMHQ_iVOgF4YypcoYUXGhu6rBe-OA_hnr1PPg5hIAcLv2gRbqxSXo9IwJ9YYlpnUqLgyorYuZkkNWmMKBGloHpNIidxJCr1NCugMkosrvFSHsYpvmDo1ULnSA47qKaD8GywKabCh6rhpuwqcR6NYOZ6YkWD5RwLDqapFr_Q6X1VALtoy2RxHExLZ0fgRwEbonzaDskaKGoSV3JUd_SA2PiWK8MGmQXJkXdzrf9Me_88cI-YoyNYrmpQa-RMe1iKqDlldUaIaswqla1tQ3hXHwuDonBkkD3rjaCNSf2eBJftApgjrnONbbvxnSoDLb59VC9wKW18kcU3P2vghp-EW3_wv0r2gYOfDmUyqO_RJ4wbXYzYhx3iciVkFJi9lLVvuo5B53J1oZRY7ciJvD_x9UmOD1jUOzYlOkKJ4Vt6hv9FVEa_IcnI-5Xqe5YXkaR8lI1Ii6szVO7BuGto=w634-h383-no

Last edited:
Why build? Why not simply expand the Buena Vista Trading Company's list of exchange locations? Make the exchange relatively easy to book, minor fee ($95) and qualify eligibility to Direct/Grandfathered accounts. Bingo. More destinations, no building costs and minimal operations costs. More value to owners? Maybe. More eye-candy at the sales table? Certainly. More emotional pressure on resale owners/buyers? Maybe.

Seems obvious to me ... must be some really dirty devils in the details ...

Why build? Why not simply expand the Buena Vista Trading Company's list of exchange locations? Make the exchange relatively easy to book, minor fee ($95) and qualify eligibility to Direct/Grandfathered accounts. Bingo. More destinations, no building costs and minimal operations costs. More value to owners? Maybe. More eye-candy at the sales table? Certainly. More emotional pressure on resale owners/buyers? Maybe.

Seems obvious to me ... must be some really dirty devils in the details ...
That is also a good option.

Yep, I don't know what reasoning they used to drop Newport Beach. It didn't stop Marriott from buying the property and building a timeshare. Maybe Californians just don't want busses to the parks? It seems strange, given the limitations in Anaheim that DVC doesn't explore nearby areas close enough to bus guests back and forth, or build a peoplemover/monorail over traffic. I'm guessing a peoplemover would be cheaper than a monorail? But then they'd have to find a way to control guest behavior while en route. That would be easier with a bus. Even if they charged a separate fare for the monorail or peoplemover. And I'm not talking an open peoplemover, I'm thinking an enclosed version, more like this:

SAKuRgDvgGHBzE9VtkLArJGDk7d9__1dlRGxy8_UR5XSnj6DVbGSk46IiaqSwHC23AklKjLjYJwSXkhjiteyCKkSLFDSKPQQxzsjrm2HFQKy5XieFsZcOvew5F0Voycm_cS3V63eyLKxUdTNU_e_naEt0pFvGBq_24SW22COgaCX3TxjUtnoEWQBxu-0yMynhHJtyV88y7EyixeBHMHQ_iVOgF4YypcoYUXGhu6rBe-OA_hnr1PPg5hIAcLv2gRbqxSXo9IwJ9YYlpnUqLgyorYuZkkNWmMKBGloHpNIidxJCr1NCugMkosrvFSHsYpvmDo1ULnSA47qKaD8GywKabCh6rhpuwqcR6NYOZ6YkWD5RwLDqapFr_Q6X1VALtoy2RxHExLZ0fgRwEbonzaDskaKGoSV3JUd_SA2PiWK8MGmQXJkXdzrf9Me_88cI-YoyNYrmpQa-RMe1iKqDlldUaIaswqla1tQ3hXHwuDonBkkD3rjaCNSf2eBJftApgjrnONbbvxnSoDLb59VC9wKW18kcU3P2vghp-EW3_wv0r2gYOfDmUyqO_RJ4wbXYzYhx3iciVkFJi9lLVvuo5B53J1oZRY7ciJvD_x9UmOD1jUOzYlOkKJ4Vt6hv9FVEa_IcnI-5Xqe5YXkaR8lI1Ii6szVO7BuGto=w634-h383-no

I live very close to Newport Beach (all of 2 minutes from my home to NB), and I can tell you that it takes a good 20 minutes to drive from where I live to Disneyland, and that is with no traffic. With traffic, it can be up to an hour. NB is a great place and seems close until you throw all of the OC traffic in. Would be nice to have a nice beachfront resort around there though...

I have thought Garden Grove might work. It is just minutes from the parks (with no freeways) and they could easily have ongoing buses like at WDW there. And they would not have to deal with Anaheim and their zoning.

I am just glad I own VGC points so I can stay there a couple times a year (mixed with at least 1 cash stay at DLH every few years).

For those who like this kind of thing, the Disneyland Resort Area Plan is at https://www.anaheim.net/1017/Disneyland-Resort. It was adopted in 1993.

The DRSP includes five districts: the Theme Park District, the Hotel District, the Parking District, the Future Expansion District, and District A; it also includes two overlays: the C-R Overlay and the Anaheim GardenWalk Overlay.

Requirements for Vacation Ownership Resorts are in http://library.amlegal.com/nxt/gate...0$vid=amlegal:anaheim_ca$anc=JD_Chapter18.114.

One of the key bits is in 18.114.050:
Up to one hundred fifty (150) of the five thousand six hundred (5,600) guest rooms may be permitted as Vacation Ownership Resort units; additional guest rooms may be designated Vacation Ownership Resort units, subject to a Conditional Use Permit. All Vacation Ownership Resort Units shall be in conformance with Section 18.114.120(Requirements for Vacation Ownership Resorts).

I believe if Disney wanted to do something in the gardenWalk Overlay, Anaheim might work with them. The GardenWalk Overlay is a bit of a mess that could use investment. The timeshare unit limitation does not apply within the GardenWalk Overlay.

I live very close to Newport Beach (all of 2 minutes from my home to NB), and I can tell you that it takes a good 20 minutes to drive from where I live to Disneyland, and that is with no traffic. With traffic, it can be up to an hour. NB is a great place and seems close until you throw all of the OC traffic in. Would be nice to have a nice beachfront resort around there though...

I have thought Garden Grove might work. It is just minutes from the parks (with no freeways) and they could easily have ongoing buses like at WDW there. And they would not have to deal with Anaheim and their zoning.

I am just glad I own VGC points so I can stay there a couple times a year (mixed with at least 1 cash stay at DLH every few years).
Yeah, I remember reading something along the lines that it was the traffic and the amount of time it wold take to get to Disney that did in Newport Beach. But it would be nice to have another Disneyland resort.

It might not be right after reflections, but I think one of the next few resorts they build will be out in California. Either right next to the park or very close by.

but I think one of the next few resorts they build will be out in California. Either right next to the park or very close by.

Under Anaheim zoning, they cannot do this. They would need Anaheim to change the zoning code. Anaheim has no interest in doing so at this time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter