time to sell ??? because of all these wdw deletions

keithal

Earning My Ears
okw oct. member since 01/96, so glad now that i did not extend. should i sell ? if i do what company should i use to sell it.

Removed brokers since links not provided.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to DISBOARDS.

I have read for many it's always a hard to decision to make when it comes to selling their DVC points. . COVID times/all these cut backs is making it easier for some to sell for various reasons. It really is a personal decision. How many points, contracts? How often do you go? What are your intentions with DVC moving forward? Any children/grandchildren use it?

We had thought of adding on before all this and decided against it. We became empty nesters recently and want to travel more - supplement our DVC/Disney vacations. We have no intentions of selling and will cut Disney some slack for the next few trips. Waiting to see when and what the new "norm" will look like - hopefully sooner than later.

As of now, we might consider selling some points only if we purchased a condo in SC - maybe. If Disney keeps cutting, no AP, prices get out of control, we might still consider selling a few points and spend our $$ elsewhere. Two of our adult children have small contracts, my daughter and son-in-law love Disney. They were both in the CP program/met, got engaged and married in Disney. Hopefully we won't have to make that decision.

Good luck.

We're also 1996 OKW veterans. You'll do okay with the company you referenced and there are others out there (all with similar names) just google them.

If you aren't using your contract then sell, but if you are like us, just irritated with Disney these days but still will travel there keep them. I think there is still value in the 2042 resorts and OKW prices seem to have gone up a couple dollars recently...no one knows when the values will tank.

We own 6 contracts and plan to spend extended time there in the next couple years. As PO'd at Disney as we are, there really isn't a better place that we've found to accommodate our stays so we're still "in" for now...

If you are tired of going to Disney and DVC I would sell but, just because of the few recent announcements I don’t think it’s a reason to sell right now. Disney just like every business especially travel one is trying to make it out the other end of this pandemic. I think some of these decisions have probably been in the works to be slowly implemented the pandemic just made it easy to be the scapegoat. Nothing is normal right now, I’d hate for you to sell your contract which was purchased in the best time at a great price as you have not restrictions and the coveted blue card to want to get back into DVC feeling you made a mistake. Even if you are tired of Disney you could use those points for all the other collections and RCI of you need a break. My in laws bought in 96 also and she’s too feels Disney is not the same, we used to love the free tickets that came with every room until the year 2000. It was an awesome time back then.

I view these cutbacks on perks like this, if a company is on hard times there will be no bonuses given out and maybe cuts. If a company is doing good then bonuses may be given out.

Now the question remains when WDW economy begins its recovery will Disney reinstate some perks.

Pricing has been bananas high for months, especially with the constant ROFR for OKW. Getting out now is not a bad idea if your family is over it.

And it's not like it would be hard to buy in with some SSR if you change your mind in a couple years.

If I were selling right now, I'd use the board sponsor, DVC Resale. They have a fantastic app and do a lot of advertising on podcasts and so on, so they have the buyers out there.

okw oct. member since 01/96, so glad now that i did not extend. should i sell ? if i do what company should i use to sell it. dvc store dvcresale etc.
So, did you buy for the place to stay or did you buy for the benefits?

I've been a member slightly longer than you have (1995) and the only thing that I considered was pre-paying future vacations. So far that has worked out just fine. Along the way I also got some benefits but I never really weighted them when doing several add-ons.

@keithal, I agree with @OKW Lover. Be sure you are not "cutting off your nose to spite your face".

Perks come, perks go. Changes happen. IMO, many of the recent changes are either temporary or will eventually be replaced with something else. Some of those will be better for us personally, others not so much. People change. Priorities change.

If you don't see yourselves continuing to go to WDW, then for you, it might very well be time to sell. But if it's just disappointment that your trips won't be the same, consider carefully before you decide to get out. I am still looking forward to new attractions & restaurants, including Guardians of the Galaxy, Space220, Ratatouille, Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway, EPCOT Reimagined, etc., etc. IMO, EMH for every park will be a plus for us. I just want all of them to come sooner, not later!

I have been on the DISboards for more than 20 years. Every change has brought out feelings of disappointment and thoughts of selling - and sometimes, a minor "debate" between the "half-full and "half-empty" folks. Somehow, we always get through it. We will get through the pandemic. We will be able to enjoy Disney again.

Good luck with your decision, whatever it may turn out to be.

Last edited:
So, did you buy for the place to stay or did you buy for the benefits?

I've been a member slightly longer than you have (1995) and the only thing that I considered was pre-paying future vacations. So far that has worked out just fine. Along the way I also got some benefits but I never really weighted them when doing several add-ons.
I keep seeing it mentioned that people should not have bought DVC for the perks, but just for a "place to stay."

I find this strange logic. If you just want a place to stay, there are much nicer accommodations for half the price right off Disney property. Some are even closer to the parks than most DVC properties.

Literally the only reason I can see buying DVC would be for the onsite perks: ME, EMH, early FP booking window, onsite transportation, annual pass discount, etc. etc. If the OP wants to sell because the perks are gone, I think that makes perfect sense. Save that money from your dues and stay somewhere else...

I am going through this decision also with my BRV purchased in 2001.
I am more concerned about the Point Chart and Dues increases than perks.
My 200 points do not reserve as many nights since I choose to travel for the most expensive seasons...
I will never sell my BLT points!
Staying off property is not an option for my heart happiness.

I keep seeing it mentioned that people should not have bought DVC for the perks, but just for a "place to stay."

I find this strange logic. If you just want a place to stay, there are much nicer accommodations for half the price right off Disney property. Some are even closer to the parks than most DVC properties.

Literally the only reason I can see buying DVC would be for the onsite perks: ME, EMH, early FP booking window, onsite transportation, annual pass discount, etc. etc. If the OP wants to sell because the perks are gone, I think that makes perfect sense. Save that money from your dues and stay somewhere else...

I totally agree with this. I am part of a couple of DVC Facebook groups and the current trend of “you basically only bought into a timeshare, no perks were ever guaranteed” seems to be popular. Honestly, I would never buy into a regular timeshare. I will unapologetically state DID buy DVC for the “magical” experience, which will not be there if this trend continues.

If you still plan on staying onsite, I wouldn't sell just yet. I would recommend visiting a few times with the changes (especially post pandemic) and see how you feel about it then.

If you don't plan on visiting the parks and don't want to stay on property, then by all means sell. In the amount of time you've owned, you have certainly gotten good use out of it and if you are no longer interested in Disney, no reason to hold on to it.

Eventually selling our 160 BLT was always part of our long term retirement plan.

Once all of our NE+ tickets and AP Vouchers are used up (est 2026) we'll be in our late 60's. We are currently travelling more and the need for WDW is slowly diminishing.

I figure that if and when we sell, with the savings from yearly dues, and the proceeds from the invested sales, we could still go to WDW every so often and be $$ ahead.

Ive talk to people who have contacts that bought awhile ago and haven't been in years for a lot of reasons family ,work and just life in general. I asked why not sell them. They tell me no way its money in the bank they rent there points and after dues they pull in over 1500 a year and there investment is still there that just goes up in value.

Am I the only one that doesn't think the revised Disney stuff is a big deal? No Magical express kinda sucks but its not a deal breaker.
I agree I don’t think it’s a deal breaker. The parking issue at some of the resorts if everyone decides to rent a car instead will become annoying. At AK Kidani now and when we got here last night at 7:45 we got the last spot in our Pumba section and saw tons of cars have to circle around to try to find a spot elsewhere. We have never had that problem at Kidani before but more people are driving here right now than flying.

edited for bad autocorrect

Last edited:
I agree I don’t think it’s a deal breaker. The parking issue at some of the resorts if everyone decides to rent a car instead will because annoying. At AK Kidani now and when we got here last night at 7:45 we got the last spot in our Pumba section and saw tons of cars have to circle around to try to find a spot elsewhere. We have never had that problem at Kidani before but more people are driving here right now than flying.
Have they even said if there will be anything to replace ME? Its possible they just replace it with something else similar no?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter