Time to compare turkey prices

OP, hope you don't mind if I hijack slightly, but I was wondering how much a ham should cost? What's a good price per pound? I've never purchased a ham before and would like to have one for our Christmas party, but I'm kind of clueless when it comes to price :confused3 Thanks in advance!

Wow you guys have some low turkey prices!! I think last year I paid around $0.69/#. Today I got a circular for an expensive grocer in our area and they are advertising$0.79/#, so I bet the cheaper stores will come in around the same as last year. Haven't seen anyone else advertise yet.

.69 per pound it what I paid last year.

Update, was at Safeway yesterday, and they are advertising "Guaranteed lowest local price on turkey!" and were offering frozen turkey (not Butterball, but we NEVER buy butterball and are fine...) for $.59/lb **with additional $35 purchase**

However the prices in the rest of the store were so awful that I doubt we will be buying from them... I'm talking $1.99 for stove-top awful...

We're actually have Thanksgiving with the in-laws, but I'm hoping to pick up cheap turkeys for Christmas and to cut up and keep in the freezer. I still remember buying the giant turkeys at HEB for $.19/lb and using it in EVERYTHING when we were newlyweds... we ate turkey for months... :lmao:

We eat turkey once a year, thus we aren't going to skimp and pay almost nothing for a turkey full of water and salt. Paying for a turkey or ham really makes a difference. The cheap stuff is flavorless. Not what I want to cook for a huge family gathering.

My mother-in-law bought a cheap ham at the grocery store for Easter one year because she didn't think the first ham from a butcher for $.$$/lb would be enough. What a difference between the two.

I'd rather pay a measly $40 to feed a fantastic meal to a house full of guests for a party than $10 for something utterly tasteless.

Guess I'd better get in on Turkey Watch 2012 as I'll be cooking one this year.

MIL usually cooks it but last year I did everything BUT the turkey & hauled it to her house. I told DH if I was going to cook 9/10 of the meal, I'll just do the turkey too and they can come here!

hey when you post a good deal,please input the store and advertised price...otherwise how do we know how to get that deal? thanks! around here I see 1.19...not good at all IMHO

if I see a good discount we eat tureky multiple times per year,I love turkey dinners!:thumbsup2 hoping to stock the freezer with a few......

hey when you post a good deal,please input the store and advertised price...otherwise how do we know how to get that deal? thanks! around here I see 1.19...not good at all IMHO

And maybe a general location also, as that can make a difference. :thumbsup2

OP, hope you don't mind if I hijack slightly, but I was wondering how much a ham should cost? What's a good price per pound? I've never purchased a ham before and would like to have one for our Christmas party, but I'm kind of clueless when it comes to price :confused3 Thanks in advance!

I've seen store brand spiral cut hams (bone-in) for $1.79 to $1.99/lb last week (here in Denver). I lucked out and got a Hormel Cure 81 bone in spiral sliced ham for $1.99/lb. because Walmart had incorrect price tags up for them, and the manager honored the price on the shelf. It would have been almost $4.00/lb. BUT, the store brand (at least the Target store brand...Archer Farms) ham is REALLY good. We eat ham AND turkey all year long...not just at holiday time.

I also bought a Butterball turkey at Target for .99/lb Saturday night, but that was the last day of the sale. I'll probably be buying several more turkeys and hams during the holiday season since that's the cheapest they usually get all year, except for Easter.

We eat turkey once a year, thus we aren't going to skimp and pay almost nothing for a turkey full of water and salt. Paying for a turkey or ham really makes a difference. The cheap stuff is flavorless. Not what I want to cook for a huge family gathering.

My mother-in-law bought a cheap ham at the grocery store for Easter one year because she didn't think the first ham from a butcher for $.$$/lb would be enough. What a difference between the two.

I'd rather pay a measly $40 to feed a fantastic meal to a house full of guests for a party than $10 for something utterly tasteless.

Meh, not in my experience.

My sister buys the fresh, pastured, organic, gently raised, kissed-on-the-lips-and-tucked-into-bed-at-night, several dollars a pound turkeys from local farms. We go there every year for Thanksgiving. She has a variety of boutique organic farms around her, and she's tried several, wtih the turkeys all being pretty good.

Then we come home, and a week later I cook whatever bargain priced frozen turkey my grocery store has had on special. They taste pretty much identical to the one we had at my sister's house.

In NH, Market Basket has them for $.59/lb this week, and Shaw's and Hannaford will price match them.

Also, BJs just started their promotion of buying 4 out of a list of items and getting the turkey for free. I got one this weekend, as we needed the 4 items anyways, and had a pre-Thanksgiving turkey dinner last night :)

The new Target circular shows they are also running the Butterball turkeys at 99 cents a pound this week (at least here in Denver). There is also a coupon out this weekend for $3 off a Butterball turkey if you buy four Pillsbury or Betty Crocker (selected) products.

Meh, not in my experience.

My sister buys the fresh, pastured, organic, gently raised, kissed-on-the-lips-and-tucked-into-bed-at-night, several dollars a pound turkeys from local farms. We go there every year for Thanksgiving. She has a variety of boutique organic farms around her, and she's tried several, wtih the turkeys all being pretty good.

Then we come home, and a week later I cook whatever bargain priced frozen turkey my grocery store has had on special. They taste pretty much identical to the one we had at my sister's house.

I'd TOTALLY pay "several dollars per pound" to see a turkey with LIPS!:rotfl2: Rare as hen's teeth, those are... VERY gourmet!:rotfl:

So, another update:

(Crofton, MD) Wegman's has their 14-18lb frozen turkeys listed on the website for $.49/lb which is the best I"ve seen in our area so far. I imagine the price will be similar for the other sizes, but the website is weird and doesn't show that.

However, GIANT has a coupon they sent out good from 16-22 November for $2 off a $5 meat purchase, which, if they get their frozen turkeys close, could make theirs lower.

Compared to the price of all the other things I have to purchase to cook Thanksgiving dinner, the turkey is the LEAST of my concerns. :lmao: Apple Cider from our local orchard is about $8.99 a gallon this year :eek:

I only do a turkey breast because nobody likes the dark meat. I always buy the fresh (not frozen) kind and I pay somewhere around $20 for it. It's worth it to me to have plenty of breast meat and not have to deal with the extra parts that aren't going to get used.

For the poster who was asking about the ham: for my family's Christmas dinner I always buy the Cooks brand butt. I pay about $1.49/lb for it. For some strange reason my hubbys side of the family doesn't like spiral cut (something is obviously wrong with them LOL). At work, we always cook a spiral ham for the clients, and usually we get the Sam's brand wrapped in the purple foil from Walmart...I really like that kind, it's got a tasty glaze.

Stop and Shop in CT has their turkey's on sale, starting tomorrow, for 59 cents a pound. They state that they will match any competitors coupon or advertised price.

We have a coupon for $7 off a turkey at Big Y. I am going to see if they will take that so we can then get a big turkey for only a few bucks!

So, far that is all I have seen around here.

I still haven't seen any really low prices on turkeys this year...Safeway, Fred Meyer, Albertsons all seem to be at .99/lb. ...I was really hoping for .69/lb or less. :( I totally understand that costs have gone up, it is just disappointing that we may not have a turkey next year!

We have a frozen turkey from last year to cook this Thanksgiving (I paid .29/lb) but it looks like I might not be purchasing one this year for the following year. I can't really spend $20 on a turkey right now with the rising costs of everything. It is still inexpensive relatively speaking, but I just don't have an extra $20 in the food budget. We have already cut way back on our groceries and I make everything from scratch (which is way cheaper). We "go without" in a lot of cases so Turkey Day may be another if it continues like this! Lol

Our city does a turkey drive to help out needy families with a full turkey dinner. It is a bag with a turkey, cans of veggies, potatoes, pie, etc. It costs $20 to donate a bag to a family of 4 and I thought to myself, never have I spent $20 for an entire Thanksgiving dinner...what on earth is in that bag?! I spend maybe $10-$15 for the turkey, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, gravy, cranberries, stuffing, green bean casserole, etc and make it all from scratch...and that lasts us a week!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter