Thumping Our Way Through Disneyland.

I loved your description of the Aladdin show. That was one of my favorites when I went on a solo trip to DL about 5 years ago.

I didn't ride the Grizzly River Rapids. Didn't want to be too soaked. :lmao:

Aladdin has become one of my new favorites as well. I'm glad we finally got the timing down to see it. We'll definitely be seeing it again next trip.

As Lady H stated, we seem to have the luck on KRR, GRR, Splash Mountain (both of them), that we will land up the ones soaked. As hot as the days were, it felt really good. We've learned to dress for this.

Now that we are officially done with DCA, I can now provide you with a link to all the pictures we took. Some you may have seen, others you may have not. Some similar because obviously Lady H and myself were thinking alike. Next time we'll try to take more pictures. We'll at least try and take some of the things we missed on this trip. Whether or not you see those remains to be seen.

Disney California Adventure Pics

Here's the links to a few more photos that we took around DLR.
Downtown Disney
Disneyland Resort Hotels

what great chapters!!! I am so excited! I am SO hoping nebo gets a good report on his wrist and we can go in october!!!!

what great chapters!!! I am so excited! I am SO hoping nebo gets a good report on his wrist and we can go in october!!!!

I hope Nebo gets a good report on his wrist also. Not so much for the sake so you can both go in October, but more the sake of his well being. Lady H and I (well more I than her) have changed itinerary's 3 times already for our flights. We're looking to stay an extra day in Anaheim, and a couple of extra days near San Diego.

We'll continue praying for him. Hope he feels better soon.

The End is Near!

Final chapters coming soon to this TR.

Last chances to get your pie and cake recipes in for Lady H.

On this date last year, Lady H and I started this TR. We never imagined we would drag it out this long. With work and life often getting in the way, this TR has survived a long drawn out process. It’s barely alive and has been on life support long enough. I think it’s time to pull the plug and send this TR to its final resting place.

Now without further adieu, I bring you the final chapter/chapters (I may have to break it up into 2 separate posts) of Thumping Our Way Through Disneyland.

“Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else.” (Margaret Mead)

Lady H and I once again prepare to head back to DL. We bought park hopper passes and by golly we were going to get our use out of them today. One thing we wanted to do, but didn’t do and are now headed back to do, shoo be doo be doo, was to take night photos of DL. We had some from DCA, maybe not all of DCA, but we did have some. With the exception of the few we took of Fantasmic, we have zero of the rest of DL. We make our way out of DCA and head on over back to DL. I gotta say this is still my favorite part about DLR. Both parks being within walking distance of each other. Only about 2 minutes to walk from one gate to the other. Unlike WDW where the closest walk to the next park is 15 minutes; and those parks being Epcot to DHS, or vice versa.

Anyways, quite a few people were thinking like us. People were rushing over to DL. I think most are hoping to catch the 2nd showing of Fantasmic. We make our way down Main Street. It seems there was just as many coming in as there was coming. At least this will help balance out the crowd level.

We make our way towards the castle. We’re hoping to take a few more pictures with Walt and Mickey. Unfortunately so were several Japanese people. We waited, (queue Jeopardy music)...................................and waited.........................................................and waited.........................................................until finally we gave up waiting and just took some pictures of W & M.

These people would not leave or move. We were lucky to even take some pictures. While taking pictures, we hear a voice. “Our final showing of The Magic, The Memories and You will be starting in 15 minutes.” I start thinking, “Walt is that you? Are you back from the grave? And why do you sound like a woman?” We had totally forgot about this night time show. It’s probably already packed. We rush over to Small World in the hopes of at least getting a decent viewing spot. Upon our grand entrance we see it isn’t packed yet. In fact, there’s hardly anyone at all. We waited around for the show to start and grabbed a spot as close to the rail as we could get. 5 minutes til show time and not many people have come. Lady H and I had the railing all to ourselves. As it if we reserved this area and no one else was allowed to stand by it. The only thing we can think of is that everyone already saw the first show, then moved on to watch the fireworks and Fantasmic. Either way, we enjoyed having this space all to ourselves.

The Magic,The Memories and You was (yes WAS, as in it no longer exists) a night time show that took place at IASW. It seems Lady H and I got lucky to see one of the last few days for this show as the last official showing was on Labor Day of 2012; 3 days after we had seen it. Disney used several projectors to create this show. It was a show based on photos taken by the Photopass photographers and some of Disney’s animations. If you happened to have your photos taken by a Photopass photographer the day you visit, then there was a slight chance that your picture could land up in this show. This show also used to take place at WDW, although we never got the chance to see it at WDW. The show at WDW has since been replaced with a similar night time show called “Celebrate the Magic.”

Now that we got the brief history lesson out of the way, I bet you want to see some pictures.
This is Small World right before the beginning of the show.

And this is Small World after the show. Pretty isn’t it. (Note the lady that has her stroller parked where they ask people not to Park Strollers).

What do you mean you want pictures from the show? We were too busy watching the show that we didn’t take any.

Ok, ok. No need to send the lynch mob after us. I’ll post a few then, because even though we took several pictures; many came out blurry. We both forgot to change the settings ahead of time on our cameras. This is some of the better ones we have.

After the Small World show, Lady H and I made our towards Splash Mountain to take some pics over there. On our way, we stopped to take a few pics around Fantasyland.

On our way to Splash Mountain, we soon came to find out why there was no crowd at Small World; because mostly everyone was by Tom Sawyer’s Island watching Fantasmic. The CM’s did a pretty decent job keeping a path clear so we could just walk by. As we walked by, we notice other people have discovered our viewing spot. I’ll let them stand there for now, but when we come back in the future, they best be moving. Right now our objective is to get to Splash; not to ride it but to just take a night time picture of it. If we really wanted to, we could’ve ridden it. If I recall, the wait time was only like 10 minutes. Neither one of us wanted to get wet this late in the night. We finally managed to dry off from our soaking on GRR. This is one ride we’ve never done in the dark. There is a first time for everything, so we may have to ride it in the dark next trip. Doesn’t it look like it would be fun to ride in the dark?

Might as well take one of HM while we’re here.

And the train station. Which we would soon board.

While we were taking pictures, we could tell Fantasmic would soon be ending from previously having seen the show. We want to beat the crowd back to the front of the park, so we hop on the train. We don’t go all the way to the front of the park. We decide to take one last stroll through Tomorrowland. Now you would think since the primary reason we went back to DL was take night photos, we would’ve taken better pictures. These are some of the best we took.

Now just like MK, DL is a dry land. Lady H and I stop by the Matterhorn

and mix up our last Simply Lemonade. It may be a dry land, but we came prepared.

Lady H and I decide that its time to call it a night. What exactly we’re calling it remains to be determined, but we know we still have to finish packing and get ready to leave back home tomorrow. Plus we’re still at the mercy of the ART shuttle. If we miss the last one, we’ll have to walk back to the resort. It’s not too far of a walk, but after a long day, its like walking the Green Mile and we all know that dead men and women tell no tales (where have I heard that before).

On our way out we stop to take one last picture of Sleeping Beauty’s Castle

Fantasmic has finally ended and the crowd makes their way towards the exit.

One thing that is consistent at both WDW and DL is the running of the bulls at the end of the day. If you can’t beat them, and at this point I don’t even want to try, might as well join them. We take our final stroll down Main Street and prepare to exit.

Good-Bye Disneyland.

Until we meet again.

Lady H and I didn’t have to wait long for one last shuttle ride. There were 2 shuttles for our route this time. Why is it, this last ride is always the longest? Nothing major to report on this shuttle ride, but we did have to carry on a tradition that was started on this bus. Well not so much of a tradition but a nice gesture. The passing of the shuttle passes. The passes that were passed on to us, were still good for a few more days. We found a couple on vacation with their children. Since childs passes are much cheaper than adults, we struck up a conversation with them. We asked them if they just started vacation, which they had and then offered them the passes. We told them there were probably only a couple of days left, but this would help them out a little. They accepted them and thanked us whole heartedly just as we did with the lady who gave them to us.

Soon we arrive at our shuttle stop one last time. It was a quiet walk back to the resort. Not because we were tired, but because we knew this was it. The dreaded time when you know vacation is officially coming to an end. Lady H and I got back to the resort and continued packing. We had packed a little on our non-park day, but now we really needed to pack. Our flight leaves at 1:55 pm. Which means we have to be at the airport by at least 11:55 am. Which means we have to leave our resort no later than 10:55 am. If traffic is still as bad going to the airport as it was coming from the airport, then we may want to leave sooner than 10:55 am. Which means we have to be up early once again. We leave out only the stuff we need for the morning. Everything else is now packed and ready to go.

Now to honor the tradition we did start when we got here, sit out on the balcony and have some beers. Being there are only 4 beers left (3 for me and 1 for her), we made quick disposal of those beers. No more beer, no more park bottles, I guess we’ll take a nap now.

Well it seemed like only a nap anyways. The alarm goes off at 7. Morning seem to come around pretty quick. It must have been hiding around the corner.

We go through our usual morning routine. Please don’t make me repeat it. Lady H and I finish packing our remaining stuff. I start taking everything down and loading the car, making several more trips up and down the stairs. Once the car is loaded, we drive towards the front desk and proceed to check-out. Tricky Larry is already busy working on his next victims. It sounds like he has them hooked. We don’t stick around to see the outcome.

I program the rental car company’s address into Dru and we’re on the road again. As we drive along, Dru takes us a different route this time. One that doesn’t have tons of construction going on. Good thing I didn’t throw Dru out the window after all. We’re making it back to LAX in no time here. I tell Lady H “How come she didn’t take us this route the first time?” Lady H just shrugged her shoulders and laughed. Along the way we also passed Knott’s Berry Farm. Looks interesting. One of these days we may have to give it try.

We make it to Los Angeles in about 40 minutes. I’ll have to try and remember this route for next time. Dru is getting us close to Thrifty now.

Remember when we didn’t have any help finding a car? We felt like ex-prisoners being thrown back into society. We were given walking papers and forced to fend for ourselves. Not having help with this process is about to leave us in not such a good mood.

Anyone that has rented a car knows they have 2 options when it comes to gas for the car. You can prepay for a tank of gas, meaning you don’t worry about finding a gas station when you return the car. Or you can fill it up before you return it. I have always chosen to fill it up when I return it. Mainly for the reason being I found it saves you a few bucks. They charge you a certain price per gallon (which they claim is usually the average price), per the size of the gas tank in the car. If you only use half the tank, you still pay for a full tank. Most of the gas stations close by usually charge about 10¢ more per gallon than those not close to the rental car companies.

Anyways when we picked up the car, I opted to fill up the tank before returning it. We found a station about 2 blocks away from the company. I filled up the tank and proceeded to return the car. The person that checked us in comes over, zaps the tag on the car and asks for a gas receipt. I tell him “I’m sorry but I don’t have a gas receipt. I wasn’t told I needed one.” He sounds surprised by comment, "You don't have a receipt?" What part of "I wasn't told I needed one" didn't he understand. I tell him once more "NO. Again, I wasn't told I needed one. Would you like me to bring the transaction up on my phone?" He just shakes his head no, prints out my receipt and we proceed to the shuttle that will take us back to the airport. At first I didn’t think anything of it, but as we were on our way to the airport, I decided to look at the rental car receipt.

That . He charged me for the gas anyways. Not much I can do about it now. I’ll write a complaint to the main office when I get home. The reason this really ticked us off was because on the day we picked up the car, there were at least 2 employees we came in contact with that could've informed us about this. Neither one did. And even more, when I offered to bring up the transaction on my phone and show it to the person checking us in and he said no.

Back on the shuttle to the airport, we soon we get to checkpoint Charlie at LAX. I mean we literally get to a checkpoint.

“¿Que Paso Vato?”

Ok, I didn’t really say that. I’m sure I would’ve been dragged off the shuttle and detained against my own free will. Even if I willed it, I would still be detained. Being on the shuttle we were allowed a free get out jail card. Our driver was just waived on through. Anyone in a car wasn’t so lucky. They had to stop, be strip searched, tires taken off the cars, trunks inspected and then submitted to a full body scan.

We’re dropped off at the same place we got picked up. Lightning McQueen is still in the same spot. We proceed to check in our bags and prepare to go through yet another check-point. We both passed through with flying colors. Since we made it back faster than what we thought we would, we have some time to eat. We spot California Pizza Kitchen. This is one of our favorite places to eat. We had planned on eating at the one close to where we were staying. We just never got a chance to make it. This must be density.

We proceed towards CPK. One word of advice here if you happen to be in this part of the airport. When going towards CPK there are escalators to the left, right before you get to CPK. DO NOT go down the escalator for any reason. If you do, you’ll have to do the security check-point all over again. No, I didn’t find out the hard way. There’s a TSA agent standing by the escalator making sure no one is trying to run up the escalator. You know what all of us tried to do as kids. Come on everyone, you know you tried this at least once as a kid. I bet some adults have even tried it.

Now, back at CPK we each place our orders. We get our drink cups, fill them up at the drink station, go find a place to sit and wait for our number to be called. Said it would be about 5-10 minutes. They were pretty accurate with the time. Our number is called and I go to the counter to get our order. I take it back to the table and both pizzas are the same. I added some extra toppings to mine and I didn’t get them. I take mine back to the counter so they can fix it. I show them my receipt, show them the pizza and they proceed to fix it. Said give them 5-10 minutes to make me a new one. 10 minutes passes, no pizza. Another 5-10 minutes passes by and still no pizza. I go back up to the counter and try to get someone’s attention. I finally get noticed and I get the usual apology, we’re having a problem blah blah blah problem and it will be a few more minutes. Another 5-10 minutes passes by and I finally get my pizza.

Regardless of these 2 instances, the rest of the day would be smooth sailing. Or smooth flying I should say. When we took off, I didn’t think we were going home. When flights take-off from LAX, they head out towards the ocean. When this happened, I thought “Cool, we’re headed to Hawaii. I don’t have any money left, a room or clothes; but I can pretend I’m a castaway and sleep on the beach. Who cares I’ll be in Hawaii.”

I tell Lady H we’re flying over the ocean.

Now’s a good time to pay attention to the safety procedures the flight attendants point out to you. Put your oxygen mask on first. Forget about the kids until you have yours on, then pick to save the one with the most potential. Don’t worry if granny is struggling she’s already lived a full life, and on and on. I think the most important one to pay attention to here is about the flotation device under the seat.

Soon we’re really far out over the ocean.

Maybe we really are going to Hawaii. Or not. The pilots make a left turn and we’re now flying up the coastline.

Downtown Los Angeles

“They’re making another left turn.” We now start heading back towards the mainland. Shoot. I guess we’re not going to Hawaii after all. :sad: At least not this year. We will be sometime in 2014.

I continue to take pictures and soon I realize where we are at. I had to go back and find this specific post, but our good friend Ponzi couldn’t be further from the truth when he posted this. I wanted to comment earlier on this, but waited for this moment.

If you turn around to see where you came in as you entered, it's to your left and if you turn around for one last look at the castle before you leave it's to your right. If you're Nebo and you've had a few too many Sunny Ds, it's somewhere over your head as you lay prone on the pavement. After you leave Disney and fly back to your homes, it's below you.

Ponzi really hit the nail with his head on this one. If you recall one more time, I was talking about the DL Opera House. What I described as a mini Disneyland museum. Yup, it is now right below us in case you haven’t figured out what I’m looking. I'm sure you all did though.

I cropped the photo to bring it in a little closer and pointed out a few things that really stand out.

This would be my final glimpse of DLR for this vacation, but hopefully it won’t be the last time we ever see it. I wave one last goodbye, turn on my ipod and take a nap. Soon we would arrive back in Albuquerque, as would all our luggage. We call our Chauffeur (aka D’MIL). She picks us up and Miss Daisy moves to the back seat. Some how I’m stuck driving again. We stop to eat some New Mexican style cuisine at one of our favorite restaurants and head on home; where Lady H and I would anxiously wait for our return trip to WDW within the next 3 months. What can I say, one can never get enough Disney.

“Well, here at last, dear friends, on the shores of the Sea comes the end of our fellowship in Middle-earth. Go in peace! I will not say: do not weep; for not all tears are an evil.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien

Well my friends and fellow Dis’ers, this concludes our adventure of Thumping Our Way Through Disneyland. We are happy to say we will be returning to DLR this year and can’t wait. We have a few Dis meets in the works, but always welcome more. We hope you have all enjoyed this TR as much as we have enjoyed telling it. We’ll post one final chapter for some final thoughts and words. Post the remaining links to our pictures and comment on any comments. Please stick around with us just a while longer before we pull the plug.

Thanks for identifying the objects in Disneyland. All I could tell was that it must be DLR.

Thanks for identifying the objects in Disneyland. All I could tell was that it must be DLR.

There where 4 things that really jumped out at me that made me realize it was DLR: Matterhorn, Space Mountain, BTMRR and the DL Hotel. If it wasn't for those, I'm not sure I would've recognized it. It wasn't until I cropped the picture that I was able to identify a little more. I was definitely looking for it though. Had we been sitting on the other side of the plane, I doubt I would've seen it.

Now’s a good time to pay attention to the safety procedures the flight attendants point out to you. Put your oxygen mask on first. Forget about the kids until you have yours on, then pick to save the one with the most potential. Don’t worry if granny is struggling she’s already lived a full life, and on and on. I think the most important one to pay attention to here is about the flotation device under the seat.

that is just hilarious!!!

great report guys!!! you make DLR look like a lot of fun.. or maybe it's just you guys!!!

WHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaT??? Its over?
I thought it would go on forever.

So what did you not go on or see at DL?

Hi Thumpers! I am still working on catching up after our trip. It's hard to believe that your trip was a year ago. Where did the time go? :hourglass:

On another note, we are having a big deal at the local HEB grocery store this weekend for the "Hatch Chili Fest" I can't help but first think of chili as the beef and beans, and then I remembered your chili lesson here on this thread. ::yes:: Anyway I've been informed that you can only get the Hatch chili from Hatch, NM and we only get them here once a year. I bought some things but I missed the roasted peppers. Might have to pick some up tomorrow - don't know how to roast them myself. Are you familiar with these? Are they hot? I couldn't tell because the sauce and sausage I tasted today had Jalapenos in them.

I started a TR of our big adventure with the grandkids - link is in my siggie. Come on over! :wave2:

Hi Thumpers! I am still working on catching up after our trip. It's hard to believe that your trip was a year ago. Where did the time go? :hourglass:

On another note, we are having a big deal at the local HEB grocery store this weekend for the "Hatch Chili Fest" I can't help but first think of chili as the beef and beans, and then I remembered your chili lesson here on this thread. ::yes:: Anyway I've been informed that you can only get the Hatch chili from Hatch, NM and we only get them here once a year. I bought some things but I missed the roasted peppers. Might have to pick some up tomorrow - don't know how to roast them myself. Are you familiar with these? Are they hot? I couldn't tell because the sauce and sausage I tasted today had Jalapenos in them.

I started a TR of our big adventure with the grandkids - link is in my siggie. Come on over! :wave2:

Your link is going to an old joke thread. :(

Jill in CO

Sad to see a great trip report come to an end :sad1:

Great job, really makes me want to go to Disneyland!!

that is just hilarious!!!

You know what is even more hilarious, I didn't make that up. I remember on one of our flights, we did have a flight attendant that went through the safety instructions this way. He sure had everyone's attention.

great report guys!!! you make DLR look like a lot of fun.. or maybe it's just you guys!!!

Thank you Smidgy. :hug: I'm glad you enjoyed it.

It could be us, but we did have a lot of fun at DLR. Can't wait for October to get here.

WHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaT??? Its over?
I thought it would go on forever.

I guess this is the TR that ends after all. We could always keep it going into our next trip? :scratchin Who knows how long it would take us to write that report though. :rotfl:

So what did you not go on or see at DL?

Quite a bit actually. Off the top of my head, this is what I can think of.

DCA:
Goofy's Sky School
The Little Mermaid.
The Jelly Fish
The Swings (both of them.)
(For these rides; if you recall, on the day we dedicated to stay all day at DCA, it was extremely hot. TSM was down and so was California Screamin. This increased the wait times on these rides to 40+ minutes.)

Luigi's Tires
Mater's Junkyard Jamboree.
(Wait times were always 45+ minutes)

Nothing in Bugs Land. I know we probably could've gone, but figured these rides are geared more towards the young kids and toddlers. Didn't do ITTBAB either.

Muppets. (We wanted to go, but they didn't let us in with our sodas from lunch.)

DL:
Small World
Snow White (If I remember correctly, this ride was closed for refurb.)
Dumbo (Yes we took pictures there, but no we never went on the ride.)
River Boat or the other ship. (We tried to do this early, but it wasn't running yet. Never got back to it.)
Astro Orbiter
Captain EO
The race cars (Forgot the name. I want to say Tomorrowland Speedway, but don't think that's right. I think I may be confusing that with MK. I don't think it has the same name at DL.)
Finding Nemo Subs
Tea Cups (T_Man can handle coasters, but not the tea cups. I may have to next trip for Lady H.)
Jungle Cruise.

These are some of the one's I can think of at the moment. I'm sure there was still a lot we need to see and do. Again, with the weather been unusually hot, a lot of times we did stuff that was inside so we could stay cool. On our upcoming trip, we'll see if we can get to some of these we didn't do.

We started the TR over a year ago. Not quite a year yet for the trip, but I guess it's close enough.

Yes, we are familiar with them. We stock our freezer with it each year. Can't get enough of the stuff. We even take some with us on vacations as we need our "Chili Fix." :rotfl:

As to whether they are hot, yes and no. Some can get pretty hot, but they offer some that isn't. I think it's a luck of the draw actually. It also depends on what you consider hot. What you consider hot may not be hot for me, or vice-versa.

When hatch chili is sold, it's usually sold in 4 levels of hotness. Mild, Medium, Hot and Atomic Bomb (aka: Very Hot). There have been times we bought hot and it's A-Bomb Hot. Then there are other times we've bought hot and it's medium heat. Enough to get your tongue tingling, but not so hot that you can't enjoy it. If you like the taste but don't want the heat, mild is a safe way to go.

For us, medium is usually the way we go. :thumbsup2

Count me in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter