Throwaway Room - Offsite to Onsite Stays

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckelly14

DIS Veteran
Back in the fledgling days of Fast Pass plus (FP+), there was a real concern that 60 day FP+ reservations would only be available for those that had a Disney Resort reservation. At the time, only same day FP+ (SDFP) reservations were available for offsite guests, with no end in sight. Enter the "throwaway room", an on-site hotel reservation made to capture the 60 day FP+ window for offsite guests. I made my first throwaway room reservation in April 2014, and although I haven't made one since that time, the practice is still alive and well, as evidence by the 2500+ posts on the original thread started by mamabear0222 in January 2014. I was asked to post an undated, nuts and bolts thread for the throwaway room, which can be revised over time if needed. Without further ado:

What is a Throwaway Room?

A throwaway room is an onsite Disney Resort reservation, made by an offsite guest, for the purpose of obtaining onsite privileges. Typically these reservations are made with no intention of staying in the resort, hence the "throwaway" moniker. They are often made at The Campsites at Disney's Ft. Wilderness Resort or a value resort, and can be made for one or more days, up to the length of the offsite stay.

Why would someone do this?

Although offsite guests can now make 30 day advanced FP+ reservations, there are still advantages to making a throwaway room reservation if you are staying offsite:

1. 60 day + advanced FP+ reservations for the length of stay of your throwaway room, including the check-in and check-out days, up to the number of ticket entitlements you have.

2. Magic bands (MB) for everyone on the reservation.

3. Free parking at Theme Parks for the length of stay of your throwaway room, including the check-in and check-out days.

4. Admission to Extra Magic Hours (EMH)

5. Advanced dining reservations (ADR) 180 days prior to check in for the entire length of stay ("180 +10")

Do I need to actually check-in?

With the advent of online check-in, most guests do not even show up at the resort. If you check-in online, your MB is already active and can be used for Theme Park parking, FP+ and EMH.

For International visitors, it’s necessary to stop by the resort to pick up your MagicBands. @mamaofsix has reported the following:
“Magic Bands at the campsites are not delivered until the wee hours of the morning of your reservation.” (November 2018)

What is the FP+ advantage?

Many people book a throwaway room for just one night. They gain FP+ reservation privileges 60 days prior to check-in, and can make FP+'s for both the check-in and check-out day.

Edited on 2/23/19: The rolling window has been closed by Disney. The previous advantage of having a 60 day rolling window for the rest of your stay is no more!

Booking a stay every other night, to gain a sixty day window for your trip as well as the other above benefits, has been touted as another, albeit more expensive, strategy.

Is it worth it?

For most people, probably not. However, if you were buying MB for everyone anyway, it might be worth it. If you can snag a tent site for $55 plus tax, you can add 10 people to the reservations and receive 10 magic bands ($14.99 value per band). Also, you get free parking for 2 days ($50 value), not to mention 60 day FP+ availability. Just remember that you only get EMH and Parking for your check-in and -out days. I have seen people book throwaways for the entire length of stay to gain access to hard to find ADR's, and gain the 180+10 advantage especially during busy times. Considering staying at the Poly can be over $600 per night for a standard room, and you can find an offsite 2 bedroom can costs less than half that, I can understand the logic.

"This thread is not for debating whether or not this is a good, bad or allowable strategy. Posts/posters who ignore this warning will be removed accordingly"

Last edited:
the practice is still alive and well, as evidence by the 2500+ posts on the original thread started by mamabear0222 in January 2014. I was asked to post an undated, nuts and bolts thread for the throwaway room, which can be revised over time if needed.
Thanks for the new thread, ckelly. A suggestion to maybe put in a link to mamabear's thread so it is easy to find and not loose a wealth of information garnered there.

http://www.disboards.com/threads/throwaway-room-read-post-2041-or-2710-before-posting.3218652/

So, just for clarification, the ability to book FP+ is based on the length of your ticket, and not on the length of your resort reservation? Do I have that right?

So, just for clarification, the ability to book FP+ is based on the length of your ticket, and not on the length of your resort reservation? Do I have that right?
Yes. You can book FPs that correspond to the number of ticket entitlements that are linked to your MDE account.

Anyone with a valid ticket can book FPs.

I don't know if this is something that needs to be added to the "why would someone do this?" list or not. It is something that I have always wondered, but never really seen a good answer on the board.

What about booking bounce back offers? Could you book a "throwaway room", then during that "stay" book a bounce back for a future onsite trip (pending the current bounce back offer)? Do you have to be physically at the resort/campsite to make this call? If you pay for your room (no cancelling your reservation) and do online check in, do you even have to travel to Orlando? (I won't be using that last one myself, but it seems to be a logical extension of the "loophole" unless specifically disallowed)

Thanks for the new thread, ckelly. A suggestion to maybe put in a link to mamabear's thread so it is easy to find and not loose a wealth of information garnered there.

http://www.disboards.com/threads/throwaway-room-read-post-2041-or-2710-before-posting.3218652/

Thanks Dan for the first post! Your link is high enough in the posts so I don't think I'll have to add it.

:thanks: @ckelly14 for your hard work and very impressive update!!

That's the best explanation of the "rolling 60" that I've seen! :)

Thank your for the feedback!

I realize that for 90% of people seeing/reading this, this does not need to be said, but for the 10%:

YOU STILL NEED TO PAY FOR THE ONE (or more) NIGHTS even though you don't stay there. Make sure you add that cost into your calculations and budget.

I assumed that people would know this as I did put in a "Is it worth it" section, but perhaps I will add something to make sure this is clear.

I see that Hiro has replied but I will add this clarification. Thanks!

I don't know if this is something that needs to be added to the "why would someone do this?" list or not. It is something that I have always wondered, but never really seen a good answer on the board.

What about booking bounce back offers? Could you book a "throwaway room", then during that "stay" book a bounce back for a future onsite trip (pending the current bounce back offer)? Do you have to be physically at the resort/campsite to make this call? If you pay for your room (no cancelling your reservation) and do online check in, do you even have to travel to Orlando? (I won't be using that last one myself, but it seems to be a logical extension of the "loophole" unless specifically disallowed)

I assume you are correct, but I doubt this happens enough to make it a perk of the throwaway room, but thanks for the input!

While I don't intend to utilize a throwaway room I have to say this is the best description I've seen on the whole process..it was sorta a mystery for me up until this point so thanks for the description. I'm sure it will be vey helpful to use as well as the prior thread for past experiences purposes.

I just ran into this. I have a 4 night stay at Pop. I have a 10 day ticket. When 60 days opened up, I could only get FP+'s for those 4 days. Then as 60 days from each day after opened. I could get a FP.

Last edited:
I'm booking one night at Fort Wilderness, although it's not exactly a throwaway because I plan to camp there that one night for a treat for my kids, but we'll be staying offsite starting the night before and extending for a week. Will I be able to book that first day's FP at 59 days, when I book my FP for the second and third days (when we'll have the campsite), instead of waiting till the 30 days deadline? Does that question make any sense? :/

Last edited:
I just run into this. I have a 4 night stay at Pop. I have a 10 day ticket. When 60 days opened up, I could only get FP+'s for those 4 days. Then as 60 days from each day after opened. I could get a FP.

Correct. Once it goes to the "rolling" 60 days, the ticket entitlement, not the onsite reservation, determines the total number of days.

I'm booking one night at Fort Wilderness, although it's not exactly a throwaway because I plan to camp there that one night for a treat for my kids, but we'll be staying offsite starting the night before and extending for a week. Will I be able to book that first day's FP at 61 days, when I book my FP for the second and third days (when we'll have the campsite), instead of waiting till the 30 days deadline? Does that question make any sense? :/

Yes, you will be able to book the first 3 days 60 days before you campsite reservation, which will actually be 59 days from the start of your vacation, not 61 :scratchin

Yes, you will be able to book the first 3 days 60 days before you campsite reservation, which will actually be 59 days from the start of your vacation, not 61 :scratchin
Yes, you're right! 59 days :) I fixed it. Thanks!

Moving to the FP subforum where this Thread will be a STICKY!
Do you think it should only be the the fastpass subforum? There are several other great reasons one might want to book a throwaway....Magic Bands, parking, dining reservations. Having this thread only on this subforum will make it 'invisible' to folks who might want to avail themselves of this for other reasons. How about a sticky here and a copy to float on the main forum? Your thoughts?

Do you think it should only be the the fastpass subforum? There are several other great reasons one might want to book a throwaway....Magic Bands, parking, dining reservations. Having this thread only on this subforum will make it 'invisible' to folks who might want to avail themselves of this for other reasons. How about a sticky here and a copy to float on the main forum? Your thoughts?
Thanks, Dan. Your comments are appreciated! :)

The "rolling 60" is the biggest perk with Throwaway Rooms and with almost 1000 views of the OP in less than a day, it's been quite popular. With the thread being "stickied" along with mesaboy2's, ScrapYap's, and Cluelyss', it will receive the exposure it's due. If it were to languish exposure-wise, moving the thread will always be open for discussion.

So if an online check in is used do you actually have to check out if not going to the resort physically?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!