Thoughts on Magic vs Dream

mrsgthatsme

Mouseketeer
We sailed on the Dream this spring and had an amazing time. On that sailing we booked a placeholder and plan to sail again spring 2020. I have been reading threads on Dream vs Magic but none recent and completely applicable to our priorities, etc..., so I would love to hear your thoughts and comparisons. When we sail, our kids will be 13 and 10. We do not use the clubs, so that is a nonissue for us. We also do not eat at Palo/Remy.

These are the things we love about the Dream that I wonder if we would miss on the classic ships:
1) Midship Detective Agency- we loved this! (any chance they would add this on the magic class ships at some point?)

2)Mini golf (I don't think the Magic has this?)

3) TV options (again, wondering if the on demand might be expanded to the classic ships in the next few years?)

4)The overall newness, and look of the ship. We think the Dream is beautiful and I wonder if the age and size of the Magic would be a "let down" after our experience on the Dream?

5)The aqueduct- my kids love this and I worry that the slides on the Magic won't measure up.

6) I also hate to mess with success! :) We all left our cruise on the Dream feeling like it was the perfect vacation for our family. It feels like a bit of a risk to change that up! :)

However, despite these concerns, the idea of sailing on a different ship (DH, DD, and I have sailed the Dream twice) is appealing. I love the idea of seeing some different shows and trying different menus and restaurants (or is it likely that the Dream shows may be different by two years from now? I know they don't change too often!) I would love to hear what those who have experienced both ships think! Thanks so much! :)

We sailed on the Dream this spring and had an amazing time. On that sailing we booked a placeholder and plan to sail again spring 2020. I have been reading threads on Dream vs Magic but none recent and completely applicable to our priorities, etc..., so I would love to hear your thoughts and comparisons. When we sail, our kids will be 13 and 10. We do not use the clubs, so that is a nonissue for us. We also do not eat at Palo/Remy.

These are the things we love about the Dream that I wonder if we would miss on the classic ships:
1) Midship Detective Agency- we loved this! (any chance they would add this on the magic class ships at some point?)

3) TV options (again, wondering if the on demand might be expanded to the classic ships in the next few years?)

4)The overall newness, and look of the ship. We think the Dream is beautiful and I wonder if the age and size of the Magic would be a "let down" after our experience on the Dream?

5)The aqueduct- my kids love this and I worry that the slides on the Magic won't measure up.

6) I also hate to mess with success! :) We all left our cruise on the Dream feeling like it was the perfect vacation for our family. It feels like a bit of a risk to change that up! :)

However, despite these concerns, the idea of sailing on a different ship (DH, DD, and I have sailed the Dream twice) is appealing. I love the idea of seeing some different shows and trying different menus and restaurants (or is it likely that the Dream shows may be different by two years from now? I know they don't change too often!) I would love to hear what those who have experienced both ships think! Thanks so much! :)
My opinion only, of course, but I'd take the Magic over the Dream anytime.

Several reasons. It feels more comfortable. Smaller size, you get to know the people/CMs onboard better. Better shows than the Dream (don't think there's going to be a lot of changes in those, as Tangled is new, Twice Charmed has recently been redone, and Dreams is a classic). I like the dining rooms, although I've not experienced Rapunzel's Table yet. I think the dining rooms onboard both the Magic & Wonder are much nicer than onboard the Dream class ships.

I think the AquaDunk will be a different experience for your kids. And, I believe I've read that the Magic now has on demand on the TV. I could be wrong about that, though.

In my opinion... the Magic is my favorite ship out of the 4.

I always felt like just a number on the Dream class ships... I love them because they have my favorite sideways oceanview staterooms and a little more techie compared to the Classic class, but on the Magic... I felt like it was more personal and I got to meet and know more the crew members. The Classic ships just have a different feel to it compared to the Dream Class. Plus the itineraries are much better for the Magic/Wonder.

Also, if you go to Castaway Cay on the Magic/Wonder... it is AMAZING!! For me, I felt like we were basically on the beach by ourselves (even on the Family Beach) and Serenity Beach was empty when we popped over to visit.

I have heard that the Magic recently got all On Demand TVs after the last re-imagination.

After sailing all 4 ships my list of favorites is:

1-Fantasy
2-Magic
3-Dream
4-Wonder

To address some of your concerns, I was totally surprised how nice the Magic still is, we sailed her for the first time this past October. The Aquadunk is not quite at good as the Aquaduck though in my opinion. I’m kind of one and done each day on the dunk, whereas I can ride the duck over and over and over everyday, (or night).

I didn’t find any service aspects that were better on the Magic vs the other ships, however the CM’s on the Magic do seem to have a lot more pride in their jobs. In my experience the best service we’ve ever received was on the Dream, then Fantasy, Magic and then the Wonder.

For me, if I was picking between the Magic and the Dream, I’d probably go with the Magic because she has longer itineraries typically. I’ve gotten really spoiled over the last several years and won’t cruise for less than a 7 night trip, especially at the rates DCL charges.

Have you considered the Fantasy? If you like the Dream, you’re going to love the Fantasy!!!

To me, I turn it around, I say, which ports do you wish to sail to on your dates?

Go with the itinerary and destination that suits you, then that actually selects the ship.

They're both good ships, though I prefer the Dream. Here are some considerations:
  • Both ships now have on-demand TV.
  • The Magic's Aqua Dunk is shorter but more thrilling than Aqua Duck. Fewer people will ride it, so its line is shorter than Aqua Duck's.
  • No mini-golf, Midship Detective Agency, interactive art, virtual sports, Vanellopes, or Remy on the Magic.
  • Inside staterooms on the Dream are nicer than inside staterooms on the Magic due to the magical porthole.
  • The portholes on the family oceanview staterooms are much bigger on the Dream than on the Magic.
  • The Magic is very well-preserved, but does show her age in some areas. The Dream is newer & in better repair.
  • The Magic has better family pool deck hot tubs than the Dream.
  • The Dream has better family deck pools than the Magic. It also has a better adult hot tub than the Magic.
  • The Dream's Rainforest Room has a hot tub with view of the ocean, which the Magic does not.
  • Animator's Palate is better-themed on the Magic than on the Dream imo.
  • The kids' clubs are less crowded on the Magic.
  • My son's gluten-free diet was accommodated much better on both of the Dream-class ships than on the Magic.

I've only sailed on the Dream and Magic. I loved both for different reasons. Magic was my first Disney ship so I think it'll hold a special place in my heart always. I didn't think it showed it's age at all. It now has the on-demand movies so that'll be nice. I think overall I thought the Dream was prettier and I liked the bigger ship. I prefer the aquaduck over aquadunk, but I wouldn't hesitate to sail the Magic again. The one definite plus is the Magic has longer itineraries and you'll get to see new shows. Their Animator's Palate I think it better, I wasn't really impressed with the one on the Dream. I'll be sailing on the Fantasy next, which is something to consider since the ships are very similar, but you'd get different shows on them and a longer trip.

I've cruised on all as well, and at this point, based on my experience, I would choose Magic over Dream.

My reasoning isn't so much with the features of each ship but the itinerary and size. I've been on the Dream 3 times (the first 2 cruises we did was a b2b, and then a DVC member cruise) and did not enjoy the short cruise. It felt hurried and most people were cranky on the 3day/4day b2b we did. It was a little better on the member cruise, but felt the itinerary was not exciting.

Our cruise on the Magic and Wonder has been great itineraries and much longer cruises which gave way to a more relaxing atmosphere with the passengers. Although I don't like the idea of it, the behaviour of the passengers do affect how I view the cruise. And with the Alaskan cruise and British Isles cruise, the itinerary set the tone.

Although, I do miss the Aquaduck...I think DCL should do more interesting itineraries for the Fantasy, with possibly much longer cruises. I'd definitely look into that.

I think Shanti's post really breaks down the differences very well. I lean towards the classic ships because I like less people on a ship however I was pleasantly surprised to experience the Fantasy for the first time, her crowds really didn't bother me and her service was the best so I can understand why she is a bit more pricey than the classics.

I love the Magic and she's kind of our favorite but you might be surprised at how small it is compared to the Dream. I don't think you will be disappointed though.

My favorite ships in order:
1. Fantasy
2. Magic
3. Wonder
4. Dream

Thanks so much to all for the detailed and very helpful breakdowns. Such good information to ponder. In terms of itinerary, we will likely be doing a 4-5 day cruise (although in a perfect world we’d love to do a longer one someday!)

1. No, but the Edge Club sometimes has scavenger hunts. Might that be appealing to your kids?
2. No, but there is shuffleboard!
3. The Magic has on-demand now
4. The Magic is beautiful and just had an update.
5. Quick, but scary slide with a drop.
6. Although the Wonder is my favorite ship, my favorite cruise was on the Magic.

The Magic has Tangled, which I think is the best show on any of the ships. On the day of the show, O'Gills turns into the Snuggly Duckling and there is a find-a-thug scavenger hunt of the ship.

if your cruise visits Castaway Cay, the island is much nicer with fewer people. Also, if you family are Marvel fans, the Magic offers Marvel Day at Sea cruises.

It's hard for me to separate the destination from the ship. Therefore I would have to pick Magic and Wonder as my favorites. I like the newness of the Fantasy and Dream, but I don't like the adult areas. The kids clubs are better on the newer ships. I guess if you don't use the kids clubs then you don't use the adult areas either. My advice would be to choose a cruise with a better itinerary then Nassau and CC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter