Thoughts on buying add on points at RIV

BreezysMom

DIS Veteran
OK DVC experts, my head is spinning trying to read other threads getting an answer so I am going to throw this out to you...

We own 150 points at Poly- we bought it re-sale in 2018 (it was actually a great deal fully loaded with points so it was a good buy) We love the Poly and all our main stays will be at the Poly. But now my husband and I are empty nesters with the ability to travel whenever and we can plan ahead etc. We recently tried the renting market and had a lovely 3 night stay at the RIV and now my husband wants to take advantage of a deal DVC is offering and adding on 50 points direct. Our thoughts is that a 2-3 night stay at the RIV is perfect for us as you feel like you are kind of away from things but can get to EPCOT, DHS fairly easy etc.

Yes, I know that we will not get benefits with only 50 pts which I am ok with...I think...

Here is my hold up which may cause you all to spin my head more, we have not stayed anywhere but the Poly and the RIV. Our initial thought was to rent points for long weekends and try out resorts like Beach Club or Boardwalk as I like the location. Now Disney sends some email to my husband and I am feeling the pressure.

OK, experts...what are your opinions on all this. Happy to clarify any info as well.

I think the incentives only apply to 100 points and above. But on the bright side it gives you more time today try out other resorts. I personally think RIV is great! I have direct points there and I'm adding on resale at OKW.

Edit: it does say additional savings are available for other point purchases, so its wouldn't hurt to ask a guide.

Last edited:

We also added on at RIV in February (after a 6 night stay in a 1 br. we were hooked!). Now we'll do split stays at VGF and RIV when it's just DH and I. Our only regret was not buying sooner!

We added on to RIV having never stayed (though I finally got to tour it in May!). We did so for similar reasons: our kids are teens and the oldest is going to be a senior in high school this fall. Our kids have gone from only loving MK and AK to loving all the parks, and so it’s nice to have an Epcot area resort. We’re also thinking ahead once they’re grown and being able to do long weekends ourselves for Food & Wine. We love BCV and BWV but don’t love the 2042 expiration. 21 years is still a long time but we’ll be retiring around then (hopefully) and want the option to keep going, pass to the kids, or worst case sell, rather than just have it expire. So RIV it was! We like the location and the Skyliner option. Only thing I’d do differently is have gotten a Guaranteed Week!

OK DVC experts, my head is spinning trying to read other threads getting an answer so I am going to throw this out to you...

We own 150 points at Poly- we bought it re-sale in 2018 (it was actually a great deal fully loaded with points so it was a good buy) We love the Poly and all our main stays will be at the Poly. But now my husband and I are empty nesters with the ability to travel whenever and we can plan ahead etc. We recently tried the renting market and had a lovely 3 night stay at the RIV and now my husband wants to take advantage of a deal DVC is offering and adding on 50 points direct. Our thoughts is that a 2-3 night stay at the RIV is perfect for us as you feel like you are kind of away from things but can get to EPCOT, DHS fairly easy etc.

Yes, I know that we will not get benefits with only 50 pts which I am ok with...I think...

Here is my hold up which may cause you all to spin my head more, we have not stayed anywhere but the Poly and the RIV. Our initial thought was to rent points for long weekends and try out resorts like Beach Club or Boardwalk as I like the location. Now Disney sends some email to my husband and I am feeling the pressure.

OK, experts...what are your opinions on all this. Happy to clarify any info as well.
As others mentioned, 50-pt contracts aren’t usually eligible for discounts… that aside, this is where the beauty & brilliance of DVC truly lies! You can stay at all the other resorts, fall in love, and want to add on at all of them. 🤩

Since your resale will not allow you to book RIV with your Poly points, I would definitely add on if you loved it there!! Then you can take your time using all of your current (restricted resale) and new (unrestricted direct) points to try out the rest of the resorts… and let the addonitis begin!!! 😆

I personally would not “waste” the time and money spent renting when you already know you love the Riviera. Could you fall in love another resort? Sure… and you probably will… but will that change the fact that you love RIV (& can’t book their currently)? Nope. I’d jump in!! 😉

I’m not sure I’d buy a 50 point contract at all. The closing is killer.

But if a 50 point RIV contract is what you want then do it. The math is questionable against renting, but this isn’t always about math.

Ok so I am right there with you, I looooooved the RIV when we visited in February and I want to add on there! It's beautiful, I love the pools, the dining options, the rooms, the whole thing buuuuut I am getting hung up on the fact that the skyliner doesn't run when its storming.... and it's Florida, capital of random storms lol, which means busses bleh. Is this really a big deal? Does the skyliner stop operating on a frequent basis? Or am I just paranoid lol?! We love the walkability of BWV to Epcot and HS, but hate the expiration year of the contract :-( We own at Copper Creek, but would love to also have an option at Epcot/HS areas.

If you can swing it, I would add direct at RR. You know you love it. Why pay to rent when you can use that money to own and use your Poly points as SAP? RR Resale prices are $140-$150ish, so direct with promotions isn’t too far off at around 200 points. Plus, you may get last year’s points if you pick a UY September or later.

We plan to be empty nesters zipping around the Skyliner for F&W, FofA, F&G, etc., and while it shutting down for storms does concern me, once we can go in October onwards, it shouldn’t be an issue.

Do you want the tower studios? Is that why the smaller contract? Because you will need direct points to book there, and all the other room categories will eat up 50 points in a day of two.

I love the vibe of BW and Stormalong, but the rooms themselves are kind of meh, to me. With DVC, we definitely enjoy our room and amenities more. We are older parents and don’t just want a place to crash. We enjoy the large, bright, elegant rooms, and compact footprint of RR.

My husband is diabetic, and while we’re fine now, one of the reasons I was so gung-ho on RR is scooter accessibility later in life and the dedicated RR Skyliner stop. We spent a long time watching and waiting for scooters to be loaded on buses at Caribbean Beach our first trip in 2019, and man, what a hassle. I felt bad for the scooter people who were put on display with a hostile crowd watching and waiting for them to figure out how to get on. It took forever in the sweltering heat.

My uncle is doing a big family trip at OKW in November with all his adult kids and their spouses — after just having a knee replacement. That makes me nervous for him to deal with buses and elevator access. If he gets tired and wants to go back to rest, that’s a lot of moving parts to get back to the room if he’s not on a boat accessible park area.

We’ve done two separate weeks at RR so far and are trying out the two-bedroom there next month with my sister, BIL, and niece. So far we love it more and more. Only category we haven’t done is 3-bedroom (the dream!) and tower studios, but we toured both and liked them, too. I think we’d be happy in a tower for a weekend, but after that might be claustrophobic.

It’s REALLY nice to have so many good food options on site and under protective covering, too. We’re traveling peak hurricane season, but even if the Skyliner is out of service, we’re more than happy doing dinner takeout at Topolinos or lemon ricotta pancakes at Primo Piatto, maybe a slushy drink at Bar Riva with that salad nicoise. You’re definitely not stuck doing a PB&J!

My husband is diabetic, and while we’re fine now, one of the reasons I was so gung-ho on RR is scooter accessibility later in life and the dedicated RR Skyliner stop.

I went in April to do the tour with a family member in an expensive, zero turn radius wheelchair, and I was not impressed with the accessibility, especially a resort built from the ground up.

We were just on the tour, and my family member had to back up in the hallways because the wheelchair didn’t fit in the hallways with someone’s luggage and someone’s double stroller. And that’s in a zero turn radius chair that is easy to do this in. I can’t even imagine in a rental scooter.

We waited ten minutes for an accesible skyliner car, not busy weekday mid-day, watching empty cars go by. They stop the whole line to load a wheelchair at Riviera, as opposed to endpoint stations, where they pull out a pod. This means you have to get someone’s attention to get them to stop the line. Easy enough with someone who can get up and grab someone, but they put you in facing away from the employees, they don’t let you back in. I can see how this would be difficult riding alone in a wheelchair.

The elevator situation is confusing at a lot of DVC hotels, but RIV was tough. The elevators are nowhere near the lobby, which is on the second floor with a big staircase. Are these things the end of the world, no, but I did expect more from a brand new hotel.

I went in April to do the tour with a family member in an expensive, zero turn radius wheelchair, and I was not impressed with the accessibility, especially a resort built from the ground up.

We were just on the tour, and my family member had to back up in the hallways because the wheelchair didn’t fit in the hallways with someone’s luggage and someone’s double stroller. And that’s in a zero turn radius chair that is easy to do this in. I can’t even imagine in a rental scooter.

We waited ten minutes for an accesible skyliner car, not busy weekday mid-day, watching empty cars go by. They stop the whole line to load a wheelchair at Riviera, as opposed to endpoint stations, where they pull out a pod. This means you have to get someone’s attention to get them to stop the line. Easy enough with someone who can get up and grab someone, but they put you in facing away from the employees, they don’t let you back in. I can see how this would be difficult riding alone in a wheelchair.

The elevator situation is confusing at a lot of DVC hotels, but RIV was tough. The elevators are nowhere near the lobby, which is on the second floor with a big staircase. Are these things the end of the world, no, but I did expect more from a brand new hotel.
This is good to know. My parents are coming December of 2022 and we’re going to rent two scooters. Are there more streamlined ones we should look for?

Are there any DVCs that are more scooter accessible?

This is good to know. My parents are coming December of 2022 and we’re going to rent two scooters. Are there more streamlined ones we should look for?

Obviously, the easiest plan is walking distance. BLT/VGF/Poly/BW/BC. The walking path to HS is no big deal when you've got a motor.

The buses can be a challenge with the scooters, especially if there's a bunch of people with scooters. I'd take the Skyliner over a bus, for sure. It's pretty amazing at end points and as long as you have someone to help.

At one point, we split up and put the chair rider on a bus to Boardwalk instead of Beach Club, because there was a big line for wheelchairs, and not for other people.

You'll notice some weird quirks on accessibility, like there are no buttons on the Beach Club doors, and at one point a cast member asked my guest to get out of the chair. (Bet she won't do that again!) But these are minor quibbles compared to the real world.

I have no explanation for the Riviera narrow hallways though. It's not like anyone who has ever been to any Disney hotel hallway would be surprised by scooters and double strollers and maid carts and scooters parked everywhere.

We have had them at VGF, BLT, BCV, and RIV. Had great experience at all of them and none were harder than any other. Though our rooms at BWV and BCV were the farthest ones from the elevators but that was luck of thr draw.

We loved the ease at RIV, especially with the Skyliner. The cars that hold a scooter have a special metal pin near the top that is pulled out and this is how the system and CMs know which one to use as well as tells the system to send it off to the pull off at the other stations.

We used www.scooterbug.com as they gave the 10% DVC discount plus we didn’t need to be there for pick up or drop off.

My only recommendation is to bring your own door stop to hold the door open so the person can drive in and out with ease. Because of the spring loaded door, we had to try to hold it and sometimes it was a little tough with space, especially at BLT.

Contrary to what I advise aspiring couples and newlyweds, here you should sleep around to make an informed decision before committing to RIV due to resale restriction. I would rent a stay at BCV and/or BWV before deciding. If you then say BCV/BWV aren't for you, then you can buy RIV or buy elsewhere to rent out (and use the $ to rent RIV).

My husband is diabetic, and while we’re fine now, one of the reasons I was so gung-ho on RR is scooter accessibility later in life and the dedicated RR Skyliner stop. We spent a long time watching and waiting for scooters to be loaded on buses at Caribbean Beach our first trip in 2019, and man, what a hassle. I felt bad for the scooter people who were put on display with a hostile crowd watching and waiting for them to figure out how to get on. It took forever in the sweltering heat.
It is always interesting to me how people can experience the exact same thing, and come away with totally different feelings… as a person who uses a personal motorized WC, and owns at RIV, I agree that RIV is an excellent choice & I love the Skyliner! However, I much prefer the stop at CB to the one at RIV. In fact, I have actually driven over to CB (from RIV) for better (& easier!) access to the HS Skyliner. As @RoseGold said, at RIV they stop the entire Skyliner line for you to load/unload. I’m very comfortable with my driving, and I’ve actually asked them to not stop it all the way at RIV’s station for me- and they’ve said no. I hate knowing I’m slowing the entire line down!! Whereas at CB (EP, HS & I assume the AoA/Pop), I just roll up to the special queue for WC users and I’m happy knowing that no one has to be stopped for me ☺

We waited ten minutes for an accesible skyliner car, not busy weekday mid-day, watching empty cars go by. They stop the whole line to load a wheelchair at Riviera, as opposed to endpoint stations, where they pull out a pod.
The long waits (@ completely non-busy times) are REAL. You wait, looking for the Mickey head sticker in the upper right-hand corner of the cab (indicating WC-accessible), you see one, and it’s full… you repeat this cycle several times until the CM finally radios to one of the other stations that they need to send one that’s empty. Of course, other times, you roll right up & an empty WC-A cab is heading your way! It’s all luck… but at the other stops, you are guaranteed an empty WC-A cab (bc, again, they pull them out… which is soooooo nice!).
Again, I think RIV is very accessible & I love it! My chair is pretty compact & super maneuverable (which may differ from rental scooters), but I don’t feel like it was any harder to get around cleaning carts there than anywhere else. I would say that VGF might be my favorite when thinking strictly about WC-accessibility, but RIV would be right up at the top as well.
Obviously, the easiest plan is walking distance. BLT/VGF/Poly/BW/BC. The walking path to HS is no big deal when you've got a motor.

The buses can be a challenge with the scooters, especially if there's a bunch of people with scooters. I'd take the Skyliner over a bus, for sure. It's pretty amazing at end points and as long as you have someone to help.
Agreed. However, I don’t like the Poly (ok- I love it! but I hate the bumpiness of the pathways- they can cause pain &/or make me feel sick). The other 4 mentioned are all awesome, but have their “quirks.” I would also add that WL & AKL are very accessible (though that obviously means buses for transportation). The only resort I stay away from (bc of accessibility) is OKW- you must reserve an accessible room to make sure you don’t encounter stairs (there are no elevators). I also would echo all that @Sandisw said- especially to bring a doorstop (I use the same kind that bell staff use- it goes on the hinge instead of under the door). Good luck! 🍀

I’ve actually asked them to not stop it all the way at RIV’s station for me- and they’ve said no. I hate knowing I’m slowing the entire line down!!

And they won't let you back up into the Skyliner. I get that the rental scooters are impossible to back into anything. But there are plenty of modern chairs that can back up with exact precision. They have to use the blocks to keep you from rolling backwards, apparently that's the policy.

I'm still not sure how you would get off if you are alone and using a chair.

This chair is not the smallest, but it's nowhere near the size of a rental scooter. If that wheelchair can't clear a double stroller, no way a rental scooter is.

We loved the ease at RIV, especially with the Skyliner. The cars that hold a scooter have a special metal pin near the top that is pulled out and this is how the system and CMs know which one to use as well as tells the system to send it off to the pull off at the other stations.
I'm still not sure how you would get off if you are alone and using a chair.
As @Sandisw said, they have a system. They usually ask me if I’m staying on or coming off at RIV, so I’m always ready, but I will just call out “I’m getting off here!” if they don’t ask right away 😉 (it has happened when 2 CM’s were talking and not paying attention… remember- the doors open, so they will hear you- whether you’re a helper or the WC user).

I’ve done it tons of times by myself, no issue… I know I must be my own advocate when flying solo, and I’m ok with that.

If you can swing it, I would add direct at RR. You know you love it. Why pay to rent when you can use that money to own and use your Poly points as SAP? RR Resale prices are $140-$150ish, so direct with promotions isn’t too far off at around 200 points. Plus, you may get last year’s points if you pick a UY September or later.

We plan to be empty nesters zipping around the Skyliner for F&W, FofA, F&G, etc., and while it shutting down for storms does concern me, once we can go in October onwards, it shouldn’t be an issue.

Do you want the tower studios? Is that why the smaller contract? Because you will need direct points to book there, and all the other room categories will eat up 50 points in a day of two.

I love the vibe of BW and Stormalong, but the rooms themselves are kind of meh, to me. With DVC, we definitely enjoy our room and amenities more. We are older parents and don’t just want a place to crash. We enjoy the large, bright, elegant rooms, and compact footprint of RR.

My uncle is doing a big family trip at OKW in November with all his adult kids and their spouses — after just having a knee replacement. That makes me nervous for him to deal with buses and elevator access. If he gets tired and wants to go back to rest, that’s a lot of moving parts to get back to the room if he’s not on a boat accessible park area.

We’ve done two separate weeks at RR so far and are trying out the two-bedroom there next month with my sister, BIL, and niece. So far we love it more and more. Only category we haven’t done is 3-bedroom (the dream!) and tower studios, but we toured both and liked them, too. I think we’d be happy in a tower for a weekend, but after that might be claustrophobic.

It’s REALLY nice to have so many good food options on site and under protective covering, too. We’re traveling peak hurricane season, but even if the Skyliner is out of service, we’re more than happy doing dinner takeout at Topolinos or lemon ricotta pancakes at Primo Piatto, maybe a slushy drink at Bar Riva with that salad nicoise. You’re definitely not stuck doing a PB&J!
Food options? At Riviera? It’s just Topolino’s and Primo Piatto, where, alas, I have yet to have a good meal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter