This is Us- Season four

... in a believable fashion. For me anyway. Or maybe it's the combination of the early dementia and the poor aging that does it.

Rebecca isn't suffering from early dementia (EDIT: using early in terms of age ) So there is no early dementia being portrayed.

Early-onset Alzheimer's can show up as early as 30s. It is a different form and can progress very quickly.

Rebecca is somewhere around mid-sixties. She is simply showing signs of mild cognitive decline at a normal age for early signs of an issue (often times missed - as it was by two of her children - but then understood looking back), given that it will unfortunately progress over time to what we all know as full blown dementia.

I liked the episode. Loved that Madison was able to set Kate straight and Kate and Toby are back on track.

Yes!

And -

Wasn't it nice to see Kate with an older Jack in the garage? Meaning the chances are good she is still with Toby at that point!

But as I am typing it does make me wonder if she has passed away in the fast forward. Not because she didn't arrive in tandem with Toby. Many reasons for that. But because Toby has never seen Kevin's home.

---------

And that scene still makes me wonder if Kevin is a single father at that point. Madison being the mother fits into that scenario.

I also thought it was strange when she said she was aware of his adoption story from his speeches.

Yes strange. Pretty well verging on stupid.

Last edited:
Oh Randall -

I felt opposite to most.

Although irritating to see I feel it is completely normal reaction for him to be combative, stubborn and seemingly trying to play a game of chess with the therapist. Trying to be one step ahead of her.

I think for anyone it might be a completely normal reaction to initial therapy and excepting help. But for Randall? His issue is keeping control. He's stubborn and thinks he knows better than everyone. And it is not like he sought therapy out on his own accord. He went because Beth suggested it and Kevin backed her up.

---------

I think he will look into the role he has played for Rebecca his entire life. Not remotely blaming Rebecca for Randall's challenges, just think that is where it will go.

Last edited:
One thing that I found particularly notable was that Madison was likable in last night's episode, which could indicate that the writers are trying to endear her to the audience and she is indeed Kevin's future fiancee and baby mama? Time will tell, haha.

I think the therapist is somehow connected to his campaign manager. Remember he was targeting the Asian vote in the election? That would explain why she's heard all of his speeches. Or she's a crazy stalker, take your pick.
I don’t know what targeting the Asian vote has to do with anything. As far as I’m aware, Pamela Adlon is not Asian?

After almost letting this show go, what a fantastic season. So well done.

Loved young Kevin throughout the entire episode. The actor is brilliant, he shows Kevin's cocky and playful personality with such ease.

His report card introduction was hysterical! :rotfl2:

Canadian content night. Insert wink.

Joni Mitchell's Both Sides Now made me think of this killer scene/season finale (Judy Collins version).

One of the best moments in television -

I was also so glad that Kevin did not cave in and take Rebecca to the sushi place and blow off the dr. appt. Especially when Randall told his therapist, "just wait, my phone will ring by the end of this hour with my brother telling me he forgot to take mom to the appt."

Oh Randall -

I felt opposite to most.

Although irritating to see I feel it is completely normal reaction for him to be combative, stubborn and seemingly trying to play a game of chess with the therapist. Trying to be one step ahead of her.

I think for anyone it might be a completely normal reaction to initial therapy and excepting help. But for Randall? His issue is keeping control. He's stubborn and thinks he knows better than everyone. And it is not like he sought therapy out on his own accord. He went because Beth suggested it and Kevin backed her up.

---------

I think he will look into the role he has played for Rebecca his entire life. Not remotely blaming Rebecca for Randall's challenges, just think that is where it will go.

I agree, Randall feels his role is always to be in control, be dependable and strong. It is the persona he adopted years before and one therapy session is not going to change that. The camera being so tuned on him during the session did not give him the opportunity to hide or deflect his feelings, he was facing them full on. It was an effective technique to show how trapped he felt in that chair, having to let someone take control for a bit. I hope his future relationship with the therapist is positive and productive for him.

I felt a little bad for Kevin when Rebecca pigeon-holed him into the role of "fun one" that can help her forget her problems. Yes, that is a strength for him, but he should have the space to feel afraid or sad as well. All the Pearson children seem to have their "role" in the family. That role did originate from their ingrained personalities, but there is no room for personal growth for any of them if they feel trapped in those roles.

While I had leaned toward Kevin v Randall since Thanksgiving, I am even more sympathetic with Rebecca’s plight. Of course she would ask Randall to keep her secret, even if only temporarily. (And Randall was more than happy to oblige by plotting out her path himself.) Rebecca needed time to deal with her illness and wanted to disrupt her children’s lives as minimally as possible. And now, Kevin has reason to be her champion for fun and normalcy. There are many different ways to deal with a life changing diagnosis. Rebecca loves her family. However, by leaning into her sons’ strengths, she is inadvertently pitting them against each other. @okeydokey I was still editing when your post came up! Totally agree!

I have always found Madison necessary comic relief for the viewers and Kate. I do not deny that I cheered inwardly when she and Kate had 1st breakthrough in parking lot, and she was the perfect maid of honor for Kate. Madison was portrayed as being superficial and inconsiderate from her 1st scene. Her character has grown and developed the past 4 seasons. Not to mention that I love the juxtaposition of the girl who seems to have it all becoming best friends with the girl who didn’t believe she deserved happiness. Writers broke many stereotypes with Kate and Madison dynamic. It doesn’t hurt that Dan Fogleman knows exactly how to play up Caitlin Thompson’s acting ability. This doesn’t mean I am not still team Kevin and Sophie forever!!

While I had leaned toward Kevin v Randall since Thanksgiving, I am even more sympathetic with Rebecca’s plight. Of course she would ask Randall to keep her secret, even if only temporarily. (And Randall was more than happy to oblige by plotting out her path himself.) Rebecca needed time to deal with her illness and wanted to disrupt her children’s lives as minimally as possible. And now, Kevin has reason to be her champion for fun and normalcy. There are many different ways to deal with a life changing diagnosis. Rebecca loves her family. However, by leaning into her sons’ strengths, she is inadvertently pitting them against each other. @okeydokey I was still editing when your post came up! Totally agree!

I have always found Madison necessary comic relief for the viewers and Kate. I do not deny that I cheered inwardly when she and Kate had 1st breakthrough in parking lot, and she was the perfect maid of honor for Kate. Madison was portrayed as being superficial and inconsiderate from her 1st scene. Her character has grown and developed the past 4 seasons. Not to mention that I love the juxtaposition of the girl who seems to have it all becoming best friends with the girl who didn’t believe she deserved happiness. Writers broke many stereotypes with Kate and Madison dynamic. It doesn’t hurt that Dan Fogleman knows exactly how to play up Caitlin Thompson’s acting ability. This doesn’t mean I am not still team Kevin and Sophie forever!!
I think Caitlin is his wife. :)

ETA to clarify ~ Dan Fogelman's wife.

Last edited:
I was also so glad that Kevin did not cave in and take Rebecca to the sushi place and blow off the dr. appt. Especially when Randall told his therapist, "just wait, my phone will ring by the end of this hour with my brother telling me he forgot to take mom to the appt."
Yes! I was just cringing waiting for Kevin to miss the appt and was so happy when they showed them all with the doctor.

I was wondering the same thing and didn't recognize her either. I also thought it was strange when she said she was aware of his adoption story from his speeches. If there was some significance to that it went over my head.
I'm thinking she's getting to Randals built his whole life/identity around his "story." That's where I thought she was going with it all... and as if Randal seems to need to feel needed which is why he feels all the pressure from the family etc., because he's put this in his head that he's needed to probably protect his vulnerability of his insecurities about being adopted and being part of the "triplets" etc.

I'm thinking she's getting to Randals built his whole life/identity around his "story." That's where I thought she was going with it all... and as if Randal seems to need to feel needed which is why he feels all the pressure from the family etc., because he's put this in his head that he's needed to probably protect his vulnerability of his insecurities about being adopted and being part of the "triplets" etc.

That's a good point. - Deep down, he felt like his birth family didn't need him, so he made sure his adopted one did! It puts a little more of the explanation on him, and not just Jack and Rebecca suggesting or encouraging it.

It's definitely a complicated dynamic, but probably similar to a lot of families in the kids fall into "roles" that get unconsciously reinforced.

I think they were trying to show that Kevin had grown and matured and Rebecca hadn't noticed or accepted it.

Rebecca isn't suffering from early dementia. So there is no early dementia being portrayed.

Early-onset Alzheimer's can show up as early as 30s. It is a different form and can progress very quickly.

Rebecca is somewhere around mid-sixties. She is simply showing signs of mild cognitive decline at a normal age for early signs of an issue (often times missed - as it was by two of her children - but then understood looking back), given that it will unfortunately progress over time to what we all know as full blown dementia.

The actual name of what she has doesn't change my point. Yes, I suppose she has to be mid-60's. So not early onset anything. That's sort of my point. Maybe if she looked mid-60's I'd find the story line more believable. (Yes, I get that some younger people get it, but it's not the norm so not where my mind goes with this).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter