This is just so sad,,and makes me ask WHY would someone do this?? I don't call it 'playing'??

I saw a bit of the interview this morning. Heartbreaking.

I am going to guess and hope that the interviews are done at the suggestion or at least the ok from their lawyers.

He said that he had his arm around her and HE was going to knock on the window and she slipped and fell. I am more confused than ever on what he thought about the window. But he is adamant that he thought there was glass. He said it was like it was there and then it wasn’t.

But he did explain why he picked her up instead of just letting her bang on the one at her level. He says she couldn’t reach it. He tried and could barely reach it. I don’t know what is there to block them from reaching it but maybe others that have been on the ship could explain?

OK, here's a telling quote.

Noting a discrepancy in how long Anello was holding Chloe, Begnaud said, "the grandfather actually looks out the window for about eight seconds. He reaches down, he picks Chloe up, and he holds her over the railing for nearly 25 seconds."
Begnaud is a reporter who presumably saw the video from RCI. I don't see anyway a REASONABLE person can stand next to the window for eight seconds and not realize it's open.

I still think he picked her up for a better view and she somehow squirmed out of his grasp. Maybe SHE thought there was glass.

But he did explain why he picked her up instead of just letting her bang on the one at her level. He says she couldn’t reach it. He tried and could barely reach it. I don’t know what is there to block them from reaching it but maybe others that have been on the ship could explain?
Nothing. Go back and watch the video again...
Specifically at 1:17. Look at the bottom glass. There's nothing that prevents HIM from reaching it, and I highly doubt the toddler couldn't reach it. My guess is he just didn't want (or couldn't) bend down for long.

Nothing. Go back and watch the video again...
Specifically at 1:17. Look at the bottom glass. There's nothing that prevents HIM from reaching it, and I highly doubt the toddler couldn't reach it. My guess is he just didn't want (or couldn't) bend down for long.

I knew I didn’t see anything before. But he describes reaching out to touch it and could only reach it with his fingers so he knew she could t reach it. At this point, lying certainly isn’t beneficial so why would he?

I feel so bad for this family. Personally, I think this was a tragic accident and do not think the man should be convicted of anything. It’s just adding to the tragedy and not really the point of charges and convictions.

I knew I didn’t see anything before. But he describes reaching out to touch it and could only reach it with his fingers so he knew she could t reach it. At this point, lying certainly isn’t beneficial so why would he?
I think he's mentally told himself he picked her up to bang on the window. I think he thinks he's telling the truth, but I think his mind is actually blocking the truth (if that makes sense)

I feel so bad for this family. Personally, I think this was a tragic accident and do not think the man should be convicted of anything. It’s just adding to the tragedy and not really the point of charges and convictions.
I do wonder if the family hadn't come out with guns blazing and accepted at least SOME responsibility if that would have changed the prosecutors choice. Of course, the prosecutor would never admit it (rightfully so).

I agree that although this incident was 110% preventable without his incomprehensible actions, I certainly don't see how prosecution serves anyone justice. That said, they also need to BACK OFF civil action against Royal Caribbean. The cruiseline has done absolutely nothing wrong and if it comes to it, I hope they fight the family with every conceivable resource possible.

I think he's mentally told himself he picked her up to bang on the window. I think he thinks he's telling the truth, but I think his mind is actually blocking the truth (if that makes sense)

I do wonder if the family hadn't come out with guns blazing and accepted at least SOME responsibility if that would have changed the prosecutors choice. Of course, the prosecutor would never admit it (rightfully so).

I would find it very wrong if the decision to prosecute came from them threatening to sue.

I think he honestly believes what he is saying. I just don’t understand someone not saying “are you sure?” At least.

It is clear that the family, including the grandfather, are still just using the media to push their civil case. Their case is summed up in their quotes saying that “there should have been signs.”

I really liked how he said he was color blind and couldn't tell that the window was open. I'm like, don't you push on what you think is supposed to be glass with your hands and find air?!

Because they're dumber than Prince Andrew.

Before CBS aired excerpts of the interview last night on the Evening News (the world news, not the regular), I kept telling my dad that this guy needs to shut up and not do any interviews....

I would find it very wrong if the decision to prosecute came from them threatening to sue.
We will never know. I just wouldn't be surprised if that factored into it.

I think he honestly believes what he is saying. I just don’t understand someone not saying “are you sure?” At least.
I think he's been asked that. I also think his brain is blocking out what really happened as a protective measure. Simply asking "are you sure?" isn't going to change his answer.

The video should be pretty definitive. If, as the reporter claimed, he stood at the open window for eight seconds before picking up the toddler (Chloe, right?), there is really no way he didn't know the window was open. If his senses are dull enough that he couldn't tell, he shouldn't have been put in charge of a toddler.

I watched the whole interview on CBS. I can't help but feel horrible for the grandfather. Not in a million years do I think he did this with malicious intent. He had a terrible, terrible lapse in judgement. He'll never recover from this. And as he said, nothing will change what hell he is already in. I wish that kind of grief on no one.

With that said . . .

I think the video footage is likely horrific to watch. The fact the prosecution still went forth after the mother pleaded for them not to is damning. He was clearly negligent, and the law has to hold him accountable. (although I think he is already living his life sentence)

I believe the grandfather thinks he is telling the story accurately. I am sure it happened quickly, and your mind will play tricks on you in circumstances like this -- incredible how the mind is self protecting.

As for being colorblind, what colors does he have trouble seeing? If it is the blue/green then that could have played a factor, but a small one. They said the video shows him peeking outside the window for at least 8 seconds alone. You'd think you would feel a breeze, warmth of hot air, or something else to alert other senses. Maybe even a smell of the pier/ocean or sounds of outdoor activity (it is very loud on the docks on embarkation day.) I cannot place entire blame on window tint. There is a series of of events that lead to this accident, they all linked together. Being colorblind is one link the the chain, not the whole chain.

I wish the family would stop placing blame on RCCL. At some point you have to look inward and realize it was a terrible tragedy, but RCCL didn't cause this to happen. I guess they aren't there yet, and there is nothing else to do except hope some day they will get there.

It is clear that the family, including the grandfather, are still just using the media to push their civil case. Their case is summed up in their quotes saying that “there should have been signs.”
The poor mother, who has all my sympathy, keeps saying "we can't let this happen to another child". Truth is, scores of cruiseships have windows exactly like these and have been sailing for decades. Millions and millions of passengers on thousands and thousands of voyages. It's never happened before - never. Why? Because no one has ever held a baby out an open window before. Mic drop.

On a recent cruise we had EVERY ANNOUNCEMENT in 6 languages. Every written announcement was in 6 languages. Would there then need to be AT LEAST 6 signs for "Caution, widow opened" plus something in Braille maybe on the railings??? :duck:

TWO HANDS FIRMLY GRASPING ENERGETIC 18 MONTH OLD when holding not an arm while reaching to knock on the glass. Actions by humans often have dire consequences. Acceptance of the error made must come from within but acceptance of the results might never occur.

I wouldn't even put my child next to a closed window to have her bang on it. I wouldn't trust the window.
If he felt she simply had to bang on glass, it could have so easily been done on the (fixed and very sturdy) windows at floor level. In the linked article, or maybe it’s the video, there’s a picture of her doing exactly that at the hockey rink - banging on the glass while standing on the floor. :sad1:

I agree that although this incident was 110% preventable without his incomprehensible actions, I certainly don't see how prosecution serves anyone justice.
I think a fair outcome is a guilty verdict/plea to some degree of a manslaughter or a negligent homicide felony. And a suspended jail sentence because it was an accident with an undetermined level of recklessness.

The prosecutor probably has seen evidence that appears to show recklessness or negligence involved in the death, not a reasonable accident. So the grandfather is charged criminally.

I agree that although this incident was 110% preventable without his incomprehensible actions, I certainly don't see how prosecution serves anyone justice. That said, they also need to BACK OFF civil action against Royal Caribbean. The cruiseline has done absolutely nothing wrong and if it comes to it, I hope they fight the family with every conceivable resource possible.
I watched the whole interview on CBS. I can't help but feel horrible for the grandfather. Not in a million years do I think he did this with malicious intent. He had a terrible, terrible lapse in judgement. He'll never recover from this. And as he said, nothing will change what hell he is already in. I wish that kind of grief on no one.

With that said . . .

I think the video footage is likely horrific to watch. The fact the prosecution still went forth after the mother pleaded for them not to is damning. He was clearly negligent, and the law has to hold him accountable. (although I think he is already living his life sentence)

I believe the grandfather thinks he is telling the story accurately. I am sure it happened quickly, and your mind will play tricks on you in circumstances like this -- incredible how the mind is self protecting.

As for being colorblind, what colors does he have trouble seeing? If it is the blue/green then that could have played a factor, but a small one. They said the video shows him peeking outside the window for at least 8 seconds alone. You'd think you would feel a breeze, warmth of hot air, or something else to alert other senses. Maybe even a smell of the pier/ocean or sounds of outdoor activity (it is very loud on the docks on embarkation day.) I cannot place entire blame on window tint. There is a series of of events that lead to this accident, they all linked together. Being colorblind is one link the the chain, not the whole chain.

I wish the family would stop placing blame on RCCL. At some point you have to look inward and realize it was a terrible tragedy, but RCCL didn't cause this to happen. I guess they aren't there yet, and there is nothing else to do except hope some day they will get there.
I think a fair outcome is a guilty verdict/plea to some degree of a manslaughter or a negligent homicide felony. And a suspended jail sentence because it was an accident with an undetermined level of recklessness.

The prosecutor probably has seen evidence that appears to show recklessness or negligence involved in the death, not a reasonable accident. So the grandfather is charged criminally.
As I mentioned last week in post 1089, prosecutors in Puerto Rico feel it is their DUTY to prosecute the case, and that is why they're going forward with it. I don't know enough about law, or differences between the US and Puerto Rico, to know whether there is a certain reason for this.

Small update today with a couple of new tidbits I don’t think we’ve heard before during grandfather’s first court appearance:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...th-cruise-ship-arrives-court-Puerto-Rico.html
There are several witnesses, including two from overseas, who will be asked to testify about what they saw prior to the little girl falling out the window

Prosecutors in Puerto Rico consider it their duty to prosecute and feel certain they have enough evidence to secure a conviction on negligent homicide charges, which are a misdemeanor there, but could carry a sentence of three years in prison
*see article*

I’m blue/yellow color blind. I can still see color and differing shades, just not how everyone else sees it. So if a car goes by that is orange, I’ll identify it as being pink. Or if you put a blue card next to a green card and tell me to point to the green card, I can tell they are different shades of color but I can’t identify which one is green. And in fact being color blind makes picking up camouflaged things easier. I simply don’t see how being color blind is any excuse for not knowing the window was open.

This is horrible for their entire family. I feel for them and their loss. The poor grandfather has to live with this for the rest of his life.

What if though, he meant to do it, subconsciously. I mean who knows really about how this man felt prior to this accident. It sounds terrible but not 1 person knows how he felt at the moment he picked her up and put her outside that window. I've been on 5 cruises and I KNOW 100%, without a doubt, whether a window is open or not. It's that obvious. Color blind, blind, whatever. You would reach out and touch it, if you were at all worried you assumed wrong. The fact that he stuck his head out for 8 seconds before is telling of something.

Just playing devils advocate here. No matter what happens this poor child isn't coming back and this mans life has changed forever as well as her parents, siblings. Nothing that happens going forward is going to right this wrong or make any of them feel any better. Money from a lawsuit against RCC won't make their lives whole again either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter