Thinking of taking the plunge....

klamb55

Earning My Ears
So we are starting to seriously consider DVC. Here are some details about us:

I am 46 and my gf is 41. She has 2 daughters one who is 19 & 1 who is 9.

I have a son who is 7.

We just got back from a week long trip but my son (the 7 yr old) did not go as he is deathly afraid of any rides still and he has some skin issues so cannot be in the sun long.

We know we want to go back yearly which is why we are considering DVC in the first place.

I work in retail as a regional manager so Nov-Dec is never and option. We are leaning towards traveling in Feb & October.

This being said I am seriously conflicted at the type of room we need to be thinking about for the next few years.....which is what I need to look at to determine how many points would be a good starting point.

Leaning towards 130-150 points resale market.

Any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Depending upon resort, you might be able to get a studio that sleeps five, but I'd highly recommend a one bedroom that sleeps five instead. With a budget for 150 points, the number of days you would be able to stay in a one bedroom would be limited, however.

I have a family of 5 as well. I originally thought 120 to 150 points would be enough but I ended up with 180 point AKV to start with and an additional 25 point AKV so we could do 7-8 days during the summer in a 1 bedroom villa.

We are also a family of five and planned on staying in studios but I am already trying to figure out how we can do a small add on to stay in 1 bedrooms. If you can swing a few extra points for a 1 bedroom you will probably be glad you did.

With a 19 yr old daughter, you'll want a one bedroom at a minimum. October can be tough at seven months out, so buy your favorite resort and book it at 11 months out for October.

October is busy. Part of DVC peak season. If you travel in October, expect to book during home resort, and have limited/no chance to change at 7 months UNLESS you book a 1BR, and even there maybe not have a full range of options.

175 points would be the minimum points I would buy.

because 1x every other year won't happen....you will be going 1x a year if not more. and once you try a 1 bedroom, you will never do a studio again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter