Think they'll hold the flight?

As u said, out of your control at this point. Hope your DS makes it as getting delayed would be annoying for you to pick him up.

My ds's college baseball team as well as the women's softball team were leaving out of JFK last year before (right in the beginning) of a snow storm in February. The bus came to the college late, and hit major traffic. My ds texted me about 30-45 minutes before the flight was to take off that they were still about an hour away.

I am guessing someone on the bus called the airline or whomever since they arrived at the airport about 90 minutes late, all were whisked very quickly through security and they got on the plane with a bunch of very annoyed passengers (heck, I would have been one of them too).

I guess it just depends but my ds's plane was held and they flew JetBlue from JFK to MCO.

DS texted me that they're on the ground in ATL and will "most likely be delayed". They weren't off the first plane yet. I told him they may need to run through the airport...

"I ain't running, half of us can't even run." :rotfl2:

Yea, they didnt make it. :( .Waiting on alternative booking. Dont even know if they've cleared customs yet.

It depends on the airline, when we were going to Disney World on this last trip, our flight was delayed due to mechanical issues and then we had to wait for a new crew. Well there were people trying to get to Puerto Rico on our flight and the next available flight would have been two days away, so they did indeed hold the next flight for them and requested that the rest of us remain seated until they were off the plane.

This was with Jetblue, so again, it may depend on the airline as well as what flights are coming up that can get you to your destination.

They were still going theough customs when their plane left. I can understand not holding it. If they were theough customs, different story.

But now he gets in at 1015. Half the team gets in at 815. We'll be home about midnight.

What time is their flight? I have found that later flights, like late evening/night flights I have had more experience with them holding flights for me and/or waiting while they held planes for others. I'm sure there's a formula they use as to the cost/benefit for them, but that's been my experience. I agree the best thing they have going for them is that they're such a large party.

What time is their flight? I have found that later flights, like late evening/night flights I have had more experience with them holding flights for me and/or waiting while they held planes for others. I'm sure there's a formula they use as to the cost/benefit for them, but that's been my experience. I agree the best thing they have going for them is that they're such a large party.
They missed their scheduled connection. They split the group up. A bunch made the next flight and they arrived. DS got the second flight, and when they were getting ready to board, there was some accident behind the plane, so they delayed boarding. He’s still in ATL.

But I don't really think they were too happy with having to stick around, and given some of the current issues with plane travel/flight crews/people getting removed from planes, I'm not sure what would happen if passengers delayed now.

I looked up the Magic, and it shows as being made in 1996? Being disruptive on an airplane has always been an arrestable offense. My mom’s neighbor in 95ish was arrested on a plane (well, when they landed, at least) and got a nice fat felony conviction. (While in jail his wife, who was tired of all the stuff I’m hosnpersonality that led to him being disruptive on a plane, divorced him.) The people not making it possible for that plane to take off were lucky...

"I ain't running, half of us can't even run."

Wait, a soccer team can’t run?

They missed their scheduled connection. They split the group up. A bunch made the next flight and they arrived. DS got the second flight, and when they were getting ready to board, there was some accident behind the plane, so they delayed boarding. He’s still in ATL.

Ugh.

Get a hotel at the airport, head on out, and make it a fun extra night of his trip?

I looked up the Magic, and it shows as being made in 1996? Being disruptive on an airplane has always been an arrestable offense. My mom’s neighbor in 95ish was arrested on a plane (well, when they landed, at least) and got a nice fat felony conviction. (While in jail his wife, who was tired of all the stuff I’m hosnpersonality that led to him being disruptive on a plane, divorced him.) The people not making it possible for that plane to take off were lucky...

Wait, a soccer team can’t run?

Ugh.

Get a hotel at the airport, head on out, and make it a fun extra night of his trip?
I think they’re dead on their feet. Training sessions every day + games the last three nights.

A hotel wouldn’t be a bad idea if DW and I had clothes, we’re taking another parent home, and DD wasn’t home by herself. Lol

It depends on the airline, when we were going to Disney World on this last trip, our flight was delayed due to mechanical issues and then we had to wait for a new crew. Well there were people trying to get to Puerto Rico on our flight and the next available flight would have been two days away, so they did indeed hold the next flight for them and requested that the rest of us remain seated until they were off the plane.

This was with Jetblue, so again, it may depend on the airline as well as what flights are coming up that can get you to your destination.
In this specific example, because it was mechanical reasons, the airline would have to put you up for two nights until the next flight, or interline you on another airline. For weather or ATC issues they have no such obligation. It really depends on the originating cause of the short connection, and how soon the next flight they can get you on is. The terms of carriage covers most of it as well as some FAA regulations, but it's sure to put most people to sleep. :)

Just to finish the story...

60 people on the trip. They were still in customs when their connecting flight left.

They split the group up on the three remaining flights going to the same destination... one arriving at 8:15, one arriving at 10:15, and one arriving at 11:30. DS got put on the one arriving at 10:15.

The one at 8:15 came in with no issues.
Before DS's flight started boarding, there was apparently a collision between two planes behind DS's flight, so they wouldn't board anyone until that was clear (add 45 minute delay).
Once they boarded, there was some kind of mechanical issue that they had to get maintenance out for (add 45 minute delay).
DS landed at 11:45P. By the time he got off the plane, we got luggage, and we left the airport, it was 12:10A.

Everybody is home safe, even if annoying timing, and that's what matters. Glad to hear it all came through in the end and nobody spent the night at an airport. :)

Just to finish the story...

60 people on the trip. They were still in customs when their connecting flight left.

They split the group up on the three remaining flights going to the same destination... one arriving at 8:15, one arriving at 10:15, and one arriving at 11:30. DS got put on the one arriving at 10:15.

The one at 8:15 came in with no issues.
Before DS's flight started boarding, there was apparently a collision between two planes behind DS's flight, so they wouldn't board anyone until that was clear (add 45 minute delay).
Once they boarded, there was some kind of mechanical issue that they had to get maintenance out for (add 45 minute delay).
DS landed at 11:45P. By the time he got off the plane, we got luggage, and we left the airport, it was 12:10A.

How annoying! Glad he got home safe. And guess he got a good lesson on the complexities of travel!

Believe it or not, I have an update on this story.

The day after he got back, I went online to Delta and found their comment/complaint area. I laid out the problems DS had (original flight late forcing a connecting flight change, plane collision delaying the boarding of the new connecting flight, then the maintenance issue). I got a call back today from Delta saying they're giving DS 20K bonus miles for his trouble.

Of course, nothing for me or DW for waiting for hours :rotfl2:, but I still think that's a good result.

The day after he got back, I went online to Delta and found their comment/complaint area. I laid out the problems DS had (original flight late forcing a connecting flight change, plane collision delaying the boarding of the new connecting flight, then the maintenance issue). I got a call back today from Delta saying they're giving DS 20K bonus miles for his trouble.

Of course, nothing for me or DW for waiting for hours :rotfl2:, but I still think that's a good result.

Not bad at all. He shoukd be able to swing a domestic flight with those miles.

Wow, that is an enormous amount of miles, especially if he is not an elite FF member.

Glad he got home safe even though it was a lot later than you were expecting.
My 13 year old daughters flew on Southwest by themselves the end of the summer. Their flight was delayed all day, they would up getting Southwest credit. I was surprised since we didn't complain

20,000 SkyPesos is more than I'm spending on my next flight to WDW. Total delay in between scheduled arrival time and actual was about 6 hours?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!