Things you were stunned that people didn't know?

Yes. Guess you don't understand what I'm trying to convey. In life its normal to pick some things up along the way be reading, traveling, talking to people and so forth. Even things we don't care about. And yes not all things will stick. To not have a desire to learn about things in general to me is a very sad way to go through life.

The wine glass thing is definitely one that has either never reared its ugly head prior to this thread, or obviously didn't stick.

Or "step foot in."

I moved to the south (specifically Memphis, TN) and get frustrated by the sheer number of people who use the word "axed" for asked and "did" instead of done. Clearly basic grammar is not being reinforced in the home. It's not being taught in the schools very well either as we had a principal who told us to not correct students when they said things like this.

It is the vernacular of the area, not a mark of stupidity.

Sure has been a lot of South hating going on lately.

Not that I would care about being served wine in the wrong glass, but you can get cheap wine glasses at Walmart. Obviously, they're not up to serious oenophile standards, but they're red or white specific. Glasses have a way of walking off the cabinet here, so we go with the cheap option. Like I said, I couldn't care less about showing up to a party & being served white wine in a red glass. I've even drank sparkling wine in a wine glass, when we've had too many take the leap & haven't replenished them. This is just a "just so you know" type of post.

OT: I wouldn't want to serve out the wrong wine glass either (I assure you I don't care, its for guests, I promise if I have a glass of white and then red in the same evening I'm NOT getting another glass dirty) and have the fancy pants crystal, but its too good for me, the neighbors, and my friends every day. "The cat" used to destroy a lot of my cheap wineglasses, so I got the red/wine stemless. I seem to be able to keep them much better.

Sometimes those darn glasses try to commit suicide, I'm sure of it.

OT: I wouldn't want to serve out the wrong wine glass either (I assure you I don't care, its for guests, I promise if I have a glass of white and then red in the same evening I'm NOT getting another glass dirty) and have the fancy pants crystal, but its too good for me, the neighbors, and my friends every day. "The cat" used to destroy a lot of my cheap wineglasses, so I got the red/wine stemless. I seem to be able to keep them much better.
Good idea. Our "cat" is a DS that breaks them at a crazy rate. Glasses, bowls, etc. Nothing is safe here.

I remember one time a friend and I were talking and it turned out that she didn't know that white wine and red wine typically go in to 2 different type wine glasses. What I remember most is that I was so shocked that she didn't know that, that when I think back on it I feel as if I must have come across as a snob, or at least a wine snob. I remember I was like "WHAT" you didn't know that???

I just learned something new! I'm 55 and I had no idea. I'm off to go look it up. I don't drink much, but I have gone wine tasting and never been given separate glasses. The last time I was at the Biltmore estates.

So you are proposing something like this? What can I put in this hand to make you forget about Ned Flanders?

Ohhhhhh...you are good NFLDERS!!! You are really good!!!

Loved this... Thanks. I'll have to think on an acceptable token offering and, get back to you!

Last edited:
My neighbor taught me and dh something new

That texting is social media

I always thought of the

Dis
Facebook
Twitter

as social media but not texting

A had a young girl working for me helping around the house. She was 18 and had just finished high school. I home school my kids so have lots of educational stuff around. She was looking at a globe and asking me where different countries were. After awhile she finally got up the courage to ask my why they put it on a ball. She was stunned to find out the world was not flat. This was 2015. I know Honduras is behind the curve but that one floored me.

I went to college in a small town surrounded by corn. Several of us were city girls adjusting to life in a small town. One of the girls was stunned one night while some one was talking about living on a dairy farm and how she helped milk the cows. The girl did not know milk came from cows, said she only knew it came from the store.

That "regular" bread and pasta have wheat in them.

The movie "Sleepless in Seattle" even has a line where she says "I'll have white bread, I'm allergic to wheat." Erg.

Yesterday at the grocery store a lady in the pasta isle asked me for help. She wanted normal pasta and it said "made with wheat" on the package. I asked if she needed gluten free and it turned out she just didn't want whole grain or extra fiber. I had to reassure her that regular pasta was made with wheat.
Oh my gosh, yes.

I am gluten free. So I am offered "white" bread" in place of wheat. o_O

Um, no. I need bread made without any wheat. Even overly processed wheat. :rolleyes:

A had a young girl working for me helping around the house. She was 18 and had just finished high school. I home school my kids so have lots of educational stuff around. She was looking at a globe and asking me where different countries were. After awhile she finally got up the courage to ask my why they put it on a ball. She was stunned to find out the world was not flat. This was 2015. I know Honduras is behind the curve but that one floored me.

I went to college in a small town surrounded by corn. Several of us were city girls adjusting to life in a small town. One of the girls was stunned one night while some one was talking about living on a dairy farm and how she helped milk the cows. The girl did not know milk came from cows, said she only knew it came from the store.

"Common knowledge" really is dependent on your upbringing & so many other things.

Why is step foot in wrong?

Maybe I'm using the wrong context but I have said 'I will never step foot in that store'.

Oh wait, as I was writing this out I realized it's SET foot in..

Don't mind me.

We say both down here. They are interchangeable. I would never set/step foot in that place.

I had a friend who thought you could open the windows on a jet plane.

I am embarrassed to admit that up until a few years ago I could never understand why people went to turkey shoots. I thought they really shot at live turkeys.....not that you won a frozen turkey if you had the best marksmanship!o_O

MJ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter