Things you were stunned that people didn't know?

Wine is my hobby and I didn't know that. None of the wineries switch glasses when you go tasting. Except for champagne....which legally they can only call sparkling in most cases.

Right? That's what I was thinking. I grew up in wine county and I've been wine tasting. But the only reason I know about the different wine glass thing is that my family's taste for restaurants tend to lean towards the old, classic and pricy side.

I have adopted from China and it is irritating to me that people especially other adoptive parents think that China is made up of providences instead of provinces.

What? But there are "provinces" elsewhere. Like Canada. That's not an exotic thing at all.

Wine is my hobby and I didn't know that. None of the wineries switch glasses when you go tasting. Except for champagne....which legally they can only call sparkling in most cases.
I don't know, wine is my sister's hobby (huge wine cellar, wine fridge, many trips to napa and Sonoma each year, special flight case for bringing bottles home from Europe, sommelier courses), and she has several different types of glasses, red, white, port... and always insists on using the correct glasses.

The wine glass posts made me think of how many people don't know the basics of setting a table. Like fork on the left, knife and spoon on the right, etc. We did chores in my family and I was taught this at a young age. My pet peeve is when I'm out to dinner with a large group or at a wedding, and the person sitting to my right drinks out of my water glass (which is on their left, instead of theirs, on their right). Then it messes up everyone else at the table.

Or "I seen"... :sad2:

I moved to the south (specifically Memphis, TN) and get frustrated by the sheer number of people who use the word "axed" for asked and "did" instead of done. Clearly basic grammar is not being reinforced in the home. It's not being taught in the schools very well either as we had a principal who told us to not correct students when they said things like this.

At the winery tasting wine, the wine isn't going to be in the glass long enough to make a difference. But in a dinner situation, it will. But yes, typically red wines are usually served in glasses with larger bowls. That's to allow the bolder aroma to come forth. White wine glasses typically have smaller bowls and the wine will stay chilled longer. But a lot of places don't distinguish.

You realize what you just did, don't you? I have always read your name as Newfoundlanders, but NOW all my brain sees is Ned Flanders. Thanks for that!

DANG! I did not want that end result. :teeth: Now, I'll send you a large box of Maple Timbits, are we good? :)

Last edited:
DANG! I did not want that end result. :teeth: Now, I'll send you a large box of Maple Timbits, are we good? :)

So you are proposing something like this? What can I put in this hand to make you forget about Ned Flanders?

Ohhhhhh...you are good NFLDERS!!! You are really good!!!

I know but we only have wine at home if we're hosting people. We have lots of parties and host Thanksgiving and Christmas. Having one or two specialty glasses does not make sense for us.
Not that I would care about being served wine in the wrong glass, but you can get cheap wine glasses at Walmart. Obviously, they're not up to serious oenophile standards, but they're red or white specific. Glasses have a way of walking off the cabinet here, so we go with the cheap option. Like I said, I couldn't care less about showing up to a party & being served white wine in a red glass. I've even drank sparkling wine in a wine glass, when we've had too many take the leap & haven't replenished them. This is just a "just so you know" type of post.

Don't take it personally (or is it "personal"- lol). I guarantee you these are among our geniuses who also couldn't name more than six US presidents.

I, um, think 6 might be pushing it. I don't know what demographic they drew from that video- maybe the local college bar during happy hour...

When I was at school in the 1950s, there was the "Old World", meaning Europe, the "New World" meaning the Americas and the "Third World" meaning everywhere else especially the impoverished parts.
So, on that basis, the US is part of the second world!

ford family

Wait, what? First world, second, world, and third world have nothing to do with old and new world. I realize you're talking about the 50s, but first, second, and third world terms came about during the Cold War. The US has always been part of the first world.

That "regular" bread and pasta have wheat in them.

The movie "Sleepless in Seattle" even has a line where she says "I'll have white bread, I'm allergic to wheat." Erg.

Yesterday at the grocery store a lady in the pasta isle asked me for help. She wanted normal pasta and it said "made with wheat" on the package. I asked if she needed gluten free and it turned out she just didn't want whole grain or extra fiber. I had to reassure her that regular pasta was made with wheat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter