Things I Need to Work On. (edited to add...Posts welcome)

Well, all in all, I was pretty bad.:p I ate out almost every day for the first week of Winter Break, then noshed on very salty foods, like chips and dip and Harry and David's Smoked Turkey (BLECH! Way too much salt and fat, but it did make a fabulous soup base!) for the second week. I also became a martini drinker (Vodka, shaken, not stirred), and found out about why I don't drink cheap wine.:rolleyes: So I have learned that I would rather drink good wine and forgo Martinis, but' alas, DH has developed quite an affinity for the drink. New Years Eve was tough and New Years Morning was worse. I don't often get hangovers, and I guess every decade or so, I need to get one to remind myself why I don't drink at parties!

Went with the whole family to Indianapolis to see Trans Siberian Orchestra, and had a great time. Too bad though. Indy is a beautiful city, and should be more inviting. However, on our walk from the beautiful Murat Theater to the Omni Severin Hotel, there was nobody on the streets, but myself, DH, DS, and DD, and the homeless. :( I kept saying that it reminded me of Ft. Lame but couldn't figure out why nobody was out and about. In Ft. Lame there is no reason to be out and about, but Indy has lots of fun spots that should have been bustling with people on the night before New Year's Eve. Instead, I guess poeple would rather stay home than deal with the tough realilty of poverty and homelessness. DS was scared to death on our walk back to the hotel. (Reminiscient of John Belushi on the steps of Dean Wormers office in Animal House. :p ) I told him to stop acting like a victem and not 30 seconds later we were approached by the first of 3 homeless people who would darken out spirits that evening. But we still had a good time and left the next day to host our very first New Year's Eve Party. Probably our last. Our food was not the best, and the kid to adult ratio was way too high! But I think everybody had fun. We made Canadian Cheese soup (ala Le Cellier at WS). Yummy! Then we watched the Rose Bowl, and My Wolverines got slobberknocked! Oh well! It's just a game.

Now the kiddies are back to school and I am trying to get back to my routine. The final damage was a 4 pound gain. I'm not going to let it get me down untill my weigh in next month, as this months was the day I started TOM, so I'll see what happens in a few weeks after I get back on track with exercise. I can tell I'm puffy from salt, as my 10's still fit, but I'm just jiggly. I'm not making any New Years resolutions, as I figure I'm not giving up on My WISH for good health and I didn't slip up too bad. I don't have any real vice except coffee and even that is only 1-2 cups a day. Don't drink soda or eat junk food. I guess I could resolve to be more organized. That will have to be it, but I'm not counting on it! It's tough when you're practically perfect. :p
Keep the Faith!

Watch out Tracy or I'll start calling you Mary (for Mary Poppins - practically perfect in every way). :teeth:

You've done well and that 4 pounds will be history in no time! I know I'm happy to be back in the regular routine of work and school again because I tend to do better with my food and my water drinking. Hopefully your routine will help you to get back in the groove too!

I'm glad to see you posting to your journal! I've missed you! :sunny:

Doe,
Mary has a nice ring to it, and of course that was exactly what was in my mind as I attempted to describe how I was feeling about me today! Tried to get into my groove today, but will have to wait 'til tomorrow. To much "after the holiday" business to take care of today and I am beat! (Had to switch all my financials form one institution to another and all the auto pays and so on that go with. UGH!) So tomorrow is the day. Can't wait to get to the gym and clear my head. Congrats on your successes lately. I have not even been lurking over the winter break, so I have some catching up to do here as well! Take care :angel:

Taking a page form Doreens journal, I'm going to outline my daily goals. Here goes!

1. Drink Water, at least 64 oz.
2. Go to gym.
3. Clean living room.
4. Laundry
5. Make bread for dinner tonight.

Yesterday was pretty good though I did not exercise.
Brekky was Oat Bran w/slenda, skim milk and raisins.

Lunch was a ceasar salad.

Dinner we went to Smokey Bones. I had 4 ribs and a garden salad w/ Santa Fe dressing.

BUT, my downfall was snacking! Still snacking on Holiday leftovers. (Cheese, chips chocolate!:rolleyes: )

6. Throw out leftover garbage!

I'm off to start on the laundry, living room and breakfast/water.

Noon and I have:

3/4 of my water down.
3/4 of the living room cleaned. (much to the detriment of the rest of the house! :rolleyes: )
Only one load of laundry!

Not too bad though.

1. Drank all my water!
2. Did not go to the gym!:mad:
3. Cleaned the living room!
4. Did most of the laundry, now I have to Iron.:crazy:
5. Did not make bread.
6. Did get rid of all the garbage!:bounce: :bounce:

Now for the bad news! I went with DH to the crack House. Had chips, salsa, one veggie and one mostly veggie fajita. Aslo one margarita. Feeling a bit tipsy when I got home and just had to try this new vodka. Ciroc. Made from grapes. Tastes like a very clean grappa, but makes a lousy martini.

Todays Goals:

Water-64 oz. isn't enough for me. I had tachy heart all night last night. Could also be because I didn't eat much yesterday.:rolleyes:

Work in DD's class. Blah! Really don't want to go there, but it is my job!

Shopp for healthy snacks, and lunch food for kids. School lunches are atrocious! Breaded turkey sandwich, bisuits and gravy, chicken fried steak, are the usual offerings! Plus chocolate milk and desserts! Not a piece of fruit, but ice cream, cookies and even donuts! Sat through lunch with DD once. Most kids eat dessert first, (go figure), have the choc molk and pick at the rest of their food. No wonder when DD comes home she's hungry!:mad:

Bake bread that I didn't do yesterday.:o

Go to the gym.

Lunch with DH.

I'm really tired today. Had to have DS to school by 5:30 this am, and did not sleep well last night. I have no real energy to go to the gym but I think I'll got to work with my gym bag packed, go from there to lunch with Gary, then to the gym then to the market then home and make my bread. Yum! (I hate the bread from the market.)

That's my plan.

Goals for the day:

1. Water...32 oz. down!
2. Exercise...Pilates for 25 mins, done!
3. Get Oil changed in Van
4. Go to gym and walk for 30 mins.
5. Make dinner. Spaghetti! (this also means clean the kitchen that my family trashed last night and this morning! It looks like a college apt! :rolleyes: )
6. Do loads!
7. Start taking down Holiday decor. BLAGH! (I hate that job!)

Some thoughts about where i'm at:

Pilates was hard today. I'm out of shape. I will work on my strength and take aerobics easy for a while until my energy level improves.

The cold is really affecting me. Totally slows me down. All I want to do is crawl into or a nice hot bath! Must keep moving.

I'm doing really well on my portion control! That is good news since it was one of the lifestyle changes I needed to make a priority. I sometimes "over eat", but not really. I just get very full on much less food. That is good news. Now that I have some healthy snacks in the house, I will have a much easier time keeping that blasted bloat fairy from bothering me!

I need to get back to 1-2 glasses of wine instead of the 2-3 I was ingulging myself in over the holidays. :rolleyes: Party is over.

I have to make my upcoming trip to Europe a focal point. I will do much better if I picture myself able (Physically, if not financially) able to do some serious clothes shopping while there.:D

OK time to hit the shower and have brekky. (Wasn't hungry for some reason this a.m. Maybe that's why Pilates was so hard?)

First thing's first. I just noticed a new tag, and despite my pretty lousy day, (and it's only 8:40 :rolleyes: ) it really made me laugh! So an already bright spot to my day. Thanks TF! :p

Goals for today:

Drink my water. (been lax the past few days)
Go with DD to gym at 5:00 (hopefully most will be having dinner)
Take down the remaining Holiday decor.
Marinate chicken for dinner.
Hug my kids, because we got off to a pretty bad start today. :(

Meals:

Brekky:
1/4C. oatbran
3/4C. skim Milk
1/3 mango

Total cals-175

Lunch should be a yummy salad and dinner, BBQ chicken w/roasted veggies and DS's famous chili vinaigrette. OMG, I'm drooling just thinking about it! ::yes:: Maybe an Odwalla bar for snack.

I had a so-so salad for lunch. Romaine, chicken, mushrooms, avocado, onion, walnuts and parmesean cheese. DD left the goat cheese opened and it got funky, which is why the salad was so-so. I was really looking forward to goat cheese smothered walnuts. Total for my so-so salad, a whopping 500 calories! Thanks to the avocado and walnuts. But it's good fat right?

Calorie intake > 675 calories. Not really too bad. Dinner should be right around 600.

Rounding out the day with my dinner report. Did just what I said. Yummy BBQ chicken with roasted veggies and chili garlic vinagrette. OMG! I ate so many veggies and I am stuffed, but it's OK. Veggies are almost free.

Did not get to the gym, but did dance through my chores and was busy all day. DD is a bit disappointed but we will go tomorrow, as I will have had dinner already and she gets home earlier!

UGH! still didn't get the decor down! And I didn't hug my kids!!!
See ya! have some hugs and kisses to hand out! ::yes::

I'm in such a good mood! Listening to Music from the Parks! Zippidee Doo Da! Zippidee aye!

I am so tired today. DS had me up until midnight last night and the had his clock alarm go off at 5!

Today's Goals:

Drink more water. I've been at a training seminar all morning and need to play catch up!

Do Ironing. Blah!

Got to Y.

Not much time for anything else, as it is already 1 o'clock. I guess I need to fix dinner too, so I'm not tempted to go off plan.

Meals:

Brekky:
Oat bran with splenda, skim milk and mango. 175 calories

Snack:
Odwalla bar 240 calories

Lunch:
Salad w/ grilled chicken, roasted eggplant, yellow and red bell peppers, tomato, mushroom, onion, asparagus, and chili garlic vinaigrette.
190 calories

That puts me at 600 calories. Right on target!

UGH!
Just finished dinner. BBW chicken breast, with spanish rice and salsa. Very yummy, but I over did the rice and now I'm uncomfortable. DD is requiring me to take her to the gym right now! Well at least I stayed close to my goals today, but I know the rice was loaded w/ salt. (Doctored rice-a-ronie:p ) Total calories for the day 1380.

Well we did get to the gym, and it was so crowded, I had towait 45 mins for a machine! :rolleyes: So I went int the hot tub for a while and then thought I's swim with the kids. WRONG! Water was way too cold. Upon exiting the pool I stepped on something and bruised the bottom of my foot!:rolleyes: It hurt so badly, I could hardly put any weight on it. So much for my work out. I sat in the steam and sauna for a while, and had a lovely discussion with a lady from New Jersey. She was very nice and we had a ball bashing Ft. Lame. :hyper: I hope we bump into eachother again. (Not that common gripes are anything to base a friendship on, but she and I have at least one thing in common, besides not liking our current location. We both need to lose a few pounds. Maybe I could talk her into joining WISH.::yes::

Woke up this a.m. with a headache. I think the coffee may have killed it, but I still feel it lurking. Maybe some Motrin before I head off to School.

Goals for today:

Water. Still not getting enough.

Stay ON PLAN. This will be tough because DH is scheduled to return this evening and of course he wants to go to the crack house. DD does not want to go and I so admire her for that. She won't admit it, (just says we eat there too much and she hates it) but truth is those chips and salsa are addictive. We all say we will not eat them, but like anything else, when they're brought to the table, who can resist? She knows it, and so do the rest of us. We have collectively decided that the salsa is the crack and the chip is merely the delivery system. DS said he would eat the chips without the salsa, kind of like the addict who just sticks themselves with the needle, or burns an empty pipe. (I am in no way belittling the situation addicts face. It is hard enough to kick the food thing, I can only imagine how hard it must be to get a hold of something that causes actual physical changes.) So that will be my challenge for the day.

Go to the gym. I think my foot is feeling better, but if not, I will do Pilates. (not much standing work.)

Again, not much else I can squeeze into this day.

Meals:

Brekky:
Usual oatbran w/ fruit 175 cals.

Day one SB

Well, I stuck to the plan, except I only had one snack and no dessert. I got a little hungry around 4, but managed to hold off 'til dinner which was at 6. (I did have my afternoon snack, and didn't watnt to have 2.) Drank some water and just stayed busy. Dinner was ok. Nothing really exciting. I had Trout instead of the salmon called for in the meal plan. DD had the fish kabobs from the meal plan and said they were good. DS and DH had yummmmmmmy broiled talapia in coconut curry sauce. Not on my plan, and it is one of my favorites. Oh well, in a few months maybe. Asparagus and a tossed salad rounded out my meal. We did make the Ricotta cream and it was good, but a bit too sweet for me, so I let DS have it. I'll probably try it again with a bit less splenda. DD didn't like it. Too gritty. I didn't let texture bother me too much. I did try whipping it with a mixer, but it was only marginally better. I'd rather not do the extra dishes and deal with the texture.

I did have a headache all day, but I'm certain it had nothing to do with the diet, as I awoke with it. I was pretty much a basket case after dinner though. "Looks like I picked a bad week to quit drinking." (Lloyd Bridges in Airplane :rolleyes: ) DH came home and told me he was on the receiving end of a potentially career threatening miscommunication. (My assessment, not his) I prevailed and touched not a drop, though I have found he has no problem drinking alone. He went straight for the Scotch. "... do me a favor and fill a glass with ice? And while you're at it, put some Scotch in it." (Tracy, the real estate barroness to Matthew Perry's partner in Fools Rush In) Of course I'm thinking not only is he out of a job, but he'll never work in the Aerospace industry again. (Seems he irritated a gentleman who works for a world leader in Aerospace. I don't want to mention the company, but there are ony a few to choose from. :rolleyes: )
Needless to say, I didn't sleep a wink, and when I did manage to catch a Z or 2, I was dreaming about moving in with our Grandparents! :eek:

Today is a new day. I have had breakfast and am getting ready to Pilate. Even though SB works without exercise, I feel it is even more important to do what I can to maintain strength and muscle mass. I am afraid I'll be burning it instead of fat, and turn into a bag of bones. I think I'm going to grab a cheat free clippie! (is it cheating when you don't have snacks and dessert?)

I'll report again tomorrow.

OOOOPS! I just realized, this was my 1000th post! It must be a sign!

Day 3 SB.

Haven't cheated yet. Last night was hard. I had steak, mashed cauliflower, (which wasn't bad, but still nothing like mashed potatos. I would not recommend them to someone who doesn't like cauliflower, though the Atkins version with real butter and heavy cream may be better ;) ) and salad and fresh cauliflower and celery dipped in hummus. I don't know why things were so hard . I think it was mostly because DH was drinking cocktails, and seemed to be enjoying himself a bit too Much. Though I wasn't craving anything, from a physical standpoint, I was annoyed with him slightly, and I had a headache. I don't feel any thinner, on fact, I am feeling quite bloated, maybe from the salt on the steak, or maybe from lack of fiber, though I eat so many veggies and the cauliflower should have helped, I was hoping. Anyway, I am a bit disgusted today and feel like this is going to ba a waste of time, but 10 more days is not a big deal. DD is really enjoying thefoods with me and may have even lost a pound or two, so that much is good. Anyway, today is a new day!

Day 4 on SB

Yesterday was difficult. I spent most of it feeling wiped out. I have been following this thing to the letter, and did not feel like anything but bad until I varied from the plan by making myself a taco salad. I put 3 0z of ground sirloin over a large bed of icegurg (blech) lettuce and a half avocado and a small roma tomato, with a tablespoon of FF sour cream and a bit of cilantro. It was Ok, and I finally had the energy I have been promised from SB. Still feeling bloated and irregular, which has become a major irritation. I am reluctant to do the metamucil thin, as I see it not unlike using laxatives to loose weight. (Just my own hang-up, I know. :rolleyes: ) I do like the mini quiche cups, and the turkey roll ups, but other than that, most of the food in this book is rather bland. I will have to kick things up a notch if I'm going to keep eating like this.

All night, last night, I dreamt I keep sneaking bread! :eek: I really don't like that. Anyway, 4 days down, 10 to go. In between all that, TOM should arrive, and I guess that will be the true test. I think I may stay on Phase one until Day 5 of TOM, which is when I normally weigh in. That should be somewhere around Feb, 16th. That means a few days over 2 weeks, but if it gives me a good loss, then it will be worth it. If not, I will decide on a new course of action.

Sorry to hear you're not enjoying SB more. :( I've got to give you credit for sticking it out though, to see if it works! ::yes::

I hope you start feeling better soon and find enjoyable foods to eat.

Here's an extra :hug: !

that's rough that you're having a hard time with phase 1 of sb. i hope you can make it through! and once you get to phase 2, you should be able to vary your food intake more, and hopefully that will make it easier. good luck! :)

Thanks for the support Doe and Marsh. I'm still pretty sure I am not the best candidate for this particular diet. Some things have been good though. My DD is doing very well, though obviously not following the plan prcisely (She's not yet 11), some of the changes she has made are giving her good results. Even she says, "Mom, don't ge discouraged. Maybe your body type just isn't cut out for this type of plan." Then as she smooths her shirt, she says "But I think mine is." :teeth: She may be right. The other good thing is I have decided I am not an alchie!
: :hyper: I was really worried that my nightly cocktail would be difficult to not indulge in, but not a problem. I really don't miss it other than I miss it, if you know what I mean.

Still I woke up this morning more bloated than ever. My waistline is non-existant, and my arms were falling asleep all night last night, which indicates I'm consuming too much salt. I think from the cheese and balance subtitute, as well as the egg subs. I don't know. I will probably weigh in on thursday, for a one week analysis. I will keep in mind my proximity to TOM and try to get myself over it. Dinners are getting difficult, as DS and DH are not ready to eat the tings called for in the book, so we went to Hooters last night. I had a large garden salad with vinaigrette and 3 naked wings. I did not eat the fried pickles or drink anything but iced tea. Had pistascios for dessert when we got home. I know wings are on foods to be avoided, but I think there was less than an ounce of meat between them, so I'm keeping my clippe!

Day 6 on SB.

Yesterday went pretty well, other than the kids were out for another snow day, so that puts a real crimp on my exercise routine, and I did spend way too much time here on the DIS.:D
But I have stuck with this and am beginning Day 7 today. Checked the meal plan for today and decided that Smoke Salmon Fritatta was no place I wanted to go today. That is way too much salt for me, (though I wouldn't think twice about slathering a bagel with cream cheese and throwing a slab of lox on it! :tongue: ) so I opted instead for some cottage cheese with cucumber and tomato and a hard boiled egg. I think I'm getting way too much cheese, so I'm cutting back further. (I never use the reccommeded amount anyway, as I dont really like cheese. I only use enough to hold things together)

Yesterday's dinner was gross! Balsamic chicken. (what a waste of time and good chicken! I get my chicken from a local amish farm and it is expensive!) I should have known better than to marinate anything in balsamic overnight. But I did thinking that most of the dinner entrees have been bland and maybe this would perk things up. It tasted like sour chicken. Sour and still bland. (I make my own version of this anyway, just use Newman's Balsamic and marinate for 3-4 hours, and it is great!)The good Dr. A may be a great cardiologist, and nutritionist, but a chef he's not.;) However, I do like most of the brekky dishes and the snacks as well. The lunches are almost exactly what I ususally have for lunch anyway, so that is good, too. The dinners have been disappointing though. I always leave the table unsatisfied. Full, but unsatisfied. And usually, by bed time, I'm hungry. I just go to bed. (And wake up ravenous!)

I jsut can't figure out why my pants aren't falling off yet! My 10's are still tight and my twelves I can wear very comfortably with longjohns underneath. But I was hoping by now they would be too big. The thing I am thinking is that Dr. A says that you lose belly fat first. Well guss what? I'm a pear, not an apple. So all my weight is in my hips and butt. Asl, though I may be losing belly fat, it is being offset by the bloat. So, I will continue to struggle through until Feb 16. That will be my day of reckoning. I keep telling myself I had better lose 10 pounds, or it isn't worth it, but if I lose the 8 pounds promised, I will probably continue, but on phase one untill I leave the 140's. (10 pounds from start.)
That's my plan...I'm sticking to it!

you are unbelievably determined! even though you're not really enjoying your dinners, i'm so impressed that you're not giving in to late night snacking! and that balsalmic chicken does sound nasty. balsalmic is a very strong taste, marinating overnight does NOT sound like a good idea! seriously, whoever thought that was a good idea must not have really thought it through :rolleyes: .

i'm sorry you're not seeing the results in your jeans that you'd like. my only advice is to give it a little more time. i know it's frustrating, but i'm sure you'll get there. just keep sticking to the plan, and i'm sure things will start to happen for you! :)

hope you have a great day today :sunny:

I'm glad you're enjoying your first two meals of the day - that's a plus! Sorry that your dinners have been less than satisfying. I know that feeling of being full but not satisfied. I can deal with it once in a while but it sounds like an every-day occurrance for you. Here's a :hug: and a sincere wish that you can find something you really love for dinner on SB.

Getting rid of that bloated feeling is one of my favorite things about low-carb. I do hope that extra water weight disappears soon for you!

Take good care of you!! :sunny:

Day 7 on SB

Yesterday went fairly well. I have to say I do much better without the snacks, and cheese. :confused: For brekky I had a hard boiled egg and some cottage cheese with chopped tomato and cucumber. No snack and lunch was hummus and broccoli and cauliflower and my last 3 Hooters wings. (I don't think I'll order those again. Why bother? :p ) I did get a bit hungry around 3 and had a mini spinach quiche. Dinner was "DA BOMB"! DH and I went to the crack house! We split an order of steak fajitas. He had the tortillas and the steak, I had the tomatos onions, peppers, guacamole, and pico de gallo, and a little bit of crack on top. (Crack is their salsa! It is addictive!:teeth: ) I did not touch one crack delivery system (i.e. tortilla chips), or one drop of DH's margarita. (Though I did find myself absentmindedly reaching for both! :crazy: ) I went home feeling triumphant, and went to bed without another bite of food. I did wake up ravenous today, however. I will weigh in today after lunch. I know I'm holding water from the crack last night, as my arms kept falling asleep last night. So I'm drinking tons of water, trying to flush out the salt. I figure if it's not gone by lunchtime, it's mine to keep. I'll report back after lunch.
Dinner tonight is Senagalese Lemon Chicken soup. It is a Cooking Light recipe, but has no off limits ingredients except rice, which I will use beansprouts as a sub. I really had such a good day yesterday, in large part because I enjoyed my dinner. I think I am going to make some of my own recipes from now on for dinner and just make them SB acceptable.
Yep! Yesterday was OK!
:teeth:

Weigh In: 147

How I feel about it: It has been the hardest 3 pounds I've ever lost in my life. Still, it is 3 pounds. :D Off to Pilates! Boost that Metabloism! Maybe if the snow starts flying, I'll head to the gym, do some cardio and sit in the steamroom. UMMMM!

Day 8 on SB

I'm over half way through Phase one and I am still in a funk about this. Yesterday was very hard. I had a yucky egg beater, red pepper and canadian bacon scrambled eggs for breakfast, a humongous salad for lunch, (hoping for the best) and dinner was so hot, I could only eat a little. It was good, but my endorphines were in overload. I really felt a bit tipsy. Next time I make it, I'll remove the habanero befor it disintegrates into mush. :eek: I have a lot left over. Hopefully it will mellow overnight!

I don't expect my mood to improve anytime soon. With TOM waiting to pounce, DH in Montreal for a week and constant school closings/dalays, I just am about toasted. But I will keep on going.
I really like my new pilates DVD. It is ther first time ever doing pilates that I feel like I am getting a good workout, and they are only 20 min sessoins. I just try to do 2-3 sessions / day. I am also concerened that I am burning muscle, as my skin is kind of wrinkly, and I feel it in my legs when I have to use the stairs. I really don't like that. It scares me, so I need to make a concerted effort to make sure I am getting my exercise to keep the muscle. I'm too old to have to try to re-gain that. Anyway, ever faithful to SB (for now:p )

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter